View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Hi Andy_bb_king. You are right and your post just led me to go back and double-check to see if I had missed anything. Turns out I did. Apologies. Here is what our enlightened friend came up with...

Thanks Corbu! That $7 is disgusting! It is not funny anymore.
    04-27-17 10:08 PM
    Thanks Corbu! That $7 is disgusting! It is not funny anymore.
    You are welcome. My thoughts exactly.
    04-27-17 10:10 PM
    Law360, Wilmington (April 26, 2017, 7:05 PM EDT) -- Common stockholders of California software firm Good Technology Corp. argued Wednesday in Delaware state court to have the shareholders certified as a class of litigants seeking damages from a 2015 merger with BlackBerry Ltd.

During the hearing in Wilmington, shareholder attorney Joel Friedlander of Friedlander & Gorris PA told the court that the claims of the proposed class are direct and not derivative because they challenge the process leading up to the approval of the BlackBerrry deal by the company’s board of directors, most of whom were appointed by venture capital firms that held preferred stock in the company.

Those preferred stock holders were seeking a big payday and previously ignored an offer that was nearly double the $425 million offered by BlackBerry in the approved merger.

“We’re not saying they was an alternative available" when they approved the BlackBerry deal, Friedlander told Vice Chancellor J. Travis Laster. “But they put themselves in that position on that day.”

Friedlander attacked the process that led to the merger, pointing to possible fraud by financial adviser JP Morgan, which he accused of withholding an opinion on an initial public offering in March to the point the IPO was delayed and ultimately canceled. Good Technology had already rebuffed an $825 million offer for the company in hopes of completing the IPO and bringing in as much as $1.2 billion.

Patrick Gibbs of Cooley LLP, representing Good’s directors, said the suit originally challenged the transaction itself but has since been amended to challenge the process leading to the merger and the failed IPO.

“Plaintiffs have backed away from the actual decision to approve the merger,” Gibbs said. “So now we’re talking about things that happened long before that decision.”

The claims for breach of loyalty by Good’s directors is derivative, Gibbs argued, and is based on the hindsight of the suing shareholders who say the board should have taken the $825 million offer in March 2015 instead of pursuing the IPO.

“Given the directors’ belief an IPO could lead to an overall valuation significantly higher than the sale options, I’m having trouble seeing a breach of loyalty,” Gibbs said. “It’s clearly a derivative claim.”

He said that Good had the $825 million offer in March, but was focused on pursuing the IPO in hopes of realizing as much as $1.2 billion in investments. The process was stalled in March and when the company’s first-quarter earnings came out April 1, the IPO was pushed back a couple of months.

“The plan remained ‘Let’s go public,’” Gibbs said. “They were just going to do it in June.”

When Good’s main competitor missed its earnings mark later that month and sustained a massive stock decrease, the hopes of an IPO evaporated and Good switched its focus to the sale options. It ultimately approved the $425 million deal with BlackBerry in the fall of 2015.

Briefing on the motion for class certification veered wildly into the realm of a summary judgment motion according to both attorneys, and the argument touched on the merits of some of the claims included in the complaint. The issue of certification issue focused on the nature of the claims and the adequacy of the class representatives, which include some of the venture capital firms that held common stock.

Gibbs said that named plaintiff Brian Bogosian, who served as Good’s CEO until 2010, is not a suitable class representative because of his animosity toward his former company and its directors. Gibbs argued that Bogosian was a large part of the reason why the IPO was initially delayed because he allegedly refused to sign a lockup agreement where he would pledge not to sell his stock in the months following the stock offering.

“He’s a key part of the events at issue in this case,” Gibbs said.

Friedlander countered that Bogosian is just one of the named plaintiffs in the case and that the others pursuing the litigation have significant common stock holdings in Good Technology and would prosecute the case vigorously.

“We have a whole group of large stockholder plaintiffs who are not intimately involved,” he said.

Vice Chancellor Laster said he would take the matter under advisement and issue a ruling at a later date.

The proposed class is represented by Joel Friedlander, Jeffrey M. Gorris and Christopher P. Quinn of Friedlander & Gorris PA and Randall J. Barron, A. Rick Atwood and Esther Lee of Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP.

