Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Anyone who speaks Chinese?

https://sale.jd.com/act/3PNeVaWRzDG8d.html?cpdad=1DLSUE

This is the order page for the KEYone. There's a number mentioned, currently 36251, and some are claiming this to be the number of devices ordered since yesterday.

I'm thinking it's probably the number of page visits?!

Posted via CB10
    With the Google translate indicates now 38,545 people have made an appointment...
    morganplus8 likes this.
    08-09-17 07:07 AM
    With the Google translate indicates now 38,545 people have made an appointment...
    Let's get some headlines that China is going bonkers for BlackBerry and release some numbers about what this could actually gain for the company.

One thing I feel that BlackBerry has left out of any projections (and maybe it's smart to have done so) is any gains they stand to make from licensing their hardware out now. Isn't this going to mean more revenue for BlackBerry in an area that has caused them huge losses over the last several years? Isn't that, in and of itself, a huge win for their turnaround effort? Or has BlackBerry still put a significant amount of R+D into the KEYone and they are simply hoping to break even with their licensing revenue?

I don't understand... all people used to talk about was BlackBerry's devices, and then they talked about the exit of the hardware division. And now that there is a new structure that stands to make the company some profits again, there's just no news about it anymore?

Why is it such a trend to paint doom for this company? I don't get it...
    morganplus8 likes this.
    08-09-17 07:22 AM
    Even with a generous license of 20$ per handset, KeyOne will only bring it minimal revenues and minimal profits. If the number had shown 3,854,500 right now then we could start talking
    08-09-17 07:24 AM
    Let's get some headlines that China is going bonkers for BlackBerry and release some numbers about what this could actually gain for the company.

One thing I feel that BlackBerry has left out of any projections (and maybe it's smart to have done so) is any gains they stand to make from licensing their hardware out now. Isn't this going to mean more revenue for BlackBerry in an area that has caused them huge losses over the last several years? Isn't that, in and of itself, a huge win for their turnaround effort? Or has BlackBerry still put a significant amount of R+D into the KEYone and they are simply hoping to break even with their licensing revenue?

I don't understand... all people used to talk about was BlackBerry's devices, and then they talked about the exit of the hardware division. And now that there is a new structure that stands to make the company some profits again, there's just no news about it anymore?

Same here, that is why I said the biggest surprise would be BlackBerry handsets that everyone has ignored.

FYI, it crossed 40000 already in pre orders.
    08-09-17 07:45 AM
    Even with a generous license of 20$ per handset, KeyOne will only bring it minimal revenues and minimal profits. If the number had shown 3,854,500 right now then we could start talking
    I agree that in the big picture, the number is small compared to their other sources of revenue. But the fact that there is a gain where there was previously a loss is a big deal. Isn't China, alone, a market that they haven't even been in? For quite a while, at least?
    morganplus8 likes this.
    08-09-17 07:48 AM
    I'd prefer if you just posted one or more of letters, not the summaries.
    Here are our eight letters to BB. Even to the frist more friendly ones we never got a reply.

Letter to BBRY BOD I.pdf
    Letter to BBRY BOD II.pdf
    Letter to BBRY BOD III.pdf
    Letter to BBRY BOD IV.pdf
    Letter to BBRY BOD V.pdf
    Letter to BBRY BOD VI.pdf
    Letter to BBRY BOD VII.pdf
    Letter to BBRY BOD VIII.pdf
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    08-09-17 07:56 AM
    Short numbers for BlackBerry continued to fall between July 15 and July 30 on the TSX

BLACKBERRY LIMITED * BB * 18,298,613 * 18,916,231 * -617,618
    08-09-17 08:26 AM
    Short numbers for BlackBerry continued to fall between July 15 and July 30 on the TSX

BLACKBERRY LIMITED * BB * 18,298,613 * 18,916,231 * -617,618
    Cheap covering, thank you John Chen
    08-09-17 08:32 AM
    Whatever happened to the armchair CEO thread?
    La Emperor and morganplus8 like this.
    08-09-17 08:34 AM
    Sorry to bother you again, Morgan, but could you please clarify this bit:

"This tells me that Prem calls the shots and he prefers that BB transact its way out of a no growth scenario and not spend its cash on revenues."

Are you implying that Prem put JC in a situation where JC needs to grow revenue through organic sales, because Prem wants to preserve that > 2 billion in cash? Doesn't this mean that if JC doesn't succeed, Prem could very well be in favour of a sale?

