View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    “The biggest issue we have is not getting invited to the table because the customer doesn’t know that BlackBerry is doing that. That’s the challenge.”
    Truth. Heard here at multiple times ... "Gosh, they really do this ? I didn't even know they were in the party !"
    Corbu, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    03-02-17 05:12 PM
    03-02-17 06:22 PM
    Trump focus on cyber security ‘awesome timing’ as BlackBerry completes shift to security software | Financial Post

The Trump administration’s focus on cyber security is “awesome timing” for BlackBerry Ltd. as the hardware-turned-software company tries to make its brand synonymous with secure software instead of smartphones, chief operating officer Marty Beard said Thursday.

In the three years since the Waterloo, Ont. company started to shift from its flailing hardware manufacturing division to focus on security software – a transformation that Beard says is “basically 100 per cent” done – cyber security has transformed from a nice-to-have to a must-have feature as regulators and insurance companies worry more about hacks, Beard said in a wide-ranging interview in Toronto as part of a media blitz to clear up confusion over what BlackBerry is actually up to these days.

“As the government focuses more on cyber security and the president actually created a cyber security task force, we obviously would like to be involved in that,” he said.

“For us it’s awesome timing. There’s a real focus in the federal government on getting ahead of this given all the hacks and everything that happened to the government systems.”

Government organizations remain BlackBerry’s strongest vertical given its reputation for secure communications, Beard said. But BlackBerry is pushing to sell its software that helps companies securely manage the proliferation of devices in an organization – be it laptops, smartphones, trucks or wearables – to financial services, health care and transportation companies as well.

Its software lets organizations monitor in real time what people are doing with the hundreds or thousands of devices used in daily operations. One example is BlackBerry Radar, a fleet management service that reports everything from the temperature of a truck to where it is to whether its door is open.

“Is it big brother or big protector, it depends on how you look at it. If it’s your stuff in the truck, you probably like it. If you’re the truck driver, maybe not,” Beard said.

Beard said his biggest challenge isn’t losing deals to other enterprise management software companies including Microsoft, AirWatch, Citrix and MobileIron – Beard cited BlackBerry as the market leader with a 20 per cent share – but making sure BlackBerry is even invited to the table in the first place.

“One of our biggest challenges is the brand being so primarily associated with smartphones and us as a hardware manufacturer,” he said. “Now we’re a software manufacturer that is selling to enterprises… it’s a big shift.”

There’s even more confusion now that BlackBerry’s new licensing partners have started launching smartphones under its brand name. China’s TCL Communication launched the first of these phones earlier this week, the KEYone – the final device, complete with a keyboard, that BlackBerry had a hand in designing.

Beard emphasized TCL, not BlackBerry, launched the product. BlackBerry has yet to release any financial guidance on how much revenue it expects to earn from these licensing deals.

“We of course make money every time one of those devices are sold, so we hope lots of those devices will be sold,” Beard said.

Still, the bulk of the new BlackBerry is focused on software that helps enterprises manage and secure devices and software embedded into cars through BlackBerry’s QNX division, which has made BlackBerry the leading in-car operating system. BlackBerry has also increased its focus on autonomous cars, Beard said.

Revenue from software services outstripped hardware for the first time this year, and BlackBerry no longer reports how many devices it sells quarterly.

Beard envisioned a future where BlackBerry is in a similar position to chip maker Intel, where stickers stating “BlackBerry Secure” indicate what’s on the inside of an item the same way Intel advertises on computing devices.

Still, Beard acknowledged it will take time for people to give up the hardware image.

“I don’t think there’s any magic bullet beyond we have to be really consistent and we just have to keep saying it,” he said. “It’s almost like a political campaign.”
    rarsen and Mr BBRY like this.
    03-02-17 06:24 PM
    03-02-17 07:33 PM
    “The biggest issue we have is not getting invited to the table because the customer doesn’t know that BlackBerry is doing that. That’s the challenge.”

Truth. Heard here at multiple times ... "Gosh, they really do this ? I didn't even know they were in the party !"
    Plus this:
    "Beard said in a wide-ranging interview in Toronto as part of a media blitz to clear up confusion over what BlackBerry is actually up to these days."

Not to belabor the point further but I submit that BlackBerry might not have found itself in such a conundrum had it paid closer attention to its Communications and PR approach, over the last few years. That aspect surely could be improved. Such was the case a few years ago, as we all know. Such is still the case, imho. Be more proactive, BlackBerry! Assert yourself!

