View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Video:
    Rudy Giuliani partners with Blackberry CEO John Chen to combat cyber-attacks | On Air Videos | Fox Business

Rudy Giuliani partners with Blackberry CEO John Chen to combat cyber-attacks

Jan. 05, 2017 - 4:41 - Fmr. NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Blackberry CEO John Chen talk about their partnership to combat cyber threats during the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
    01-06-17 07:25 AM
    BlackBerry short numbers continue to fall. Just released TSX (Toronto) exchange numbers show a 10% decline in shorts from Dec 15 - Dec 31.

BlackBerry Ltd. BB-T

31-DEC-16

15-DEC-16

NET CHG

Corresponding time frame numbers for NASDAQ will be released in five days time on January 11th.
    01-06-17 07:55 AM
    Reminder:

10:15-11:15 AM
    Self-Driving Cars: New Rules of the Road, presented by Consumer Technology Association
    Moderator: Mike Snider, Reporter, USA Today
    Speaker: John Chen, Executive Chairman & CEO, BlackBerry

SuperSessions Live Stream - CES 2017
    01-06-17 11:06 AM
    Re - the recent sp...good opportunity to buy more at around $7...I've been adding lately.. .
    ZayDub, masterful, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    01-06-17 07:31 PM
    Video:
    Fox News
    Giuliani: America has neglected hacking threats for years
    Giuliani: America has neglected hacking threats for years | On Air Videos | Fox News
    rarsen, sidhuk, masterful and 5 others like this.
    01-07-17 01:24 PM
    01-07-17 01:34 PM
    Instagram:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-15802754_1629497104024683_121862932450508800_n.jpg

blackberry Connected and autonomous cars are the most exciting developments in the automotive industry, and BlackBerry’s end-to-end platform is driving functionality and security in these amazing new machines. Check out this stunning digital instrument panel and infotainment system running on the same chip in this Jaguar XJ, one of the concept cars we’re showing at CES this week. Learn more about how we’re innovating in automobiles: If you’re at CES in Las Vegas, be sure to visit our QNX team’s booth. For everyone else, be sure to click the link in our bio to see what QNX is rolling out at CES 2017. #TeamBlackBerry #QNX #CES2017
    01-07-17 06:03 PM
    01-07-17 08:18 PM
    01-08-17 07:26 AM
    01-08-17 12:12 PM
    Happy Friday, gang.

I've been wrong about this before, but I'd say Wall St is running out of reasons to suppress this stock price. I think good things are in store for 2017. This is my non-scientific biased opinion. As most of us know there are so many other factors to consider here including market conditions. It will be interesting but I'm staying optimistic. Good luck all.

PS - It's been a while since we've heard from Mr. M8 and I'd love to know his thoughts on what its going to take to turn this puppy around and when we might expect that to happen. Thanks guys for the great consistent content on this thread. Keep up the good work. Peace out!
    Well, you pretty much summed up the pros and cons of this trade for 2017! Yes, SAF is a negative, so is declining revenues and the lack of clarity regarding software/services role in the future of BlackBerry. Many think that when you pull the $ 40 MM per quarter that Good Tech brings to the bottom line, BB is not growing the business organically, or quite as well as Chen implies they are. We need to get YoY and QoQ comparisons looking better, to see HW add to the bottom line and for Chen to guide us to superior software/services margins in Fiscal 2018. It wouldn't hurt to learn that QNX is now a money maker as well going forward. Still, I'm hearing nothing but positive things coming out of BB, its as if they have turned all of their attention to the marketing of the Brand now and all other distractions have gone away. They announce partnerships on a monthly basis now, possibly weekly for that matter. I'm just hearing good things from them now. Chen has 2 more years to achieve his turn-around goals and no one is jumping ship from the original group that placed him in office.

Sure, the DOW Jones rallied over 2,000 points before BB stated their Q3 results, by then, the DOW was faltering and backing up from an over-bought condition. This happens, Funds close their books, any Fund that didn't want to show BBRY in their portfolio dumped it. It will be interesting to see what institutions have done in December.

