View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Is it just my CB app, or have the 'likes' been disabled? I don't mind, but I hope the regular posters will continue to share their information and ideas.. even without a tangible audience

Thanks again Morgan!

Posted via CB10
    Think they are moving over to the newer system they had been testing.... If you're on Android, download the newly updated CB App. If your on BB10..... add it to the growing list of less functional apps.
    StormieTwo likes this.
    02-17-17 02:24 PM
    Is it possible that the recent employee lawsuit reveals the material significance associated with the deal with Ford and thus the sudden rise of share price today?

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-17-17 02:53 PM
    02-17-17 03:39 PM
    For those who would like to know more about the Nokia lawsuit, here is the 96 page complaint (PDF):
    https://regmedia.co.uk/2017/02/17/blackberryvnokia.pdf

Happy reading!
    02-17-17 07:27 PM
    In the "it's been a while" section ...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg

Seems to me it had ben stuck @ 7.5 for ages ...
    Corbu, La Emperor, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    02-18-17 11:38 AM
    OT:
    Meanwhile, history being made.

02-19-17 01:58 PM
    So cool. It makes you think it's CGI.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, Corbu, La Emperor and 1 others like this.
    02-19-17 02:38 PM
    For those with a general interest in tracking Prem Watsa's Koldings, FWIW from a Seeking Alpha article:

Tracking Prem Watsa's Fairfax Financial Holdings Portfolio - Q4 2016 Update - Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. (OTCMKTS:FRFHF) | Seeking Alpha
    "BlackBerry Inc.: BBRY is Watsa's largest position at ~28% of the US long portfolio. The stake was first purchased in 2010 at around $50 for 2M shares. Since then, the position was aggressively built up to 46.7M shares (~9% of the business). His cost basis is ~$17, and the stock currently trades at $7.49. There has only been very minor activity in the last two years.
    Note: In Q4 2013, Fairfax co-sponsored a cash infusion of $1B through convertible debentures ($10 conversion price earning 6% interest); they financed $500M of that transaction, and the remaining was funded by a consortium of other investment funds. The implied dilution takes their ownership up to ~16.5% of the business."
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-2016-q4-prem-watsa-06657-14875751836364462_origin.jpg
    02-20-17 09:21 AM
    From the Security file:

Yahoo Reportedly Isn't Deleting Customer Email Accounts
    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ya...164420570.html
    "Users have been attempting to close down their accounts for good following a number of massive breaches suffered by the company that have put user information at risk. Last year, the company confirmed that more than one billion accounts were stolen during a database breach that took place in 2013. It also disclosed another 500 million accounts were compromised in a 2014 hack. A 2013 hack of Yahoo-owned Tumblr also exposed 65 million accounts."
    02-20-17 09:59 AM
    02-20-17 01:12 PM
    Since then, the position was aggressively built up to 46.7M shares (~9% of the business). His cost basis is ~$17, and the stock currently trades at $7.49.
    Oh, that's why he's not willing to risk $350M to just to keep building and marketing BlackBerry handsets even though he's a big fan of the smartphones.
    02-20-17 02:43 PM
    For those with a general interest in tracking Prem Watsa's Koldings, FWIW from a Seeking Alpha article:

Tracking Prem Watsa's Fairfax Financial Holdings Portfolio - Q4 2016 Update - Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. (OTCMKTS:FRFHF) | Seeking Alpha
    "BlackBerry Inc.: BBRY is Watsa's largest position at ~28% of the US long portfolio. The stake was first purchased in 2010 at around $50 for 2M shares. Since then, the position was aggressively built up to 46.7M shares (~9% of the business). His cost basis is ~$17, and the stock currently trades at $7.49. There has only been very minor activity in the last two years.
    Note: In Q4 2013, Fairfax co-sponsored a cash infusion of $1B through convertible debentures ($10 conversion price earning 6% interest); they financed $500M of that transaction, and the remaining was funded by a consortium of other investment funds. The implied dilution takes their ownership up to ~16.5% of the business."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016 Q4 Prem Watsa 06657-14875751836364462_origin.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	417785
    Wonder what it was... was Prem a BlackBerry fan? Was it a Canadian thing? Whatever it was he made a bad move with BlackBerry, and to protect it he has been one of the key players in getting Chien and the needed Cash to allow BlackBerry a chance at finding a new life as a software company.
    02-20-17 02:48 PM
    Wonder what it was... was Prem a BlackBerry fan? Was it a Canadian thing? Whatever it was he made a bad move with BlackBerry, and to protect it he has been one of the key players in getting Chien and the needed Cash to allow BlackBerry a chance at finding a new life as a software company.
    RFP and TorStar shows its a Prem thing.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-17 03:48 PM
    Perhaps he has a little longer term vision than you do.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-17 11:06 PM
    Reading material partly explaining why possibly, a smart CEO is concentrating company's strengths in Software and recognized established expertise in Security, with less of main concentration on the Hardware handset portion. A partial opinion indicating evolving changes in the Market.