Just my opinion, FWIW...
    03-02-17 07:52 PM
    I bet the first time I posted this on CrackBerry was at least 6 years ago. They build the best communication devices on the planet, yet as a business have no clue how to communicate. Overall, I think they've improved recently. Maybe it's just that the bar had been set so low.
    Corbu, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 4 others like this.
    03-02-17 07:59 PM
    Cybersecurity 500 List of Top Cybersecurity CompaniesCybersecurity Ventures

Movers and Shakers

Blackberry moved to No. 34 on the list, up from No. 40 in Q4 2016. The company continues to execute on its transformation into a pure-play cybersecurity firm.
    List:
    Cybersecurity 500 List of Top Cybersecurity CompaniesCybersecurity Ventures
    03-03-17 07:14 AM
    JC on CBS This Morning now...

03-03-17 07:34 AM
    03-03-17 08:21 AM
    I'm dissapointed about their 'greatest concern' (not being invited to potential deals). Not sure if it is the case and that the issue will be raised during next earnings announcement (lack of revenue growth), or that it remains 'just' a concern for now (why otherwise claim that you're the market leader?). Anyway, not a remark I was expecting from a company in their 3rd year of the turnaround. Especially since they're hiding behind the 'confusion of what the company represents' argument while it was them licensing the BlackBerry brand name, and even promoting it on morning shows (JC on CBS).

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 11:28 AM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I'm dissapointed about their 'greatest concern' (not being invited to potential deals). Not sure if it is the case and that the issue will be raised during next earnings announcement (lack of revenue growth), or that it remains 'just' a concern for now (why otherwise claim that you're the market leader?). Anyway, not a remark I was expecting from a company in their 3rd year of the turnaround. Especially since they're hiding behind the 'confusion of what the company represents' argument while it was them licensing the BlackBerry brand name, and even promoting it on morning shows (JC on CBS).

Posted via CB10
    "Still on the comeback trail… I have to settle the company down first." CEO Chen today ... also not a comment i would expect or want to see, at this time .. looks like another poor earnings expectation ... and more time needed to ...
    03-03-17 12:58 PM
    03-03-17 05:00 PM
    Çorbu and other great contributors on on this thread, Thank you!

John Chen stick with your plan and disregard the critic's!
    Last edited by bbjdog; 03-03-17 at 06:08 PM.
    rarsen, Corbu, La Emperor and 4 others like this.
    03-03-17 05:50 PM
    I'm waiting for a licensing deal with Verizon, and i'll be all in bbry again.

It makes sense for a US carrier to make and market their own hardened Android. Imagine the profits for Verizon and for Blackberry with a secure Android front and center in every store.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 06:45 PM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I'm waiting for a licensing deal with Verizon, and i'll be all in bbry again.

It makes sense for a US carrier to make and market their own hardened Android. Imagine the profits for Verizon and for Blackberry with a secure Android front and center in every store.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry doesn't make phones any more... up to TCL to market their phones and deal with carriers, etc...

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 07:08 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't make phones any more... up to TCL to market their phones and deal with carriers, etc...

Posted via CB10
    I know!

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 07:12 PM
    03-03-17 07:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    But I think it would be nice that Verizon signed a deal with BlackBerry like TCL
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-03-17 07:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    Technically, it would be BlackBerry Mobile, under the TCL umbrella.
    03-03-17 09:44 PM
    Lift Stay Motion. Motion of Blackberry Limited and Blackberry Corporation Pursuant to 11 U.S.C. § 362(d) for Relief from the Automatic Stay [Docket No. 151]. Objection Deadline: February 24, 2017, at 4:00 p.m. (prevailing Eastern Time), which deadline has been extended to March 15, 2017, at 4:00 p.m. (prevailing Eastern Time). Responses Received: None Replies Filed: None Related Documents: None Status: This matter has been adjourned to March 22, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. (prevailing Eastern Time).

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 02:37 AM
    But I think it would be nice that Verizon signed a deal with BlackBerry like TCL
    I believe TCL has the exclusive 'global' license (excl. the areas Optiemus and BB Merah Putih are active in).

