• No

427 37.82%
    OT:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/29/noki...y-juniper.html
    Nokia prepares offer to buy Juniper; shares skyrocket nearly 20%

Props to ST
    rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    11-29-17 03:58 PM
    And no suitor for BlackBerry even with all the growth areas they are invested in. That is the John Chen malus

Posted via CB10
    11-29-17 05:24 PM
    And no suitor for BlackBerry even with all the growth areas they are invested in. That is the John Chen malus

Posted via CB10
    What is Malus, I'm not a sharp man and I don't understand what you are trying to say! You can ask anyone here and they will tell you that i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. please tell me what you mean by the word malus! One more thing, I need someone to manufacture my suit, do you want that job?

Cheers gang and lets go TFC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    11-29-17 06:20 PM
    So I finally took a minute (or 60) to catch up on all things BlackBerry. Nice to see the brood still working hard here. Thanks again.

Funny little post I saw today from some group called Concord Register that is using a new term.
    JDOG, if you think malus is hard to wrap your noggin around, try and decipher this statement:

Blackberry Ltd (BBRY) shares are being watched closely by traders as the Awesome Oscillator signal is revealing an upward trend building over the past five bars, signaling that market momentum is building for the name.
    Ok, anyone ever seen this 'AO' term used before?

PS - I can see likes on my Passport that I have given again on this thread again! Thanks CrackBerry!
    11-29-17 07:19 PM
    So I finally took a minute (or 60) to catch up on all things BlackBerry. Nice to see the brood still working hard here. Thanks again.

Funny little post I saw today from some group called Concord Register that is using a new term.
    JDOG, if you think malus is hard to wrap your noggin around, try and decipher this statement:

Blackberry Ltd (BBRY) shares are being watched closely by traders as the Awesome Oscillator signal is revealing an upward trend building over the past five bars, signaling that market momentum is building for the name.
    Ok, anyone ever seen this 'AO' term used before?

PS - I can see likes on my Passport that I have given again on this thread again! Thanks CrackBerry!
    The Awesome Oscillator is an indicator used to measure market momentum. AO calculates the difference of a 34 Period and 5 Period Simple Moving Averages. The Simple Moving Averages that are used are not calculated using closing price but rather each bar's midpoints. I can wrap my head around that , but can you wrap your head around BBJDOG Oscillator? LMHO
    11-29-17 07:35 PM
    11-29-17 10:23 PM
    What is Malus, I'm not a sharp man and I don't understand what you are trying to say! You can ask anyone here and they will tell you that i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. please tell me what you mean by the word malus! One more thing, I need someone to manufacture my suit, do you want that job?

Cheers gang and lets go TFC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Malus" stands for a CEO that prevents the creation of shareholder value with questionable behavior like
    - instead of celebrating new customer wins in one of the most important divisions (QNX) he shoots down investor enthusiasm by stressing immediately that revenues from this win are far far away
    - instead of talking about the great product line up of the company he instead talks about future gaps in the product portfolio
    - instead of talking about leadership in the EMM markets he just says uncouth that MSFT can have the market, because he just gives a sh**t

Like at CMG it is time for a new CEO at BlackBerry that really understands the company and stands behind it and not only behind his own personal interests

Posted via CB10
    11-30-17 01:15 AM
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/democ...lace-john-chen
    Democracy or Autocracy in the Workplace?
    Published on November 29, 2017 / Featured in: Human Resources, Leadership & Management
    John Chen
    Executive Chairman and CEO at BlackBerry

Lately, there has been a great deal of attention paid to democracy. With most people spending a large portion of their adult life at work, I would like to discuss democracy in the workplace.

The 21st century vision of the ‘modern workplace’ seems to be one where operations are decentralized and decisions are made by majority vote. I would argue that a true democracy is an ideology that would not be successful, in the political arena or in the workplace. My personal leadership philosophy falls in between democratic and autocratic.

