View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT: Acad

Hey M8 or our option gurus, I was hoping to get your advice on options if u don't mind. I want to get rid of my ACAD common stock position, I have 1500 cause it's tieing up a lot of capital but I believe this company will be bought out by years end and don't want to miss the boat so I want to just buy options so I don't need to have so much capital invested into common stock. Should I just buy 15 calls for Jan 18, 2018? I was looking at the 35 strike price Or would I need some sort of spread....sry I'm pretty new to options and not sure what strike to buy it at.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ps. Still forever waiting on sphs news as well
    Hi Slipstream89 !!

I just have a moment, I would be looking to sell the stock on strength to it's 50-dma or at least, $ 35.00/shr and wait to buy the calls at the 200-dma. You have the right series for the calls but there isn't much action in either the calls or the stock. The stock is inside its Bollinger Bands having tried to breakout today and failed on the first attempt. I don't watch it daily so I don't know how likely you are to catch it popping outside the BB's or to the 50-dma. That's how I would handle it, sell into resistance at a higher level and buy calls on weakness.

As for SPHS, it is a straight forward investment, we have to wait until they deliver results on the Phase 2B study due some time in the early Fall. That's gives me some time to buy more of that investment in the months ahead.

BBRY - holding up very well, formed a pennant formation today on the 3-minute chart and should resolve that in the hours ahead. At the moment, there are some blocks coming in for sale, we'll see if they clear them out here. We seem to get a head fake and then they clean out the shares.
    Corbu, rarsen, Greened and 2 others like this.
    05-01-17 11:53 AM
    JC on CNBC

Blackberry CEO on the pulse of the US consumer and economy

Blackberry CEO on the pulse of the US consumer and economy
    Blackberry CEO John Chen speaks with CNBC's Brian Sullivan about where he thinks the U.S. economy is heading.
    Blackberry CEO on transition to security-focused software company

Blackberry CEO on transition to security-focused software...
    Blackberry CEO John Chen speaks with CNBC's Brian Sullivan about the company's transition from a hardware company to an enterprise software company.
    05-01-17 02:05 PM
    Very OT but for those BB minds known interested in all types of expanded new vehicle technologies and safety:

https://www.ted.com/talks/elon_musk_...5-01#t-1179099
    05-01-17 05:22 PM
    Any thoughts out there that BlackBerry CEO Chen will use some of that additional $1billion QCOM cash for a share buyback?... 50 m shares would be very nice lol..... next reporting period should be most interesting!

... Cash position could be further boosted by IP wins (BLU , Avaya) in the queue atm....

Posted via CB10
    When there's hard pressure on the sp, yes I believe he will.
    Greened likes this.
    05-01-17 06:35 PM
    05-01-17 06:59 PM
    Hi guys,
    trying hard to set my order before the SP rockets again.
    Doing this, I noticed that BBRY was also present on the Swiss and German places.
    So, as of now ....
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture2.png

And wondering a couple of things :

1/ Both places are open, with obviously different trends : what could be the reason ? Currency ?
    2/ For an European, what would be the best bet : US/CAN/SW/DE ?
    3/ Is there any interest playing the mix as for balancing currency exchange rates ?

P.S: of course, for my 500's none of the above is pertinent; I'll go for the lowest trading fees first.

Have a great day Gang !
    SF

EDIT : noted too that TSX was in the green (+0.08%) while Nasdaq was red (-0.16%) yesterday, so that may explain Swiss/German offset implicitly (one based on NSDQ the other on TSX).
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-02-17 at 03:40 AM.
    Corbu likes this.
    05-02-17 02:25 AM
    Hi guys,
    trying hard to set my order before the SP rockets again.
    Doing this, I noticed that BBRY was also present on the Swiss and German places.
    So, as of now ....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	993 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	422318
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	994 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	422319

And wondering a couple of things :

1/ Both places are open, with obviously different trends : what could be the reason ? Currency ?
    2/ For an European, what would be the best bet : US/CAN/SW/DE ?
    3/ Is there any interest playing the mix as for balancing currency exchange rates ?

P.S: of course, for my 500's none of the above is pertinent; I'll go for the lowest trading fees first.

Have a great day Gang !
    SF

EDIT : noted too that TSX was in the green (+0.08%) while Nasdaq was red (-0.16%) yesterday, so that may explain Swiss/German offset implicitly (one based on NSDQ the other on TSX).
    I think the NASDAQ controls the share price and then the price is converted based on current exchange rates to the other currencies it trades on

So, it really doesn't matter which one you buy on since USA dictates the price

For me, I am Canadian, whether I buying USA or Canadian, it has no impact.

However the best impact I have gotten was when I made my one big initial purchase, that I still have, it was when the USD and CAN$ where close to par, now the USD is around a 30% premium (haven't checked lately), so, only because I bought when I did, am I actually ahead of the game, due to the weak Canadian dollar.

For me, a weak Canadian dollar is better for my farming business too, except equipment purchases, but tourism gets the benefit of Canadians staying in the country and Americans coming to visit Canada and enjoyore buying power

So, in my opinion, it really doesn't matter what index you buy from, USA is the price boss.
    05-02-17 05:58 AM
    05-02-17 09:05 AM
    Well, turns out to be a bad, bad idea I had.
    Again, don't ask me why, but seems I cannot buy anywhere but on TSX.
    Long story short, I'm in for 400 shares again ... and that crazy fee.

