View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Not quite that big of an upgrade. Just 1GB more of ram with dual Sim.

And only sold in India because of the Optiemus licensing deal.

Posted via CB10
    I would love that phone. When I travel to India I take two phones, my passport I leave the Telus SIM in and the Z30 gets a local SIM.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    05-30-17 04:04 PM
    I would love to know who these lawyers are that do not use BlackBerry phones, because I don't trust their communication system. Lol
    Last edited by bbjdog; 05-30-17 at 07:57 PM.
    05-30-17 06:57 PM
    Time for a refresher! Because I'm a little confused!

https://www.benzinga.com/analyst-rat...itives-from-he
    Corbu and Mr BBRY like this.
    05-30-17 08:54 PM
    I would love to know who these lawyers are that do not use BlackBerry phones, because I don't trust their communication system. Lol
    They're lawyers. 'Nuff said.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, Mr BBRY and Bacon Munchers like this.
    05-30-17 10:19 PM
    For those interested in Security knowing who among the bad guys are out there and wasn't it the Intel CEO who once said: "Only the paranoid will survive".

Cybercrime and cyberwar: A spotter's guide to the groups that are out to get you | ZDNet
    "Most internet crime is motivated by a desire for profit -- stealing banking credentials or intellectual property, or via extortion for example. But as online crime has grown it has also evolved -- or mutated -- into a set of occasionally overlapping groups that pose distinct threats to organisations of different sizes. What's certain is that, as the internet becomes even more essential to our day-to-day lives, the potential for cyber criminals to make money will only increase."
    05-31-17 06:29 AM
    Well, pretty much instant sell out of K1 in the U.S. Amazon and Best Buy had them early yesterday and now they don't. They aren't selling the CDMA version, but there was a link initially for it on Amazon. But it was a pre-order link.

We don't know how many are selling, but I think we can safely say that TCL is selling everything they can make.

On the share price front, I wonder if market has picked up that BBRY is going to pursue patent violators for damages. There might be some cash to be made there. And at least BBRY isn't a patent troll.
    05-31-17 06:39 AM
    I was on amazon at 12:01 am (et) and I saw it on preorder still. I thought to myself "I'll just buy this tomorrow morning it'll be there".

Of course that did not turn out to be true. Now gotta wait until it's back in stock again.

Also, yikes. Haven't checked the stock price for a few days and was disappointed to see where's trading at now. Quite the pull back. At least its no longer over-bought
    alludba likes this.
    05-31-17 08:35 AM
    Well, pretty much instant sell out of K1 in the U.S. Amazon and Best Buy had them early yesterday and now they don't. They aren't selling the CDMA version, but there was a link initially for it on Amazon. But it was a pre-order link.

We don't know how many are selling, but I think we can safely say that TCL is selling everything they can make.
    Lack of US carrier support, lack of adequate day one inventory, reported lack of follow up emails to announce sales availability to people who signed up for notifications on BlackBerry Mobile's website are all disturbing news.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-31-17 09:39 AM
    From the Passport to the KEYone: Five reasons the QWERTY keyboard is the killer feature | ZDNet
    "The real eye-opener for me, in regards to the QWERTY keyboard, was what else you can do with the keyboard to significantly increase your productivity and efficiency with a smartphone."
    05-31-17 09:45 AM
    Say, I found what I consider to be the best bb10 app for stocks in BlackBerry World. I have been tinkering with it and find the GUI really unique and snappy. For anyone who doesn't already have it:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/55016894

Here's to watching our stock claw it's way up the backs of the Wallstreet mafia....
    05-31-17 10:20 AM
    Thought I would take a moment to comment on the stock. Here is the chart that I have been following this week:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-may-31-2017-b.png

If you look to the left, we found support a few days ago at the $ 10.50/shr level. We are finding support today at that level. It is the last day of the quarter for Funds to lock in profits and so we are at battle trying to find enough buyers at this level to satisfy the last minute sales. This could end this afternoon. So far, we try to pop outside the well defined downtrend channel and get driven right back into it. We eat up a ton of stock and try again, to turn the stock around. This will continue until the books are closed and then we'll see a nice rally. We should get back to $ 11.00/shr in June and await John Chen. It is nothing short of incredible that we can do battle at these levels now. GL
    05-31-17 11:16 AM
    ^^thanks for the update Morgan. We really appreciate it!

I really hope John Chen has some good news this upcoming ER. I would love to see slight growth in revenue.
    05-31-17 01:12 PM
    ^^thanks for the update Morgan. We really appreciate it!

I really hope John Chen has some good news this upcoming ER. I would love to see slight growth in revenue.
    Just for that, I'll post my end of the day chart!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-may-31b-2017-b.png

Everything went according to plan, right at 2:00 PM we hit our low on that cycle, the selling then stopped and we rallied into the close with strong bids. This sets us up for tomorrow, a new Quarter, we just need to have a higher low tomorrow (and a positive close would be nice!), then, we are off to the races having completed a typical 10% correction. I personally like this investment a whole lot more after it has gone through a correction, now a 30% gain makes more sense. GL
    05-31-17 04:12 PM
    TCL's president confirms extremely high demand for BlackBerry KEYone on launch day

According to Steve Cistulli, President and GM of TCL Communication North America, May 31 was an excellent day for the launch of BlackBerry KEYone, as the smartphone has been met with warm reception by customers in the region.