I don't see anything changing, I'm looking for a strong rally in the stock going forward and if Chen can say something more positive, we might not look back again this coming year. I like the trade, I'm in it for 2 more years and I want to be paid for my patience like so many others here. Best of luck to everyone in 2017.
    01-08-17 01:46 PM
    Obama Says He Underestimated Threat Posed by Cyberattacks - WSJ

WASHINGTON—In the wake of a report accusing Russia of orchestrating a campaign to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, President Barack Obama acknowledged that his administration hadn’t adequately recognized the threat posed to democratic societies by hacking and misinformation.
    01-08-17 01:55 PM
    John Chen: We stopped building BlackBerrys to bring more to market | IT PRO

CEO explains why ceasing production will see more BlackBerry phones than ever

When BlackBerry announced that it was stopping production of phones, many people took that to mean one thing - the end of the iconic BlackBerry devices so many people have come to love. But that's certainly not how John Chen, the company's quiet-spoken yet determined CEO, sees it.

"What you're going to see over time is more phones, more BlackBerry phones out there, because I [will] have multiple parties creating and distributing phones," he told IT Pro, in a roundtable interview at CES 2017. "I also have local parties in the local spaces where I normally can't compete."

Chen pointed to Indonesia, claiming that BlackBerry currently has "about 50 million users" there, giving the company a 20% market share. That's why a local carrier - the number two in the market - was keen to license the BlackBerry name and sell its own phones.

And, as has been well documented, TCL - the company behind Alcatel - will be building the final BlackBerry-designed phone, with the "Mercury" welcoming back the front-mounted keyboard that's so strongly associated with the BlackBerry name.

The final piece of the jigsaw before BlackBerry phones (as Chen hopes) become a worldwide force once more is the trio of Bangladesh, India and Sri Lanka, with Chen claiming a deal for a local builder is on its way.

So why not build the phones itself? According to Chen, it comes down to profit margins. "We put so much money into IP creation and innovation that I'm not set up to take 1% or 2% [profit] on the hardware side."

"I don't want to make [phones] anymore," he added. "Making phones is highly intensive capital, lots of heavy lifting, a lot of hard work and very little margin. This is like us starting a PC company today."

"Instead I want to take advantage of local distribution," Chen said, explaining that his Indonesian partner "has more stores than Apple could ever build in Indonesia".

With this model, BlackBerry keeps producing phones without the risk or financial burden of making the phones itself, but pockets the licensing fee for its software and renting out its brand name.

"I still manage the experience and the security because I still have the software," Chen added.

Partnership with ex-New York City Mayor Guiliani

Chen shared the roundtable with Rudy Guiliani, the outspoken former Mayor of New York City. Earlier, the two had announced a new partnership where BlackBerry would supply the mobile security intelligence to Giuliani Partners, the politician's cybersecurity consultancy firm targeting government and enterprises. Chen said the deal ties into his argument that the BlackBerry business can start moving beyond hardware devices and into broader areas of security.

"We also have [a] security brand, Secure by BlackBerry, which could go beyond phones - into things like Internet of Things," said Chen.

By moving out of phone production, "I can get out of the process and the capital and the cash required to keep the handset going, only on the software, and move more of that investment into the cybersecurity side or the automotive side."
    01-08-17 08:43 PM
    morganplus8, rarsen, W Hoa and 9 others like this.
    01-08-17 08:47 PM
    Prior post worth repeating for those who can't see the Twitter posts through the CB application.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-c1rsuwluaaam_r2.jpg

Steve Cistulli ‏@SteveCistulli
    Honored to have the #BlackBerryMobile "Mercury" named an @engadget Best of #CES2017 Finalist. Looking forward to what's to come at MWC.
    01-08-17 09:08 PM
    Hey friends! I hope you all are having a happy, healthy and prosperous new year! I just wanted to share with you all that I finally accepted a Financial Advisor position! The job starts in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to learning more and the new opportunity.

All I need now is for the BlackBerry stock to appreciate significantly and all will be right with the World cheers!

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 09:54 AM
    Congratulations Zaydub. Lots of hard work on your end to get to this point.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, ZayDub and 5 others like this.
    01-09-17 11:06 AM
    Congratulations Zaydub. Lots of hard work on your end to get to this point.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you DREXcb! You are absolutely right! Thank you every body. I can't wait til we have our $20 and/or $100 party lol

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 11:45 AM
    BlackBerry partner says new tie-up won't be another Microsoft/Nokia debacle | TechRadar

Expect "no compromises" from upcoming BlackBerry, and many more purpose-built devices in future

The CEO of the company that's bringing BlackBerry phones to the world has told TechRadar the new venture won’t suffer from the same problems as the ill-fated Microsoft-Nokia tie-up.

Chinese phone manufacturer TCL – the fourth-largest in the world thanks to the sales under its Alcatel One Touch brand – struck a long-term deal to produce devices under the BlackBerry brand, and launched an all-new BlackBerry device at CES with a physical keyboard and a distinctly business look.