I am well in favor of hearing from all employees, having an open door policy myself and seeing every day that good ideas can come from anywhere, in a company as well as from customers and other stakeholders. I also like to maintain a relatively flat organization; at BlackBerry there is a maximum organizational depth that must be adhered to across all teams.

If business decisions needed the input of every employee and a majority vote, disaster would likely ensue. The decision-making system fosters speed of execution, a characteristic that is becoming increasingly important for businesses to be competitive. One of the tools I use is a Management Approval Process (MAP); a document that outlines the key decisions that need to be made across the company on a day-to-day basis and the approval parameters each employee has for those decisions. It delivers a clear set of guidelines that keeps the business moving fast, the best interests of customers and shareholders front-of-mind and allows employees to be empowered and work autonomously at the same time. It also stops the leadership team, including me, from becoming a bottleneck, while maintaining the right controls.

The stage a company is at in its lifecycle should also be given due consideration. When BlackBerry was in its turnaround phase, for example, the MAP was four times the size it is now, until the financial foundation and the company strategy were set.

I question whether a democracy is really what employees are looking for or whether what they want is to be heard and have autonomy over their own deliverables. Concurrently, most employees want a strong leader, with a clear vision, good values and accountability. These are ideals that are well achievable in the middle ground of democracy and autocracy.

Many of history’s most successful business leaders have shared a similar philosophy, perhaps even more weighted towards centralized operations, including Henry Ford and Walt Disney.

What has evolved in the modern world of work is, as the world becomes increasingly connected, we are spending an increasing amount of our adult life at work. Thus, it is important that the work environment be a pleasant and stimulating one. To add to that, in today’s world, businesses and business leaders have an increasing amount of influence over societal issues making it even more crucial that businesses set the example framework.

So, democracy or autocracy in the workplace? I say we can have the best of both of worlds.

John
    11-30-17 06:18 AM
    Last day for Marty Beard as COO.

https://twitter.com/martyjbeard
    Marty Beard @martyjbeard
    COO of BlackBerry with wide variety of interests across technology, literature, philosophy. And surfing.
    Got to love a guy with such interests in life.

Best of luck and best wishes for good health to his family.
    Last edited by Corbu; 11-30-17 at 06:40 AM.
    11-30-17 06:28 AM
    For those interested in the ongoing scary security files:

CIA to continue cloud push in the name of national security | ZDNet
    "It was revealed earlier today that the contents of a highly sensitive hard drive belonging to a division of the National Security Agency (NSA) had been left online on an unlisted, but public, AWS storage server without a password, leaving the disk image open for anyone to download. The virtual disk image contains over 100 gigabytes of data from an Army intelligence project, codenamed "Red Disk". The disk image belongs to the US Army's Intelligence and Security Command, known as INSCOM, a division of both the Army and the NSA, and is a snapshot of a hard drive dating back to May 2013 from a Linux-based server that formed part of the Red Disk cloud-based intelligence sharing system."

Stupid, stupid MacOS security flaw grants admin access to anyone | ZDNet
    "That means if you stole a Mac, or just get physical access to one while the owner is away, you own all the data on it. Can you say bad? I knew you could. This is an all-time security failure. I cannot think of anything to match it. All Macs running up-to-date macOS are wide-open for attacks. This exploit doesn't require any mad NSA-type hacker skillz. If you can use a keyboard you can get in."
    Last edited by rarsen; 11-30-17 at 09:08 AM.
    Corbu, W Hoa, morganplus8 and 2 others like this.
    11-30-17 08:47 AM
    Concurrently, most employees want a strong leader, with a clear vision, good values and accountability. These are ideals that are well achievable in the middle ground of democracy and autocracy.
    So employees of BB are really unlucky since John Chen seems to have neither a clear vision besides stuffing his own pockets nor does he have any rea accountability anymore with all the broken promises. At least he seems to have good values whatever they are worth for the stakeholders.
    11-30-17 10:48 AM
    [QUOTE=muhlan001;13083162]So employees of BB are really unlucky since John Chen seems to have neither a clear vision besides stuffing his own pockets ...