Moreover, TCL's official confirmed that it now faces issues with stocks as many clients who pre-ordered the BlackBerry KEYone won't be getting it for a while. The same goes for those who are trying to purchase the smartphone on launch day.

Demand has been extremely high, and it’s encouraging to see this level of excitement and momentum around our BlackBerry smartphone launch. We understand customers are facing issues with stock outs when trying to purchase their KEYone.

However, TCL is now working with all retailers selling the BlackBerry KEYone to replenish stocks as soon as possible in both markets.

TCL's president confirms extremely high demand for BlackBerry KEYone on launch day
    05-31-17 04:17 PM
    IMHO, the immediate threat to QNX wasn't Android Auto, or Apple CarPlay. It was Automotive Grade Linux and GENIVI. Toyota is the first auto maker to run AGL which is an OS like QNX.

Toyota's latest infotainment system is powered by Linux
    The 2018 Camry will give buyers a new option to Android Auto and Carplay.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/31/...e-linux-camry/

More info on GENIVI and Automotive Grade Linux:
    https://opensource.com/business/16/5...n-steven-crumb

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    05-31-17 04:31 PM
    IMHO, the immediate threat to QNX wasn't Android Auto, or Apple CarPlay. It was Automotive Grade Linux and GENIVI. Toyota is the first auto maker to run AGL which is an OS like QNX.

Toyota's latest infotainment system is powered by Linux
    The 2018 Camry will give buyers a new option to Android Auto and Carplay.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/31/...e-linux-camry/

More info on GENIVI and Automotive Grade Linux:
    https://opensource.com/business/16/5...n-steven-crumb

Posted via CB10
    I don't see any competition here unless you are referring to something BB might look toward in the future, like vertical integration themselves. QNX provides root security for platforms like AGL, they don't compete at QNX's level. AGL allows middleware to run including Linux open source. That's all I see here, they compliment each other.

Alison Chaiken eluded to Linux based security issues in her 2016 .pdf, and, to the effect that QNX and Jeep, (which at the time, ... and incorrectly I might add), was our first high profile vehicle (hacked) security issue, It was NOT related to QNX as John Chen pointed out. She should have corrected her own mistake but she elected to let it go. It might be helpful for John Chen to talk about this AGL/QNX relationship just from the point of ending the confusion here.

Perhaps someone who knows more about this stuff can help us out here?

From the business insider:
    But Blackberry does have two advantages over its current and mounting competition: speed and security.

Blackberry's QNX Neutrino RTOS is an operating system that powers time-sensitive tasks, like driver assistance systems. Unlike Linux and Microsoft, QNX is able to handle these tasks in milliseconds, something that will become increasingly important as self-driving cars have to make quick decisions on the best course of action.

Bird said that the QNX Neutrino operating system is a "significant" reason why Blackberry has had an edge over competitors already.

Additionally, Blackberry QNX has an advantage when it comes to security.

"One of the big benefits that we’re getting from Blackberry is all about security expertise, security software, intellectual property. And that’s what we’re bringing into automotive," Courville said.

QNX is ISO 26262 compliant, which is an international standard for safety for electronics systems in automobiles. Bird said Windows is not compliant with the standard, nor are most Linux distributions. Having an operating system that can run self-driving software securely will only become more important as autonomous cars are prone to hacking.
    Last edited by morganplus8; 05-31-17 at 06:12 PM.
    05-31-17 05:42 PM
    Can't recall seing anything on this year's Security Summit yet.

Two venues, this year: London (October 24, 2017) and NYC (November 14-15, 2017)
    https://us.blackberry.com/enterprise...ecurity-summit
    05-31-17 06:31 PM
    Informative and well laid out:
    05-31-17 06:33 PM
    I'm gonna jump in here and say thanks to Morgan (and others, of course) in helping many of un-edumacated ( in stocks, of course) stock holders get a handle on the volatility of our BlackBerry stock.

I'm a longtime BlackBerry user, and a SH for the last 4 years, and find myself checking the SP daily, trying to make sense of the ups and downs.

Without you guys, guys like me would be lost.

Thanks much!

Posted via CB10
    05-31-17 06:50 PM
    Hi M+8 (and gang),

I've been lurking in the background, absorbing all I can. Glad to hear and see us all having a good recovery.

I pulled this from WIKIPEDIA, because I didn't even know what AGL was. (My Formating)

Automotive Grade Linux (AGL) is an open source project hosted by The Linux Foundation that is building an open operating system and framework for automotive applications.
    [1] AGL was launched in 2012 with founding members including Jaguar Land Rover, Nissan, Toyota, DENSO Corporation, Fujitsu, HARMAN, NVIDIA, Renesas, Samsung and Texas Instruments (TI).

