View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    The joint motion to dismiss without prejudice was granted by Judge Moreno on August 14. If and when we get to hear about the (official) settlement depends on BlackBerry and BLU Products...
    Responses due by 8/24/2017
    08-22-17 10:01 AM
    Responses due by 8/24/2017
    Yes thats the deadline, but he responded on 8/14.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9100201) likes this.
    08-22-17 10:05 AM
    Regarding the Nokia lawsuit, it seems they are arguing whether the lawsuit should be dismissed or not because BlackBerry, according to them, is wrong about just about everything.. LOL. Very early stages if you ask me. Has anyone here read the case filings?

Posted via CB10

Some of them (see attachements).

One of BlackBerry's main argument is that Nokia cited some of the patents in question in their own patent applications so they acutally acknowledged the patents.
    08-22-17 10:33 AM
    First and for the last time: I never asked for "insider information", I just asked to to communicate moren openly and in a more shareholder friendly way (e.g. revenue break down by segments)
    They segmented revenues as requested. I told you this the last time you said this.

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor, morganplus8 and Corbu like this.
    08-22-17 01:46 PM
    They segmented revenues as requested. I told you this the last time you said this.

Posted via CB10
    Oh sorry I must have missed that. Maybe then you can give me the revenues for BBM customer, BlackBerry Radar and QNX Automotive? I did not find them in the filing so must have overlooked something

Posted via CB10
    08-22-17 02:32 PM
    Come on, mate...
    08-22-17 03:04 PM
    BlackBerry should acquire GoGo Inc. asap if you ask me. While it might be unclear as to where the synergies are, I really think it would fit in well with the BlackBerry Technology Solutions segment. GoGo Inc. install inflight connectivity/infotainment solutions for major airlines (worldwide) and enable/sell inflight WiFi that way, either through the airline or directly to the traveller (even to the airline, when they decide to offer it as a service to their customers in the case of JAL). They are dealing with a serious backlog with regards to installations (they are in the top 3 of providers) and are generating >170 million USD in service revenue each quarter and growing. Yes, they are making losses but who cares if you're investing in the future, demonstrate real growth, and have a path towards profitability, right? Anyway, the market might not agree because with their revenue being similar to BlackBerry's, they are worth 1.14 billion USD as of today.

Where I see the eventual synergies is with BlackBerry's Radar solution. If you can persuade an airline to install a giant dish on top of their plane, which takes about 2 days to install, then you can definitely persuade a trucking/trailer/container company to spend 10 minutes on installing a box on their door. And they are doing deals all the time! BlackBerry's knowledge with regards to hardware and connectivity (which often isn't great during flights) could really do wonders. Not to forget the inflight infotainment solutions that QNX already offers through their partners.

If BlackBerry Radar is 'that' innovative, imagine what Dr. Sandeep Chennakeshu could do for aviation, where the inflight experience is much more about WiFi these days?!

Morgan, could you please take a look at their financials? :-) We're making a bid....

Posted via CB10
    08-22-17 03:51 PM
    I think this should sway a few car companies planning to implement AV in UK , into the QNX side of things.

"Board members of companies selling connected cars will be personally accountable if their products get hacked, according to guidelines issued by the British government.

The guidelines for connected-car security were released Sunday by the Department for Transport, which urged manufacturers to "design out hacking."

U.K. Connected Car Rules Put Cyber Defense Responsibility on Boards | Fortune.com
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    08-22-17 04:03 PM
    Has anybody heard something about the virtual SIM solution (WorkLife Persona: http://blogs.blackberry.com/tag/worklife-persona/)? Is it already on the market?

Offering companies the option to add a company number to employees' own phones regardless which carrierer they are using sound like a great and unrivaled solution to me that could bring in quite substantial revenues and profits.
    You can search back into this thread, but I believe there are two or three carriers that are (or at least were) offering the solution. One was in India and one in Hong Kong. I thought they started offering the solution sometime in the past year. The problem with WorkLife is that it is carrier dependent and no one wanted to be first (much less enter a partnership with BlackBerry in general). The second problem was that even though it offered multiple lines, they all had to be with the same carrier. Don't know if that limitation was a regulatory limitation as that feature was supposed to work on any phone, and BlackBerry knows those countries/regions sell dual-SIM phones.

