View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Toyota just gave AGL its first big break.
    Just? If I'm not mistaken, Toyota announced they'd be going with Linux last year. (And I guess that would explain the uptick in the marketing BB pushed out on proprietary vs open, certified vs non-certified some time back. As far as I can tell the only new thing is that they've dropped the model name.

here's a link:
    https://www.google.no/amp/s/www.forb...and-apple/amp/

Anyway, let's hope Toyota did a poor job implementing AGL and makes it look like MS Windows CE for Auto (or whatever system was used by Ford for it's Sync platform.) That would give BBRY\QNX more time to get deeper into automakers entire ecosystem and technology stack.
    Microsoft tried beating QNX for however long, but failed and were dropped by Ford. i guess the pace of development is increasing, but as long as BB sticks to what they're good at they have as good a chance as any to maintain their market position. And in all fairness, BB getting the entire market was never going to happen. They just need to secure the right share of the market.
    06-01-17 03:25 PM
    Thanks for the links!

I did not know that Audi MMI was based on QNX; that is one slick interface and one that all car manufacturers should strive to emulate.

Tough loss with Toyota but we don't even know how many vehicles actually had QNX right? From my experiences with a couple newish Toyotas, their interfaces were adequate at best.
    I think the VW/Audi/Porsche/Lamborghini system is awesome. Huge win for the QNX camp there.

The Tesla system is also excellent now, and they're making excellent progress on assist. So score one for owning the stack.
    06-01-17 04:41 PM
    Just? If I'm not mistaken, Toyota announced they'd be going with Linux last year.
    "Just" as in shipping product trumps vaporware. We will soon get to see AGL in action and how Toyota implemented it.

Microsoft tried beating QNX for however long, but failed and were dropped by Ford. i guess the pace of development is increasing, but as long as BB sticks to what they're good at they have as good a chance as any to maintain their market position. And in all fairness, BB getting the entire market was never going to happen. They just need to secure the right share of the market.
    Ballmer's Microsoft clearly failed. Had it been Nadella's Microsoft, it might not have. Linux seems to have won most of its battles, except control of the desktop. If AGL turns out to be "good enough" and free, it'll eat a lot of QNX's business. "Good enough" has won over "superior" many, many times, in all industries and in general, life. Add "Free" and it makes "good enough" even better. Doesn't matter that there's really a cost elsewhere.

Hope JC can make more QNX announcements and wins soon. The clock's ticking.

PS. Just for the record, if BBRY is ultimately acquired by someone, I hope the automotive consortium that bought HERE buys QNX and spins the rest of BBRY off. Until then, GO BBRY GO!
    kadakn01 likes this.
    06-01-17 04:50 PM
    Hey, thanks, I appreciate you posting these articles.

I found this statement interesting:
    "QNX seems to be easy mode, as it worked out spectacularly for every car manufacturer that used it. Android is "medium" difficulty, in that it takes an experienced hand and up-to-date software to create a good experience. Linux is in hardcore permadeath mode, where you are really on your own and have to build a ton of stuff to make it work well with touch. GM was not ready for hardcore mode. "

I'm sure Lada thought they were in the car game with GM, Chrysler, Ferrari etc., "because they make cars too" so I guess Linux is competing for something that QNX is involved with, if you believe Lada was truly competing with Rolls Royce.

GM tried to work with Linux and failed miserably and Toyota has the lowest satisfaction rating among Entune customers on the planet, so they need to do something. I think "fast and secure" is still the way to go for most consumers/manufacturers alike, I like everything that Linux stands for, but after 30 years of being marginalized by Microsoft, you have to believe they've done it again with infotainment. Even Alison Chaike stated in her presentation that Linux does not have security, and, she is part of the group spending billions to bring it forward. QNX really isn't completing here. Thanks
    La Emperor, Corbu, W Hoa and 4 others like this.
    06-01-17 05:32 PM
    Look at it fly! Spot on M8+!
    Let's be clear about this, I didn't call this rally, I stated that on a TA basis we were out of danger now and ready for a rally back to new highs, nothing like this though! I saw us working our way back to $ 11.00/shr and then mounting a new rally in the weeks ahead. We managed to clear some major hurdles today and this is a chart that I made last night and didn't publish. It forecasts $ 12.00/shr soon but in no way did I call this pike today.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-june-1-2017.png

So no credit for today's move gang. Wonderful volume too, well over 100,000,000 shares above $ 11.00 now and only 20,000,000 just below $ 11.00/shr, we are building a firm base here.
    06-01-17 05:41 PM
    "Just" as in shipping product trumps vaporware. We will soon get to see AGL in action and how Toyota implemented it.
    Amen to shipping product over vaporware.

