View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    If you are a buyer of the stock, it's at the bottom end of its Bollinger Bands having been dumped by those who rush for the movers. I have an order for 65,000 at $ 6.88/shr and I would be happy to have it filled right now seeing as how it is such a bad investment. Please fill my order so I can place another one for these terrible shares.
    Sorry Morgan, I've been front - running you today, lol.
    morganplus8, rarsen and Mr BBRY like this.
    03-01-17 01:26 PM
    Don't think BBRY will be acquired - Book value probably below $4, don't know where Watsa is
    on his average share value and Canadian government probably still believes BBRY has some strategic value.
    Doubt anyone would make decent offer
    03-01-17 01:34 PM
    If you are a buyer of the stock, it's at the bottom end of its Bollinger Bands having been dumped by those who rush for the movers. I have an order for 65,000 at $ 6.88/shr and I would be happy to have it filled right now seeing as how it is such a bad investment. Please fill my order so I can place another one for these terrible shares.
    Thanks for the heads up Morgan, I bought a small portion today for trading at 6.93 prior to this post.

Will sell if this gets above 7.6 before earnings, otherwise will ride into ER together with my main holding.
    morganplus8 and Mr BBRY like this.
    03-01-17 01:54 PM
    03-01-17 03:02 PM
    Heard from ex-colleague there was a round of layoff today within Enterprise... 20% of devs. To my recollection this is the first time a size this big has ever hit the Enterprise unit... last time it was only 10% and mostly non-developers.
    03-01-17 05:26 PM
    Heard from ex-colleague there was a round of layoff today within Enterprise... 20% of devs. To my recollection this is the first time a size this big has ever hit the Enterprise unit... last time it was only 10% and mostly non-developers.
    John Chen must go, him and Watsa have all but destroyed this company, thinking they knew better. I don't agree with so many that continue to support him despite the actual performance.
    03-01-17 06:32 PM
    John Chen must go, him and Watsa have all but destroyed this company, thinking they knew better. I don't agree with so many that continue to support him despite the actual performance.
    I'd still support him. As unfortunately as it is, BB needs to be lean at this point. Without Chen there'd be 0 employees left, 2 years ago.
    app_Developer and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-01-17 06:35 PM
    I'd still support him. As unfortunately as it is, BB needs to be lean at this point. Without Chen there'd be 0 employees left, 2 years ago.
    I don't agree, if they had hired someone with passion and who went after their actual core business of smartphones by giving people what they wanted instead of peddling whatever crap they had, they would have done well, and could slowly have pivoted to software. Instead they dismantled half the company, killed morale, continued with a lack of transparency and alienated stakeholder by stakeholder, from loyal consumers, to shareholders, media.....
    03-01-17 06:39 PM
    "We'll compete directly with Apple and Samsung," he said, pointing to the top two smartphone makers in the world. TCL will start by taking the KEYone directly to BlackBerry customers, who number about 275 million globally.
    After that, BlackBerry will market to consumers who are in the bring-your-own-device market, he said. TCL makes televisions sold in the U.S., but is largely unknown there.
    TCL also makes lower-cost Alcatel smartphones sold in the U.S., but the KEYone will be a higher-priced flagship brand, he said.
    "We have to go after Samsung," he said. "It's not going to be easy, but it's a viable opportunity."

Back to the future: BlackBerry KEYone launches with physical keyboard - CIO New Zealand
    I like this guy!
    03-01-17 07:04 PM
    I'll tend to a "bear hands" something
    To add to the play on words, blackberries are called bjørnebær in Norwegian which translated literally means bear berries.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-01-17 07:20 PM
    Out of curiosity, where the layoffs in the group(s) that did BES for BB10 devices? Seems everything in UEM is android or iOS, no need for BB10 people anymore. Similar to how there were reports that BBOS devs were let go while BB10 was in development.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-17 08:39 PM
    Looks like a lot of hiring happening globally

https://bb.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/BlackBerry/jobs
    03-01-17 09:03 PM
    I don't agree, if they had hired someone with passion and who went after their actual core business of smartphones by giving people what they wanted instead of peddling whatever crap they had, they would have done well, and could slowly have pivoted to software. Instead they dismantled half the company, killed morale, continued with a lack of transparency and alienated stakeholder by stakeholder, from loyal consumers, to shareholders, media.....
    The Passport was peddling the crap they had? SMH