Morality : when you don't know; play simple. (mama used to say : "best is the enemy of good").
    Will report TCO when I have it.
    Corbu, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    05-02-17 09:59 AM

Morality : when you don't know; play simple. (mama used to say : "best is the enemy of good").
    Sorry to hear that you have those crazy charges. I would like to think those days are over. It might be time to look at a different brokerage firm .

It is also a good time to buy the stock:The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-ice_screenshot_20170502-110428.jpg

We are going through the same process we went through last week, we formed a pennant, broke down from that, dropped slightly, moved down from there the next day and set ourselves up for a reversal for the balance of the week. We are now seeing great bids all morning, always much larger than the asks. I think we made our low here and we can move sideways for a few hours and close unchanged. This sets us up for a rally. I set my lower channel line this morning and we slipped below it very briefly before plenty of bids came in. Let's see if this line holds and we move into the upper portion of the channel soon. GL
    05-02-17 10:10 AM

Those 400 reentry cost me €3511.89 (i.e €8.78 /sh) so I'm in the red for €0.46 per share.
    Stupid me.

Thanks Morgan, I also thought this was ancient times ...
    As for the broker, my close-to-null amounts and transaction won't worth the recurring fees; that's what it is ... not designed for Joes like me
    morganplus8 and Corbu like this.
    05-02-17 11:28 AM
    Those 400 reentry cost me €3511.89 (i.e €8.78 /sh) so I'm in the red for €0.46 per share.
    Stupid me.

Thanks Morgan, I also thought this was ancient times ...
    As for the broker, my close-to-null amounts and transaction won't worth the recurring fees; that's what it is ... not designed for Joes like me
    Here in British Columbia, I am with TD Waterhouse, who charges a flat rate of $10 per trade. Since I have been holding since 2013, I am pondering what the trade would be worth if I unload today. Based on what you and Farmwersteve mentioned, I am somewhat puzzled. I tried calling TD and asked them to help me with the math. They said that they couldn't say for certain what the sale increase would amount to.
    Perhaps I just got a rookie on the line when I called(?)

PS - I paid 14.98 .TO in around March 2013.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-02-17 12:56 PM
    Sorry I might have been unclear. The fee is approx 0.20% but there's a minimum. That's where I got caught.
    05-02-17 01:08 PM
    Sorry I might have been unclear. The fee is approx 0.20% but there's a minimum. That's where I got caught.
    Please excuse me if I'm wrong here but wouldn't this be tons cheaper for you?
    https://www.degiro.fr/

I would think there are many other choices available for you.

I have a language problem (minimal French) so I might not understand how they work. I'll keep looking.

Update: http://www.selectabroker.com/France/
    Superfly_FR and Corbu like this.
    05-02-17 02:21 PM
    Thank you Morgan, will review this.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    05-02-17 03:31 PM
    Twilio down 30% on weak guidance...

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    05-02-17 04:26 PM
    Twilio down 30% on weak guidance...

Posted via CB10
    When they ipo'd, the CEO said they were good for cash. When a few short months later they did a big raise, I stopped watching as something seemed fishy. Not surprised at today's drop as they're just one of those overpriced, no money making tech cos that are suckling up capital.
    05-02-17 04:46 PM
    When they ipo'd, the CEO said they were good for cash. When a few short months later they did a big raise, I stopped watching as something seemed fishy. Not surprised at today's drop as they're just one of those overpriced, no money making tech cos that are suckling up capital.
    "On the earnings call, CEO Jeff Lawson addressed the unexpected guidance by explaining that Uber, one of Twilio’s largest customers, will be reducing its use of Twilio over the next year. This is a major hit for the company because Uber accounted for 12 percent of its revenue in this quarter. Twilio expects this number to fall off over the next year as Uber moves to*handle more of its communication infrastructure in house."

Actually, I recently read a VERY long interview with JC a few months before Sybase got acquired. ( Source: http://www.itworld.com/article/27584...urnaround.html )

It carefully explains all of the businesses Sybase was involved in, and although I'm no techie, I believe Twilio is really more of a next-gen Sybase. I'd really appreciate it if some of you could let me know if that is actually the case? If I remember correctly, Sybase mostly provided SMS traffic to its customers, while Twilio is offering messaging, voice and video "over IP".

Just saying, if that is the case, it could very well be that JC with all of his experience in the field, and with the BBM enterprise SDK of course, is already making a dent!?

Posted via CB10
    05-02-17 05:04 PM
    Edit: it seems Sybase core business was more the analytics offering for communications (e.g. for SMS, MMS)... still, it makes me very curious as to why clients like Uber, even Whatsapp are paying Twilio, while the BBM SDK could actually be the better/cheaper option?

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-WhatsAp...year-to-Twilio

You'd think BlackBerry would get a piece of the pie over time, just because companies of this size want exposure to various big providers rather than to a small firm like Twilio?

