1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    WTF? Like Madonna 's boobs, no support.

Back in the 8s again? smh
    08-09-17 03:58 PM
    @_dimi "So they reserve without paying any money in advance.. so they can spin the wheel 3 times per day to win a prize ..."

I'm not a registered JD.COM user so can't tell if a deposit is required when filling out the reservation/pre-order form, but the incentives definitely help. Unlike Amazon, JD.COM and TCL seem to make a bigger effort to push KEYone with more incentives like free trial, device trade-in, 3 to 12 installments interest-free payment plan, BB badges and free JD.COM points. Coupled with 3999 yuan (599 usd) for the better spec'd KEYone, they may just be able to get the best launch yet and give us a short-term catalyst to tide us over to the new product releases from Radar and QNX in the fall.

Some other points I managed to glean from the China launch event video (but don't hold me to them as my Mandarin is rusty):
    - TCL believes and aims to make China the leading market for BB phones within 3 years
    - TCL is targetting consumers in China, not business users, so probably not a catalyst for BB UEM business there, at least not initially.
    - KEYone will be available in China in both black and silver colour options, both with the enhanced spec's of 4G RAM and 64G storage
    - JD.COM approached TCL at Bacelona's MWC about selling BB phones in China, and JD.COM suggested the sale price and enhanced specs. They signed a 3 year partnership with TCL.
    08-09-17 04:44 PM
    @_dimi "So they reserve without paying any money in advance.. so they can spin the wheel 3 times per day to win a prize ..."

I'm not a registered JD.COM user so can't tell if a deposit is required when filling out the reservation/pre-order form, but the incentives definitely help. Unlike Amazon, JD.COM and TCL seem to make a bigger effort to push KEYone with more incentives like free trial, device trade-in, 3 to 12 installments interest-free payment plan, BB badges and free JD.COM points. Coupled with 3999 yuan (599 usd) for the better spec'd KEYone, they may just be able to get the best launch yet and give us a short-term catalyst to tide us over to the new product releases from Radar and QNX in the fall.

Some other points I managed to glean from the China launch event video (but don't hold me to them as my Mandarin is rusty):
    - TCL believes and aims to make China the leading market for BB phones within 3 years
    - TCL is targetting consumers in China, not business users, so probably not a catalyst for BB UEM business there, at least not initially.
    - KEYone will be available in China in both black and silver colour options, both with the enhanced spec's of 4G RAM and 64G storage
    - JD.COM approached TCL at Bacelona's MWC about selling BB phones in China, and JD.COM suggested the sale price and enhanced specs. They signed a 3 year partnership with TCL.
    Thank you jsocan! That's very helpful

Posted via CB10
    08-09-17 05:23 PM
    Indeed, jsocan, great info. Just the type of info that we need on this thread. Much appreciated!
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    08-09-17 06:35 PM
    I hate to say this, but this post gets to the core of something that's been nagging at me for a while, which I haven't been able to put into words. I think the dynamic you describe Morgan is why I was unable to game play my way to a merger / acquisition path.

That said, if Prem takes the company private for a low value in the near future, that might be a class action law suit waiting to happen. (?)
    Good luck proving a case against him and Prime Cap, they are under water in the trade and this company is so close to a turn for the better. They get frustrated, can't take it any more and offer a 40% premium and everyone jumps on it. The cash alone will finance the entire deal. Its funny how they are the only ones that could purchase BlackBerry. I'm probably the only person with this theory but I have been given plenty of "quiet time" to think about it!

I would like Chen to prove me wrong but the connection between Prem and how the company is run is too comfortable/predictable for me. At this point, I might not care if they act together to take it private. We are waiting far too long to hear something from BB.

On a more positive note, we are so over-sold now we might get something of a pop here.