Maybe you should sell your shares and invest in a company you feel has a CEO that better meets your expectations. I am quite satisfied with what John Chen is doing. I believe we are still very early in an exciting turn around for BlackBerry. Patience will be rewarded as long as John and his team execute well, which it appears (to me) they are.

Sent from my Awesome Z30
    Corbu, morganplus8, W Hoa and 1 others like this.
    11-30-17 11:34 AM
    [QUOTE=robot_ca;13083187]
    So employees of BB are really unlucky since John Chen seems to have neither a clear vision besides stuffing his own pockets ...

Maybe you should sell your shares and invest in a company you feel has a CEO that better meets your expectations. I am quite satisfied with what John Chen is doing. I believe we are still very early in an exciting turn around for BlackBerry. Patience will be rewarded as long as John and his team execute well, which it appears (to me) they are.

Sent from my Awesome Z30
    Sorry my mistake, I forgot that in this restricted speech forum you are only allowed to post if you hail and praise mighty John Chen no matter how bad his track record is so far regarding shareholder value.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-17 01:33 PM
    Ha ha! No, not at all. Just seems your posts tend to be negative vs. critical. Could just be my interpretation. My take on Chen is he is very, very conservative and will do nothing that in the future could be interpreted as misleading to shareholders. Yes, I agree sometimes he is too honest or forthright about the company's short comings, which does tend to rain on the parade when the stock goes for a run. Better that than the other way around. The true rise in the share price will come with positive results. Analysts are still trying to figure out what the new BlackBerry is about and what the long term outlook looks like. It's going to likely take another year yet (my guess) for that picture to become much clearer. Hence, my reference to patience.

Sent from my Awesome Z30
    Corbu, W Hoa, La Emperor and 2 others like this.
    11-30-17 01:57 PM
    Ha ha! No, not at all. Just seems your posts tend to be negative vs. critical. Could just be my interpretation. My take on Chen is he is very, very conservative and will do nothing that in the future could be interpreted as misleading to shareholders. Yes, I agree sometimes he is too honest or forthright about the company's short comings, which does tend to rain on the parade when the stock goes for a run. Better that than the other way around. The true rise in the share price will come with positive results. Analysts are still trying to figure out what the new BlackBerry is about and what the long term outlook looks like. It's going to likely take another year yet (my guess) for that picture to become much clearer. Hence, my reference to patience.

Sent from my Awesome Z30
    I agree with you that being overly optimistic is not good also, but did you listen to the last interviews with John Chen? I mean which CEO does stressing over and over again in the public that the revenues from one of its biggest growth engines are far away? Every one know for example that the markets NVDA is adressing are still developing, but investors love the story and the CEO NVDA does not constantly babble to curb this enthusiasm.

And talking about future gaps in your product portfolio is not very professional. Also ridiculing your own market by saying MSFT can have it does also show that John Chen is not a responsible CEO.

Just my opinion sure, but honestly I find it hard to see anything positive in John Chen's erratic PR behavior.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-17 04:34 PM
    I mean which CEO does stressing over and over again in the public that the revenues from one of its biggest growth engines are far away? Every one know for example that the markets NVDA is adressing are still developing, but investors love the story and the CEO NVDA does not constantly babble to curb this enthusiasm.
    BlackBerry is still in the "show me the money" phase. Nvidia is not. Big difference there.