Posted via CB10
    05-02-17 05:26 PM
    Edit: it seems Sybase core business was more the analytics offering for communications (e.g. for SMS, MMS)... still, it makes me very curious as to why clients like Uber, even Whatsapp are paying Twilio, while the BBM SDK could actually be the better/cheaper option?

You'd think BlackBerry would get a piece of the pie over time, just because companies of this size want exposure to various big providers rather than to a small firm like Twilio?

Posted via CB10
    Optics. Those contracts were all signed when the future of BlackBerry was very uncertain and most betting on outright failure.
    05-02-17 05:30 PM
    Ascent buys former BlackBerry data centre in Cambridge

CAMBRIDGE — BlackBerry has sold a sprawling data centre in Cambridge to a U.S. company that provides cloud computing services.

Ascent
    paid $74.5 million for 66 acres of land with a building containing 350,000 square feet of space on 17 Vondrau Dr., according to information from the RealTrack database, a subscription service that publishes commercial real estate transactions.Ascent also paid US$30 million for a BlackBerry data centre in Georgia. Both transactions closed Feb 24.

[...]

The transaction for the data centre, known as TOR1, is a leaseback deal so BlackBerry will continue to use the centre. But there is a lot of room to expand and accommodate new customers, said Horstmann.

[...]

BlackBerry has sold all of its data centres to lower costs and gain efficiencies, Sarah McKinney, of the Waterloo-based company's corporate communications, said in an email. It continues to lease space in the data centres, she said.
    05-02-17 06:43 PM
    USA:

Yesterday:
    Trump signs executive order to modernize U.S. government info tech | Reuters

Coming soon:
    Overnight Cybersecurity: Anticipation builds for Trump cyber order | House panel refers Clinton IT contractor for prosecution | Pentagon warned Flynn about foreign payments | TheHill

THE BIG STORY:

IS THE LONG WAIT OVER?:

The cybersecurity community is once again cautiously optimistic President Trump will soon sign an executive order outlining new initiatives on cyber. As of Thursday, there were rumors the signing could come as soon as Friday. For cyber watchers it's been a long wait. The first draft of a potential cybersecurity executive order was leaked exactly one week into Trump administration. The first rumored signing date then came and passed without an executive order on January 31, Since then, many other dates have been rumored and other drafts circulated. There was even an official signing ceremony canceled at the last minute, hours after press were briefed about what the new executive order would have included. All in all, followers have expected the order to be signed in January, twice in February and once in March.

...WAITING IS TOUGH, BUT EXPERTS WHO HAVE SEEN DRAFTS ARE ENCOURAGED: Different drafts have had different initiatives, but a vast majority of those who've seen drafts are impressed - and those who have seen more than one draft seem to think there has been consistent improvement. Trump has taken an uncharacteristically deliberative approach to the cybersecurity executive order, according to one source, even using Rudy Giuliani to solicit opinions from industry.

...SO WHAT IS IN IT, IN THE END?
    Past drafts of the executive order have ordered broad agency by agency reviews of security practices, placed responsibility for cybersecurity on agency heads, required agencies to comply with the National Institute for Standards and Technology cybersecurity framework, made it U.S. policy to modernize information technology and encouraged cyber workforce expansion. The signed order could contain any of those initiatives and more.

...AND WHY WILL IT MATTER, NO MATTER WHAT IS IN IT?

At a conference hosted by the wireless advocacy group CTIA, House Homeland Security Chair Michael McCaul (R-Texas) said the exec order might lead to congressional action on updating antiquated technology and the reintroduction of Rep. Will Hurd's (R-Texas) bill to fund that initiative. "I think what you're going to see - and I don't want to get ahead of the White House - my sense is you're going to see an IT modernization act," he said. Yesterday, in an interview with The Hill, Rep. John Ratcliffe (R-Texas) made similar comments about waiting on the order before moving forward on certain legislation. Though both agreed that getting it right was more important than getting it signed fast, whatever is in the executive order will be a building block for many ambitious legislative moves.
    05-02-17 07:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    Great article;
    "You have to have something that you are uniquely qualified to do. I always ask the question -- what is our right to be a company? That's a good question, right? I mean, I don't care if you're selling ice cream. You know, what do you actually do so that people will sustain you? You need to have some capability and know-how that's unique to you, especially in technology markets. That's number one. And we kind of lost one generation."

John Chen has made BlackBerry into a Security company - Security is what they offer. This is a new BlackBerry!
    alludba, rarsen and Mr BBRY like this.
    05-02-17 09:14 PM
    Optics. Those contracts were all signed when the future of BlackBerry was very uncertain and most betting on outright failure.
    Plus the BBM SDK wasn't available or even announced until this year.

Actually is it even available for production use yet? Who is using it today?
    05-02-17 10:40 PM
    Plus the BBM SDK wasn't available or even announced until this year.

Actually is it even available for production use yet? Who is using it today?
    Seems to be in beta testing with official partners right now: Developers: The BBM Enterprise SDK Is Now Live! | Inside BlackBerry

General availability, mid-2017: https://community.blackberry.com/gro...rise-sdk-group
    05-03-17 02:27 AM
113,256 ... 40704071407240734074 ...