View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Howdy Ho!

Just skimming this thread has me wondering about how a litigation award gets reflected on income for BlackBerry. Does anyone know how BlackBerry claims this at ER, since this isn't the first time they have cashed in on lawsuits.
    I am pleased to see BlackBerry protecting itself and shareholders against pick-pockets! No shame in that.

Also, I have been checking out the Inside BlackBerry blog and am seeing a nice tight (tight like a tiger) ecosystem 'brewing'. Very nice indeed!

I am waiting to see what comes out of this Rudy Giuliani security gig for BlackBerry too. That would be E-UGE for BlackBerry exposure. Especially if Trump mentions it on the air.

Feelin' good about all that is happening. I also got a pleasant surprise to see my other stock SWIR finally took off. Congrats to any other holders here.

BM out!
    02-14-17 09:13 PM
    Only 1.45m shares traded yesterday. nasdaq.com history shows it to be the lowest in the 10 year history they have. Guess everyone has long since placed their bets and now its just a wait and see game.
    Superfly_FR, rarsen, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    02-14-17 10:52 PM
    From the general Security files:

Most US firms would pay to avoid data breach shame going public | ZDNet
    Ransomware: Should you pay up? | ZDNet
    "Bitdefender's survey, conducted in October last year by iSense Solutions, also suggests that up to 34 percent of companies in the US may have been breached in the past 12 months -- and the majority, 74 percent, do not know how it happened.
    The willingness to pay a vast sum of money highlights just how much devastation a successful cyberattack can cause. A recent example of just how seriously data breaches can impact a businesses' future is the buyout deal between Yahoo and Verizon. In October last year, Verizon said that plans to buy the tech giant for $4.83 billion could be materially damaged after Yahoo admitted to a data breach which took place in 2014 and exposed 500 million user accounts."

Researchers discover over 170 million exposed IoT devices in major US cities
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/researc...24037827013043
    Last edited by rarsen; 02-15-17 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added IoT info
    02-15-17 09:48 AM
    Hi Morgan. What could we expect for the stock with such low volume? I believe we've been at all time lows with regards to volume for quite some time now..

Posted via CB10
    02-15-17 03:33 PM
    https://blog.bbm.com/2017/02/15/new-...rawal-service/
    New for Nigerians: Paycode Cardless Cash Withdrawal Service
    02-15-17 04:55 PM
    Hi Morgan,

Related to OT SPHS, can you please put light on it, whats happening with it.

Was reading, In 2009 topsalysin was licensed to John Hopkins for the treatment of symptoms of BPH. Can they outsource trial to UVIC without breaking the license agreement?
    02-15-17 05:04 PM
    I'm not sure I totally understood the changes to BBM. I wonder what if any money will come to BBRY.
    https://blog.bbm.com/2016/12/22/look...-year-for-bbm/

By far the biggest change of the year for us has been our transition out of BlackBerry. The new BBM is its own entity, a subsidiary of Emtek, Indonesia’s leading digital media content company.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-17 05:03 AM
    And the answer to how much money BBRY will see is...
    https://blog.bbm.com/2016/10/25/emte...th-blackberry/

First, there has been some confusion about the terms of the deal, which has been reported to be worth US$207.5 million over six years. This has given the impression that this partnership will end after six years, which is not the case.

That works out to $8mm per quarter.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-17 05:16 AM
    I thought this was a very interesting article and speaks to a lot of what we speak about here, so sharing with you all

https://medium.freecodecamp.com/ill-...e5f#.jokhg7g68

A few months ago I wrote about how you can encrypt your entire life in less than an hour. Well, all the security in the world can’t save you if someone has physical possession of your phone or laptop, and can intimidate you into giving up your password.

And a few weeks ago, that’s precisely what happened to a US citizen returning home from abroad.
    kadakn01 likes this.
    02-16-17 08:14 AM
    Hi Morgan. What could we expect for the stock with such low volume? I believe we've been at all time lows with regards to volume for quite some time now..

Posted via CB10
    Good morning _dimi_ !!

