View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    BNN discusses Blackberry Athoc win of the US gov't contract, its implications and potential future overseas wins.

U.S. authorization a big win for BlackBerry amid 'Buy America' rhetoric - Video - BNN
    03-21-17 07:13 PM
    Good interview with Carmi Levy. Thanks, La Emperor!

Last edited by Corbu; 03-21-17 at 07:43 PM.
    03-21-17 07:26 PM
    Good interview with Carmi Levy. Thanks, La Emperor!

Yes, great interview. This guy gets it! Watching this interview was just the pep talk I needed after watching this horrific stock performance of BBRY of late. There is some very real value behind BlackBerry secure networks. Waiting for the world and market to realize that value is a painstakingly slow process, but one that I believe will end in our favor sooner or later.

That said, I'm slightly nervous for this upcoming ER. If the general market continues to fall, I worry BlackBerry will need to report something positive or else its another quarter of being punished for holding this stock. I don't mind hanging around for another year, or even two... but wow is this stock testing my patience. Does anyone want to predict what may be a silver lining in this quarter's ER? Regardless, I'm locked, loaded and holding through this ER. Long and strong!
    Corbu, rarsen, La Emperor and 6 others like this.
    03-22-17 08:10 AM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Yes, great interview. This guy gets it! Watching this interview was just the pep talk I needed after watching this horrific stock performance of BBRY of late. There is some very real value behind BlackBerry secure networks. Waiting for the world and market to realize that value is a painstakingly slow process, but one that I believe will end in our favor sooner or later.

That said, I'm slightly nervous for this upcoming ER. If the general market continues to fall, I worry BlackBerry will need to report something positive or else its another quarter of being punished for holding this stock. I don't mind hanging around for another year, or even two... but wow is this stock testing my patience. Does anyone want to predict what may be a silver lining in this quarter's ER? Regardless, I'm locked, loaded and holding through this ER. Long and strong!
    The question here is always declining revenues... will they turn that corner this reporting period?... they may show more profits but they are getting hammered by continual shrinking revenues.. and remember.. Shorts (hedge funds) totally manipulate this stock and still have a big bet on BlackBerry's demise... so BlackBerry needs to show increasing revenues and forecasts for more to come.. and impressive Software and Services numbers... imo

Posted via CB10
    03-22-17 08:39 AM
    Obvious yesterday and this morning that BBRY being manipulated by walking the price down using the BATS exchange. Someone didn't expect the news of Intel last week and is positioning before earnings

Posted via CB10
    03-22-17 09:06 AM
    Two things come to mind for this reporting period, guidance for Fiscal 2018 and a cleaner balance sheet going forward. There is the wildcard that Chen might be looking at acquisitions again and of course look at IPO valuations, they are through the roof and BB's assets get no play under the BB banner. Carmi Levy spoke well of AtHoc which is refreshing but he is the same guy who said my investment would die so there's that ...........

I'm looking forward to what Chen has to say, not so much the numbers this Q as how he sees SS doing in Fiscal 2018 versus his 30% growth this past year. MOBL got a huge bump for delivering slightly better growth this year but their guidance looks lame. Can Chen deliver on superior growth in SS again this year? Little downside to this play, it just hasn't been on the radar this year at all. GL
    03-22-17 10:10 AM
    03-22-17 01:03 PM
    Two things come to mind for this reporting period, guidance for Fiscal 2018 and a cleaner balance sheet going forward. There is the wildcard that Chen might be looking at acquisitions again and of course look at IPO valuations, they are through the roof and BB's assets get no play under the BB banner. Carmi Levy spoke well of AtHoc which is refreshing but he is the same guy who said my investment would die so there's that ...........

