1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    12-14-16 04:54 PM
    OT: Apple pulls watchOS update after reports of bricked watches

https://www.cnet.com/videos/apple-pu...icked-watches/
    masterful, sidhuk, alludba and 4 others like this.
    12-14-16 07:46 PM
    Global $5.32 Billion Mobile Device Management Market 2016-2021: Increasing Smartphone and Tablet Penetration, Strong Adoption of BYOD Policies Drives the Market - Research and Markets

http://security.itbusinessnet.com/ar...arkets-4720620

The Mobile Device Management (MDM) market size to grow from USD 1.69 Billion in 2016 to USD 5.32 Billion by 2021, at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 25.8%

Some of the major technology vendors include VMware AirWatch (U.S.), BlackBerry Limited (Canada), Citrix Systems Inc. (U.S.), IBM Corporation (U.S.), and MobileIron Inc. (U.S.).
    theRock1975, Corbu, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    12-14-16 07:56 PM
    Pretty pessimistic analyst report from Creidt Suisse describing Blackberry MDM software and it's Good aquisition "average". Too bad.... I feel the outlook for Blackberry has never been better. Too bad negative press like this persists. Text below:

Analyst Actions: Credit Suisse Previews Blackberry's Q3 Earnings Forecasts EPS of US$0.03; Maintains Underperform, US$6 TP

01:44 PM EST, 12/14/2016 (MT Newswires) -- Blackberry reports Q3 2017 results on December 20th. Credit Suisse is looking for revenue of $304.0 million (-45.4% yoy/-13.6% qoq) with GM of 61.2%, driving the brokerage's EPS estimate of -$0.03, compared to consensus of $332 million of sales and EPS of -$0.01. (All in US$).
    "Long Term, we see SAF and hardware revenue going to zero, with the discontinuation of in-house Blackberry hardware."
    Maintain TP of US$6, reiterate Underperform.
    Long Term base case EPS of $0.24 -- to arrive at this figure, Credit Suisse says it has "generously assumed" that software revenues grow 13%/12% in FY18E/19E, while service and hardware revenues go away, reaching a Long Term revenue potential of $850 million by FY19E. Credit Suisse notes that BlackBerry's software portfolio is average, at best, and has been built up by acquiring average software assets. It maintain that its software revenue estimates are generous, given the quality of some of the acquisitions made in the Software segment, especially Good Technology. Credit Suisse also notes a highly competitive Mobile Device Management market. Forecasting software revenue of $171million (+5.9% yoy/+9.6% qoq).
    12-14-16 09:45 PM
    LearnBonds
    BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) Releases �Secure� Platform for Enterprise of Things

http://learnbonds.com/132645/blackbe...cure-platform/
    12-14-16 10:15 PM
    Softgames Brings Instant Games to BBM in Canada

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016...bm-canada.html
    Last edited by fanBBRY; 12-14-16 at 10:33 PM.
    sidhuk, rarsen, masterful and 1 others like this.
    12-14-16 10:18 PM
    Pretty pessimistic analyst report from Creidt Suisse describing Blackberry MDM software and it's Good aquisition "average". Too bad.... I feel the outlook for Blackberry has never been better. Too bad negative press like this persists. Text below:

Analyst Actions: Credit Suisse Previews Blackberry's Q3 Earnings Forecasts EPS of US$0.03; Maintains Underperform, US$6 TP

