View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT: is anyone trading on TSX? The option to sell or buy "all or none" is no longer available for me..
    Anyone know how to get around it.

Thank you in advance
    05-23-17 10:36 AM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    05-23-17 11:02 AM
    I wanted to post the chart that I'm using today:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-may-23-2017.png

Once again, we are going through another one of those corrective phases in trading. We have lower highs and higher lows and we are projected to close around $ 11.22/shr by 4:00 PM. Of course we could rally, take out the down slopping line and race higher at any moment. We have been doing this type of trading for weeks now so the stock is in good hands. Let's see how it plays out today.

To read this chart, notice that yesterday we broke down on our rally at 3:30 PM but still managed to take one more kick at the rally. It tried again this morning but as it always does, it failed under profit-taking. We are now filling in a pennant formation for the next leg up from here.
    05-23-17 12:36 PM
    Love the green days on Bbry.

From my TD alerts.

Ot:
    Sophiris Bio Up 3% - Gets Regulatory OK for Diluent So Can Begin Dosing in Phase 2b Study for Prostate Cancer
    2017-05-23 04:08:00 PM ET (MT Newswires)

04:08 PM EDT, 05/23/2017 (MT Newswires) -- Sophiris Bio (SPHS) added 3% after the company said it received the regulatory clearance for the diluent - the medium in which topsalysin is diluted. Clinical sites can now begin dosing eligible patients in a Phase 2b study in localized prostate cancer, it said.

Price: 2.55, Change: +0.07, Percent Change: +2.82
    05-23-17 03:15 PM
    Here is my updated chart at the end of the day's trading:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-may-23b-2017.png

Note: I moved the lower line down a penny to reflect the true trading range. We absorbed stock all day, cleaned everything out and went for a run. We broke out of the pennant and created a nice upward sloping channel and even tried to make a hyper move outside of it for an even bigger rally. In the end, the stock was knocked back inside the uptrend and bullish to start tomorrow. So the result for this week is over 46 MM shares traded at these high levels. There is far more open interest in options too. The stock is trading like the pros have it completely under their control right now. There is little resistance above us just over-bought signals that we can work off.

PS. Darn that SPHS, I cancelled all of my BBRY sell orders now that this stock is up tonight! Didn't anyone tell these AH investors that trials cost a company money (bad) ............ darn it all.
    05-23-17 03:32 PM
    Morgan, I just hope your wife has Bbry and Sphs in her portfolio, because I'm betting on her to win. Lol
    05-23-17 04:06 PM
    05-23-17 04:35 PM
    Speculations

From my TD alerts

BlackBerry jumped 8.8 percent to C$15.27 as investors raised expectations that the technology company's cyber security and automotive software sectors will post strong growth, an analyst said.
    05-23-17 04:44 PM
    Morgan, I just hope your wife has Bbry and Sphs in her portfolio, because I'm betting on her to win. Lol
    Ha! Ha! She hates BBRY, she owns mostly SPHS in her account and mine is all BBRY. She won't sell SPHS so I have to try and make big gains in other investments to pull ahead of her and then roll everything into SPHS to make certain she doesn't blow the whole thing wide open. She has no idea how much I have made on BBRY so she is in for a BIG surprise! Take care.
    Last edited by morganplus8; 05-23-17 at 05:05 PM.
    Greened, 2vince6, rarsen and 9 others like this.
    05-23-17 04:52 PM
    @morgan good to see you back and hopefully it won't be long until you are back to normal
    And many thanks for everything you have posted on here. (I have learned a lot from you)
    05-23-17 05:03 PM
    Is BlackBerry the comeback kid? A 65% surge this year suggests investors are warming up to John Chen’s turnaround strategyComeback kid? A 65% surge this year suggests investors are warming up to BlackBerry’s turnaround strategy
    Thanks, W Hoa! Nice find.

Worth posting in extenso, FTR, IMO.

Comeback kid? A 65% surge this year suggests investors are warming up to BlackBerry’s turnaround strategy

Emily Jackson | May 23, 2017 7:05 PM ET

BlackBerry Ltd.’s comeback streak continued this week on the stock market, indicating investors have finally dialled into the former smartphone titan’s shift to software with a focus on security and the automotive industry.

Sentiment from investors and analysts alike hovered around lukewarm as BlackBerry underwent a three-year transition from a mobile phone producer – it officially gave up on designing its own last fall — to a software company with a variety of offerings targeted at enterprises that value its reputation for security.

But investors appear to be warming up to the strategy, especially over the last two months when a series of stock surges pushed BlackBerry’s shares up more than 65 per cent since the beginning of the year.

The latest of four stock price spikes hit the Toronto Stock Exchange on Tuesday (it occurred on the Nasdaq Stock Market on Monday, a holiday in Canada) in response to Ford Motor Co.’s Friday announcement about improvements to its in-car system, which is based on BlackBerry’s QNX software.

Ford, which recently hired about 400 BlackBerry engineers, announced the ability to update its Sync 3 systems over Wi-Fi instead of having to visit a dealership or download and install with a USB key. QNX software is used to power such systems in more than 60 million vehicles worldwide.

“BlackBerry is well positioned at the epicenter of this transformation,” CCS Insight analyst Nicholas McQuire said.

BlackBerry’s shares rose nearly 9 per cent to $15.27 on the TSX on Tuesday, hitting its highest price in more than four years. It jumped more than 9 per cent to US$11.32 in the U.S. on Monday – the highest since July 2014 – before dipping two cents Tuesday.

The stock started its upward trajectory in late March with an 11 per cent surge when BlackBerry reported quarterly results that beat Bay Street’s expectations. The next bump came mid-April when it won US$815 million in a binding arbitration in a dispute with Qualcomm over royalty payments.