They had a tiny core of smartphone customers left, who were incapable of sustaining the hardware side, as the earnings reports made extremely apparent. Chen had to act fast, if anyone's job were to be saved.
    03-01-17 09:23 PM
    Thanks for the heads up Morgan, I bought a small portion today for trading at 6.93 prior to this post.

Will sell if this gets above 7.6 before earnings, otherwise will ride into ER together with my main holding.
    Good for you, rather then get ticked off that it is down, close to oversold, and failing to trade like a bank stock, buy it instead! I thought I would load up as it approaches RSI=30 again, this has always paid off. It stopped just before my price so I killed the order tonight and I'll go at it again tomorrow. The Bollinger Bands are at 6.85/shr so now is the time to jump back in. Good luck!
    03-01-17 09:26 PM
    Out of curiosity, where the layoffs in the group(s) that did BES for BB10 devices? Seems everything in UEM is android or iOS, no need for BB10 people anymore. Similar to how there were reports that BBOS devs were let go while BB10 was in development.

Posted via CB10
    I'm fairly sure the BB10 devs on the BES side were all transitioned to other platforms over a year ago and would work on BB10 as needed... i was told several android devs were let go so presumably there was some emphasis on the team responsible for the BES device client. But one of my ex coworker on the server side was affected so i dont really know if it was all around or what.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-01-17 09:27 PM
    I'm fairly sure the BB10 devs on the BES side were all transitioned to other platforms over a year ago and would work on BB10 as needed... i was told several android devs were let go so presumably there was some emphasis on the team responsible for the BES device client. But one of my ex coworker on the server side was affected so i dont really know if it was all around or what.
    Sure hope either your numbers are way off, or there's a logical explanation. I had hoped by now all the fat was trimmed.
    Mr BBRY and Corbu like this.
    03-01-17 10:23 PM
    Good for you, rather then get ticked off that it is down, close to oversold, and failing to trade like a bank stock, buy it instead! I thought I would load up as it approaches RSI=30 again, this has always paid off. It stopped just before my price so I killed the order tonight and I'll go at it again tomorrow. The Bollinger Bands are at 6.85/shr so now is the time to jump back in. Good luck!
    Again, thanks for the supporting words Morgan. I've been with this stock since late 2012, and while it's taken a long time, and many, many bumps along the turnaround road, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel for BlackBerry, and that's helping me stay positive.

From what I've learned over my few years of investing, it's never smart or objective to get emotional over the stock price. Have a reason behind why you're investing into a company. If it's no longer meeting your original thesis, instead of getting mad or frustrated, vote with your money, and find an investment opportunity that fits.
    Mr BBRY, Corbu, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    03-02-17 02:23 AM
    Again, thanks for the supporting words Morgan. I've been with this stock since late 2012, and while it's taken a long time, and many, many bumps along the turnaround road, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel for BlackBerry, and that's helping me stay positive.

From what I've learned over my few years of investing, it's never smart or objective to get emotional over the stock price. Have a reason behind why you're investing into a company. If it's no longer meeting your original thesis, instead of getting mad or frustrated, vote with your money, and find an investment opportunity that fits.
    Well said, RPanda!

I'm with you and Morgan and I'm loading up as we near the bottom of the B-Bands. Yes, its quite discouraging to watch the stock perform this poorly while the rest of the market continues to set record highs, but I believe any successful investor needs to stay true to their investment strategy in order to succeed.

I was recently reading a few pieces of investment advise from the great Warren Buffet and thought I'd share at a time when this thread might need a few words of encouragement...