01:44 PM EST, 12/14/2016 (MT Newswires) -- Blackberry reports Q3 2017 results on December 20th. Credit Suisse is looking for revenue of $304.0 million (-45.4% yoy/-13.6% qoq) with GM of 61.2%, driving the brokerage's EPS estimate of -$0.03, compared to consensus of $332 million of sales and EPS of -$0.01. (All in US$).
    "Long Term, we see SAF and hardware revenue going to zero, with the discontinuation of in-house Blackberry hardware."
    Maintain TP of US$6, reiterate Underperform.
    Long Term base case EPS of $0.24 -- to arrive at this figure, Credit Suisse says it has "generously assumed" that software revenues grow 13%/12% in FY18E/19E, while service and hardware revenues go away, reaching a Long Term revenue potential of $850 million by FY19E. Credit Suisse notes that BlackBerry's software portfolio is average, at best, and has been built up by acquiring average software assets. It maintain that its software revenue estimates are generous, given the quality of some of the acquisitions made in the Software segment, especially Good Technology. Credit Suisse also notes a highly competitive Mobile Device Management market. Forecasting software revenue of $171million (+5.9% yoy/+9.6% qoq).
    OT: Ha ha these investment banks are so reactive... they believe only after they see, flipping from super bear to super bull after results are announced

Goldman Sachs flips from copper super-bear to super-bull: Andy Home

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN14222V
    rarsen, sidhuk, Greened and 1 others like this.
    12-14-16 10:33 PM
    Globe delves into BlackBerry's patent accounting

2016-12-15 07:50 ET - In the News

The Globe and Mail reports in its Thursday edition that the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in June asked BlackBerry about the accounting for its patent transactions. The Globe's David Milstead writes that the SEC wanted to know why it seem that BlackBerry was recognizing all the revenue for multiyear, "perpetual" patent licensing agreements as soon as they were signed, rather than spreading out the revenue over the estimated life of the deal? BlackBerry's answer was that it only recognizes revenue if it has no future obligations to the buyer of the patent. What is curious about BlackBerry's response is that it concluded its answer with, "There are no future obligations associated with the company's existing perpetual licences." That suggests the company has not once struck a deal to sell a perpetual licence that included rights to technology upgrades. Mr. Milstead says do not assume that the typical BlackBerry licence is a continuing partnership. Instead, some of the arrangements may be representative of another kind of deal, in which a patent holder scours its blueprints and finds that another company has a product that is similar enough to merit a lawsuit, with the licensing deal precluding any legal action

Posted via CB10
    alludba likes this.
    12-15-16 09:04 AM
    OT:
    Yahoo and Other Breaches Drive Surge in Corporate Hacking Insurance - WSJ
    Cyberinsurance is the fastest-growing insurance product in America
    12-15-16 09:13 AM
    BlackBerry Secures Global Smart Phone Software and Brand Licensing Agreement with TCL Communication

December 15, 2016 11:00 ET

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Dec. 15, 2016) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB) and TCL Communication Technology Holdings Limited ("TCL Communication") today announced they have entered into a long-term licensing agreement, providing acceleration to BlackBerry's transition into a security software and services company. Under the terms of the agreement, BlackBerry will license its security software and service suite, as well as related brand assets to TCL Communication who will design, manufacture, sell and provide customer support for BlackBerry-branded mobile devices. BlackBerry will continue to control and develop its security and software solutions, serve its customers and maintain trusted BlackBerry security software, while TCL Communication will manage all sales and distribution and serve as a global distributor of new BlackBerry-branded mobile devices along with dedicated sales teams.

As BlackBerry recently announced, it is transitioning its handheld devices strategy to focus on continued software innovation - ultimately providing the most secure and comprehensive software for devices around the world, while working with third parties to develop hardware and distribute and market the BlackBerry handset brand. The agreement with TCL Communication is BlackBerry's first global licensing agreement and expands on its existing relationship, which led to the introduction of the DTEK50 and DTEK60 handsets on Android which deliver the standard of security that customers and partners trust.

"At TCL Communication, we are committed to creating the best portfolio solutions, while ensuring the quality support to consumers and enterprise users who trust the integrity of the BlackBerry device and the brand's security leadership, coupled with the Android platform," said Nicolas Zibell, CEO of TCL Communication. "Together with BlackBerry's smartphone software platform, this partnership will strengthen our position in the global mobile market."