“This chunk of change from Qualcomm has really changed investor sentiment on BlackBerry,” said Canaccord Genuity analyst Michael Walkley.

The third jump came last week when Macquarie Group’s Gus Papageorgioua, a long-time BlackBerry analyst, predicted its stock could quadruple by 2020 on the strength of its software for the trucking and automotive industries.

A heightened focus on cyber security hasn’t hurt either. This month’s global “ransomware” attack, dubbed WannaCry, raised awareness of BlackBerry’s security software business, said CCS Insight’s McQuire.

BlackBerry didn’t miss the chance to use WannaCry as a sales opportunity. In a blog post explaining the ransomware attack, BlackBerry pitched its services and proffered tips to protect organizations.

“BlackBerry’s unparalleled cybersecurity expertise can help your business recover from ransomware attacks and more importantly prevent them in the future,” it stated last week, adding that it now offers a “ransomware readiness assessment” to determine how ready a business is to withstand such an attack.

BlackBerry does not reveal how much revenue it earns from specific software products, instead lumping them together in one segment that CEO John Chen believes will grow at a faster rate than the overall market in the upcoming fiscal year.

But investors seeking clues around growth for specific divisions that analysts are particularly bullish on such as Radar, a trailer tracking service for the trucking industry, might get more information in June. Chen announced plans to shake up the reporting structure to reflect BlackBerry’s new status as a software company.

It is scheduled to report its next round of financial results on June 23.
    05-23-17 07:22 PM
    05-23-17 07:36 PM
    They lost me at, "since day one, Android has been built with security in mind."
    05-23-17 09:51 PM
    Morgan get well, ASAP.
    There might be only a few quarters until you have to jump in a plane for our $100 party.
    Oh, yes, this is something that is now ... hey ... possible

P.S: as per usual, thanks guys for the bunch of valuable info here !
    05-24-17 08:11 AM
    For those with Security concerns:

Samsung Galaxy S8 facial recognition is a security flaw - Business Insider
    A few weeks ago, in fact, someone was able to fool the S8's facial recognition with a photo of themselves. (Samsung says it has since updated the S8's software to add more security, and I wasn't able to trick my review unit with a photo of myself.)
    Corbu, morganplus8, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    05-24-17 09:11 AM
    In case you are wondering why we sold off:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-may-24-2017.png

We made a double top at the opening ( $ 11.39/shr) this morning and that's a sell signal. We sold off from there in a very systematic way, down to $ 11.01 and now we are about to reverse and cover. As you can see, anything above $ 11.07/shr and we are likely to bounce. The volume was light on the sell-off indicating that this was purely a TA reaction to the double top. Not to worry unless a large sell order tries to take it below our recent low of $ 11.01/shr. GL
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, W Hoa and 5 others like this.
    05-24-17 11:50 AM
    So here we are one hour later:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-may-24b-2017.png

The box is the area of neutrality where the bulls and the bears are fighting it out. Once we climb above the $ 11.07/shr mark, we are likely to rally close to $ 11.20/shr for the day but what is more important, we are trading just like the other rallies where we pause to refresh and then race ahead. We just need to get above $ 11.07/shr, stay out of this box, then the bears know they aren't strong enough, and, we can go higher. Do note, we also put in a double bottom on this sell-off at $ 11.01/shr which is of course, bullish!!

One other point, that downtrend that we just busted through starts at $ 11.39/shr so it is a big, important reversal if it sticks.
    05-24-17 01:00 PM
    Thanks Morgan for all the updates

Posted via CB10
    05-24-17 01:20 PM
    FWIW:
    CFRA Reiterates Buy Opinion on Shares of BlackBerry

We raise our 12-month target by $3 to $13, on price-to-sales above peers to reflect an improved financial position, higher margin profile and better business prospects. We keep our FY 18 operating EPS estimate at $0.12 and FY 19 at $0.17. We are optimistic about opportunities in enterprise mobility management, secure messaging and QNX and note its more recurring sales exposure. We see shares supported by net cash per share over $3 after BBRY's favorable arbitration ruling in April, with the potential for it to be more acquisitive in cyber security and automotive software.

A. Zino - CFA
    05-24-17 01:32 PM
    05-24-17 03:17 PM
    Thanks dimi and Morgan.

Out of "thanks" or "likes" or whatever they are called...
    _dimi_, La Emperor, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    05-24-17 03:30 PM
    Slight drop in the SI:
    BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) Short Interest - NASDAQ.com

45.2M shares
    kadakn01, sidhuk, Greened and 5 others like this.
    05-24-17 04:05 PM
    I just heard that BlackBerry has virtually sold all of its inventory of bb10 and their Android devices.

It was in regards to employee purchase program and how the current program will be ending and possibly a new one will start with the BlackBerry mobile devices, but no details yet.

So, good to hear bb basically has no liabilities on the hardware side no.

Morgan, thanks for your great stock analysis as usual, and I'm sending some good vibes your way to get that swelling down. Get healthy soon!
    HaberNik, rarsen, Greened and 6 others like this.
    05-24-17 06:03 PM
    05-25-17 09:44 AM
    Potential payoff is a long ways off, but in case you're interested in following the proceedings with Avaya, they're appearing in bankruptcy court today to find out if the bid for their networking business will be okay'd.

Avaya Bankruptcy: Hearing on Reorganization Plan Delayed - Post - No Jitter

They were supposed to present their reorganization plan today as well, but were given a delay to June.

Hopefully this bid from Extreme provides enough cash for BlackBerry to get paid.
    05-25-17 09:54 AM
113,250 ... 40804081408240834084 ...