My question to Corbu, is GS the lowest target or is there one more I can't remember? The average is so much higher that you have to wonder out loud why it is sub $ 9.00 at all. Best of luck gang.
    08-09-17 06:59 PM
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    08-09-17 07:03 PM
    Cheap covering, thank you John Chen
    Some one has started a bash John Chen/ BlackBerry thread, hurry and join it. PLEASE! !!
    08-09-17 07:08 PM
    Whatever happened to the armchair CEO thread?
    We have a new CEO on this thread. Lol

Thanks for the laugh.
    Last edited by bbjdog; 08-09-17 at 07:23 PM.
    08-09-17 07:08 PM
    My question to Corbu, is GS the lowest target or is there one more I can't remember?
    Credit Suisse is the perpetual laggard in this regard. Credit Suisse analyst Kulbinder Garcha previewed the (last quarter) report, reiterated an Underperform rating and $8 price target.
    Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    08-09-17 07:29 PM
    Not sure if this has been posted or not! HBO Hacked and personal information stolen . Maybe John Chen could make a few phone calls tomorrow to HBO, Sony, ect. http://theweek.com/speedreads/717071...-further-leaks

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    08-09-17 07:54 PM
    JC was just on Bloomberg TV.

No gound-breaking news.

Will try and post a link.
    rarsen likes this.
    08-09-17 07:57 PM
    There you go:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/video...strategy-video

BlackBerry's CEO on N. Korea, Growth, U.S. Immigration

9:26 PM EDT
    August 9, 2017

John Chen, executive chairman and chief executive officer at BlackBerry, discusses the company's partnership with Indonesia, his biggest growth markets, the situation between the U.S. and North Korea, his growth strategy, U.S. trade policy and U.S. immigration policy. He speaks exclusively on "Bloomberg Daybreak: Asia." (Source: Bloomberg)
    08-09-17 08:27 PM
    Some one has started a bash John Chen/ BlackBerry thread, hurry and join it. PLEASE! !!
    Didn`t know that this was the "Hurray for John Chen" thread. Would like to join your cheerleading for John Chen, but would you mind telling me for what exactly we are celebrating him? It seems I somehow missed his achievements for shareholders
    Last edited by muhlan001; 08-10-17 at 01:10 AM.
    techvisor likes this.
    08-10-17 12:39 AM
    Didn`t know that this was the "Hurray for John Chen" thread
    It isn't. But it isn't the "Whingeing about John Chen" thread either.
    Last edited by W Hoa; 08-10-17 at 07:06 AM.
    Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    08-10-17 06:46 AM
    OT. But wow...
    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...ter-using-dna/
    Scientists Hack a Computer Using DNA

08-10-17 06:58 AM
    Vuzix Teams Up With BlackBerry To Deliver M300 Smart Glasses to Enterprise Customers

One day after the above video was posted...

Published on Aug 9, 2017
    BlackBerry enables IT departments to manage and secure the data accessed and captured through its smart glasses. Deployed with BlackBerry Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) software, Smart Glasses will enable the millions of employees estimated to use head worn wearable devices on the job to communicate clearly and access critical data, without interruption from the task at hand.
    W Hoa, rarsen, BanffMoose and 2 others like this.
    08-10-17 07:17 AM
    From my TD alerts
    Vuzix Teams Up With BlackBerry To Deliver M300 Smart Glasses to Enterprise Customers
    2017-08-10 08:00:00 AM ET (PR Newswire)

Vuzix(R) Corporation (NASDAQ: VUZI), ("Vuzix" or, the "Company"), a leading supplier of Smart Glasses, Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) technologies and products for the consumer and enterprise markets, is pleased to announce the company has teamed up with BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB) to enable IT departments to manage and secure the data accessed and captured through its smart glasses. Deployed with BlackBerry Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) software, Vuzix Smart Glasses will enable the millions of employees estimated to use head worn wearable devices on the job to communicate clearly and access critical data, without interruption from the task at hand.

https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/452536/Vuzix_Logo.jpg

"We are excited to partner with BlackBerry, a global leader in secure operating systems, mobile communications and mobile device management to deliver secure and simple applications to BlackBerry's enterprise customers built around the Vuzix M300 Smart Glasses", said Paul Travers, President and CEO of Vuzix.

BlackBerry UEM enables customers to connect and manage wearable enterprise devices alongside other endpoints such as smartphones, tablets and laptops - all on a trusted, secure and scalable platform. It supports all major operating systems and provides the granular control, visibility and flexibility that IT needs to secure all endpoints.