I'm not in a panic over the fact that QNX has competitors. We all have competitors.

BlackBerry lost the smartphone market and a massive amount of their valuation in large part because of their self-defeating, and ultimately totally unfounded, belief in their own superiority. I think Chen is smart enough to not let them make that same mistake in cars.

But to be clear, QNX has the pole here. There is no doubt in my mind about that. The prudent thing is to be aware of risks to that position. Any of us could come up with a list of 50 big companies that dominated their industry until one day someone knocked them off. It happens all the time in every business in the history of businesses.
    06-01-17 07:52 PM
    Toyota just gave AGL its first big break. We'll have to see how well it does compared to QNX.

I think BBRY\QNX's problem over the past few years was that it was working with auto makers via the auto makers' Tier1 OEM suppliers, rather than directly. So although QNX supplied all the tools and frameworks, they couldn't push all their Tesla-like capabilities. The Ford deal hopefully changes that for them.

QNX may hold its own against AGL if auto makers or regulators demand auto makers to certify their code. Dan Dodge used to say that QNX could certify their code while it's competitors couldn't.

Anyway, let's hope Toyota did a poor job implementing AGL and makes it look like MS Windows CE for Auto (or whatever system was used by Ford for it's Sync platform.) That would give BBRY\QNX more time to get deeper into automakers entire ecosystem and technology stack.
    Just think about the costs saved on OTA updates for the security patches for a QNX system vs. AGL system? I would think..

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    06-01-17 07:55 PM
    While blackberry stock is going up and down. I just purchased the new 🔑 1 just letting the gang know, it was worth the wait what a treat this phone is. any one who has used Bold 🎹 keyboard, would enjoy this phone in my opinion.
    Take a look at the 2 treasures I got. I have bought 14 BlackBerrys so far but Bold was not one of them. After setting KEYone up and starting using it today, the keyboard is such a joy to type on and even much better than Passport. I can understand now why keyboard is such a gem!
    Again I still believe BlackBerry phone license business itself is going to be a hit and that business is still valued as zero.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-132168.jpg  
    Corbu, morganplus8, sidhuk and 6 others like this.
    06-01-17 07:58 PM
    Regarding QNX, here is a some perspective from BBRY,
    Auto OEM's have been doing work on Linux and Android in infotainment for a number of years, as there are perceived benefits. However, Safety certifications are needed for other parts of the vehicle , like the digital instrument cluster or ADAS, or to use a hyper visor where the processor runs both infotainment and other modules. QNX is well positioned to participate in these areas inside the vehicle.
    FWIW, I believe the profitable areas is where QNX is focused on.
    Last edited by kadakn01; 06-02-17 at 11:37 AM.
    06-01-17 08:43 PM
    Take a look at the 2 treasures I got. I have bought 14 BlackBerrys so far but Bold was not one of them. After setting KEYone up and starting using it today, the keyboard is such a joy to type on and even much better than Passport. I can understand now why keyboard is such a gem!
    Again I still believe BlackBerry phone license business itself is going to be a hit and that business is still valued as zero.
    I can only concur. It's by far the best BB I've ever owned, and most people I show it to like it.

Personally I can only applaud JCs move in partnering with TCL. Can't wait for some comments / insights from him on the revenue / profits contribution on the next earnings call.
    06-02-17 04:27 AM
    I cannot take my eyes off this stock today. The trading is crazy, we are managing to do in one day what it takes to accomplish in 4 - 5 days. Yesterday we had a massive rally to the top of the Bollinger Bands, stopped there and set ourselves up for a correction today. Now, we touched the uptrend line from the $ 10.46/shr lows and are setting ourselves up for a rally next week to new multi year highs. Here is the chart for the last three days, the impressive trading shows up much better on the 3-minute chart but that one is impossible to post!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-ice_screenshot_20170602-133325.png

Note that a close near $ 11.20/shr sets us up for another major run here. We aren't overbought at these levels and the trading is so controlled all day. How you could be short or wanting to sell now is beyond me. Beautiful work on the part of the bulls.

