View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Good luck proving a case against him and Prime Cap, they are under water in the trade and this company is so close to a turn for the better. They get frustrated, can't take it any more and offer a 40% premium and everyone jumps on it. The cash alone will finance the entire deal. Its funny how they are the only ones that could purchase BlackBerry. I'm probably the only person with this theory but I have been given plenty of "quiet time" to think about it!

I would like Chen to prove me wrong but the connection between Prem and how the company is run is too comfortable/predictable for me. At this point, I might not care if they act together to take it private.
    Although I am modeling / hoping for a return substantially higher than +40% from the current SP, a part of me would have to applaud Prem if he did decide to take BB private. That said, the "Ultimatum Game" player in me would be livid even though I would be making some money.
    La Emperor and morganplus8 like this.
    08-11-17 11:52 AM
    FWIW: Institutional ownership now at 64.1%. It was up from 63.27% two days ago.
    BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) Institutional Ownership & Holdings - NASDAQ.com
    Last edited by La Emperor; 08-11-17 at 12:17 PM.
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    08-11-17 11:55 AM
    Although I am modeling / hoping for a return substantially higher than +40% from the current SP, a part of me would have to applaud Prem if he did decide to take BB private. That said, the "Ultimatum Game" player in me would be livid even though I would be making some money.
    I'm completely in agreement there. I would have done the same thing Prem has done to save his investment too. But we are far enough along in this recovery phase for Chen to be making aggressive moves. We should be hearing about more events and where they are in the growth phase. Dropping a $ 100 MM on something now makes sense, there are so many small plays out there that need a big brother. I think this is the longest period of time that BB has gone without having announced something noteworthy. Having said that, he has made some profound statements in Indonesia.

Update on TD Bank: Nothing. They aren't buying anything in BB, under 100,000 today across Canada. Why not announce a buy back that is within their scope of activity, say, 2,000,000 shares this year, perhaps that is a little high, but, far more realistic. LOL

Good luck.
    La Emperor, JLagoon, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    08-11-17 12:20 PM
    Please help me understand as I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this. How does Prem taking BB private result in you/us making some money? I actually don't know what happens to my shares when they a company goes private. Do they buyout your shares at a set price? If this was the case, you/we would only make money if this buyout price is above our breakeven price correct? Thank you!
    JLagoon and Corbu like this.
    08-11-17 12:29 PM
    Please help me understand as I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this. How does Prem taking BB private result in you/us making some money? I actually don't know what happens to my shares when they a company goes private. Do they buyout your shares at a set price? If this was the case, you/we would only make money if this buyout price is above our breakeven price correct? Thank you!
    There are many on this thread way more knowledgeable than me on this, Morgan being the expert, but as far as I can tell you've answered your own question perfectly. As long as the agreed upon price is higher than your average price (+ the fees you paid when buying the shares), you stand to make some money.

Prem et al would offer to buy all outstanding shares, and if the offer is accepted it would proceed.

In Norway there is some percentage that automatically triggers that the majority owner has to offer to buy all outstanding shares, but I don't know if that's the case here. Perhaps Prem to would form a consortium / group of big owners that he would proceed with.
    08-11-17 01:08 PM
    13F update
    Some sellers from top shareholders, but mostly repositioning among the top and rebalancing when BBRY was north of $10.
    Several new shareholders with some returning.

fidelity returning with a 3.4M share purchase
    CI investments with a 3M share purchase

sellers
    Renaissance Tech (hedge fund) sold 5.3M shares, they had also sold in prior quarter before runup for reference (1.2M)
    Iridian sold 3.5M
    Ontario teachers sold 2.2M

Top shareholders are mostly unchanged, more new than we have seen in a while. Overall institutional ownership is up a few percent, still a few left to file and will update.
    08-11-17 04:20 PM
    Top shareholders are mostly unchanged, more new than we have seen in a while. Overall institutional ownership is up a few percent, still a few left to file and will update.
    Does anybody know how many stocks / voting power Prem owns/controls through all his holdings?
    08-11-17 05:53 PM
    Does anybody know how many stocks / voting power Prem owns/controls through all his holdings?
    Please keep in mind that some companies of his own, hold shares too. So I don't know how accurate this number is. If it takes into account then it's good.

https://www.gurufocus.com/holdings.p...ame=Prem+Watsa

Since the site gives to much spam, here it is .

TickerSharesValue ($1000)
    BBRY 46,724,700 shares - $466,167
    Last edited by bbjdog; 08-11-17 at 07:48 PM.
    rarsen and FeitaInc like this.
    08-11-17 06:06 PM
    Blackberry eyes cyber security business in Indonesia - Sat, August 12 2017 - The Jakarta Post

Locked. So here is the text:

Blackberry eyes cyber security business in Indonesia

The Jakarta Post · 12 Aug 2017 · Farida Susanty THE JAKARTA POST/JAKARTA

Blackberry transitioning business from hardware manufacturer to software provider Blackberry Messenger in RI’s top five most downloaded apps

Amid fierce competition from other tech giants such as Samsung and Apple, Canadian technology company Blackberry has set its sights on the cyber security sector in Indonesia, in addition to expanding the sales of its mobile handsets.

