View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    so what current IP lawsuits are underway that have not yet been settled?
    Corbu likes this.
    10-02-17 10:39 PM
    so what current IP lawsuits are underway that have not yet been settled?
    Avaya and Nokia. But they are not Android phone related. I am thinking about firms like Blu, who make smart phones and need to pay royalties to BlackBerry. I suspect Apple and Samsung etc more or less infringed BlackBerry patents but haven't paid up big yet.
    10-02-17 11:27 PM
    Canada-based tech giant BlackBerry announced on Tuesday it has added six new partners in India to design, implement and support its solutions in the country.

BlackBerry expands India channel ecosystem with six new partners
    10-03-17 06:28 AM
    Morgan mate! Anyway of getting your thoughts on SPHS latest news release?
    OT!!!

Just a quickie on this one. Obviously, they gave more clarity on their execution of the Phase IIb program. It is comforting to know that we are getting some results at the end of this year and all of the data at the end of the first Q. The market likes the certainty of the program and will buy stock as we head towards those timelines. The bad news is that I have a pile of cash to buy the stock and it looks like my hope of getting it cheaper may be out the window. I was hoping that the stock would drift back to $ 2.00/shr so now my only hope is that the amazing and unprecedented run by the Dow Jones will stop, and perhaps correct, so that SPHS will make it to $ 2.00/shr.

My only other concern with SPHS has been this:

"Proposal 3. Approval of the 2017 Omnibus Incentive Plan

The Company ’s shareholders failed to approve the adoption of the 2017 Omnibus Incentive Plan. The proposed 2017 Omnibus Incentive Plan was adopted by the Board subject to shareholder approval in order to replace the Company’s existing 2011 Stock Option Plan. The 2017 Omnibus Incentive Plan included the latest developments in plan design for a U.S. based public company, many of which are missing from the Company’s current stock 2011 Stock Option Plan which was designed to comply with Canadian law and listing requirements of the Toronto Stock Exchange, which are no longer applicable to the Company."

They are forced to use the compensation package described in the 2011 agreement and you have to wonder why investors turned them down for the 2017 revision. It's a minor issue but one that I can't seem to shake off.

I love the company and where it is heading, I need to complete my purchases and I'm to blame for not owning my full allotment now. The cash is there, now I need the Dow Jones to back up meaningfully so that I can get those shares! So stop posting positive news SPHS!
    10-03-17 08:05 AM
    Big news!

BlackBerry Announces Plan to Move to the New York Stock Exchange

October 03, 2017 09:00 ET

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Oct. 3, 2017) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB) today announced its pending transfer of the listing of its common stock from the NASDAQ Global Select Market ("NASDAQ") to the New York Stock Exchange ("NYSE"). The company expects to begin trading on the NYSE on October 16, under the new ticker symbol "BB". The company will continue to trade on the NASDAQ until the transfer is completed. BlackBerry's listing on the TSX will not change.

"Many of the world's greatest brands, including a large number of our customers and partners, are listed on the NYSE, and we look forward to joining them," said John Chen, Executive Chairman and CEO, BlackBerry. "As we continue to advance our growth strategy, we believe that our partnership with the NYSE will further raise the profile of our company and strengthen the value of our BlackBerry Secure brand."

"We are honored to have BlackBerry join the NYSE community," said Tom Farley, President of the NYSE. "BlackBerry is an innovative mobile pioneer that has successfully evolved to become an enterprise cybersecurity software company. We look forward to supporting BlackBerry's continued growth and providing the unique benefits of our market, solutions and community to the company and its shareholders."

"We are excited that BlackBerry will continue their journey as an NYSE-listed company alongside the world's most innovative technology companies," said John Tuttle, NYSE Global Head of Listings.

In celebration of the transfer, representatives from BlackBerry will ring the NYSE Opening Bell at 9:30 a.m. ET on October 16, 2017.
    10-03-17 08:07 AM
    10-03-17 08:11 AM
    Today is a big day for BlackBerry, we are pennies below a major technical area of the multi-year close of $ 11.42/shr. It looks like we are going to blow through that level today and take a run at a multi-year high. A fun day for sure and one that you shouldn't miss. Is there a day when BB isn't reporting something? Fun to watch. As for me, I'm writing some out-of-the-money calls on some of my stock. We could have a much overdue correction this Fall and I want to lock in some profits as my average price for BBRY is $ 6.83/shr and those call options will get me close to a 100% profit. I'm not saying that everyone else should sell here, watch the stock closely and listen to the news and comments to decide if you want continued exposure in the stock at these price levels. Let's get close to $ 12.00 so that I can write some calls and the rest of you can trade accordingly. We should have been here a full quarter ago and one has to wonder why Chen made such a bearish claim for the first half of their Fiscal year when in fact, this is a killer quarter.
    Corbu, ZayDub, sixaxis_ms and 4 others like this.
    10-03-17 08:20 AM
    Dude, you could have just your broker and they will 'contribute' from your trading account to your tsfa trading account

Scotia itrade does it for free. And best part is you contribute at current days current hi or low, or previous days close.