I can't seem to get rid of the second chart.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-june-1-2017.png  
    06-02-17 12:41 PM
    Regarding QNX, here is a some perspective from BBRY,
    Auto OEM's have been doing work on Linux and Android in infotainment for a number of years, as there are perceived benefits. However, Safety certifications are needed for other parts of the vehicle , like the digital instrument cluster or ADAS, or to use a hyper visor where the processor runs both infotainment and other modules. QNX is well positioned to participate in these areas inside the vehicle.
    FWIW, I believe the profitable areas is where QNX is focused on.
    My fear is that Tesla and Toyota prove Linux and AGL are perfectly fine and certifications aren't needed. If so, certification becomes meaningless. It'll be like cellphones and US DoD MDM/MAM/EMM certifications all over again.

Keep in mind which party is in charge of the US government right now. "Certifications? We don't need no certifications!" if the Obama DoD didn't seem to care about BlackBerry security level achievements and went Android/iOS instead of token amounts of BB10 BlackBerry, I don't think AGL or custom Linux will suffer from lack of certification under the current Republican led US government.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    06-02-17 12:44 PM
    My fear is that Tesla and Toyota prove Linux and AGL are perfectly fine and certifications aren't needed. If so, certification becomes meaningless. It'll be like cellphones and US DoD MDM/MAM/EMM certifications all over again.

Keep in mind which party is in charge of the US government right now. "Certifications? We don't need no certifications!" if the Obama DoD didn't seem to care about BlackBerry security level achievements and went Android/iOS instead of token amounts of BB10 BlackBerry, I don't think AGL or custom Linux will suffer from lack of certification under the current Republican led US government.

Posted via CB10

I think your fear is based upon a scenario where we've already seen the worst when it comes to security flaws.. while we should be thinking that the worst outbreak is yet to come (remember IoT, everything with an IP address connected) and the stakes will become increasingly higher (not 'just' data, but actual lives in the balance). Every year we hear about vehicles being recalled due to safety issues so, imho, this aspect of the car industry will not change. Especially in the US where everyone's affraid of getting sued?!

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, La Emperor and rarsen like this.
    06-02-17 01:18 PM
    DoD have signed deals with Blackberry for its services. To claim they did not isn't right. DoD still cares about security. Also, phones aren't the same as a car. A car will need security. vehicles can be used as a weapon. Very dangerous indeed.
    06-03-17 08:43 AM
    It seems they are holding the AGM on June 21st... earnings release on June 23rd?

https://global.blackberry.com/conten...e/mic-2017.pdf

Posted via CB10
    06-03-17 03:31 PM
    06-03-17 05:41 PM
    I guess they make some good observations, but it would've looked better if they hadn't written "Blackberry" throughout the note.
    ... Many folks (aparently including Mr. Chen) are still battling with that one.
    To me, a 'BlackBerry' is simply an epic little handheld communication device.
    Research in Motion, on the other hand, is nebulous enough to mean just about anything; which is where BlackBerry is today.

A name change back to RIM has been discussed before, but maybe it's high time that CrackBerry Kevin et al. have a poll to see what people's current sentiments are. I would be smashing the "Si Señor" button el rapido.

Safe weekend fellas!
    06-03-17 07:58 PM
    ... Many folks (aparently including Mr. Chen) are still battling with that one.
    To me, a 'BlackBerry' is simply an epic little handheld communication device.
    Research in Motion, on the other hand, is nebulous enough to mean just about anything; which is where BlackBerry is today.

A name change back to RIM has been discussed before, but maybe it's high time that CrackBerry Kevin et al. have a poll to see what people's current sentiments are. I would be smashing the "Si Señor" button el rapido.
    this is probably stating the obvious, but BlackBerry is a strong and world wide recognisable brand, much unlike RIM. Historically, the former has been inextricably linked to both handsets and security (in that order), while the latter most often / always required explaining (something like "RIM, the maker of BB handsets").