The US carriers probably figure they can build the same solution in-house or possibly find a partner other than BlackBerry to partner with to offer such a solution.
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    08-22-17 04:29 PM
    I think this should sway a few car companies planning to implement AV in UK , into the QNX side of things.

"Board members of companies selling connected cars will be personally accountable if their products get hacked, according to guidelines issued by the British government.

The guidelines for connected-car security were released Sunday by the Department for Transport, which urged manufacturers to "design out hacking."
    Too bad they (and other governments) haven't enacted such regulations on all markets, especially the IoT market. Mandate "design out hacking" and mandatory security updates for all IoT products (including anything that can acquire an IP address, be it a TV, thermostat, light bulb, security camera, etc.). People have to start going to jail for enabling mass produced "digital-security-is-not-even-a-thought" hardware, especially if it's connected via the internet.

Oh, wait. That runs contrary to the needs of our surveillance state and our fellow cowardly citizens. Never mind. **** Brits!
    08-22-17 04:55 PM
    Oh sorry I must have missed that. Maybe then you can give me the revenues for BBM customer, BlackBerry Radar and QNX Automotive? I did not find them in the filing so must have overlooked something

Posted via CB10
    Want me to breast feed you too? Give it a break mate!!!!!!!!!
    dusdal likes this.
    08-22-17 05:10 PM
    You can search back into this thread, but I believe there are two or three carriers that are (or at least were) offering the solution. One was in India and one in Hong Kong. I thought they started offering the solution sometime in the past year. The problem with WorkLife is that it is carrier dependent and no one wanted to be first (much less enter a partnership with BlackBerry in general). The second problem was that even though it offered multiple lines, they all had to be with the same carrier. Don't know if that limitation was a regulatory limitation as that feature was supposed to work on any phone, and BlackBerry knows those countries/regions sell dual-SIM phones.

The US carriers probably figure they can build the same solution in-house or possibly find a partner other than BlackBerry to partner with to offer such a solution.
    From my understanding the Worklife Persona solution works carrier independent, so a company can implement a work phone number on an employee's phone no matter which carrier she or he is using

Posted via CB10
    08-22-17 10:34 PM
    Want me to breast feed you too? Give it a break mate!!!!!!!!!
    You can breast feed as much as you want, but you cannot provide the revenue information simply because it does not exist since BlackBerry did not gave investors any information about it

Posted via CB10
    08-22-17 10:41 PM
    Now that apple is trimming down their AV ambition ( no more apple car ) and concentrating their effort into autonomous systems only, you got to wonder what Dan Dodge role is/was.

"Even though Apple had not ironed out many of the basics, like how the autonomous systems would work, a team had already started working on an operating system software called CarOS. There was fierce debate about whether it should be programmed using Swift, Apple’s own programming language, or the industry standard, C++.

Mr. Zadesky, who worked on the iPod and iPhone, eventually left Titan and took a leave of absence from the company for personal reasons in 2016. "

Apple Scales Back Its Ambitions for a Self-Driving Car
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/22/t...iving-car.html
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    08-23-17 11:49 AM
    BlackBerry should acquire GoGo Inc. asap if you ask me. While it might be unclear as to where the synergies are, I really think it would fit in well with the BlackBerry Technology Solutions segment. GoGo Inc. install inflight connectivity/infotainment solutions for major airlines (worldwide) and enable/sell inflight WiFi that way, either through the airline or directly to the traveller (even to the airline, when they decide to offer it as a service to their customers in the case of JAL). They are dealing with a serious backlog with regards to installations (they are in the top 3 of providers) and are generating >170 million USD in service revenue each quarter and growing.

Morgan, could you please take a look at their financials? :-) We're making a bid....

Posted via CB10
    Fascinating find there _dimi_!

BB would have to offer $ 1.4 B for it and assume those losses for some time. Not withstanding the negative effect to the balance sheet for BB, they would certainly gain revenue growth and could apply their famous security to the package. How do you value a company like this one? I like the idea but it is a 5-year plan of its own.

