View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    [QUOTE=_dimi_;12977539]

They're paying interest on debt that they don't need anymore; and they can't redeem the bond that they issued.

Posted via CB10
    They can redeem or rollover again, but why? Small leverage is good management.
    08-01-17 01:16 PM
    BlackBerry defends relationship with feds after Ottawa selects Android and iOS devices | Financial Post

Let's see if this gets as much play as the G&M's standard fare...

BlackBerry Ltd. went on the offensive to defend its relationship with the Government of Canada after Ottawa’s IT department said it will let employees dump their BlackBerry handsets for more modern mobile devices.

Shared Services Canada will gradually provide 43 federal departments with new smartphone options, including Samsung Android and iOS devices. Ottawa is opening up its formerly exclusive relationship with BlackBerry since the Waterloo, Ont. company no longer makes the handsets long favoured by governments and security-conscious organizations around the world.

BlackBerry stopped designing and manufacturing its own handsets last year after its global market share fell to almost 0 per cent. As it shifted to selling software, it has leaned heavily on its high-security reputation and frequently touts its relationships with governments as evidence of its leadership in the field.

BlackBerry insists that any implications that Ottawa’s move marks the end of an era “couldn’t be further from the truth,” spokeswoman Sarah McKinney said in an email late Monday after The Globe and Mail first reported the change.

“We have a long-standing relationship with Shared Services Canada and our work together continues to grow,” McKinney said.

The government will still use BlackBerry’s enterprise mobility management platform to manage all of its devices and BBM messaging to share and discuss Protection B classified information, McKinney said.

“Ultimately, this policy change is not the ‘end’ of anything for BlackBerry… we look forward to providing the Government of Canada and its people with the highest level of security well into the future.”

Shared Service Canada agreed it isn’t abandoning BlackBerry, but said it needed to expand its devices to include more modern models considering the BlackBerrys it currently offers have been discontinued.

“Customer departments will be able to choose the mobile device that best fits the needs of each employee, based on device functionality and cost, and will be responsible for purchasing these devices via SSC,” spokeswoman Frederica Dupuis said in a statement Tuesday.

Shared Services is working with lead security agencies to roll out the new devices, Dupuis said. Government employees will now get to choose from a small number of Samsung Android and iOS devices that meet strict security standards. BlackBerry devices will still be supported.
    rarsen likes this.
    08-01-17 01:32 PM
    Hi Dimi, I understand your frustration and the recent developments is testing my patience as well. It's unfortunate that every time we have good hope in the share price finally appreciating to a level we feel is fair, we get knocked right back down.

However if I may chime in, the 900 so million dollars recovered may not have been possible without Chen and his team's due diligence. It is definitely not something easy to accomplish.

Best of luck to all
    08-01-17 04:30 PM
    Now this is something worth reading! Thanks Mate!
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    08-01-17 07:07 PM
    Slick phone, but too bad I don't trust and like Android OS. Die hard Blackberry/BB10 fan!
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    08-01-17 07:13 PM
    https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/08/01/s...rnment-market/
    Samsung Canada COO speaks on joining BlackBerry in the government market

La Emperor, W Hoa, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    08-01-17 08:08 PM
    I have some catching up to do, rough week so far. Here is the 3-minute chart that shows us trying to pop out of the downtrend channel that formed back at the $ 10.38/shr and 50-dma high a couple of weeks ago:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-aug-02-2017.png

It's about 10 days old and I never thought that it would take this long to reverse that sell-off. I thought Monday might be down slightly due to the end of July book squaring but not nearly as much as it was. When the only news that you have had from the company in close to 2 months is that ER, its difficult for the stock to find buyers.

Here is AVAYA's attempt to call into question BlackBerry's patents:
    https://www.natlawreview.com/article...-august-1-2017

Seems they think BlackBerry is using patents that no longer are relevant to support their claims against AVAYA. That should drag a settlement out for months.

We tried to pop out of the 10 day correction at the opening and fell back into it, let's see if we can build some strength and get there this afternoon.
    rarsen, kellyweng88, Corbu and 8 others like this.
    08-02-17 09:41 AM
    What is an Inter Partes Review:
    https://www.uspto.gov/patents-applic...-partes-review

And on the subject of CBM proceedings:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covere..._method_patent

Thanks, Morgan.
    08-02-17 10:30 AM
    I would update the TD Bank buy back program for BB but there isn't one. I own more shares than TD Bank has purchased this week. Today, they are at just over 20,000 shares so you know that BlackBerry hasn't started their buyback program yet.

The big seller today, and they are most of the trade is CIBC dumping for someone. The good news is that we are forming a base, the stock is moving sideways as it always does to setup a breakout, The problem the last 2 weeks is that the move to the downtrend line always fails at the open the next day, or shortly thereafter. Lets see if BBRY can move towards the downtrend line and take another run at it here. One thing I know I'm getting a lot of outside work done.