We haven't seen trading like this short of including pre-holiday or shortened trading session volumes. There are some reasons, first, the news has been positive, the market is at record highs on the backs of a narrow number of big DOW/S&P stocks and we are held up by that. Even the sector is doing well here as the Tier 1 stocks recover from the election. What's in it for BlackBerry? The stock has a perfect market to release positive news into, the Bollinger Bands were down to a very tight $ .35/shr spread indicating that the stock was about to make a move, and, that move is up lately. The spread is widening and the stock is still below its RSI=70 level so we do have a bit of room to go higher here. News trumps everything technically speaking and in order to move higher than the RSI=70 level, we would need some news. And so I like the stock based upon the positive market, the news lately from the company itself and its ability to focus on everything but HW.

One of my major concerns in this market was the speed at which Trump was announcing changes, he could easily say something that rocks the market in general here but as the days go on, I can see that he is losing steam and becoming more conciliatory about his ambitions. This is great news for this market and you can see that funds are being deployed every day now. Three weeks ago, he could have crushed the Canadian Prime Minister, instead, he welcomed him to the White House, so things are settling out in a very positive way. BBRY looks set to continue to move higher here but it isn't good enough to have the stock price push against the upper Bollinger Band without news. Hence we see the lower volumes in the stock as it approaches over bought in the short-term and there is nothing news related to take it into over bought status and hold that level. It makes sense to sell the stock at BB levels of over bought hoping to buy the stock back at a Standard Deviation of zero, so day trading is possible if you don't mind being out of the stock. The last few days I tried to trade it and failed due to the low volumes. I put 75,000 shares up at $ 7.45/shr, sold 40,000 of them and bought them back for $ 7.32/shr. It took me over three hours to sell that many shares so it wasn't worth it for me to trade the position. I, like most traders need volume to pull off a short term trade and it isn't there for me now. This is yet another reason why the volume is so low, it can't be traded at these levels of activity. Hope that helps!
    Corbu, La Emperor, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    02-16-17 09:27 AM
    Hi Morgan,

Related to OT SPHS, can you please put light on it, whats happening with it.

Was reading, In 2009 topsalysin was licensed to John Hopkins for the treatment of symptoms of BPH. Can they outsource trial to UVIC without breaking the license agreement?
    OT SPHS:

I'll mention briefly that the worldwide right to develop topsalysin was licensed FROM Johns Hopkins and UVIC not to either of them. They acquired the rights in 2004 for general prostrate cancer development, and in 2009, they added the rights for BPH, specifically, as well. (That might have been a typo on your part.) I haven't read the legal aspects of the agreement but I would assume that there was some additional data involved in the 2009 agreement pertinent to BPH itself.

In 2010, they sold the rights to develop the drug for commercial use in Japan for not only BPH but other forms of prostrate related cancers. In short, they held the worldwide rights to topsalysin and felt they could/needed to rise capital by selling a portion of those rights to Kissei. They can continue to do what they want with the marketing, distribution and development of this drug as they hold the sole rights to the drug. The million dollar question is how will they move forward with the development of the drug? It takes time and tons of capital to take a drug to the FDA and they need to figure out how this will play out. The stock is below its $ 4.00/shr stock option exercise level where they will receive an additional $ 25 MM dollars and it will remain there until they decide next steps. I can say that there is a tremendous value in having a treatment for BPH which includes a completed and significant Phase III study. When you add in two enlarged tumour ablation results out of 18 patients, well, that is amazing news for sure. This is a tiny company, it has proven results against a worldwide cancer problem and it's a matter of time before the company will announce plans to move forward with its development of the drug.
    La Emperor, Corbu, sidhuk and 6 others like this.
    02-16-17 10:01 AM
    And the answer to how much money BBRY will see is...
    https://blog.bbm.com/2016/10/25/emte...th-blackberry/

First, there has been some confusion about the terms of the deal, which has been reported to be worth US$207.5 million over six years. This has given the impression that this partnership will end after six years, which is not the case.

That works out to $8mm per quarter.
    So it's still not clear to me. Are you reading this as $8mm fixed licensing fee per quarter? So no growth potential for BBRY here for the next 6 years?
    02-16-17 10:06 AM
    So it's still not clear to me. Are you reading this as $8mm fixed licensing fee per quarter? So no growth potential for BBRY here for the next 6 years?
    I believe this is exactly what BlackBerry will be receiving over the course of the next six years of development of the BBM product offering for commercial use alone. I can't see how this partnership will extend much beyond Indonesia over the next six years but there was a comment made at the time of the deal to the effect that:

"BlackBerry will get a fee from the Indonesian company known as Emtek for each user on BBM it gets to show its content to. The deal initially focuses on Indonesia but has the potential to expand to other countries, Mackey said".