So it's a good way to shelter some tax gains by using the previous days close when there is a bit of a spike in share price
    oh man. thanks buddy. learn something new everyday >_< now I wait to re-enter hopefully
    10-03-17 08:31 AM
    Hi Morgan! Any thoughts on the move to NYSE?

Posted via CB10
    10-03-17 08:43 AM
    I assume that technical analysis will be much harder after 16th of Oct, as there is no historical data?

Posted via CB10
    10-03-17 08:49 AM
    what are the reasons one would move to a different stock exchange? Any significance to this?
    10-03-17 08:54 AM
    Hi Morgan! Any thoughts on the move to NYSE?

Posted via CB10
    It is yet to be determined if there is a benefit here, they might end up in a pool/basket of stocks for hedging purposes and thus be purchased just for being part of that basket. We'll learn more in the next couple of weeks. You must admit, they are really making changes now that they are out of hardware. The TA won't change at all, charts will still be there as data is non-exchange related. I just looked at the chart for BBRY and we are forming a nice pennant at the moment for another leg up. It might take a day or two to complete that formation but I still think we are going to take out the multi-year highs. That was a big dump at the open this morning (2 MM shares), I'm sure we'll work that off and move higher soon.

Every day we are subject to news and it is all very interesting stuff. Now, I have to get over watching SPHS pop again today, man did I wait too long for more shares!
    10-03-17 08:59 AM
    Funny how your day changes, I wanted to sell a pile of calls on my stock holdings to lock in gains but now I'm close to writing a ton of naked puts to pickup more stock. I don't care which way the stock goes, if they want to drop it, I'll buy more. I think if the stock can get to $ 11.00 I'll write those puts.

Darn SPHS ......................................
    FeitaInc and rarsen like this.
    10-03-17 09:20 AM
    Darn SPHS ......................................
    I had two stocks I wanted to sell to buy some more SPHS, but I got a little greedy with one of them, and it went and fell 40% all of a sudden. (good thing I didn't have a stop-loss in place. ) it is slowly recovering. meanwhile, SPHS is climbing steadily.

now I'm considering selling a drilling stock (SONG) I own, as it was acquired by Transocean. that deal is set to close later this year at 47.5 NOK /share, and now it's trading at 56 or something like that.

if you have a $6.83 average on BBRY Morgan, I'm not sure I want to know what you have in SPHS. :P

Morgan, if I may ask, what's your time horizon on SPHS?
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 10-03-17 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo
    10-03-17 10:36 AM
    I had two stocks I wanted to sell to buy some more SPHS, but I got a little greedy with one of them, and it went and fell 40% all of a sudden. (good thing I didn't have a stop-loss in place. ) it is slowly recovering. meanwhile, SPHS is climbing steadily.

now I'm considering selling a drilling stock (SONG) I own, as it was acquired by Transocean. that deal is set to close later this year at 47.5 NOK /share, and now it's trading at 56 or something like that.

if you have a $6.83 average on BBRY Morgan, I'm not sure I want to know what you have in SPHS if you discovered it when it was 0.5$. :P

Morgan, if I may ask, what your time horizon on SPHS?
    I can't say for certain what my total cost basis is on SPHS, I think it is about $ 1.25/shr now. I sold some at $ 3.00/shr and started replacing that sale too ( I think $ 1.60/shr) so it's hard to figure out where I am with that one. When it was below $ .50/shr I thought that shareholders would step in and kill the CEO's idea of spending $ 30 MM on their Phase III trial. It turns out that the CEO shut down the Phase III study once he knew the data was amazing (how he knew that double blind data was amazing is beyond me) and saved the company about $ 20 MM bucks so that's why the stock popped large. He is one crazy CEO.

The timeline is now spelled out, the end of this year for dosing adjustments and the full data comes to us at the end of the first Q. So you are a holder until late January 2018. Then they need to see if they have enough data to file for an NDA. If they can file for an NDA, the stock will rally hard.

I have an amount of stock that I want to own going into that data. I'm certainly not suggesting that others follow me into this nor buy anywhere near what I'm looking forward to. If it all falls through I'll loose a great deal of money but it won't change our lives one bit. If it goes as planned, that another story for another day. Its a massive gamble that I want to take on now.

I will suggest that the CEO knew something was up when 2 patients had ablated cancer results during that study. It is difficult to hide data when patients are fully cured of cancer. I'll give him that. I love the story, it is a gamble for sure, not many plays out there today that touch on a wide spread problem such as this one. GL

As for BBRY, it is content to sit closer to $ 11.00/shr today and I don't know how much longer the Dow Jones can keep making new highs. It might be time to hold onto some cash. Don't get me wrong here, the TA on BBRY still looks excellent so we could rally all afternoon with this one. Its the general market that has me on edge.
    10-03-17 11:26 AM
    I love these automotive QNX deals.
    the small monthly recurring revenues they can generate from each car could be huge
    Yeah, now if QNX can just find a way to get into that Delorian, then just imagine what the Future...
    10-03-17 12:18 PM
    OT'ish