History[edit]

On June 30, 2014, AGL announced their first release, which was based on Tizen IVI and was primarily for demo applications.
    [2]AGL expanded the first reference platform with the Unified Code Base (UCB) distribution[3]. The first UCB release, nicknamed Agile Albacore, was released in January 2016 and leverages software components from AGL, Tizen and GENIVI Alliance.
    UCB 2.0, nicknamed Brilliant Blowfish, was made available in July 2016 and included new features like rear seat display, video playback, audio routing and application framework.[4]
    UCB 3.0, or Charming Chinook[5]was released in January 2017.
    AGL plans to support additional use cases such as instrument clusters and telematics systems.

Which I think backs up the argument that AGL is middleware.

Tizen is/was/might be Samsung's path out from under Android and letting part of its code be used in AGL gives them (and Genivi) lots of leverage on it.
    UCB 3.0 was released in January giving Toyota 4 months to produce this infotainment release but all it means is that AGL will be a competitor for Apple & Google for the in-car infotainment side. (And there will be a market for smaller players because not everyone will want their cars connected to their phones or vise versa.)

The last line sums it up with AGL planning to 'support' vehicle functions, at a latter date. If it works out Samsung might get their own ecosystem but that still won't be secured down to the ground.

assuming Wikipedia is right, we all know a little more about AGL or at least we are all on the same page.

GL Gang, a tip of the hat to M+8, and Happy Tuesday to All.
    morganplus8, Corbu, CDM76 and 3 others like this.
    05-31-17 07:34 PM
    AGL does not require QNX or any other base OS. It IS the OS (in the full stack sense of that word). It is not middleware.

And yes, AGL absolutely aspires to be a competitor to QNX. Others like us with similar embedded requirements are following their progress closely. If they are successful, they are an interesting model for ATMs and payment gateways and other applications.

Of course QNX still dominates the market. Having said that, it will be interesting to follow what Toyota does here. Tesla is a notable manufacturer who uses their own Linux stack (not AGL) instead of QNX. Toyota is a lot bigger than Tesla.

The Wikipedia page on AGL is a mess. Their actual site has much better info and useful links from there.

https://www.automotivelinux.org/
    05-31-17 07:52 PM
    Let's compare Linux to Windows OS instead if QNX.
    05-31-17 08:22 PM
    Sorry gang, I forgot my swiss cheese picture!
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-depositphotos_8774339-cheese-background-seamless-vector-illustration.jpg
    Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    05-31-17 08:43 PM
    Hi M+8 (and gang),

I've been lurking in the background, absorbing all I can. Glad to hear and see us all having a good recovery.

I pulled this from WIKIPEDIA, because I didn't even know what AGL was. (My Formating)

Automotive Grade Linux (AGL) is an open source project hosted by The Linux Foundation that is building an open operating system and framework for automotive applications.
    [1] AGL was launched in 2012 with founding members including Jaguar Land Rover, Nissan, Toyota, DENSO Corporation, Fujitsu, HARMAN, NVIDIA, Renesas, Samsung and Texas Instruments (TI).

History[edit]

On June 30, 2014, AGL announced their first release, which was based on Tizen IVI and was primarily for demo applications.
    [2]AGL expanded the first reference platform with the Unified Code Base (UCB) distribution[3]. The first UCB release, nicknamed Agile Albacore, was released in January 2016 and leverages software components from AGL, Tizen and GENIVI Alliance.
    UCB 2.0, nicknamed Brilliant Blowfish, was made available in July 2016 and included new features like rear seat display, video playback, audio routing and application framework.[4]
    UCB 3.0, or Charming Chinook[5]was released in January 2017.
    AGL plans to support additional use cases such as instrument clusters and telematics systems.

Which I think backs up the argument that AGL is middleware.

Tizen is/was/might be Samsung's path out from under Android and letting part of its code be used in AGL gives them (and Genivi) lots of leverage on it.
    UCB 3.0 was released in January giving Toyota 4 months to produce this infotainment release but all it means is that AGL will be a competitor for Apple & Google for the in-car infotainment side. (And there will be a market for smaller players because not everyone will want their cars connected to their phones or vise versa.)

The last line sums it up with AGL planning to 'support' vehicle functions, at a latter date. If it works out Samsung might get their own ecosystem but that still won't be secured down to the ground.

assuming Wikipedia is right, we all know a little more about AGL or at least we are all on the same page.

GL Gang, a tip of the hat to M+8, and Happy Tuesday to All.
    Thanks Stormie

How is open source ever considered safe? Isn't that the most unsafe type of code?
    05-31-17 10:36 PM

How is open source ever considered safe? Isn't that the most unsafe type of code?
    Remember that the source code for QNX Neutrino was itself open at one point. In fact, many of the components that make up the QNX stack and tools are open source or dual licensked in one way or another.

When the Neutrino RTOS (the crown jewel) was open, that did not make it less secure. Back then you or I or anyone could download the source code to the kernel and tools and read exactly how it all worked. More info on that here: QNX Publishes Neutrino Source Code and Opens Development Process

More info on open source components in the current QNX offerings here: Open Source License Agreements
    06-01-17 12:33 AM
113,256 ... 40834084408540864087 ...