Blackberry CEO John Chen, who has helmed the company since 2013, said recently that Blackberry’s track record in managing cyber security for governments and enterprises would set it apart from other companies.

“I believe that the future is going to rely more on security, cyber security. I want to build a very strong enterprise [software] business that takes advantage of all the security know-how of Blackberry,” he said.

Chen continued to say that its competitors in enterprise software, like United States tech firm Microsoft, are not focused on security, but more on functionality.

The company also emphasized the cyber security service it provides for the German government, among others, as well as its 30 years of experience in the field.

Chen said that the company has held discussions with the Indonesian government, particularly with Communications and Information Minister Rudiantara, to offer Blackberry’s services.

“I was pleased that the government of Indonesia may be considering our technology, the same technology that the German government has been using. Of course, this is something we very much welcome. I hope it becomes a reality,” he said.

However, Blackberry also predicts that like its business in the US and Canada, the market share of Blackberry’s cyber security software in the enterprises segment, such as for banks, insurances and legal firms, has thus far dominated its business, compared to its service for governments.

Blackberry has been notably transitioning from being a hardware company to focusing on software. It also licenses its software rights to other firms.

The Waterloo, Ontario-based company shifted its business focus after scrapping production of its once-iconic smartphones, which lost favor with the arrival of sleek and fully touch-screen handsets.

Sales of its smartphones nosedived after reaching a peak in the last quarter of 2010, during which around 14.6 million Blackberry smartphones were shipped worldwide, according to statistics portal Statista.

Blackberry’s market share reached 0.31 percent globally in 2015, down from 20 percent in 2009, versus 80 percent for Android smartphones as of early last year.

Chen maintained that the company would still manage its consumer business, including the handset and massaging app BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) through its local partners in Indonesia.

The company outsourced the development of its smartphone last year, signing a deal with Indonesia’s local smartphone maker PT BB Merah Putih to make and distribute new Blackberry branded devices.

In March, it launched the Blackberry Aurora, a new phone that marks its return to one of the world’s fastest growing smartphone markets.

Blackberry is working with Indonesian media company PT Elang Mahkota Teknologi (Emtek) to re-vamp its BBM app.

“I am a strong believer that in order to compete with the big boys, you really need to get the local people supporting your technology,” Chen said, adding that it has also signed similar deals with China’s TCL and India-based Optiemus Infracom Ltd.

However, he also questioned whether it was realistic for Blackberry to take over from big players like Samsung and Chinese brands like Oppo, due to the fragmented market.

“Coming in and displacing some of those players on the high-end [segment], we could do that. Low-end? That is probably not what we do best,” he said.

Meanwhile, Emtek vice president director Susanto Hartono said that the number of BBM active users is still considerable, as is its popularity; the app has consistently been in the top five of the most down-loaded apps in Google Play, with 100 million downloads.

“Our homework is to introduce new features, from just a chat [messaging app]. Now, [BBM has] a social media-like feed,” he said.

The BBM app will also be able to do transactions as the company is preparing its own e-payment system, which will be ready in six months.
    08-11-17 08:24 PM
    At 98,000 atm. We should be at 100,000 within an hour or so:
    https://sale.jd.com/act/3PNeVaWRzDG8...?cpdad=1DLSUE#
    08-11-17 08:58 PM
    100,000 at 10:48pm. I had a screenshot to prove.
    08-11-17 09:49 PM
    BlackBerry will become a cash caw.
    08-11-17 09:51 PM
    There you go, Andy... 100,000!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-jd.com_22_49_08.11.17.jpg
    Last edited by Corbu; 08-11-17 at 10:09 PM.
    08-11-17 09:52 PM
    Probably you guys didn't know what the four characters under BlackBerry KEYone mean. The first character "键"means "Key" , in Chinese, it has same pronunciation as "See" . The whole four characters mean that See (Key) you have never seen. It is very intriguing to me. I like the advertising so far which we have never seen something like that here yet.
    08-11-17 10:00 PM
    a couple of interesting notes on the 13F, if you compare (second pic from end of 2015), their were quite a few more put buyers among the largest changes, as compared to last quarter (first pic) where there was only one. None of those buying puts owned any of the converts, so it could have been a hedge to long position or a straight bearish bet.
    This follows the short interest as the lowest levels since Jan 2012, as well as the options open interest for PUT options, which is also at 5 year lows, although their is also a similar lack of open interest in the CALL options as well, as the volume for the stock is significantly lower than in 2012 - 2013, when their were months when we traded over a Billion shares.

