View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    It's time to start the Buyback program and start accumulating over time. Just my two cents worth.
    If going lower, they'll sit on cash and buy later. Why buy high?
    08-07-17 09:10 AM
    If going lower, they'll sit on cash and buy later. Why buy high?
    That all depends on how lower the price will go. But it's a big if.
    08-07-17 09:29 AM
    John Chen fails miserably when it comes to execution period. The fact that GS only refers to enterprise mobility and automotive and not RADAR or BBM shows another failure of John Chen: the failure to sell his vision to investors
    How much does BlackBerry, Ltd actually participate in the growth opportunities with BBM? I don't understand that until we see the terms of the licensing agreement between BBM (the new company) and BlackBerry, Ltd (the company we are actually invested in). For example, with BBM payments, does that result in incremental revenue to BBRY? If so, how much?

On Radar, I agree that's potentially a huge thing that analysts are ignoring. But, to be fair, BBRY hasn't given any solid guidance yet on that business. So how can an analyst reasonably build that into a projection? That's on Chen to provide some clarity there.
    kadakn01 likes this.
    08-07-17 10:13 AM
    How much does BlackBerry, Ltd actually participate in the growth opportunities with BBM? I don't understand that until we see the terms of the licensing agreement between BBM (the new company) and BlackBerry, Ltd (the company we are actually invested in). For example, with BBM payments, does that result in incremental revenue to BBRY? If so, how much?

On Radar, I agree that's potentially a huge thing that analysts are ignoring. But, to be fair, BBRY hasn't given any solid guidance yet on that business. So how can an analyst reasonably build that into a projection? That's on Chen to provide some clarity there.
    Like I said: John Chen is to be blamed for his mishandling of IR. With BBM they licensed a potential growth driver out, but John Chen does not bother to give us any information about how the business is going and what are the future plans. Same with RADAR: only "huge interes" BS and no real numbers. I am really fed up with this arrogant attitude of ignoring shareholders` interest every day by withholding information or giving out misleading information. Being a CEO of a public company brings some fiduciary duty towards shareholders with it, but John Chen seems to think he can act like being at the helmet of a private company.

And to all the "John Chen hurray" sayers: really?
    08-07-17 10:41 AM
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_S._Chen

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-28452653.jpg
    Last edited by bbjdog; 08-07-17 at 12:45 PM.
    08-07-17 11:01 AM
    Like I said: John Chen is to be blamed for his mishandling of IR. With BBM they licensed a potential growth driver out, but John Chen does not bother to give us any information about how the business is going and what are the future plans. Same with RADAR: only "huge interes" BS and no real numbers. I am really fed up with this arrogant attitude of ignoring shareholders` interest every day by withholding information or giving out misleading information. Being a CEO of a public company brings some fiduciary duty towards shareholders with it, but John Chen seems to think he can act like being at the helmet of a private company.
    not to stoke the fire here, but have you tried to reach out to the IR team at BB to get clarity on what you're wondering about? have you tried to articulate the specific questions or come up with a way you would do it? or have you tried to approach how JC is handling his communications in a way that doesn't assume that he is a complete moron?

JC has said on numerous occasions that the main goal he has with RADAR (and other offerings) is to get customers onboard, then the revenue numbers will follow sometime later. Aka sell a base model and up-sell from there -> classic software sales strategy.
    08-07-17 12:16 PM
    OT Cyberwar article on the developing scary world out there, for the Security conscious:

Cyberwar: A guide to the frightening future of online conflict | ZDNet
    "According to US intelligence chiefs, more than 30 countries are developing offensive cyber attack capabilities, although most of these government hacking programmes are shrouded in secrecy. Big industrial control systems or military networks are often considered the main targets in cyberwarfare but one consequence of the rise of the Internet of Things may be to bring the battlefield into our homes. Connected thermostats, cameras and cookers could all be used either to spy on citizens of another country, or to cause havoc if they were hacked. Closely related to cyberwarfare is the concept of information warfare; that is, the use of disinformation and propaganda in order to influence others -- like the citizens of another state."
    08-07-17 12:17 PM
    Truly love this part!!!!! reason BB has a hard time!!

Closely related to cyberwarfare is the concept of information warfare; that is, the use of disinformation and propaganda in order to influence others -- like the citizens of another state."
    La Emperor and rarsen like this.
    08-07-17 12:36 PM
    not to stoke the fire here, but have you tried to reach out to the IR team at BB to get clarity on what you're wondering about? have you tried to articulate the specific questions or come up with a way you would do it? or have you tried to approach how JC is handling his communications in a way that doesn't assume that he is a complete moron?

JC has said on numerous occasions that the main goal he has with RADAR (and other offerings) is to get customers onboard, then the revenue numbers will follow sometime later. Aka sell a base model and up-sell from there -> classic software sales strategy.
    I have contacted IR several times and even wrote several letters to John Chen and the Board of Directors, but since I was not just praising them for achieving nothing I never get any answer. Ask critical questions and John Chen and his buddies put you on ignore. An absolutely inappropriate behaviour for the CEO of a public company.