For the past year BB have started to center the story around security, while downplaying the handset part. in the short run this is bound to create some confusion, but I think that confusion is a small price to pay compared to the cost and risk of building up another brand to the level that BB is at. The brand is having a resurgence, so why you wouldn't want to ride that wave for different product offerings seems a bit strange to me.

I guess you could argue that BB is falling into the "line extension" trap, by widening the "scope of the brand". The alternative would be to leverage the BB brand to build up one or more new sub-brands. to some degree this is what they are doing to QNX, but I don't see them stop saying "BlackBerry QNX".

JC has talked about creating a BB version of the "Intel inside"-campaign with a slogan like "Secured by BlackBerry". if that strategy ever is launched and is widely adopted, you could find that slogan on everything from cars to fridges to whatever.

although this probably isn't clear from reading the above, I think they should keep the course they have set and not go back to being called RIM or change it to QNX.
    alludba, Corbu and rarsen like this.
    06-04-17 04:13 AM
    The IDC website mentions that they plan to publish 2 reports before the end of June:

1. Worldwide Enterprise Mobility Management Software Market Forecast 2017-2021*
    2. Worldwide Enterprise Mobility Management Software Market Shares, 2016

Could be a catalyst for BBRY?

http://www.idc.com/search/planned/pe...pgT=10&page=18

Posted via CB10
    06-04-17 08:01 AM
    The IDC website mentions that they plan to publish 2 reports before the end of June:

1. Worldwide Enterprise Mobility Management Software Market Forecast 2017-2021*
    2. Worldwide Enterprise Mobility Management Software Market Shares, 2016

Could be a catalyst for BBRY?
    Also this upcoming report from IDC which could prove interesting:

Worldwide Automotive In-Vehicle Infotainment System and Microprocessor Forecast, 2016-2021

CY2017 Q2 | Market Forecast | Status: Planned
    06-04-17 09:24 AM
    Weekend reading for those seeking some Trend Numbers:

2017 Internet Trends — Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers

Among the Fun Facts, which I'm sure will increasingly need reputable Security Protection:
    - Businesses are spending almost as much on private and public clouds as they are on traditional data centers.
    - Internet advertising will surpass TV ad spending within six months.
    - Facebook's ad business is growing at a much faster rate -- 62 percent year-over-year in 2016 compared to Alphabet's 20 percent growth over the same period.
    - Shipments of smartphones grew just 3 percent year-over-year in 2016 versus 10 percent year-over-year in 2015.
    - About 46 percent of the world's population is connected to Internet.
    - Wearables are contributing to the rise of consumer health data, with 25 percent of Americans owning a wearable device, up 12 percent from 2016.
    - Online retail sales in the US increased 15 percent from 2015 to 2016.

Note: See Health Care starting on page 288
    Last edited by rarsen; 06-04-17 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added Health Care info.
    06-04-17 10:07 AM
    Pulled the trigger. Would have got this sooner, but was waiting for unlocked version.
    Since they are non-existent in Canada, I went to Bell and bought it outright.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-105598.jpg  
    06-04-17 02:22 PM
    Pulled the trigger. Would have got this sooner, but was waiting for unlocked version.
    Since they are non-existent in Canada, I went to Bell and bought it outright.
    I picked mine up on Friday. Nice phone. Still trying to get proficient on the keyboard. A few more days oughta do it.
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    06-04-17 03:19 PM
    I picked mine up on Friday. Nice phone. Still trying to get proficient on the keyboard. A few more days oughta do it.
    Yeah, just started setting it up
    I liked the way the passports had the 4th virtual row, I know the alt and uppercase button is tripping me up right now

But it does feel like a nice solid device.

Just syncing all my emails now, that will break the processor in, then complete the fresh install.

Stock price $12 tomorrow!
    06-04-17 03:38 PM
    Yeah, just started setting it up
    I liked the way the passports had the 4th virtual row, I know the alt and uppercase button is tripping me up right now
    yeah.. I miss the fourth row. it came in really handy with Norwegian characters.

oddly enough I also miss opening and closing the screen on the PRIV as well, but then I look at the remaining battery at the end of the day and forget all about it.
    06-04-17 04:01 PM
113,256 ... 40854086408740884089 ...