1) "Fundamentals can take years to impact a stock’s price... and only patient investors are rewarded. Finally, trading activity is the enemy of investment returns...generally better off to “buy right and sit tight.”

2) "Most news is noise, not news... As investors, we need to ask ourselves if a news item truly impacts our company’s long-term earnings power. If the answer is no, we should probably do the opposite of whatever the market is doing"

3) "Know the difference between price and value... stock prices are inherently more volatile than underlying business fundamentals. In other words, a company’s stock price was (temporarily) separated from its underlying business value. Investors need to distinguish between price and value, concentrating their efforts on high quality companies trading at the most reasonable prices today."

4) "The best moves are usually boring... There is no need to try and be a hero or impress anyone with our investments. Boring can be beautiful."

5) "Only listen to those you know and trust... Many finance “gurus” and talking heads are in the business of getting eyeballs to sell more advertisements, making sensationalist claims to gain new subscribers, or convincing investors to place trades in order to gain a commission. None of these activities benefit individual investors, and self-proclaimed “experts” are generally no better than we are at predicting the future. They simply must play the role of Mr. Confident to benefit their own self-interests... I urge investors to stay focused on the facts, recognize the amount of randomness involved in investing, set realistic expectations, and stay the course."
    I wish all OG's in this thread a very successful and prosperous investing future and more importantly, happiness and fulfillment in their personal lives. Cheers, Gang!
    Superfly_FR, Corbu, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    03-02-17 04:19 AM
    Hurry, seems you're not alone [I wish I could ... alas, I'm already breaking my rules : loan (rate<3.5%) instead of sale (loss: 15%)] ! GL !!!!!

ZAK's New Strong Buy Stocks for February 28th

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg
    New Strong Buy Stocks for February 28th - Nasdaq.com
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    03-02-17 06:46 AM
    Some Radar Love...
    03-02-17 12:15 PM
    03-02-17 02:01 PM
    As part of the firm’s efforts to cut costs and shift employees from BlackBerry devices to personal mobile phones, it announced a new companywide data and voice reimbursement policy that began March 1 and will take full effect in coming months, according to an internal memo seen by Bloomberg.
    Just thought that was interesting.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...th-10-for-data
    rarsen likes this.
    03-02-17 03:31 PM
    BlackBerry’s M&A head Jim Mackey left company in February - The Globe and Mail

Jim Mackey, BlackBerry Ltd’s head of corporate development and strategy, left the technology company in mid-February, he said on Thursday, leaving a leadership gap as it transitions to software from smartphone hardware.

“It is true I left BlackBerry as of Feb. 13,” Mackey, who was executive vice president, executive operations, said in a LinkedIn message in response to a Reuters inquiry.

He did not give a reason and could not be reached for further comment.

BlackBerry, which in late 2013 issued a press release on the hiring of Mackey, did not announce his departure. Chief Operating Officer Marty Beard, in an interview on Thursday, declined to comment.

BlackBerry spurned its own operating system in favor of Alphabet Inc’s Android in late 2015 and signed deals late last year to license its security and productivity software to three manufacturers which are now building BlackBerry-branded devices.

Mackey worked directly with BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen, navigating the purchase and integration of a string of acquisitions and the signing of major partnership agreements.

Beard said in the interview that the company had largely completed its software portfolio and needed to push hard to win more customers, including by adding partners.

“The next part of it is the channel,” Beard said. “You can’t do it only direct, you need partners that fill in the gaps.”

“The biggest issue we have is not getting invited to the table because the customer doesn’t know that BlackBerry is doing that. That’s the challenge.”

In 2015 BlackBerry bought data synchronization company WatchDox and emergency communications company AtHoc for undisclosed amounts and paid $425-million to acquire former rival Good Technology Corp.

The businesses have been integrated into a broader security software portfolio that is key to BlackBerry’s future after losing its market-leading position in handsets to Apple Inc and Android-based devices.
    rarsen likes this.
    03-02-17 04:02 PM
    BlackBerry's software shift '100 per cent complete,' but branding challenge remains - Business - CBC News

COO Marty Beard: Company must work to change perception

Blackberry's shift from smartphone maker to software company is complete but branding remains challenging for the company with a legacy in hardware design, says one of its top executives.