Regarding RADAR I would be happy to see customers coming aboard, but so far only empty promises form John Chen instead of significant high volume customer wins

Posted via CB10
    08-07-17 01:11 PM
    Hi Morgan,

Do you truly believe that JC can pull off a smart acquisition or partnership in the current market environment? One that fits their need (channel, revenue and a profit) and is within their budget. One that does not just result in endless restructuring programs, only to find out that it did not pay off in the end and that the cash is now gone?! Or is their money worth more in the bank, in case there is actual interest from Microsoft or Samsung as a potential suitor...? I wonder if someone cut off management's *****, or that the market has just gotten too expensive/risky for a decent return on investment. Because let's face it, we're not going to see $ 0.60 EPS any time soon, and what seems to be in their way is a decent sales channel. Imho, they should partner up, even if that includes taking a first step towards being acquired. I'm sure their competitors (in UEM, cybersecurity, asset tracking...) would gladly do so......

Posted via CB10
    08-07-17 04:42 PM
    I have contacted IR several times and even wrote several letters to John Chen and the Board of Directors, but since I was not just praising them for achieving nothing I never get any answer. Ask critical questions and John Chen and his buddies put you on ignore. An absolutely inappropriate behaviour for the CEO of a public company.
    Could you post one of the letters you have sent?

[QUOTE=muhlan001;12983135]
    Regarding RADAR I would be happy to see customers coming aboard, but so far only empty promises form John Chen instead of significant high volume customer wins
    [/QUOTE

They did land UPS, and if you go by what JC laid out, then the volume orders should come down the line.
    08-07-17 04:47 PM
    08-07-17 04:57 PM
    Or is their money worth more in the bank, in case there is actual interest from Microsoft or Samsung as a potential suitor...?
    Sorry for jumping in here _dimi. I look forward to hearing what Morgan thinks.

If I may give you my two cents, I think you can remove Samsung from the list of potential suitors. My guess is that they tried, but got a thumb down from the Canadian / US government. At least that would explain why the are mirroring BBs feature set acquisition by acquisition. (Or at least the one where they bought the IM company. And their focus on Tizen. And KNOX. )

Not sure what I think about Microsoft.

I tried to game theory it out a while back, but didn't really land on anything. If you considered that for all intents and purposes they have spun out BBM + hardware (where both have a huge potential), while EMM is what's funding the party, then the core focus / growth opportunity is on secure software (+ HaaS), aka a full stack network+software+services. If more and more markets are switching to a RTOS environment, then the above can be a very valuable mix for BB. That means that we're on the way out of the famous innovators gap / uncanny valley. Then somebody like Uber or Lyft might even be interested. If Lyft is, that would probably mean that Google bought BB.

Bah.. I start going in circles really quickly.
    _dimi_ and Bacon Munchers like this.
    08-07-17 05:06 PM
    Sorry for jumping in here _dimi. I look forward to hearing what Morgan thinks.

If I may give you my two cents, I think you can remove Samsung from the list of potential suitors. My guess is that they tried, but got a thumb down from the Canadian / US government. At least that would explain why the are mirroring BBs feature set acquisition by acquisition. (Or at least the one where they bought the IM company. And their focus on Tizen. And KNOX. )

Not sure what I think about Microsoft.

I tried to game theory it out a while back, but didn't really land on anything. If you considered that for all intents and purposes they have spun out BBM + hardware (where both have a huge potential), while EMM is what's funding the party, then the core focus / growth opportunity is on secure software (+ HaaS), aka a full stack network+software+services. If more and more markets are switching to a RTOS environment, then the above can be a very valuable mix for BB. That means that we're on the way out of the famous innovators gap / uncanny valley. Then somebody like Uber or Lyft might even be interested. If Lyft is, that would probably mean that Google bought BB.

Bah.. I start going in circles really quickly.
    Thanks for the insight! You're right. In that case we could add players like Qualcomm (supposedly showed interest back in 2013) when you refer to hardware-as-a-service? Also shows how many irons they have in the fire currently. But without having a real growth driver that funds their other initiatives (IP deals not included) or big pockets, it might not go fast enough for these initiatives to materialize. Now, if they could acquire someone like Twilio (secure messaging), that would change things.. but that kind of acquisition they can't afford..?

Posted via CB10
    08-07-17 05:33 PM
    I say, do a deal with Microsoft, each invest 2 billion in a joint initiative to merge/market/distribute their technologies in EMM/Secure messaging/UEM/Automotive.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-17 05:45 PM
    Thanks for the insight! You're right. In that case we could add players like Qualcomm (supposedly showed interest back in 2013) when you refer to hardware-as-a-service? Also shows how many irons they have in the fire currently. But without having a real growth driver that funds their other initiatives (IP deals not included) or big pockets, it might not go fast enough for these initiatives to materialize. Now, if they could acquire someone like Twilio (secure messaging), that would change things.. but that kind of acquisition they can't afford..?