The relationship between TCL Communication and BlackBerry builds upon their respective leadership positions in mobile communications, as well as existing work together on the DTEK50 and DTEK60 handsets. By working with TCL Communication, the fourth largest handset manufacturer in North America and top-10 globally according to IDCi, BlackBerry is ensuring its branded devices will be available around the world.

"This agreement with TCL Communication represents a key step in our strategy to focus on putting the 'smart in the phone' by providing state-of-the-art security and device software on a platform that mobile users prefer and are comfortable with," said Ralph Pini, Chief Operating Officer and General Manager of Mobility Solutions at BlackBerry. "TCL Communication is the natural choice to license Blackberry's software and brand on a global scale. We successfully partnered with them on the DTEK series of secure smartphones and we've been impressed with their excellence in hardware design, development and manufacturing. With our unparalleled expertise in mobile security and software and TCL Communication's vast global reach and consumer access, we are confident that BlackBerry-branded products developed and distributed by TCL Communication will address the needs of BlackBerry users and expand the availability of BlackBerry Secure products throughout the world."

TCL Communication will be the exclusive global manufacturer and distributor for all BlackBerry-branded smartphones with the exception of the following countries: India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and Indonesia. Additional information on the product roadmap and availability of devices will be available in coming months.
    Last edited by Corbu; 12-15-16 at 10:18 AM.
    12-15-16 10:06 AM
    Bought my recently sold shares back at a lower price today. Now I think I'll ride the wave til the ER!

OT: Anybody following AMD here?

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    Superfly_FR, Corbu and rarsen like this.
    12-15-16 10:12 AM
    OT: Anybody following AMD here?
    I am.
    ZayDub and masterful like this.
    12-15-16 10:52 AM
    I am.
    What are your thoughts on the spike up? I was holding a whole bunch of shares at $3 and sold them a while back and the next thing I knew I checked it and they were in the $6s...I bought and flipped some between $6-8 but apparently I sold too soon lol

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    12-15-16 11:00 AM
    TCL Communication will be the exclusive global manufacturer and distributor for all BlackBerry-branded smartphones with the exception of the following countries: India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and Indonesia.

So they might have landed another partner for India.

Update: from bloomberg

Chen has said he�s working on a deal with an Indian company, so the carve-out suggests such an agreement is still forthcoming.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...maker-tcl-corp
    Last edited by fanBBRY; 12-15-16 at 11:22 AM.
    sidhuk, Corbu, La Emperor and 6 others like this.
    12-15-16 11:08 AM
    No one for a dance on TCL licensing news ?
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-1932869_o.jpg
    It's been a while #youhoooo
    12-15-16 01:00 PM
    Who knows, that ship might float
    12-15-16 02:10 PM
    What are your thoughts on the spike up? I was holding a whole bunch of shares at $3 and sold them a while back and the next thing I knew I checked it and they were in the $6s...I bought and flipped some between $6-8 but apparently I sold too soon lol
    I am afraid I can't give you a well-researched, clever answer ZD! I have simply been holding some for a long time, stayed on through the tough times and I must say the recent months have been fun. The question now, as for NVDA is: where do we go from here? FWIW, I feel quite confident in Lisa Su... GL!
    ZayDub and rarsen like this.
    12-15-16 04:19 PM
    China licensing agreement (covering most of the world) complete with TLC. Something in the works for India. BlackBerry is out of hardware and has licensing revenue potential for phones. Stock goes down. Time for positive EPS, huge margins, and forecasting ongoing profit. Let's hear it next week. Then we can put in a bottom for company value as a software company I would hope in the 9-10 range. Growth from there.
    12-15-16 04:32 PM
    12-15-16 06:11 PM

OT - I think AMD has gotten a bit ahead of itself, but compared to NVDA market cap could be warranted if AMD starts taking back market share. Also, holding till Zen plays out. I've sold half my position but not anything recently
    Corbu and ZayDub like this.
    12-15-16 11:08 PM
    Any questions for BBRY's management, after next week's EC?