I should also say that we are projected to close at $ 9.43/shr today so anything above that level is moving in a bullish manner. The 3-minute chart over the last 10 sessions has been deadly accurate so far but in a negative way so watch for some stabilization and a pop to come. As _dimi_ said, "how can we be below pre-cash QCOM inflow levels today"?
    08-02-17 11:37 AM
    Hi guys !
    Just to wave a hello, only reading these days as I'm drowning under work and no time to check the BB news besides ... here, my friends !
    I saw MOBL plunge ... still wondering if an acquisition isn't one of the proper options, let's tick this opponent ou of the Radar (tm - lol) and gain customers for the low price ...
    I hope you guys will have tremendous holidays in the next weeks,myself waiting for the end of the week ... eventually, therefore my 100% focus !
    Cheers all !
    SF
    rarsen, Corbu, morganplus8 and 5 others like this.
    08-02-17 01:33 PM
    08-02-17 03:10 PM
    Thanks Corbu! I believe this is worth a full post on this thread. Again thanks corbu for your work on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Professional journalists, including our friends at the Globe and Mail, almost universally share certain traits: they are dogged seekers of truth, can separate fact from opinion, and instinctively follow a good story wherever it leads. Also, almost none of them write their own headlines.

That job falls to an editor tasked with highlighting the story’s most clickable elements and turning them into traffic-inducing headlines that shape many more perceptions than the article’s substance can ever fully reach. It’s only Wednesday and this week has already delivered 3 headlines we find misleading and worth correcting even as the substance in 2 of those articles reflected positively on BlackBerry.

We have requested that each publication update their headlines with facts and remain hopeful they will. While we are waiting, we also felt compelled to use all the tools at our disposal to correct the record.

THE FUTURE OF BLACKBERRY: AN INTERVIEW WITH STEVE CISTULLI

CG Magazine

This first headline points to an ongoing challenge for BlackBerry as we pivot from device-maker to provider of software that secures enterprise communication and collaboration; between people and increasingly the growing universe of networked end-points that we collectively call the “Enterprise of Things”. We have been very open about the fact that BlackBerry no longer makes phones, though we have licensed our designs to select partners who continue to manufacture handsets that proudly display our brand and are secured with our software.
    The headline indicates the story is about the future of BlackBerry Ltd., while the article itself is a straightforward Q&A with an executive from one of our partners and well-focused on the handsets they manufacture, market, and sell.
    A far more accurate headline (and the difference is material, not subtle) might read:
    “The Future of BlackBerry Devices: An Interview with Steve Cistulli”
    Ottawa opens door to Samsung smartphones, marking an end to BlackBerry’s reign

The Globe and Mail

We took issue here with both the headline and body because they were driving a false narrative: The decision by the Canadian Federal government to support multiple devices and handset operating systems indicates that the end is near for BlackBerry. End of what?
    We no longer make phones, but that is old news.
    Our relationship with the government is actually growing. In fact, any sanctioned device a federal employee uses for government business will be running BlackBerry software to secure their communications channels.
    As we see it, BlackBerry is just getting started.
    We provided the reporter (and his competitors) with a written statement challenging this false narrative and asked that the story be updated with our comments.
    Following consultations with his editors, the decision was made to stand by the story as is, and that is their right.
    As is our right, we have submitted a letter to the editor that we expect The Globe to publish in the coming days, at which point we will update this post with the letter’s full text.
    BlackBerry defends relationship with feds after Ottawa selects Android and iOS devices

Financial Post

The final questionable headline leads a very favorable story that came following the distribution of our clarifying statement to the Globe. In this instance, the substance of the story is favorable for BlackBerry and quite effective in rebutting the original Globe story. However…the headline simply isn’t accurate. We certainly are being aggressive in countering the Globe’s narrative (this post being an obvious case in point), but the fact is that Shared Services Canada has not selected Android and iOS devices.
    Last edited by bbjdog; 08-02-17 at 05:18 PM.
    08-02-17 04:57 PM
    OT as among general information on TESLA car security, personnally hoping for confirmation of an eventual QNX participation:

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=rrnQV4bW
    08-02-17 05:26 PM

Video: Alex Thurber, senior VP-GM, Mobility solutions, BlackBerry

"... is only their [Optiemus] first phone, there will be many more phones to come, this is a long-term relationship..."
    Last edited by Corbu; 08-03-17 at 08:22 AM.
    08-03-17 07:52 AM
    Man!
    If M8 is right with BlackBerry not buying back yet, what does that mean? Do we slide even further here? If we are forming a base at these subterranean levels, that isn't reassuring either.
    Reminds me of landing dead on my keister while snow boarding; I formed a base there too.