To be honest, I'd rather have them sit on their cash pile instead of spending it on a new product that doesn't result in anything material. R&D or product pipeline really isn't the problem with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    We do know that Prem tried to purchased BB, he then had BB issue bonds to bring down his average cost of stock and collect interest. Prem was in huge trouble with his investment in BB and the only way to save grace was to obtain a vehicle to lower his cost base. Then, BB pays him a large penalty to cancel those bonds and they issue $ 500 MM more to him to maintain his cost average! There aren't many companies in the world that will treat a shareholder so favourabily. I personally can't think of a time that a shareholder was able to save their trade in this way. The simple fact is that BB is an easy target to be acquired based upon the cash held. Prem could easily buy the company himself at any time and surely prevent anyone else from buying it in the interim. I also can't think of a company that needs to grow NOW, not take advantage of over $ 3 B bucks when there were companies in their back yard like Mobil Eye going or peanuts. While you are in Israel shopping for tiny start ups, you could have picked up Mobile Eye for nothing. It's hard for me to believe that the guy that placed Chen in BB and asked for a Convertible Bond issue to save himself in the investment world wouldn't want to protect that cash as well. Prem's exit plan could in fact be to purchase BB down the road at a very attractive price. I'm speculating here but its because BB isn't talking now for almost 2 months and they aren't buying back any shares in the interim and we are still waiting for our first acquisition to take place in a very long time.

The Good deal cost $ 420 MM and their revenue was $ 200 MM when purchased only to net to $ 160 MM when BB bought them. That's not comforting to know is it? At the same time, micro companies are hitting the market and turning into mega deals over night.
    08-09-17 08:48 AM

Isn't this going to mean more revenue for BlackBerry in an area that has caused them huge losses over the last several years? Isn't that, in and of itself, a huge win for their turnaround effort? Or has BlackBerry still put a significant amount of R+D into the KEYone and they are simply hoping to break even with their licensing revenue?

We don't know what the revenue per device is. We don't know how much BBRY is spending on the Android software and support. We don't know how many KEYone's have sold.

It sounds like it kind of sort of could work at some scale, but it's hard to get excited about that part of the business with no actual data. It could be losing money today for all we know. Software is a mostly fixed cost, scale business. So data matters.
    kadakn01 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    08-09-17 10:01 AM
    We don't know what the revenue per device is. We don't know how much BBRY is spending on the Android software and support. We don't know how many KEYone's have sold.

It sounds like it kind of sort of could work at some scale, but it's hard to get excited about that part of the business with no actual data. It could be losing money today for all we know. Software is a mostly fixed cost, scale business. So data matters.
    I agree completely. I don't think there is any cause for celebration (far from it, obviously) but it would be nice to have a glimpse at these numbers sooner than later. And, also, the original point of my comment was just basically to ask why the heck there is zero coverage of the KEYone rolling out all over the world (and with some mild enthusiasm to go along with it). The media just wants to keep dumping on BlackBerry no matter what they do and the stock just keeps suffering for it.
    Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    08-09-17 10:17 AM
    I agree completely. I don't think there is any cause for celebration (far from it, obviously) but it would be nice to have a glimpse at these numbers sooner than later. And, also, the original point of my comment was just basically to ask why the heck there is zero coverage of the KEYone rolling out all over the world (and with some mild enthusiasm to go along with it). The media just wants to keep dumping on BlackBerry no matter what they do and the stock just keeps suffering for it.
    I don't blame the media for this. The reason sp is sideways is because the only actual measurable win this year was the Qualcomm case. Everything else is a nice story about potential neat new businesses that could be big but with no data and no guidance.

So naturally this is the result. Now once we see real results then that's a different story and I hope BBRY soars after that. But they need to produce solid results or at least guidance. That's not the media's job. That's Chen's job.
    08-09-17 10:28 AM
    kellyweng88, La Emperor and rarsen like this.
    08-09-17 10:33 AM
    Hello Indonesia! Thank you for the warm welcome! 🇮🇩 🇨🇦

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-dgxc5bfxoaexxrp.jpg
    kellyweng88 and La Emperor like this.
    08-09-17 10:35 AM
    Since it seems that John Chen and the Board of Directors do not understand why shareholders are pissed off by the stock performance, maybe they understand it this way:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-skopierer-u17080917340.jpg
    kellyweng88 likes this.
    08-09-17 10:49 AM
    @rarsen "With the Google translate indicates now 38,545 people have made an appointment..."

The two chinese characters also mean to reserve or make a reservation. For everyone who have successfully reserved, they can spin the prize wheel three times daily for prizes. And the count is now 48558.
    08-09-17 10:50 AM
    @rarsen "With the Google translate indicates now 38,545 people have made an appointment..."