Chief operating officer Marty Beard said that while the technology firm is "100 per cent complete" in its transformation, changing perceptions about BlackBerry remains an obstacle.

"Biggest challenge?" Beard said Thursday in an interview. "You've got decades, literally, of a brand associated primarily with smartphones — we created that space."

All that remains of its former empire is some of its newest smartphone devices, including the DTEK50 and DTEK60, which it continues to sell until inventory runs out.

Focus on connectivity, car software

The Waterloo, Ont.-based firm announced last September that it would stop making phones after struggling with profitability as Apple and others dominated the market, and instead focus on its growing software business.

Beard said BlackBerry's efforts now centre on what it sees as a significant trend, connectivity, and securing all the devices consumers and businesses hook up to their Internet network, like cellphones, tablets and wearables.

One burgeoning market the company feels poised to capture is self-driving vehicles.

Currently, its QNX software — basically, an operating system for a car's applications, like its acoustics and infotainment system — operates in more than 60 million vehicles. Last December, that division opened a research centre for autonomous cars in Ottawa where developers are working to create secure software.

Security is a huge concern for the industry, said Beard, pointing out the potential for hackers to remotely take control of a self-driving vehicle.

"Obviously that's a life or death situation," he said. "Security becomes just paramount."

Building on a reputation for security

Beard believes BlackBerry's reputation for developing secure software positions it as a leader in that space — and the company has had to amp up their marketing efforts to get the word out.

The key is being consistent and clear about the new BlackBerry, he said, though that becomes complicated when, like last weekend, a new BlackBerry-branded smartphone is released.

Last Saturday, TCL Communication Technology Holdings Ltd. revealed the KEYone, a new phone under a partnership with BlackBerry. The deal allows TCT to design, manufacture and sell BlackBerry-branded cellphones that use the technology firm's software.

BlackBerry receives a commission for each phone sold, Beard said, so it wants the device to be phenomenally successful. But it's a brand challenge to ensure everyone understands BlackBerry only makes the software inside the phone, rather than the phone itself, he added.

Despite this, the company is clearly excited about its new direction.

"It's sort of the first inning of the baseball game," Beard said of the growing connectivity trend BlackBerry intends to capitalize on.
    03-02-17 04:05 PM
    "You gave us a great example of where all of this could go here. Citrix has revenue growth of only 4%, their gross margins are like BB, 81%, but their S G & A comes in at 46% which is huge to manage. The end result is a very mature 10% operating line. Despite the slow growth, they carry a huge "software" P/E!"

I tracked down the Citrix comment and in that case I was referring to how well Citrix converts S, G and A to the bottom line. This is where BlackBerry is far more dynamic in their ability to hold superior margins, less costs. The growth just isn't there for Citrix and it is quite the job to turn a profit on the basis of their business model. BlackBerry can retain far more revenue as a software licensing model less HW. We were talking about P/E ratios and Citrix carries a 30/1 ratio with income and BlackBerry will have little trouble carrying that same ratio in its sector with a real EPS to back it up. Couple that with superior growth and I can see BBRY doing very well down the road. I think this is what Prem Watsa sees going forward too. It's just too early to pull a part the balance sheet and income statement for BB at this stage, we need a couple of more quarters to get to where the company needs to be to grow the business, AND, analyse it properly. I can tell you Chen has his hands full in the next Q/Year End when it comes time to talk about forecasts for the following year.
    Thank you! I've been (re-) reading your comments.. while going back to BlackBerry's financials and the earnings transcript to make more sense of it all. It's very helpful, so thanks again. I'll probably get back to you in a few days, or definitely when the next earnings results are announced :-) hopefully I haven't been asking the same questions, just in different ways, because that could very well be the case. Take care

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 04:15 PM
113,256 ... 40464047404840494050 ...