And talking about future gaps in your product portfolio is not very professional. Also ridiculing your own market by saying MSFT can have it does also show that John Chen is not a responsible CEO.
    The low end of MDM and has been commoditized by MSFT. No money there. For anyone. Identifying gaps in your product portfolio and letting people know you see the gaps and are trying to address them or open to M&A to close the gap is better than saying there is no gap.
    Corbu, morganplus8 and La Emperor like this.
    11-30-17 06:46 PM
    praise mighty John Chen no matter how bad his track record is so far regarding shareholder value.
    Shareholders value depends on when you bought the shares. I don't have that problem and if you take a few lessons from our pros on this thread, it won't be a problem for you. But repeating the same sad story over and over and over and over and over will not help.
    Corbu, morganplus8 and La Emperor like this.
    11-30-17 07:11 PM
    Positive opinion and potential list of acquirers article:

Why BlackBerry Ltd Is a Prime Takeover Target - Nasdaq.com
    Since Samsung offered to pay up to $15 per share for BlackBerry stock in 2015, and BB's software business has made a great deal of progress since then, I am confident that BB would not sell itself for less than $20 per share.
    morganplus8, Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    12-01-17 06:58 AM
    From my TD alerts

BlackBerry Accepts Ruling of International Chamber of Commerce International Court of Arbitration in Payment Dispute Filed by Nokia
    2017-12-01 09:16:03 AM ET (Marketwired)

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Dec. 1, 2017) - BlackBerry Limited (NYSE:BB)(TSX:BB) today announced that the International Chamber of Commerce's International Court of Arbitration has ruled against the company in a contract dispute with Nokia Corporation.

On April 28, 2016, Nokia filed a Request for Arbitration with the International Chamber of Commerce International Court of Arbitration. The dispute related to whether certain payments allegedly due under a patent license contract between the companies are in fact owed to Nokia under the terms of the agreement. On November 29, 2017, the arbitration panel awarded Nokia approximately $137 million.

The dispute did not involve any allegations of IP infringement and BlackBerry is continuing to pursue patent infringement claims against Nokia via suits filed in both Germany and the U.S.

In a prepared statement the company said: "BlackBerry is disappointed that the Court of Arbitration did not agree with our arguments in the case but we accept their decision. This ruling does not change BlackBerry's assertion that Nokia is infringing on our intellectual property and we are continuing to vigorously pursue legal remedies in both the U.S. and Germany."

BlackBerry will record the amount of the award as a one-time GAAP-only charge.
    Corbu, morganplus8 and W Hoa like this.
    12-01-17 08:28 AM
    Is that a charge that will show up this quarter or next

Posted via CB10
    12-01-17 08:32 AM
    Positive opinion and potential list of acquirers article:

Why BlackBerry Ltd Is a Prime Takeover Target - Nasdaq.com
    Since Samsung offered to pay up to $15 per share for BlackBerry stock in 2015, and BB's software business has made a great deal of progress since then, I am confident that BB would not sell itself for less than $20 per share.
    In my opinion MSFT would be a natural fit:

- QNX could be combined with MSFT own car OS business
    - UEM division could be combined with MSFT's EMM offerning
    - BBM Enterprise could be integrated into the Office 365 to dethrone Slack and TWLO
    - Patents could be used to prop up MSFT's existing revenue stream from licensing to Android handset makers
    - BBM consumer could just be sold or IPOed
    - BlackBerry Radar would be the only division without a natural fit in MSFT's current portfolio

So instead of wasting billions for LNKD MSFT should buy BlackBerry instead.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-17 01:00 PM
    In my opinion MSFT would be a natural fit:

- QNX could be combined with MSFT own car OS business

I'll que the "if cars ran on Windows" jokes.
    12-01-17 05:19 PM
    Is that a charge that will show up this quarter or next

Posted via CB10
    Sorry about the late reply! Because they are reporting their quarterly on Dec 20 and the end was on Nov 30 2017, I'm under the assumption that it will be the next quarter.

Cheers mates
    12-01-17 05:22 PM
    If cars ran on Windows we would see the death circle at stop signs . LMHO
    12-01-17 05:49 PM
    At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: if GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they painted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn, would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to re-install the engine.

4. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run on five percent of the roads.

5. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

6. Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

7. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need them nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 percent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Dept.

8. Every time GM introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

9. You'd press the "start" button to shut off the engine.
    12-01-17 05:54 PM
113,256 ... 41704171417241734174 ...