Also with respect to going Private, i can say Prime Cap and the other shareholders would not vote for such a deal, unless it was greater than their purchase price, estimated in the high teens. They have been patient shareholders for over a decade, and have added a decent amount the past several years as well, with nearly 10M shares just the past 2 years. John still has 1.4 years on his contract and the shareholders, like the one below, are looking for a much greater event than just the QCOM deal, and that includes all the major ones who could have easily sold a majority of their positions after the last rally to over $11, but didn't and are waiting for a better outcome. most of their IV (intrinsic value) is around $15 to $20 today, not including the potential if RADAR and other products take off, which is yet to be determined.

Also, one particular manager Quinn Opportunites is run by a former Perry Capital analyst, Patrick Quinn, and now has about 600M in assets, a brief description of his hedge fund " The intrinsic value strategy, which will focus on overlooked and contrarian investments in the event-driven space,"
    He added to his new position which he bought in the 1st quarter of 2017, or about 20% to it last quarter.The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry1.png

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry2.png
    Last edited by kadakn01; 08-12-17 at 12:58 AM.
    08-12-17 12:35 AM
    An update on the case against BLU Products:

On July 11th ''Joint Motion For Order Extending Notice'':
    The Parties are in the process of attempting to negotiate a solution of their dispute, and to that end, the Parties have scheduled a face-to-face meeting for that purpose. As such, the Parties respectfully believe that if the July 26th filing is delayed until August 23rd, the Parties will be in a position to provide the Court with a far more meaningful status of the proceedings.

On August 10th ''Joint Motion To Dismiss Without Prejudice'':
    Pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 41, the Parties, Plaintiff Blackberry Limited, and Defendant BLU Products, Inc. (collectively, the “Parties”), hereby stipulate to and move the Court for entry of an Order dismissing this action without prejudice. The Parties further agree that the Court will retain jurisdiction to enforce the terms of the Memorandum of Understanding executed by the Parties on July 19, 2017. The Parties further stipulate that each side shall bear their own costs and fees, including all attorneys’ fees.

My question is : have they settled out of Court?
    08-12-17 04:27 AM
    News about MobileIron - and their precious cash balance - on June 9th:

A California judge on Friday preliminarily approved MobileIron Inc.'s $7.5 million deal resolving a proposed shareholder class action alleging the mobile data security firm hid that it had been hacked weeks before its June 2014 initial public offering, finding the recovery amount is fair and significant.

During a hearing in San Jose, Santa Clara Superior Court Judge Thomas E. Kuhnle said neither side had contested his tentative ruling to preliminarily approve the deal, so he adopted it and set a final approval hearing for Aug. 18. The judge's tentative, which was posted on Thursday, found that the class notice was adequate and that the settlement reduces the expense of litigation on both parties and eliminates the risks of continuing litigation.

"Moreover, plaintiffs have obtained a significant recovery for the class," Judge Kuhnle said in his tentative ruling. "Therefore, the court finds the overall settlement is amount is fair."

Under the deal, shareholder counsel would receive 33 percent in attorneys' fees, or approximately $2.475 million. In his tentative, Judge Kuhnle asked the counsel to submit lodestar information, including hourly rates and hours worked, before the final approval hearing so he can compare it to the requested fees.

If approved, the deal would mark an end to the proposed shareholder class action Warren Schneider filed against MobileIron in August 2015, claiming the company hid the fact that it had been hacked weeks before its June 2014 IPO, sending share values tumbling after MobileIron lost customers.

MobileIron was founded in 2007 and spent two years developing its software, which allows companies to manage and secure mobile applications and devices and provide employees with privacy options. By 2014, its customers included top aerospace and defense firms, pharmaceutical companies, railroads, electric companies and vehicle makers, according to the suit.

MobileIron claimed it could protect customers' mobile devices from common security problems, including the so-called Heartbleed security bug and "man in the middle" attacks, in which someone attempts to intercept information moving between two computers, according to the complaint.

But a week after the IPO, an online insurance news outlet in the United Kingdom reported that European insurer Aviva PLC's mobile devices had been compromised. The perpetrator was able to send emails that appeared to come from MobileIron that said, "it maks my hart bled to say good by lik this, love u mobile iron," according to the complaint.

MobileIron was quoted in news reports at the time as saying it was an isolated incident. Subsequent articles reported that the hacker had been able to fully wipe Aviva employees' mobile devices, costing the company millions, according to the complaint. News outlets also reported that Aviva was switching to BlackBerry's services and canceled its contract with MobileIron.