Forget Apple vs. Samsung. There's no stopping China in the smartphone war | ZDNet
    morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    02-21-17 09:41 AM
    We seem to be drifting from the truth regarding Watsa's investment in BlackBerry over the years. When he purchased the first 50 MM bucks worth of stock (2 MM shares) the operating income (IBT) for RIM was:

2007 – $857m
    2008 – $1,818m
    2009 – $2,800m
    2010 – $3,267m
    2011 – $4,644m

Those were operating income numbers, not gross revenues so you can forgive Watsa for wanting in on some of that action. At that time, they were talking about a dividend to help disperse some of that money. Then the revenues started to dive and they began what would be a long list of special, one time charges for the tablet and old HW inventory. The stock dropped into the teens, not only did Watsa average down, so did the co-founder, Mike Lazaridis, at that time neither of them thought RIM was in trouble.

It wasn't until there was a change in direction with the board and large shareholders that the founders stepped aside, Heins came in and they launched the Z10. At that time, it was thought that the Z10 was the phone that would stabilize the company. Revenues were huge up to that point, unit sales were still not alarming and the company looked cheap at $ 12.00/shr and climbing to $ 18.00/shr.

So you can't bash him for wanting to get his money back here. We all know what happened next, the Z10 was a flop, Heins got the boot and the stock tanked on the right-downs.

The SA article doesn't mention his stock purchases, nor does it get his average right either. Watsa actually purchased far more shares than stated, a total of 52 MM shares with some in the low $ 7.00 range. Still, he was under water in the investment and had to think of a way to protect his investment so when the company went up for sale, he lowered his cost basis accordingly. When the right price failed to come in, and he wan't able to buy RIM himself, he did the next best thing and refinanced the company, brought in Chen and took up enough convertible bonds to bring his average down even further. The stock stabilized, it then went back above the strike price of the bonds ($ 10/shr) and Watsa sold 9 MM shares at a nice profit to reduce his holding in BlackBerry.

Today he holds 16.9% of the company and has earned, the profit from the sale of the stock along with $ 30MM/year in bond interest, and, that special payment from BB for submitting his $ 500 in Convertible bonds, only to buy into the next allotment of new bonds. He managed to take a terrible position in a dying company and turn it to his favour. He earns interest on most of the investment, holds 43 MM shares which he can hedge or trade and tells all suitors who can buy the company and for how much. That is what a brilliant fund manager does to a sinking investment. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that his overall average in this trade is around $ 10.00/shr today and it drops with interest payments and whatever else he is up to with the shares themselves.

It is easy to read someone's half baked summary of trading and draw a conclusion but it doesn't make the article, or you right. Watsa did a fine job of saving his investment in a dying company. We wouldn't be here today if it weren't for his ability to size up the risk and develop a 5-year plan to turn the whole thing around. We are into the fourth year of that turn-around and I'm feeling good about where we are heading from here.
    Corbu, howarmat, rarsen and 21 others like this.
    02-21-17 09:51 AM
    Morgan...
    02-21-17 10:05 AM
    02-21-17 12:35 PM
    From the Security file, while personally remembering Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer unfortunate past error in judgement comments on BlackBerry:

Yahoo salvages Verizon deal with $350 million discount
    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ya...132756782.html
    02-21-17 05:26 PM
    Morgan...
    I second that!

Thanks Morgan!
    02-21-17 06:53 PM
    Can't remember if I posted this, last week:
    https://blog.bbm.com/2017/02/15/new-...rawal-service/
    New for Nigerians: Paycode Cardless Cash Withdrawal Service
    02-21-17 08:01 PM
    02-22-17 07:52 AM
    Too bad, [BB10] early to the marked, kinda ...
    re : APPS V.S Responsive Website (we called that HTML5 a few years ago).

"We were right ... a bit early, sorry."
    T. Heins [<= This is obviously not a real quote !]

[...], 66% of marketing professionals no longer include mobile apps within their mobile marketing campaigns. Instead, the majority (56%) are choosing a responsive mobile presence, with 80% of the top retail brands opting for a responsive ecommerce site.
    One in three UK retailers don’t have a mobile app - Episerver

Edit : to avoid OT sliding and read/discuss more => http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...iming-1100868/
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-22-17 at 10:24 AM.
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    02-22-17 09:57 AM
    Too bad, [BB10] early to the marked, kinda ...
    re : APPS V.S Responsive Website (we called that HTML5 a few years ago).
    100 top UK retail brands... Don't know the UK market, but here in the US if I look at a list of the top 100 retail brands here, I can understand why most of them would not find a mobile app useful... as few of their mobile apps are useful to the consumer, and few of them are places you would visit on a regular basis. Thing is "retail" has always had a difficult time creating an engaging app that really served a purpose.... The few successes, are usually ones that incorporate Reward and Payment systems into their apps. But it also requires a relationship that is common enough to make it worth some effort on the consumers part. While I do shop a Home Depot from time to time.. it's not enough for me to consider a app. On the other hand Target is usually a weekly visit, and between the CartWheel specials and the 5% RedCard savings - I use their app on every visit.

HTML5 sites probably are best for most retailers.... but then they have never been what the app market was about anyway.
    StormieTwo and CDM76 like this.
    02-22-17 10:33 AM
    @appdeveloper, have you had a chance to check out bbry's new SDKs? If so, does it look like BBRY will be able to grow their BBM business with this immediately or will it take a while like the IOT initiative and Radar?

Just curious.

TIA

Posted via CB10
    02-22-17 11:17 PM
113,250 ... 40424043404440454046 ...