Good Technology’s directors are represented by Peter J. Walsh Jr., Arthur L. Dent and Frank R. Martin of Potter Anderson & Corroon LLP and Patrick Gibbs, Samantha Kirby, Sarah M. Lightdale, Lauren G. Lee and Nicholas Flath of Cooley LLP.

JP Morgan Securities LLC is represented by Edward B. Micheletti, Alyssa S. O’Connell, Sarah R. Martin, Lauren N. Rosenello and Bonnie W. David of Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom LLP.

The preferred stockholders are represented by William M. Lafferty, Ryan D. Stottman and Alexandra M. Cumings of Morris Nichols Arsht & Tunnell LLP.

The case is In re: Good Technology Corp. Stockholder Litigation, case number CA-11580, in Delaware Chancery Court.
    Mr BBRY, Corbu, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    04-28-17 02:43 AM
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...ion_24hr_test/
    Well, hot-diggity-damn, BlackBerry's KEYone is smartphone of the year
    Much, much more than a nostalgia trip
    Andrew Orlowski
    After 24 hours with the KEYone as a main phone, I'll stick my neck out and say this is one of the best phones of the year, one deserving of any professional's attention, not just a nostalgia trip. It's a genuine five-star product, and eighteen months into BlackBerry's Android adventure, it's finally got it right: rarely have I had a first day with a device with so few niggles. Google should deliver a huge crate of beer to TCL and BlackBerry for making Android interesting again, in a sea of generic rectangles.
    04-28-17 08:24 AM
    04-28-17 08:28 AM
    Hi Morgan, IIRC you planned on moving the trading funds into SPHS once it hits $9.50, has that price target changed at all? Thank you
    We are over-bought with BBRY right now so the trip to $ 9.50 plus will take some time. I'll watch how we are doing and roll out of some BBRY into SPHS somewhere between $ 9.50 and $ 10.00 plus, it depends on how we handle the over-bought moments like today. So far, we are doing extremely well at managing these moments.

I should say the reason for selling some BBRY is to balance my holding in SPHS in just one account. I have a bet with my wife that my account will be worth more than hers in 2-years time and I'm worried that I hold so much BBRY in that account and far less SPHS compared to her; that she'll win the bet. So for me, I'm rebalancing my holdings to match her account more, not because I need/want to sell BBRY. Hope that makes sense? As far as my long term holdings in BBRY, they are at record levels and they aren't for sale until Prem Watsa says so. GL
    rarsen, sidhuk, kadakn01 and 4 others like this.
    04-28-17 10:04 AM
    We are over-bought with BBRY right now so the trip to $ 9.50 plus will take some time. I'll watch how we are doing and roll out of some BBRY into SPHS somewhere between $ 9.50 and $ 10.00 plus, it depends on how we handle the over-bought moments like today. So far, we are doing extremely well at managing these moments.

I should say the reason for selling some BBRY is to balance my holding in SPHS in just one account. I have a bet with my wife that my account will be worth more than hers in 2-years time and I'm worried that I hold so much BBRY in that account and far less SPHS compared to her; that she'll win the bet. So for me, I'm rebalancing my holdings to match her account more, not because I need/want to sell BBRY. Hope that makes sense? As far as my long term holdings in BBRY, they are at record levels and they aren't for sale until Prem Watsa says so. GL
    Yeah totally understood. Good luck to your bet
    04-28-17 10:14 AM
    Hi guys !
    Ok, so I have to play it with my tools, witch are far from good ...
    As the green arrived, I could consider reimburse some crazy (fares) loans I had to contract in these days ... you know ...
    Short : I decided to sell half of my position, aka 500 shares (just stop laughing !)

But I'm playing both the TSX (I'm BB.to) VS NASDAQ perf AND the $CAN/USD/EUR exchange rates PLUS the bank fees that are extraordinary expensive on the TSX (don't ask me why).

lol, at first I thought I'd be smart and started to make crazy calculations ... and then I realized they were plain stupid as I cannot sell and buy at the same time (guess what : no treasury).

I just noticed the SP was down .55% on TSX while .70% on NasDaq so I thought this could offset a bit the US/CAN currency exchange rate ( down 0.19% I guess). I pressed the button.