Almost a year after the IPO, in April 2015, MobileIron disclosed that it had "witnessed multiple large deals from North American customers that did not close as expected." That news, combined with lower revenues, led MobileIron's stock prices to fall from $9 to $2.39 per share, the suit said. Schneider filed suit on behalf of a proposed class of investors who participated in the IPO, which raised $100 million for the company, according to the complaint.

In March 2016, Schneider's suit was consolidated with two other suits brought by shareholders Jay Kerley and Chaile Steinberg, and after surviving a demurrer, the parties entered into settlement negotiations, according to the court docket. Ultimately, the parties were able to resolve the case by accepting a double blind mediator's proposal from U.S. District Judge Layn R. Phillips, Judge Kuhnle's tentative ruling said.

In his tentative, the judge noted that the shareholders' success at trial is far from certain because MobileIron has vigorously denied that the investors could prove any of the challenged statements from the offering materials were false and not mere puffery. MobileIron additionally disputed the extent to which the price decline in its common stock could be attributed to the company's statements, the judge said.

The judge preliminarily approved the deal and pushed back the final approval hearing from Aug. 1 to Aug. 18.
    08-12-17 04:32 AM
    An update on the case against BLU Products:

On July 11th ''Joint Motion For Order Extending Notice'':
    The Parties are in the process of attempting to negotiate a solution of their dispute, and to that end, the Parties have scheduled a face-to-face meeting for that purpose. As such, the Parties respectfully believe that if the July 26th filing is delayed until August 23rd, the Parties will be in a position to provide the Court with a far more meaningful status of the proceedings.

On August 10th ''Joint Motion To Dismiss Without Prejudice'':
    Pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 41, the Parties, Plaintiff Blackberry Limited, and Defendant BLU Products, Inc. (collectively, the “Parties”), hereby stipulate to and move the Court for entry of an Order dismissing this action without prejudice. The Parties further agree that the Court will retain jurisdiction to enforce the terms of the Memorandum of Understanding executed by the Parties on July 19, 2017. The Parties further stipulate that each side shall bear their own costs and fees, including all attorneys’ fees.

I am not a lwayer, but for me it sounds like they decided to negotiate, delayed therefore the next hearing to August 23th and then they filed a joint motion to dimiss the case on August 10th. For me it sounds like a settlement between BlackBerry and Blu Products out of court

Posted via CB10
    08-12-17 05:52 AM
    The Parties further agree that the Court will retain jurisdiction to enforce the terms of the Memorandum of Understanding executed by the Parties on July 19, 2017.
    Looks like it to me if they have an MOU. An MOU is the same as a letter of intent, which is a nonbinding agreement stating a binding agreement will soon follow. And the court will back it up. We will probably have our answer by August 23, or sooner.
    Last edited by W Hoa; 08-12-17 at 07:01 AM.
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    08-12-17 06:43 AM
    Looks like it to me if they have an MOU. An MOU is the same as a letter of intent, which is a nonbinding agreement stating a binding agreement will soon follow. And the court will back it up. We will probably have our answer by August 23, or sooner.
    There was not much to be expected from the Blu trial, much more interesting was the fact that BB could have used a favourable ruling to sue bigger rivals like AAPL. Not sure if the propsed settlement with Blu would help BB suing AAPL.

Any ideas anyone?
    Last edited by muhlan001; 08-12-17 at 09:23 AM.
    08-12-17 08:48 AM
    I think they are forming a partnership and dropping the lawsuit on that basis.

"The Parties further stipulate that each side shall bear their own costs and fees, including all attorneys’ fees. "

This is a friendly conclusion with a MOU so I would think that BlackBerry will sign a 5-year deal with BLU. We'll see.
    08-12-17 10:35 AM
    I think they are forming a partnership and dropping the lawsuit on that basis.

"The Parties further stipulate that each side shall bear their own costs and fees, including all attorneys’ fees. "

This is a friendly conclusion with a MOU so I would think that BlackBerry will sign a 5-year deal with BLU. We'll see.
    Hopefully BlackBerry can settle with AAPL based on the Blue trial findings out of court
    morganplus8 likes this.
    08-12-17 10:38 AM
    That caught my attention as well. So maybe a modest settlement and a licensing deal?
    08-12-17 10:39 AM
    That caught my attention as well. So maybe a modest settlement and a licensing deal?
    Precisely, I think Chen wants reoccurring revenues and not cash deals. He has managed to settle with QCOM the same way but that lawsuit required some cash. This one doesn't need to be a cash settlement so much as a per unit sold royalty forever. Plus, they could fortify patents together. Should be interesting to say the least. The last thing we need is more cash that BlackBerry hasn't a clue what to do with. Revenues and high margins are the name of the growth game now.
    08-12-17 10:49 AM
    The last thing we need is more cash that BlackBerry hasn't a clue what to do with.
    LOL
    08-12-17 10:52 AM
113,256 ... 41224123412441254126 ...