Maybe John Chen uses the wrong managerial model? : )

“Elon’s never made a number, ever,” Ross Gerber, CEO of (Tesla shareholder) Gerber Kawasaki Wealth & Investment Management, told Bloomberg. “Coming up short is what we expect of him.”
    morganplus8, Corbu and rarsen like this.
    10-03-17 12:36 PM
    I have an amount of stock that I want to own going into that data. I'm certainly not suggesting that others follow me into this nor buy anywhere near what I'm looking forward to. If it all falls through I'll loose a great deal of money but it won't change our lives one bit. If it goes as planned, that another story for another day. Its a massive gamble that I want to take on now.
    thanks for the detailed response Morgan, and the warning is duly noted. it seems we are very much aligned in how we approach SPHS, all tough there's probably a big difference in the number of shares we own.

To be honest, SPHS is one of two "other bets" (Google style) I have. The other is a crypto currency content marketplace company (Hubii.network) that had it's ICO a month or so ago. That said, that one is more an investment in the CEO / Founder. Met him at an event and liked what he had to say when we spoke after his presentation. I had just finished reading the Jack Magic / Alibaba-book, and the talk we had made me think of the story of when Jack Ma and Masayoshi Son met and Son decided to invest in Alibaba. (and no, I am definitively no Masayoshi Son, so do not make any investment decision based on this little story) The talk also made me think of some comments Warren Buffett has made on investing in great people.

The crypto currency thing is almost like paying to take a course that is giving a glimpse of what the future might look like, and can definitively be viewed as very risky. That said, the structure of cryptocurrencies in some ways alleviates that somewhat, since the incentives for all players is more aligned around a rise in the coin value.

if both fails, it'll be a bummer, but I'll be fine. If they succeed, that will be something to smile about.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 10-03-17 at 03:14 PM. Reason: no autocorrect, I meant alleviate not elevate.
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    10-03-17 01:29 PM
    OT'ish

Maybe John Chen uses the wrong managerial model? : )

“Elon’s never made a number, ever,” Ross Gerber, CEO of (Tesla shareholder) Gerber Kawasaki Wealth & Investment Management, told Bloomberg. “Coming up short is what we expect of him.”
    hehe.. yeah.

I guess it will be very interesting to see where Tesla is, five years from now. if you read commentary from analyst such as Horace Dediu, he is not very bullish. (spoiler alert - he says that if Tesla is a car company, they probably won't make it.) the standard narrative is that Tesla is set to soar, while Apple is about to fail. if you want to reference that to what he says about Apple, for contrast, he is very very bullish.
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    10-03-17 01:36 PM
    10-03-17 04:57 PM
    hehe.. yeah.

I guess it will be very interesting to see where Tesla is, five years from now. if you read commentary from analyst such as Horace Dediu, he is not very bullish. (spoiler alert - he says that if Tesla is a car company, they probably won't make it.) the standard narrative is that Tesla is set to soar, while Apple is about to fail. if you want to reference that to what he says about Apple, for contrast, he is very very bullish.
    That’s the interesting thing about investing. There are experts with strong bearish arguments on every single company and other experts who have strong bullish cases. For people who like affirmation, it makes it easy.

The tesla 3 is a much, much better car IMO than the S. Certainly more fun to drive, better interior, better fit and finish. It looks and feels like a car from a proper car company now. And also reaching a broader market obviously. Should be fun to watch. (Yes, I’m long Tesla).

As for Chen emulating Musk: Musk aims a lot higher. He does fall short mostly, but where he falls is still often (not always) pretty impressive IMO. Barriers to entry in auto industry are huge. None of the other car upstarts in past 50-60 years have made it nearly as far as Tesla has.
    rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    10-03-17 06:44 PM
    1st in Canada Autonomous Vehicle Demonstration
    QNX test Drive. ( got the info from ST )

https://www.kanatanorthbia.ca/event/...-vehicle-demo/
    Canada&#039;s AV Capital - Ottawa is Canada&#039;s AV Capital
    morganplus8, Corbu, dusdal and 2 others like this.
    10-03-17 07:07 PM
    A bit of Amber...
    BlackBerry's move to the NYSE will strengthen brand: John Chen - Article - BNN

CEO John Chen says the partnership with the NYSE will further raise the profile of the Ontario-based security software company and strengthen its BlackBerry Secure brand.
    Well, not much there, really... Sorry guys!
    10-03-17 07:13 PM
    I love the company and where it is heading, I need to complete my purchases and I'm to blame for not owning my full allotment now. The cash is there, now I need the Dow Jones to back up meaningfully so that I can get those shares! So stop posting positive news SPHS!
    Thanks Morgan!!!

I will start a thread that trashes SPHS, hoping that helps you with your $2.00 purchase. LOL
    morganplus8 likes this.
    10-03-17 08:16 PM
    Third piece from Daniel Bartus from ML in a week.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-pages-ml-bbry-oct-4.jpg

Someone must be angry...
    morganplus8, rarsen, W Hoa and 1 others like this.
    10-04-17 07:13 AM
113,256 ... 41524153415441554156 ...