I received an email this morning about how BlackBerry is extending leadership in enterprise management, Yadda-Yoo... When do we see a serious catch? We know they have the ability and who else has all these offerings!?

BlackBerry makes me imaging a neuro surgeon-rocket scientist-bio chemical engineer-jack of all trades, who ends up taking a janitor job due to over qualification (or something).

PS - BlackBerry! Can we buy some news here please?
    08-03-17 12:40 PM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Man!
    If M8 is right with BlackBerry not buying back yet, what does that mean? Do we slide even further here? If we are forming a base at these subterranean levels, that isn't reassuring either.
    Reminds me of landing dead on my keister while snow boarding; I formed a base there too.

I received an email this morning about how BlackBerry is extending leadership in enterprise management, Yadda-Yoo... When do we see a serious catch? We know they have the ability and who else has all these offerings!?

BlackBerry makes me imaging a neuro surgeon-rocket scientist-bio chemical engineer-jack of all trades, who ends up taking a janitor job due to over qualification (or something).

PS - BlackBerry! Can we buy some news here please?
    Last ER set this company back.. still quarters away... investors on the sidelines...no news... people looking for better places to invest their money....

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 08-03-17 at 03:10 PM.
    morganplus8 and Corbu like this.
    08-03-17 02:59 PM
    It's good to be recognized in life.

http://app.biz.blackberry.com/e/es?s...d=2753&elqat=1
    La Emperor, Corbu, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    08-03-17 05:25 PM
    John Chen told us months ago that he was talking with some European carmakers about a Ford like Tier 1 supplier deal. Since we heard nothing about that anymore I assume it was just another BS talk by John Chen?

What we really need in my opinion to propel the shareprice to 30$:
    - one or two deals with main car markers like the Ford deal
    - two or more big RADAR clients like UPS, DHL or a big container shipping line
    - a glance at the future plans for BBM: IPO, license revenues

Posted via CB10
    08-04-17 01:16 AM
    https://www.thelawyersdaily.ca/artic...ed-or-resigned
    Class action against BlackBerry to decide whether employees were fired or resigned

08-04-17 10:51 AM
    https://www.thelawyersdaily.ca/artic...ed-or-resigned
    Class action against BlackBerry to decide whether employees were fired or resigned
    Another action by John Chen that was completely unnecessary and only undermined employee morale even further. The bad press is the icing on the cake. Stupid, really stupid

Posted via CB10
    08-04-17 12:10 PM
    This will be worth watching, more for the legal rather than monetary context, as it will have repercussions far beyond BlackBerry. Hearing date isn't until April 18 next year. By that time BlackBerry will have been nothing but months of good news. We hope.
    Corbu, La Emperor, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    08-04-17 12:25 PM
    Another action by John Chen that was completely unnecessary and only undermined employee morale even further. The bad press is the icing on the cake. Stupid, really stupid

Posted via CB10
    We haven't heard any judgement here have we? Are you the judge? or just frustrated like most people. I am not saying what he did was right or wrong, but lets wait and see before we make unnecessary comments.

The only thing that is making me stand firm and keeping invested is that the institutional ownership continues to climb and now over %63 despite of all the shenanigans, missteps ( others claim ) and some cheezy sloppy blogs from Seeking Alpha. Coupled that with shorts continuing to dwindle down, this will be a perfect scenario for a Chen home run.

Peace!
    Corbu, W Hoa, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    08-04-17 12:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    I got the message! Your anti-Chen.
    08-04-17 02:27 PM
    We haven't heard any judgement here have we? Are you the judge? or just frustrated like most people. I am not saying what he did was right or wrong, but lets wait and see before we make unnecessary comments.

The only thing that is making me stand firm and keeping invested is that the institutional ownership continues to climb and now over %63 despite of all the shenanigans, missteps ( others claim ) and some cheezy sloppy blogs from Seeking Alpha. Coupled that with shorts continuing to dwindle down, this will be a perfect scenario for a Chen home run.

Peace!
    Should have read your post before responding. Well said!

Cheers!
    La Emperor, Corbu, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    08-04-17 02:30 PM
    I don't get what's going on. SP is equivalent to the old 6.80. Chen said two ERs ago to wait for September. If he's got good news coming at the Sept ER why is he not buying up stock at these levels given the amount he set aside for buybacks. I think he must be working on a big acquisition and doesn't want to spend the cash in the buybacks. But with markets at all time highs the acquisition is overvalued. I think Volvo will be one of the Euro autos moving to QNX auto. Honda should make a move there too.... They have a better infotainment system launching with the 2018 accord I think but not sure what it runs on. Definitely need Walmart and UPS to publically announce they are on Radar and the rest will follow. For now, the SP sucks but I will buy 2019 Jan calls soon.
    La Emperor likes this.
    08-04-17 04:17 PM
113,256 ... 41154116411741184119 ...