I'm looking forward to what Chen has to say, not so much the numbers this Q as how he sees SS doing in Fiscal 2018 versus his 30% growth this past year. MOBL got a huge bump for delivering slightly better growth this year but their guidance looks lame. Can Chen deliver on superior growth in SS again this year? Little downside to this play, it just hasn't been on the radar this year at all. GL
    Hi Morgan. I am really interested in the numbers for this quarter. If they get to (more or less) 30 percent growth, and do so in a transparant way, then that would add to their credibility for FY2018. It seems that you're not expecting any negative surprises this quarter. May I ask how much you think they'll have in S&S for the quarter? Thanks

Posted via CB10
    03-22-17 01:43 PM
    http://www.itworldcanada.com/article...ndustry/391684

Not sure this has been posted here. This is part 2. Part 3 seems not out yet. No idea why it is released as part 1, 2, 3. Maybe this is to counter the noise during the quiet period?

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    03-22-17 07:02 PM
    Hi Morgan. I am really interested in the numbers for this quarter. If they get to (more or less) 30 percent growth, and do so in a transparant way, then that would add to their credibility for FY2018. It seems that you're not expecting any negative surprises this quarter. May I ask how much you think they'll have in S&S for the quarter? Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Hi _dimi_ !

I know you need to see more clarity in BlackBerry's accounting, we did discuss some of these numbers a few weeks ago, and, for me at least it isn't an issue. I remember using $ 527 MM as my base number, I grossed that number by 30% and used that figure as my target for S&S in Fiscal 2017. We have three Q's in now so all I want to see is for BB to make their 30% which I believe they will (I'm looking for $ 685 MM/annually). Chen has been very good at setting targets for cash-flow, earnings and in this case, S&S so I believe he will deliver. Analysts will be watching for that 30% too so there are all kinds of others doing my work for me. I don't have the data in front of me now so you would have to do the math to figure out my number!

As far as I'm considered, the balance sheet becomes far more clear on it's own going forward. Once you pull out HW it clears itself up. I really care about what Chen has to say for guidance, we might not get much out of him this Q but the annual meeting is coming up and he has to lay down the numbers then. The general news about the company is great, it is nice to hear from those who thought this company had no future, say something positive about it now. I'm not a fan of Carmi Levy at all, I like Ross Healey so I don't like that he sold out, but, it all comes down to how long you are willing to sit on this investment, I get that and I'm okay with 2 or more years. I purchased more shares on this latest dip as my wife is out of the country for the week and there was no one here to hit me over the head. I truly like what I'm hearing lately and really don't care what the numbers are this Q. I'm much more focused on what they are going to do with their various sector businesses now. Best of luck.
    03-23-17 10:16 AM
    Hi _dimi_ !

... I purchased more shares on this latest dip as my wife is out of the country for the week and there was no one here to hit me over the head....
    Glad I'm not the only one.

PS - Come on Trump! Burp something about mobile security so that we can see the needle move!
    03-23-17 01:05 PM
    Yeah, you'll see the needle move negative. The Senate just passed a bill (sure to pass in the House and become law)
    that will allow the carriers/ISP's do do whatever they want with your personal info. You can forget mobile security since
    unless it's encrypted end-to-end they have everything
    03-23-17 04:51 PM
    03-23-17 05:25 PM

Will try and find a link...
    03-23-17 09:15 PM
    Yeah, you'll see the needle move negative. The Senate just passed a bill (sure to pass in the House and become law)
    that will allow the carriers/ISP's do do whatever they want with your personal info. You can forget mobile security since
    unless it's encrypted end-to-end they have everything
    To me, that just means more flocking to BlackBerry; more so BB10.
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    03-24-17 02:55 PM
    Exactly - actually even with all its bumps and warts I may switch a line or two back to BB10
    TGIS likes this.
    03-24-17 02:59 PM
    03-24-17 03:08 PM
    Short interest update: increase of 5.5M shares as of March 15th. Was at 48.2M now at 53.7, so the drop was certainly partly due to shorts, same level near Nov 2016, so may be normal move into earnings
    morganplus8, rarsen, TGIS and 2 others like this.
    03-24-17 03:12 PM
    Using BB10 won't prevent your ISP from watching everything you do on the internet any more than any other OS.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and TGIS like this.
    03-24-17 03:12 PM
    Would a full time vpn help, I guess data only.

So need to use data messengers and phone accounts.
    TGIS likes this.
    03-24-17 05:26 PM
    03-24-17 06:58 PM
    At least, its better then any other OS!