You have to consider my fees for selling on TSX have a minimum of €100 (gimme a gun) ...
    So I believe it was the proper time to sell all my BB.to (instead of only 500) and then buy back 500 BBRY (fares : €28 !) ... as soon as the funds will be released (oh my, that's not before may 2nd) on my bank account. On NASDAQ, not only the fares are cheaper, but I can instant trade on my bank website (can't on TSX); chances are I will buy/sell more in the future and won't be over penalized by extravaganza fares.
    [What I try to explain here is that selling 5000 or 1K shares has the same fee (€100) so the remaining 500 were "free of charge"]

That's probably the single time you'll read me betting a (tiny is fine !) bad performance next week, given anyhow, as we count in tens of €, this won't change the face of the world. I just felt there might be some kind of breathing (profit taking) and a small halt in the rocketing

You may wonder why I put this here (I probably dit it wrong ...) but I keep thinking to those who don't know the game (like me) and leave some footprints so that they may have the reflex to consider these parameters in case they'll want to sell such tiny amounts.
    Some kind of OP reminder :
    Be careful about fees/taxes you may have to pay for each transaction: they can ruin your gains easily.
    Let's see how it goes ... FTR I was green 4.24% / AVG €8.22 when I pressed the button ... will report as a user case later how it turned out

GL to all !

EDIT : and by the time I wrote this, SP went up, stronger on NASDAQ than TSX ... lol, I should just press the button and stop thinking

RE-EDIT : EST. net sales (1000 shares) : € 8322.01 in the "white" zone (avail. May 2nd)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-28-17 at 12:00 PM.
    04-28-17 11:43 AM
    That guy needs to find a new occupation, he shouldn't have looked at the Canadian chart to begin with. Our currency has moved from par to $ 1.36/CDN versus the US. How can you chart something with a variable like that?

Here is my latest 3-minute chart on BBRY showing what happened at the close yesterday and why we are up today:Attachment 421951

In the final 45 minutes yesterday, we broke down slightly, the problem was, there was zero volume on the breakdown so it was deemed a false breakdown. We then closed hard into the last minute as the bulls sensed that today would bring us a much better TA. Sure enough, this morning we gapped up nicely, dropped back to the downtrend line and formed a double-bottom on it and off we went. The next challenge was to take out $ 9.24/shr which wasn't a problem because there is no stock for sale now. We have been climbing toward new 52 week highs because there is little stock for sale. The coverage of bids/asks is heavily in the favour of the bulls but they are taking their time to take out all offerings at each penny level. You can see that the rally is controlled and super positive.

So by looking at the correct chart, free of currency issues, you can see how we are going to take out the $ 9.44/shr US Dec/2016 high and go for the 2-year high. The stock is crazy bullish right now and to be short is just plain stupid. Every minute that goes by, shorts risk hearing from John Chen again, that's stupid investing.

Let's work toward $ 9.33/shr today while cleaning out all of the stock along the way.
    I must admit that your post Morgan are some of the most effective I've ever read at driving home the following point that Ray Dalio made once:

DALIO: "I want to just convey to investors, I think in the average investor, most everybody, do not compete against pros like ourselves or other people; do not making tactical asset allocation bets or moving around in the markets, because you will probably lose."

source

Last edited by FeitaInc; 04-28-17 at 03:22 PM. Reason: edited link
    morganplus8, rarsen, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    04-28-17 03:20 PM
    M8, would you please comment again on today's SP action? The RSI has been overbought for so many days. I have never experienced like this. Would you elaborate further on this? What is causing all of this? We know BlackBerry's fundamentals. Please share all your thoughts please!

Posted via CB10
    rarsen and Corbu like this.
    04-28-17 03:38 PM
    M8

Do you ever play the TSFA over contribution penalty game?

For instance the other day when BlackBerry popped due to the lawsuit winnings, I calculated it advantageous to transfer BlackBerry to the tsfa at the previous days close to pay less in capital gains.

The next step is taking the BlackBerry stock out again and putting it back to my trading account.

It's along the same thinking that I am hoping to do with SPHS if one day it all of a sudden pops

It's just a strategy I was thinking of to help offset capital gains.

Thanks for all your advice.