The two chinese characters also mean to reserve or make a reservation. For everyone who have successfully reserved, they can spin the prize wheel three times daily for prizes. And the count is now 48558.
    So they reserve without paying any money in advance.. so they can spin the wheel 3 times per day to win a prize. That sounds about right :-/

Posted via CB10
    W Hoa and howarmat like this.
    08-09-17 10:56 AM
    08-09-17 12:33 PM
    Indonesia:
    https://en.tempo.co/read/news/2017/0...urity-Software
    Govt Mulls to use Blackberry Security Software
    08-09-17 12:40 PM
  21. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I had a bad "feeling" after the last quarter and sold off all my remaining position leading up to and right after ER ...

I think investors need to see that revenues are on the rise, via new streams such as Radar, QNX, etc.....and they have not as yet. Cash is sitting there, yet no private acquisitions, no partnership announcements, no big "wins", and the company is not serious about buying back stock or making headlines, or really supporting their SP atm ---all this during a long bull market run --- so long investors are either on the sidelines, or looking to other areas, including me ....

Imo, All momentum was lost last quarter when Chen didn't deliver on anticipated expectations, missing badly, while momentum and perception was finally on the upswing....

... perhaps better entry point will be after the next reporting quarter, or two... when some of the "potential" may turn into "actuals" propelling the company upwards with growing sustainable revenues.

After ten or more years investing in this company...i will watch from the sidelines for now... I appreciate all the longs who continue to post, and to follow the company... I continue to look forward to reading your posts...

.... best to all Long investors and BlackBerry enthusiasts!!....

From my day one Passport

Posted via CB10
    08-09-17 12:48 PM
    Corbu (and others): Thanks (again) for saving us the hassle of both going down the rabbit hole to these shill sites, and also giving them the clicks.

It's unfortunate that the knob-gobblins running our Gov't can't see clearly enough to bridge between a Samsung and bb10 by (logically) going with a BlackBerry-Android variant. They would get a full-on Android with the security thrown in for free! Plus, with existing BlackBerry contracts already in place, one would think that the roll-over to BlackBerry Android would be less paperwork.

... but then again, when has our Gov't demonstrated efficiency?
    08-09-17 01:18 PM
    The mood is definitely negative here. I think it's worth pointing out, though, that we're still up quite a bit for the year. I have a very small position, but it's still healthily in the green. So it's not all bad here.

The stock will be up even more if and when they produce results. It's not about the shorts or the media or anything else other than these new products need to grow into real businesses.

Until then what we own is actually just a share of a pile of cash, the NPV of the declining legacy business, the expected value of patents, and some interesting new products that have potential. The market values that at about $9.
    08-09-17 01:33 PM
    Short interest
    Was 43.2M and now 39.9M so a 3M decrease or the lowest since Jan 2012
    08-09-17 03:08 PM
    We do know that Prem tried to purchased BB, he then had BB issue bonds to bring down his average cost of stock and collect interest. Prem was in huge trouble with his investment in BB and the only way to save grace was to obtain a vehicle to lower his cost base. Then, BB pays him a large penalty to cancel those bonds and they issue $ 500 MM more to him to maintain his cost average! There aren't many companies in the world that will treat a shareholder so favourabily. I personally can't think of a time that a shareholder was able to save their trade in this way. The simple fact is that BB is an easy target to be acquired based upon the cash held. Prem could easily buy the company himself at any time and surely prevent anyone else from buying it in the interim. I also can't think of a company that needs to grow NOW, not take advantage of over $ 3 B bucks when there were companies in their back yard like Mobil Eye going or peanuts. While you are in Israel shopping for tiny start ups, you could have picked up Mobile Eye for nothing. It's hard for me to believe that the guy that placed Chen in BB and asked for a Convertible Bond issue to save himself in the investment world wouldn't want to protect that cash as well. Prem's exit plan could in fact be to purchase BB down the road at a very attractive price. I'm speculating here but its because BB isn't talking now for almost 2 months and they aren't buying back any shares in the interim and we are still waiting for our first acquisition to take place in a very long time.

The Good deal cost $ 420 MM and their revenue was $ 200 MM when purchased only to net to $ 160 MM when BB bought them. That's not comforting to know is it? At the same time, micro companies are hitting the market and turning into mega deals over night.
    I hate to say this, but this post gets to the core of something that's been nagging at me for a while, which I haven't been able to put into words. I think the dynamic you describe Morgan is why I was unable to game play my way to a merger / acquisition path.

That said, if Prem takes the company private for a low value in the near future, that might be a class action law suit waiting to happen. (?)
    08-09-17 03:48 PM
113,250 ... 41194120412141224123 ...