Apple: Latest WikiLeaks CIA hacks to iPhones fixed long ago

But if you believe that's the last bug, guess again!
    03-24-17 08:25 PM
    BlackBerry Ltd CEO had ‘mixed emotions’ about sending employees to Ford, $20-million lawsuit claims | Financial Post

BlackBerry CEO John Chen had “mixed emotions” over the deal to transfer employees to Ford Motor Co. of Canada, according to new documents filed in a $20-million class action lawsuit on behalf of 300 employees of the smartphone-turned-software company.

Employees allege that BlackBerry Ltd. wrongfully terminated them without proper compensation when it arranged for them to be hired by Ford after the companies partnered to develop car software last fall, according to legal proceedings launched in February. BlackBerry denies any wrongdoing, but employees claim they were intentionally misled and are fighting for punitive damages.

The statement of claim filed late last week by law firm Nelligan O’Brien Payne reveals the affected employees were those who developed smartphone hardware and software, a unit that was discontinued in September 2016 after Chen failed to return it to profitability by a self-imposed deadline.

It also indicates Chen encouraged employees to take jobs at Ford because the new strategy “requires a reduced headcount in the mobility solutions (business unit),” according to a Jan. 6 email allegedly sent by Chen.

Chen allegedly told the employees he had “mixed emotions” about the deal and was sorry “to have to lose great talent and loyal colleagues from BlackBerry,” though he was happy he negotiated alternative employment, the lawsuit claims, citing the email. He acknowledged that some employees asked to move to another group such as the new autonomous vehicle centre, but said the project was “still developing and its timeline is undetermined.”

“The Ford and TCL deals are in-hand and my priority has been to ensure that as many impacted employees as possible have a good home at a company that will make the best use of your talents,” the email said, according to the lawsuit. If an employee declined Ford’s offer, Chen allegedly stated BlackBerry would seek internal opportunities “as much as possible.”

The employees were under the impression they’d be out of work if they didn’t accept the Ford jobs, the lawsuit claims based on representative plaintiff David Parker, an Ottawa resident who started working at BlackBerry in 2004 and accepted the offer to move to Ford in January.

“He believed he had no other practical choice; his decision was not voluntary,” the lawsuit claims, citing BlackBerry’s long history of layoffs. (It cut 11,500 jobs from 2011 to 2013, after its precipitous drop from the top of the TSX, and announced further plans to cut costs last year.)

But after Parker accepted the offer, BlackBerry told him he needed to submit a formal notice of resignation. This was the first time employees were told their departure was considered a resignation, meaning their years of service wouldn’t transfer and they wouldn’t get termination entitlements such as severance or vacation pay.

After Parker commenced legal action, BlackBerry sent employees an email stating employees didn’t need to submit a resignation letter, though it reiterated that accepting Ford’s offer amounted to a resignation. It also reached out to Parker to discuss potential opportunities within BlackBerry, but the lawsuit dismisses this as “self-serving statements made in the face of litigation.”

None of the allegations have been proven in court. BlackBerry maintains it complied with its obligations to its employees. When asked for comment on the specific allegations in the statement of claim, spokeswoman Sarah McKinney repeated BlackBerry’s previous statement on the matter.

“We believe the case lacks merit and will defend against it vigorously,” she wrote.

BlackBerry reports its year-end results next week.
    03-25-17 12:30 PM
    The very astute Jim Cramer has obviously been following BlackBerry's transformation closely...

And Cramer is amazed there's still hope for Blackberry, which is set to report earnings Friday.

"The company's promotional enough that the first trade often produces a jump. But that jump's been worth shorting ever since the iPhone took over the smartphone universe, so just say no to Blackberry," Cramer said.
    Enough said. No link needed.
    03-25-17 12:38 PM
    General information from the Security files, still a lot of naive and lazy people out there unfortunately:

Google: Hacked sites rose by a third in 2016 | ZDNet

How to lock up your digital life and privacy in an hour (in pictures) | ZDNet
    Corbu, morganplus8, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    03-25-17 05:57 PM
113,256 ... 40544055405640574058 ...