Posted via CB10
    I guess JC has countered Twilio with the BBM SDK. (When I said that they had outsourced BBM, I only meant the consumer platform play, think BB's WeChat.)

I've been worried that JC would spread BB's resources too thin, and end up missing out on some huge opportunities. That said, to outsource hardware + consumer BBM has greatly alleviated my concerns.

Microsoft already has a EMM play, which they've bundled in the Windows 365 package. They've also made some deals with a Renault (or was it another car company?) to supply cloud intelligence.

In one sense, BB is back to being a B2B company. That might be an indication of who JC is aiming at.

I guess one perspective to come at this is to see if there is some major company that would fill a product offering that is missing in their lineup by acquiring BB, while either unlocking substantial synergies or create a 1+1=5 dynamic.
    08-07-17 06:50 PM
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...6/?service=amp
    Blackberry COO: Federal government expanding supported devices not the end of an era
    Marty Beard

This will spare you from giving the G&F any clicks...

LETTERS
    Blackberry COO: Federal government expanding supported devices not the end of an era

MARTY BEARD
    Special to The Globe and Mail
    Published Monday, Aug. 07, 2017 5:39PM EDT

Marty Beard is chief operating officer of BlackBerry Ltd.
    Re: Ottawa Opens Door to Samsung Smartphones, Marking an End to BlackBerry’s Reign
    (Report on Business, July 31).

As this newspaper reported, Shared Services Canada is expanding the devices it supports for secure mobile communications. Anyone reading the article can be forgiven if they came away believing that decision marks the “end of an era for BlackBerry.” That statement is false. Our relationship with SSC is growing, as it is with many organizations.

At BlackBerry, we are on a new journey and have been very open about our pivot from device-maker to provider of software to secure the connected enterprise and its growing end-points. We call this the Enterprise of Things.

SSC chose BlackBerry to secure multiple devices across many operating systems. Employees also use our secure messaging solution, BBM Enterprise, to share and discuss Protection B classified information.

We are a trusted partner for SSC, as we are for the rest of the Group of Seven because of our security and embedded expertise – developed over decades to meet the stringent requirements of organizations that deal in highly sensitive and classified data. This includes ensuring security and regulatory compliance, regardless of hardware.

Our work with the Canadian government is part of our mission to build a safer world by securely connecting people, devices, processes and systems. While that may not be breaking news, it is the truth.
    08-07-17 10:02 PM
    08-07-17 10:08 PM
    [QUOTE=FeitaInc;12983339]Could you post one of the letters you have sent?

[/QUOTE

They did land UPS, and if you go by what JC laid out, then the volume orders should come down the line.
    Really? When did they land UPS? I only read about a small division of FedEx

Posted via CB10
    08-07-17 10:40 PM
    [QUOTE=muhlan001;12983570]

Posted via CB10
    Then you need to read further. JC stated that this is the intro to the rest of FedEx. He expects to have all of FedEx on by the end of the year.

If it works out for FedEx, it blows the doors open for UPS, DHL and pretty much every other mass shipping company; ie Walmart, BestBuy USPS, Canada Post, China Mail, etc.
    rarsen likes this.
    08-08-17 12:10 AM
    [QUOTE=bspence87;12983611]

Then you need to read further. JC stated that this is the intro to the rest of FedEx. He expects to have all of FedEx on by the end of the year.

If it works out for FedEx, it blows the doors open for UPS, DHL and pretty much every other mass shipping company; ie Walmart, BestBuy USPS, Canada Post, China Mail, etc.
    So far they only have a small division of FedEx as a customer and as long as that is the case it will have no implication on any other large company in that sector. And regarding John Chen's expectations: after so much broken promises and lies by John Chen, I do not believe a word this guy is saying.

And to repeat my question: when did they get UPS as a customer? Just curious if I missed something
    techvisor likes this.
    08-08-17 12:48 AM
    [QUOTE=muhlan001;12983570]

Posted via CB10
    My bad. Meant FedEx.

But what about that letter?
    08-08-17 01:17 AM
    [QUOTE=FeitaInc;12983636]

My bad. Meant FedEx.

But what about that letter?
    Why are you interested in the letters?
    08-08-17 01:59 AM
    huh..? did you not read the questions I raised above?

as a general rule, and as a shareholder / investor, I'm always interested in reading relevant and worked through questions, as they may come at something from a different direction than I have. or change my mind about a given topic.

(Which is one of the reason why I've come to like this thread.)
    08-08-17 02:14 AM
    huh..? did you not read the questions I raised above?

as a general rule, and as a shareholder / investor, I'm always interested in reading relevant and worked through questions, as they may come at something from a different direction than I have. or change my mind about a given topic.

(Which is one of the reason why I've come to like this thread.)
    Fair enough, so I will post a summary of the questions from my letters later
    08-08-17 02:32 AM
113,250 ... 41174118411941204121 ...