From the press release:
    TCL Communication will be the exclusive global manufacturer and distributor for all BlackBerry-branded smartphones with the exception of the following countries: India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and Indonesia. Additional information on the product roadmap and availability of devices will be available in coming months.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by _dimi_; 03-04-17 at 04:45 AM.
    rarsen and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    03-04-17 04:32 AM
    I never understood why CrackBerry, during all those years, have been only/mostly focused on devices and accessories. With all the assets it has (popularity, community, know-how, network, ...) it could have been a much stronger partner of BlackBerry and it would have been a win-win situation.

Perhaps CrackBerry being a part of Mobile Nations is a problem: if BlackBerry UEM is promoted, then there could be consequences for the Microsoft side, who have an EMM offering in place as well?

Why can't I find CrackBerry tutorials on BlackBerry's EMM and IoT offering? I am aware that they couldn't possibly involve the entire CrackBerry community. But how about promoting those products, even having a few decidated CrackBerry experts be the first point of contact for small/mid-sized businesses..?

So many opportunities, and it seems all we/they do is talk about what could be. We're not just here because we have money tied up. I would like to see BlackBerry succeed, because of my beliefs. Why isn't CrackBerry doing more?

Perhaps a few of us should discuss the idea. We could gather the talent in a few strategic areas, gain critical knowledge, set up a business/website and become part-time consultants. We're putting so much time into 'BlackBerry', we might as well earn some money while 'evangelising' :-) I'd really like to pitch BlackBerry Radar to some of the major transportation companies in Belgium & the Netherlands.. including those located in the harbors of Antwerp, Bruges and Rotterdam.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by _dimi_; 03-04-17 at 05:32 AM.
    rarsen, Corbu, morganplus8 and 4 others like this.
    03-04-17 05:19 AM
    I believe TCL has the exclusive 'global' license (excl. the areas Optiemus and BB Merah Putih are active in).

From the press release:
    TCL Communication will be the exclusive global manufacturer and distributor for all BlackBerry-branded smartphones with the exception of the following countries: India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and Indonesia. Additional information on the product roadmap and availability of devices will be available in coming months.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks Dimi. I was hoping for more of these licensing agreements.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 06:17 AM
    I like your idea, dimi!
    03-04-17 09:19 AM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I never understood why CrackBerry, during all those years, have been only/mostly focused on devices and accessories. With all the assets it has (popularity, community, know-how, network, ...) it could have been a much stronger partner of BlackBerry and it would have been a win-win situation.

Perhaps CrackBerry being a part of Mobile Nations is a problem: if BlackBerry UEM is promoted, then there could be consequences for the Microsoft side, who have an EMM offering in place as well?

Why can't I find CrackBerry tutorials on BlackBerry's EMM and IoT offering? I am aware that they couldn't possibly involve the entire CrackBerry community. But how about promoting those products, even having a few decidated CrackBerry experts be the first point of contact for small/mid-sized businesses..?

So many opportunities, and it seems all we/they do is talk about what could be. We're not just here because we have money tied up. I would like to see BlackBerry succeed, because of my beliefs. Why isn't CrackBerry doing more?

Perhaps a few of us should discuss the idea. We could gather the talent in a few strategic areas, gain critical knowledge, set up a business/website and become part-time consultants. We're putting so much time into 'BlackBerry', we might as well earn some money while 'evangelising' :-) I'd really like to pitch BlackBerry Radar to some of the major transportation companies in Belgium & the Netherlands.. including those located in the harbors of Antwerp, Bruges and Rotterdam.

Posted via CB10
    Just contact BlackBerry directly....present your qualifications and ideas Re: Radar, etc....

As far as CrackBerry... most interest here was (still is) only about phones and related phone software... people don't care about the other stuff in bbry's portfolio... imo, and the CrackBerry base has shrunk as most others have moved on to other phones/platforms (apple, samsung).. even here in Toronto... most business colleagues of mine.. even in tech and legal, etc., no longer use BlackBerry devices--- hence they have no interest in what BlackBerry does or is doing... that's BlackBerry's biggest problem... perception... and biggest challenge ... still.... as recent statements from them confirm....

Personally, I have stated before and still believe they should have spun off into a separate company the IOT / QNX business... licensed it back to the remaining BlackBerry (security and software services, mobile software, etc business) and see where that takes them... right now... they are a lot of things to a lot of people... out of phones but in phones..and so on... muddled perceptions continue..brand still toxic in some minds...

A new clean QNX / IOT company would be my recommendation... leaving the rest with "BlackBerry Security Solutions inc"...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 03-04-17 at 09:46 AM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-04-17 09:32 AM
113,256 ... 40474048404940504051 ...