Ps. I hope your wife's account wins because I too have a lot of sphs
    rarsen, Corbu and OlympusMons like this.
    04-28-17 04:18 PM
    M8, would you please comment again on today's SP action? The RSI has been overbought for so many days. I have never experienced like this. Would you elaborate further on this? What is causing all of this? We know BlackBerry's fundamentals. Please share all your thoughts please!

Posted via CB10
    I think it was a straight forward sell program at the opening, the market makers dropped the price back to support, absorbed over 2 mm shares and as soon as the sell program dried up, they raced it right back up to normal trading levels (they back it up to create profits at the end of the day and they don't know how many shares are coming so it is prudent to drop the price). Support is at $ 9.16/shr and they bid 20,000 - 30,000 going down to ease the decline. The pop was just as nice and then it was a case of sopping up the "asks" all day. We even made a nominal new 52 week high just to set the stage for next week. We are really getting some solid support even though RSI is a little high. At $ 9.16/shr RSI=70 and as CJ pointed out, he sees BBRY as "valued" in the area just above $ 9.00. I say we are going higher next week unless the general market drops hard. GL
    rarsen, Corbu, Greened and 4 others like this.
    04-28-17 06:19 PM
    M8

Do you ever play the TSFA over contribution penalty game?

For instance the other day when BlackBerry popped due to the lawsuit winnings, I calculated it advantageous to transfer BlackBerry to the tsfa at the previous days close to pay less in capital gains.

The next step is taking the BlackBerry stock out again and putting it back to my trading account.

It's along the same thinking that I am hoping to do with SPHS if one day it all of a sudden pops

It's just a strategy I was thinking of to help offset capital gains.

Thanks for all your advice.

Ps. I hope your wife's account wins because I too have a lot of sphs
    Ha! I'm audited every year so there is no way I could try something like that. The other problem is the CRA wants to take-away profits from active traders using TFSA accounts. You have to hold the investment long enough for them to understand that you are not trying to day trade the tax free status of the account. My wife has one of the largest TFSA accounts in Canada and we do not want to tip the CRA off that those gains should be taxed. You won't see me doing anything out of the ordinary here!
    04-28-17 06:28 PM
    Ha! I'm audited every year so there is no way I could try something like that. The other problem is the CRA wants to take-away profits from active traders using TFSA accounts. You have to hold the investment long enough for them to understand that you are not trying to day trade the tax free status of the account. My wife has one of the largest TFSA account in Canada and we do not want to tip the CRA off that those gains should be taxed. You won't see me doing anything out of the ordinary here!
    Thanks Morgan
    I am small potatoes in the tsfa, but just looked at it more as a loophole, but yes, definitely don't want to lose the tax free gains.

It is a pretty great option having the tsfa, I guess no point taking advantage of it.

I appreciate your perspective on things.
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    04-28-17 06:34 PM
    I think it was a straight forward sell program at the opening, the market makers dropped the price back to support, absorbed over 2 mm shares and as soon as the sell program dried up, they raced it right back up to normal trading levels (they back it up to create profits at the end of the day and they don't know how many shares are coming so it is prudent to drop the price). Support is at $ 9.16/shr and they bid 20,000 - 30,000 going down to ease the decline. The pop was just as nice and then it was a case of sopping up the "asks" all day. We even made a nominal new 52 week high just to set the stage for next week. We are really getting some solid support even though RSI is a little high. At $ 9.16/shr RSI=70 and as CJ pointed out, he sees BBRY as "valued" in the area just above $ 9.00. I say we are going higher next week unless the general market drops hard. GL
    Thanks M8!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-17 08:07 PM
    A smart person would bet on Morgan's wife to win! Let's take a trip down memory lane, Encana!

LOL

Cheers mates!
    04-29-17 03:57 PM
    A thing I've been thinking a little bit about is, if anybody are to acquire BlackBerry, who might it be? JC has a history of turning companies around and selling them to major players, and as BlackBerry's financials improve across the board, the risk associated with buying them seems to be decreasing.

Originally I thought Samsung might be a logical choice, but as far as I can tell that is no longer probable.

Any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    04-30-17 07:01 AM
    A thing I've been thinking a little bit about is, if anybody are to acquire BlackBerry, who might it be? JC has a history of turning companies around and selling them to major players, and as BlackBerry's financials improve across the board, the risk associated with buying them seems to be decreasing.