Feel free to post your questions here before 8 AM, Wednesday the 21st and we'll follow-up, as we have done over the last few Qs.

12-16-16 08:53 AM
    https://blog.bbm.com/2016/12/16/bbm-...-16-countries/
    BBM Games Bring Instant Play HTML5 Games to Users in 16 Countries
    12-16-16 08:54 AM
    Hi Corbu,

I have been following the post for a long time, but I do not post much. I have a couple of questions:

1st, regarding the mobility solution, since Blackberry will license out brand and software to TCL and other partners, there will be minimal risk. However, there should be still some cost associated with developing the software. Is there any breakeven number on the how many Blackberry branded phones needs to be sold by TCL or other partners? Like 1 million a year, 10 million a year? In management’s opinion or expectation, what kind of the size the department are they anticipating in the following years? Like what is the range of the revenue are they expecting? Or how many units of Blackberry branded phone to be sold by its partners? Here I am excluding the potential revenue from other hardware like Radar.

2nd, regarding the software, I may several sub questions: for QNX, Blackberry boasts about 60 million cars using it, and it is developing all kinds of in-car technology. However, the revenue from QNX seems not significant, like 100 million – 200 million annually. If we take a look of mobile eye, which is just focusing on advanced driver assistance system, they are generating annual revenue of 350 million. What kind of strategy Blackberry is implementing to monetize QNX, how long do we have to wait to see significant increase of revenue, and what kind of size are we expecting in a couple of years? Like 200 million, 500 million? Could we get some range?

3rd, regarding Blackberry enterprise software, how effective could Blackberry convert prior BES customers into Blackberry enterprise software? As I am taking a look of MobileIron with cumulative 12 thousand customers, they are generating ~120 million annual revenue. I would assume Blackberry could have 100 – 200 thousand customers. However, I do not see Blackberry generating 10 times of the revenue from enterprise software. What kind of customer base could Blackberry re-gain? Like 100 thousand, 200 thousand, or even more?

4th, Back in 2014, Blackberry use EZ pass to retain many of its customers. I think it is a very good strategy. But these customers are perpetual subscribers. How successful is Blackberry converting these perpetual subscribers into recurring (like annual) subscribers?

5th, Regarding the patent licensing, typically how long would we have to wait until the size becoming significant? Another year, or several years? what is the size of revenue could we expect? I know there is a lot of uncertainties. But could we get some idea of the magnitude? Will it be 10 million annual revenue business, or 100 million annual revenue business? Or much higher?

Thanks very much.
    CDM76, alludba, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    12-16-16 10:57 AM
    A (nearly) worldwide license sold to TCL and no reaction at all in the stock?

Posted via CB10
    CDM76, alludba and theRock1975 like this.
    12-16-16 11:47 AM
    A (nearly) worldwide license sold to TCL and no reaction at all in the stock?

Posted via CB10
    Having value and communicating it are two different things, and the later imo is more influential on stock, because implicit in stock is the imperfect knowledge of individuals...

BlackBerry needs to find a way of better communicating their value and showing the world why they still matter, because for most of the world they don't even exist anymore, this is hard to see if you're actively invested in BlackBerry and so keep an eye out for any and all news concerning them, vs general population who won't even know who TCL is or why the deal matters...

What BlackBerry needs right now is an evangaliser, sort of like a creative director but not like Alicia keys, one who's main and only job is educating the market and inviduals potential customers etc. On the value of BlackBerry, not selling their products (but passing on any interested parties to the sales team), but strictly travelling around to the key potential customers and letting them know what they've been missing r.e. BlackBerry, without this, none of what BlackBerry is doing will see the benefits of the stock, at least not over the next few years imo

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, CDM76, alludba and 1 others like this.
    12-16-16 12:06 PM
113,256 ... 40204021402240234024 ...