There must be an additional charge per user that isn't mentioned in the details of the agreement. It is this fee per user that allows BlackBerry to take the product to a greater market over time. And so in terms of accounting, they will show $ 8 MM per quarter at "some gross margin" that is yet to be determined. It all depends on how much BlackBerry will commit to the development of the product going forward. You can assume that Emtek and BlackBerry would protect their rights to future growth post the six year contract otherwise it would be impossible to renew a contract of this nature factoring in the worldwide growth wildcard. The key here is in the statement above.

I will say that I believe the contract gives Emtek access to the intellectual content of BBM for $ 207.5 MM at which time a pay per user basis is the only charge that Emtek is accountable for going past the 6 year time frame. The contract isn't for just 6 years, the payments are over that period, the per user portion of the contract is the only part left for Emtek to pay after that period. Hopefully this makes sense!
    Corbu, La Emperor, sidhuk and 8 others like this.
    02-16-17 10:59 AM
    It's been a while
    We broke the 6 million views guys
    Congrats and thanks to the inexhaustible contributors that kept this thread running, running and running now, before and will in the future (yes YOU !).
    You guys rock, hat off !

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg
    02-16-17 03:00 PM
    I believe this is exactly what BlackBerry will be receiving over the course of the next six years of development of the BBM product offering for commercial use alone. I can't see how this partnership will extend much beyond Indonesia over the next six years but there was a comment made at the time of the deal to the effect that:

"BlackBerry will get a fee from the Indonesian company known as Emtek for each user on BBM it gets to show its content to. The deal initially focuses on Indonesia but has the potential to expand to other countries, Mackey said".

There must be an additional charge per user that isn't mentioned in the details of the agreement. It is this fee per user that allows BlackBerry to take the product to a greater market over time. And so in terms of accounting, they will show $ 8 MM per quarter at "some gross margin" that is yet to be determined. It all depends on how much BlackBerry will commit to the development of the product going forward. You can assume that Emtek and BlackBerry would protect their rights to future growth post the six year contract otherwise it would be impossible to renew a contract of this nature factoring in the worldwide growth wildcard. The key here is in the statement above.

I will say that I believe the contract gives Emtek access to the intellectual content of BBM for $ 207.5 MM at which time a pay per user basis is the only charge that Emtek is accountable for going past the 6 year time frame. The contract isn't for just 6 years, the payments are over that period, the per user portion of the contract is the only part left for Emtek to pay after that period. Hopefully this makes sense!
    I think in Oct BBM Blog cleared up some on the confusion about Emtek.... basically that Emtek is responsible for BBM "consumer side of the business" globally (as in cost of operations, development.... things that cost BlackBerry money). https://blog.bbm.com/2016/10/25/emte...th-blackberry/

Besides in Dec one of the Emtek executives admitted that BBM was still losing market share, in some very key portions of the Indonesian population... There might very well be a "per user" fee in the contract, that get triggered once the active users grows above a certain agreed upon threshold. Back in June Makey might have taught that fresh eyes on the program might make that a possibility. And who knows, maybe Emtek comes up with something...
    02-16-17 03:07 PM
    02-16-17 04:22 PM
    It's been a while
    We broke the 6 million views guys
    Congrats and thanks to the inexhaustible contributors that kept this thread running, running and running now, before and will in the future (yes YOU !).
    You guys rock, hat off !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	526 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	417594
    5 years, 3 months, 2 weeks and still counting! This has to be the longest running thread on here!

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, Superfly_FR, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    02-16-17 04:29 PM
    Thanks Morgan!

Posted via CB10
    02-16-17 04:55 PM
    "The notice of claim said BlackBerry arranged to transfer those employees to Ford Canada in the fall of 2016, then*informed them that they*had resigned once they accepted employment with the company."