But this is a hardware manufacturer tying up with a software company, leveraging a once-great brand; could this be Microsoft-Nokia all over again?

“[The TCL-BlackBerry] is a fundamentally different situation,” said Nicolas Zibell, chief executive of TCL Communication at CES 2017, citing Windows Phone as the main obstacle to Microsoft and Nokia’s failed partnership.

“Microsoft imposed its OS, which was small-scale in terms of users, apps and the ecosystem, on a brand that had not been successful in the smartphone space,” he said.

Until that deal, Nokia had only been successful in first-gen smartphones running on Symbian. It's a deal that seems mirrored here, where TCL is estimated by Futuresource Consulting to hold 2.7% of the global smartphone market in 2016, shipping 44 million units.

“This deal is very different because we are using Android as a pure experience, we don’t make compromises on the app store, and we are bringing unique security solutions and hardware innovations,” added Zibell.

He's hoping that the licensing deal with BlackBerry creates not risk but cost efficiency for both companies. Ultimately, an expansion of the BlackBerry brand is on the cards if successful, where cost-effective labor is combined with BlackBerry's secure servers, which are still a powerful lure in the world of enterprise.

TCL has work to do. In 2016 BlackBerry had just 0.2% of the global market, selling 2.5 million phones according to Futuresource Consulting.

Just how hungry the market is for a phone with a physical keyboard remains to be seen, and it’s not certain that the loyalty of BlackBerry fans can be counted on – although Zibell is optimistic.

“We know there are people that hang on to a BlackBerry phone longer than most people hang on to their phones,” he said, citing the keyboard as a critical part of the appeal for many.

That said, the BlackBerry brand under TCL won’t only be about physical keyboards. The first products from the tie-up, the DTEK50 and DTEK60, both push ‘most secure phone in the world’ claims but are touchscreen only.

“There will be more purpose-built devices in future,” said Zibell. “Not everything has to look like a black piece of glass, and we can bring something different.”

A bezel-less BlackBerry?

He also suggested that in the future there would be more affordable phones with borderless, bezel-less displays, and that in the longer term the market will see a lot of innovation in AI and voice interaction, which will reduce the importance of the display.

Voice commands could replace almost every action, from page navigation to actions within games, and even make apps defunct.

In many ways, that starts with the forthcoming (unnamed) BlackBerry phone, whose keyboard can be used to navigate the screen just by lightly brushing it with fingers.

It's simultaneously retro and cutting-edge (Zibell told us it would work in an all-new way compared to previous BlackBerry phones like the Passport). As such, there’s no doubt about the target market for this leather-backed device.

“BlackBerry owners want everything you need for a modern business life – security, a long-lasting device, one that’s not as slippery as a soap bar and needs a case, a real camera and real apps,” said Zibell.

“One of the reasons BlackBerry has lost some of its appeal is that people had to compromise between good email and security, and they had to sacrifice a good web browsing experience and apps,” said Zibell.

“We’re bringing back a ‘no compromises’ approach.”
    01-09-17 12:25 PM
    01-09-17 07:43 PM
    Hey friends! I hope you all are having a happy, healthy and prosperous new year! I just wanted to share with you all that I finally accepted a Financial Advisor position! The job starts in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to learning more and the new opportunity.

All I need now is for the BlackBerry stock to appreciate significantly and all will be right with the World cheers!

Posted via CB10
    Ok Mister, that is great news.
    Just remember that if you end up rubbing shoulders with the Wall Street stock tycoons, you must report back here with you findings, and keep us at an advantage; of course, within your legal obligations.

Oh, and don't get any poo on yourself when under the company of said tycoons.

Say, my 'like button' is dun' broked. I guess the mods got tired of naming M8 and Corbu with the 'most liked' throughout the year, or to use proper terminology around here, most liked YoY.
    01-09-17 08:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Congrats ZayDub !
    01-10-17 03:24 AM
    I guess the mods got tired of naming M8 and Corbu with the 'most liked' throughout the year, or to use proper terminology around here, most liked YoY.
    No, no ... could be something with your cookies or a long lasting auto-login.
    I've been through this several times, usually a good logout + cookie/cache cleanup solve the problem.
    If not, let me know

Cheers
    SF
    01-10-17 03:28 AM
    01-10-17 04:48 AM
    01-10-17 08:30 AM
113,252 ... 40304031403240334034 ...