Originally I thought Samsung might be a logical choice, but as far as I can tell that is no longer probable.

Any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    I'd think Google would have an interest to bolster their security interests and improve the perception of android, amongst other reasons.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-17 08:51 AM
    How about Volkswagen to mess up Ford

Posted via CB10
    04-30-17 09:15 AM
    Chinese companies would likely be out of the acquisition picture, but BlackBerry could be a perfect fit for Microsoft. They were pushed aside by Ford, in favor of BlackBerry. MSFT has the cash and resources to improve on BBRY 's software ambitions. Also, as more and more businesses go mobile & byod, MSFT is desperately trying to stay as the go to for enterprise software & solutions.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-17 09:37 AM

Any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    I was at the gym when I wrote this, and I'm on the road now. I'll try to flesh it out a little bit more later today, but I guess the overall point I'm driving at is this: if selling BlackBerry is JC's overall goal or strategy (set by Prem Watsa), who he's looking at as a potential buyer will set "go-to-market" path for transforming BlackBerry into the product that that buyer (/those buyers) would want to buy in a way that maximizes the potential for shareholders.

Take the deal to license the BlackBerry brand to TCL, what I love about this setup is that it's a clear win-win. Chinese brands (OPPO, Vivo, Huawei) have had difficulties in gaining market share in the US for a number of reasons (ecosystem, culture, brand, being non-domestic etc.) and here comes the fourth largest handset maker in the world (I think), which happens to be Chinese, and potentially circumvents many of the difficulties that the other Chinese brands face by licensing a worldwide recognizable north-american brand. And they've also licensed the Palm brand (again, I think). That's quite the one-two punch, potentially.

And if you think about what JC has said about liking the 'Intel inside' marketing campaign, and making a 'Secured by BlackBerry' version of it.. if he can pull that of, the market opportunity for BlackBerry might be substantial. Think about what Huawei would pay BlackBerry if BlackBerry could stamp their infrastructure hardware with a government approved 'Secured by BlackBerry ' stamp that might result in them not being blocked for infrastructure deliveries to the US (as they were with Sprint)? To use theatrical stage directions:
    Enter: IoT / EoT
    Enter: healthcare
    Enter: autonomous cars/trucks/etc.

But why would he sell? Synergies? More available capital? Technology?

So looking at how JC has structured BlackBerry, and the ability of those division to operate separately (in the case of a spin-off), I find very interesting.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-17 09:57 AM
    Why must everything revolve around a buy out! Why can't BlackBerry stand on its own? Past doesn't represent the present. My thoughts only!
    Corbu, La Emperor, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    04-30-17 04:34 PM
    Why must everything revolve around a buy out! Why can't BlackBerry stand on its own? Past doesn't represent the present. My thoughts only!
    A buy-out is just one option, and if they play it right, continuing as they are today might be the best solution for everybody.

As I wrote in my previous post, I am trying to rewrite it and flesh it out some more. doing that, one of the things I've added is more or less the above point. That said, writing the post is taking some time as my thoughts are a little bit all over the place, and I kind of have to make it coherent. Right now it's long, and getting longer.
    04-30-17 05:01 PM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Any thoughts out there that BlackBerry CEO Chen will use some of that additional $1billion QCOM cash for a share buyback?... 50 m shares would be very nice lol..... next reporting period should be most interesting!

... Cash position could be further boosted by IP wins (BLU , Avaya) in the queue atm....

Posted via CB10
    Bacon Munchers and Greened like this.
    05-01-17 07:51 AM
    OT: Acad

Hey M8 or our option gurus, I was hoping to get your advice on options if u don't mind. I want to get rid of my ACAD common stock position, I have 1500 cause it's tieing up a lot of capital but I believe this company will be bought out by years end and don't want to miss the boat so I want to just buy options so I don't need to have so much capital invested into common stock. Should I just buy 15 calls for Jan 18, 2018? I was looking at the 35 strike price Or would I need some sort of spread....sry I'm pretty new to options and not sure what strike to buy it at.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ps. Still forever waiting on sphs news as well
    Mr BBRY, Corbu and OlympusMons like this.
    05-01-17 11:07 AM
113,251 ... 40694070407140724073 ...