That's not so smart.. saving 20 million US dollars or less.. but demotivating to your former staff who are now working for your biggest partner in the auto industry, Ford.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-17 04:59 PM
    "The notice of claim said BlackBerry arranged to transfer those employees to Ford Canada in the fall of 2016, then*informed them that they*had resigned once they accepted employment with the company."

That's not so smart.. saving 20 million US dollars or less.. but demotivating to your former staff who are now working for your biggest partner in the auto industry, Ford.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dalinxz; 02-21-17 at 01:00 AM.
    02-16-17 09:33 PM
    Chen has been parting out BlackBerry all along
    Chen has been rationalizing a sprawling B.I company.
    Whatever the goal, it had to be done.
    Just look at the competitor's structures if you're unsure

* B.I : Before iPhone
    rarsen, Corbu, morganplus8 and 1 others like this.
    02-17-17 01:59 AM
    Thanks Morgan!

Posted via CB10
    No problem! Thought I would post a chart on BBRY as we aren't seeing them here any more:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-feb-16-2017.jpg

This chart identifies the narrow Bollinger Bands of a couple of weeks ago and it shows us that over the past 8 months, BBRY has become far less volatile and stable. We are trading within a very narrow range buffered by the upper and lower lines in red. At some point, we will break with this pattern and start a meaningful move. Apart from some talk about lawsuits, the news has been very positive and the general market accommodating too. It looks a bit toppy today and could drop all the way back to $ 7.00 on this cycle if the general market comes under some profit-taking. Support is at the 50-dma, the 200-dma and the zero line for the Bollinger Bands. A close below $ 7.30/shr will likely see it head for $ 7.00/shr. again.

As I have mentioned before, it is now very difficult to trade in any kind of volume so we are left with low volume TA moves while we await news. I have a trading account with BBRY it and a long term holding account and I'm trying to trade it out of pure boredom but the volumes just aren't there right now. I, like other traders, need some news similar to earnings to make a trade now. That's it!
    Corbu, rarsen, Superfly_FR and 7 others like this.
    02-17-17 07:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    I have two friends who worked for BB in this situation, and both said to me what happened was they were informed of the transfer, given a raise + 5 figure signing bonus, and told if they really didn't want it, they would find something internal for them. They were both concerned, but then when they saw the terms of the Ford offer thought they were more than fair.

Having recently been laid off and researching the rules, the purpose of severance isn't so much a payday, as it is to bridge the gap to new employment. Given that a job was prearranged, at better terms, doing almost exactly the same thing they were doing without so much of a change of work location (for my friends), along with an option not to take it, I'm not sure this is much more than greediness on the part of the employee. The other issue too is of course that by making such a stink over what might amount to a month or two's pay, you've permanently put your name in the media as a **** disturber. As it stands now, with BB getting hardware people off the payroll while simultaneously getting the employees better paying jobs doing similar work, seems like one of those rare situations where everyone comes out ahead.
    02-17-17 08:08 AM
    I have two friends who worked for BB in this situation, and both said to me what happened was they were informed of the transfer, given a raise + 5 figure signing bonus, and told if they really didn't want it, they would find something internal for them. They were both concerned, but then when they saw the terms of the Ford offer thought they were more than fair.

Having recently been laid off and researching the rules, the purpose of severance isn't so much a payday, as it is to bridge the gap to new employment. Given that a job was prearranged, at better terms, doing almost exactly the same thing they were doing without so much of a change of work location (for my friends), along with an option not to take it, I'm not sure this is much more than greediness on the part of the employee. The other issue too is of course that by making such a stink over what might amount to a month or two's pay, you've permanently put your name in the media as a **** disturber. As it stands now, with BB getting hardware people off the payroll while simultaneously getting the employees better paying jobs doing similar work, seems like one of those rare situations where everyone comes out ahead.
    Thanks for clearing that up. It gives a new perspective and definitely changes the story!

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor, rarsen and 3_M4N like this.
    02-17-17 11:26 AM
    Is it just my CB app, or have the 'likes' been disabled? I don't mind, but I hope the regular posters will continue to share their information and ideas.. even without a tangible audience

Thanks again Morgan!

Posted via CB10
    02-17-17 01:41 PM
113,256 ... 40414042404340444045 ...