Nice find, it might be too much for Chen at this time giving the fact that he could route out the land and ocean container business for less money. Thanks for the great read!
    Corbu, _dimi_, La Emperor and 2 others like this.
    08-23-17 12:08 PM
    My 3-minute chart:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-august-23-2017.png

We have been on either side of a downward trending channel that started weeks ago when we touched the 50-dma. Since then, we have also dropped down to touch the 200-dma and have since bounced off that TA level and settled down. This chart shows that as of yesterday, we are back out of the downtrend channel to the positive side and regrouping for a change in trend. What a ride, no news from BB in months and as this Q comes to an end, we could slip into the "quiet period" without hearing a thing from the company. The TA looks better today, the general market is still hanging in there so far, all we need is to hear from our company that they are still in business. As least let us close the weekly chart out to the positive! GL
    La Emperor, Greened, Corbu and 7 others like this.
    08-23-17 12:24 PM
    For as far as I can tell, BlackBerry Work (application) is being downloaded much more frequent than in the previous quarter, about 3 to 4 times as much if it's okay to extrapolate the number of downloads from the number of reviews. Not sure if it will get shown in their revenue figure for Q2 either as it could be merely an upgrade from Good for Enterprise (application) or... ?

Posted via CB10
    08-23-17 02:20 PM
    As we await for news regarding a potential settlement in the BlackBerry vs Blu case, I am reminded - reading this - that there were allegedly two lawsuits:
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...u-and-android/

I must admit I have not followed the proceedings so take the above with a grain of salt. I could be way off...

And this, FWIW:
    The new lawsuits also suggest that BlackBerry has patents it believes describe Android features, so don't be surprised if more Android phones are in the crosshairs soon. One of the two cases filed last week accuses user-interface features that are more about Android than they are about BLU. A small manufacturer like BLU could make for a good "test case" against a maker of Android phones.
    08-23-17 08:53 PM
    BlackBerry vs Blu Products

We had heard that Judge Moreno had signed an Order dismissing the Action Without Prejudice on August 14, 2017:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry_blu.jpg
    We should hear more about the terms of that MOU soon, I suspect.
    08-24-17 07:19 AM
    08-24-17 07:30 AM
    Old news?
    Updated old news....

“We have a number of different contracts that we are working on right now. We expect some to be announced soon,” BlackBerry Senior Vice President, General Manager, Mobility Solutions, Alex Thurber told ET
    08-24-17 07:43 AM
    With all his new found cash maybe Prem will just take BBRY private

"Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. is selling a Singaporean insurance subsidiary in a partnership deal designed to open more growth opportunities in other pockets of the world.

The Toronto-based insurance and investments company said Wednesday that it had struck a $1.6-billion (U.S.) deal to sell a 97.7 per cent interest in First Capital Insurance Ltd. to Tokyo’s Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co. "
    rarsen, Corbu, morganplus8 and 2 others like this.
    08-24-17 07:48 AM
    Updated old news....

“We have a number of different contracts that we are working on right now. We expect some to be announced soon,” BlackBerry Senior Vice President, General Manager, Mobility Solutions, Alex Thurber told ET
    Right. Phase 2.

Canadian enterprise software maker BlackBerry is in talks with various global smartphone makers to provide its version of secure Android operating system under a licensing deal as part of the second phase of its licensing strategy, a top official said.
    April 2017:
    BlackBerry: Hardware outsourcing strategy to result in strategic and financial benefits: BlackBerry’s Alex Thurber, Telecom News, ET Telecom

The executive said the three existing handset-based licensees are only the first phase of BlackBerry’s licensing strategy, and the company is now implementing phase 2 of its strategy, though he declined to share details.
    W Hoa, rarsen, morganplus8 and 1 others like this.
    08-24-17 07:51 AM
    “We have a number of different contracts that we are working on right now. We expect some to be announced soon,”

Perhaps one of those could be BLU
    morganplus8, Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    08-24-17 07:57 AM
    “We have a number of different contracts that we are working on right now. We expect some to be announced soon,”

Perhaps one of those could be BLU
    They are also talking about secure android OS for TVs and medical devices, so thats new revenue area.
    08-24-17 10:20 AM
113,256 ... 41284129413041314132 ...