"As more and more devices and connection points emerge, IT departments are tasked with not only ensuring data and information are secure, but also providing a unified workspace for employees," said Mark Wilson, SVP and Chief Evangelist, BlackBerry. "We're excited to partner with Vuzix to provide an innovative solution that will improve productivity and most importantly help keep people and information safe."
    Corbu, W Hoa, BanffMoose and 3 others like this.
    08-10-17 07:19 AM
    Should have caught the hint, yesterday...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-smart-glasses-powered-blackberry-uem.mp4_snapshot_00.41_-2017.08.10_08.26.19-.jpg

Vuzix's website:
    https://www.vuzix.com/home/#1
    08-10-17 07:27 AM
    Vuzix Smart Glasses Used in DHL's Successful Trials, DHL Making Smart Glasses New Standard in its Supply Chain Logistics :: Vuzix Corporation (VUZI)

After completing a series of pilot programs across the U.S., Mainland Europe and the UK throughout different industries including technology, retail and consumer, DHL has now established Vision Picking as the solution for the long run.
    08-10-17 07:34 AM
    It isn't. But it isn't the "Whingeing about John Chen" thread either.
    Critizising a CEO of publich company that failed so far to generate any shareholder value and even destroyed it by his actions is "whingeing" for you? Interesting
    08-10-17 07:46 AM
    Critizising a CEO of publich company that failed so far to generate any shareholder value and even destroyed it by his actions is "whingeing" for you? Interesting
    Since Chen enjoys huge shareholder and board support, they must be ok with his performance. What specifically would you have done and do going forward in order to get his job?
    08-10-17 08:00 AM
    Since Chen enjoys huge shareholder and board support, they must be ok with his performance. What specifically would you have done and do going forward in order to get his job?
    Your so called support is mainly based on support by Prem Watsa who controls the biggest voting block of shares. The question is not what would I have done because I do not get paid millions of $s. John Chen is getting big paychecks and shares via option for free, but does not bother to answer questions by shareholders or disclose useable segement breakdowns. In my opinion John Chen would be a great COO, but is a really bad CEO
    techvisor likes this.
    08-10-17 08:28 AM
    Your so called support is mainly based on support by Prem Watsa who controls the biggest voting block of shares. The question is not what would I have done because I do not get paid millions of $s. John Chen is getting big paychecks and shares via option for free, but does not bother to answer questions by shareholders or disclose useable segement breakdowns. In my opinion John Chen would be a great COO, but is a really bad CEO
    If you're an average individual/retail investor, holding an "average" number of shares, do you really expect to get anything other than silence or at most, "the party line"? If you're one of the largest institutional investors, then maybe you'd get more answers or slightly better insight than the retail investor. But I'm pretty sure there are rules about disclosing too much non-public information to even institutional investors. Bottom line, if BlackBery isn't disclosing information publicly, or to analysts, or institutional investors, they sure aren't going to disclose it to a retail investor.

Rant all you want, but in the end, none of us on this board are in a position to do anything about it. The most we can do is 1) become Corbu's apprentice and try to become the greatest info seeker/gatherer out there, or 2) sell our shares and walk away.
    08-10-17 09:25 AM
    This ER just passed did provide segment breakdown. It's new so it takes some time to adjust in mind what is within each, but there is a description of each segment in the 10Q.

I also posted some info earlier in this thread after the ER which helps to work out the approximate licensing fees and revs from BBM beyond the original contract with EmTek.

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor, Corbu, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    08-10-17 09:35 AM
    If you're an average individual/retail investor, holding an "average" number of shares, do you really expect to get anything other than silence or at most, "the party line"? If you're one of the largest institutional investors, then maybe you'd get more answers or slightly better insight than the retail investor. But I'm pretty sure there are rules about disclosing too much non-public information to even institutional investors. Bottom line, if BlackBery isn't disclosing information publicly, or to analysts, or institutional investors, they sure aren't going to disclose it to a retail investor.

Rant all you want, but in the end, none of us on this board are in a position to do anything about it. The most we can do is 1) become Corbu's apprentice and try to become the greatest info seeker/gatherer out there, or 2) sell our shares and walk away.
    Oh, is there a number two option? Darn thanks for pointing that out!..Geez!
    I thought when I buy shares, Im locked in forever. ( sarcasm... hehehe )

Seriously though, I would be buying more at this price but I'm tapped out.
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    08-10-17 09:37 AM
113,251 ... 41204121412241234124 ...