• No

427 37.82%
    11-12-16 07:49 AM
    11-13-16 09:55 AM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Qnx next?

Samsung Electronics Agrees to Buy Harman for $8 Billion in Cash
    By Jungah Lee - 14 Nov 2016, 16:14:39

Samsung Electronics Co., the world�s biggest maker of smartphones, agreed to buy Harman International Industries Inc. for about $8 billion in cash to expand in high-end car audio and connected automobiles.

The offer values Harman shares at $112 apiece, Suwon, South Korea-based Samsung said in a statement Monday. The offer is 28 percent above Harman�s closing price of $87.65 in New York on Friday.

Samsung announced the acquisition just weeks after talks to buy sections of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV�s parts unit were said to broken down. Harman gets about 65 percent of its sales from the automotive sector, Samsung said.

�Harman perfectly complements Samsung in terms of technologies, products and solutions, and joining forces is a natural extension of the automotive strategy we have been pursuing for some time,� Vice Chairman Kwon Oh-hyun said in the statement. �Harman immediately establishes a strong foundation for Samsung to grow our automotive platform.�

More articles on Tech
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 11-14-16 at 02:14 AM.
    alludba, howarmat, rarsen and 9 others like this.
    11-14-16 01:58 AM
    Qnx next?

Samsung Electronics Co., the world�s biggest maker of smartphones, agreed to buy Harman International Industries Inc. for about $8 billion in cash to expand in high-end car audio and connected automobiles.

The offer values Harman shares at $112 apiece, Suwon, South Korea-based Samsung said in a statement Monday. The offer is 28 percent above Harman�s closing price of $87.65 in New York on Friday.

Samsung announced the acquisition just weeks after talks to buy sections of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV�s parts unit were said to broken down. Harman gets about 65 percent of its sales from the automotive sector, Samsung said.

�Harman perfectly complements Samsung in terms of technologies, products and solutions, and joining forces is a natural extension of the automotive strategy we have been pursuing for some time,� Vice Chairman Kwon Oh-hyun said in the statement. �Harman immediately establishes a strong foundation for Samsung to grow our automotive platform.�

More articles on Tech
    Well that is the price they were supposedly willing to pay for all of BlackBerry last year?! Missed opportunity... I'd look for Microsoft doing an acquisition in the automotive space. But if we want a premium, BlackBerry will have to start performing...

Posted via CB10
    alludba likes this.
    11-14-16 04:54 AM
    Samsung-Harman: Getting in an Automotive Groove - WSJ

Samsung’s $8 billion deal for automotive tech player Harman International looks like a ride worth taking

Samsung’s latest billion-dollar deal books a seat on technology’s next big thing—smarter cars. It looks like a ride worth taking.

The Korean technology giant said Monday it will buy U.S. auto-parts supplier Harman International for $8 billion in an all-cash deal. The transaction, the largest in Samsung’s history, comes as the smartphone market is maturing. It is a bet that automobiles, which have looked roughly similar for decades, will be the next place to fit in more chips and screens. Around 65% of Harman’s revenue came from supplying chips, audio systems or other parts to vehicles, in the fiscal year ended September.

Samsung isn’t the only one making the bet. The biggest semiconductor merger ever came last month as Qualcomm, which supplies chips to Samsung’s smartphones, agreed to buy NXP Semiconductors for $39 billion. NXP’s automotive-chip business could help Qualcomm buffer the pain of its stalling mobile-chip business. NXP itself merged with rival Freescale just last year to become the biggest auto-semiconductor maker. Japan’s Renesas, the former market leader unseated by NXP, agreed to buy Intersil for $3.2 billion in September in an attempt to fight back.

While fully self-driving cars could still be years away due to legal or even moral ramifications, there is plenty of room to make human-driven cars smarter. Touch-screen panels are commonplace in high-end cars but haven’t been more widely adopted. Features such as pedestrian detection and traffic prediction can help drivers even if they still have to put their hands on the wheel.

Samsung vice chairman and heir apparent Lee Jae-yong, who took over the helm of the company after his father was incapacitated by a heart attack two years ago, is clearly eager to put the company’s cash to good use. The company has done some smaller deals in the past few months including buying a cloud services company, a mobile-payment firm and an artificial intelligence startup founded by the creators of Siri.

The deal values Harman at 15.8 times next year’s adjusted earnings, according to S&P Global Market Intelligence. That is higher than 10 times for Delphi Automotive and 14.8 times for Panasonic, which supplies batteries to Tesla. Since it is an all-cash deal, it will be immediately accretive to Samsung and the firm can well afford it with its $64 billion of net cash. Given the frenzy in this space, the question is whether Samsung’s price will be enough.

If it can close the deal, Harman offers Samsung a good lift on the automotive tech highway.
    11-14-16 06:42 AM
    11-14-16 07:38 AM
    Qnx next?

Well Samsung just got QNX source code "license -free" for the next 14 years +/-. Harmon retained the rights to use QNX for 20 years as part of the deal when they sold QNX to BlackBerry if I recall correctly.

Posted via CB10
    Uzi, morganplus8, Corbu and 10 others like this.
    11-14-16 09:24 AM
    Well Samsung just got QNX source code "license -free" for the next 14 years +/-. Harmon retained the rights to use QNX for 20 years as part of the deal when they sold QNX to BlackBerry if I recall correctly.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...an-qnx-739864/

This is from the question and answer transcript. CEO of Harman talking about QNX / RIM:
    "Dinesh C. Paliwal - Chairman, President and CEO: Not so much patents but it has to do with open source solutions. We got out of QNX operating system, Ravi, a couple of years now. We want to be operating system agnostic, so we continue to use QNX as our fundamental operating system which we still believe, most robust from safety point of view, but we are now developing android-based infotainment, Linux, android, Microsoft, everything. So, we will have – and systems will not be unique to one operating system, the kernel could be one thing and apps could be written in something else. It's going to be a hybrid system which is what actually; (indiscernible) in Europe is sort of calling for and talking to more BMW and Audis who lead the space with us. They seem to be very comfortable with the strategy we have. So this little company we acquired, this will give us additional horsepower to expedite our engineering development work. In addition, we're also adding some 100 software engineering resources in Google, Android based competence right here in Midwest, in Ann Arbor, in Chicago area and lots of people from Google actually have left to join Harman.

Ravi Shanker - Morgan Stanley: Then just speaking of QNX, RIM is obviously having a few difficulties right now. Can you remind us again, how things stand between you and your ability to use QNX especially if RIM kind of licenses someone else or partners with someone else?

Dinesh C. Paliwal - Chairman, President and CEO: That's a great question for all other listeners. When we sold QNX to RIM, we took care of our shareholders interest, for next 20 years. We have access to the source code of QNX, no matter what change of hands happen, even if Company goes so south that no one can see, still we'll have access to it and frankly speaking, we have as much competence in QNX as RIM today, and we have excellent relationship. So, there's no issue of access to source and access to development for next 18, 20 years.

Ravi Shanker - Morgan Stanley: If things get really bad there, would you consider bringing it back in-house?

Dinesh C. Paliwal - Chairman, President and CEO: I don't know about that. We'll see. We'll see who goes after them first, we will see."
    11-14-16 09:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    You threw me off with your comments here, at first I was deflated about the source code terms until Corbu posted the details and I saw the timeline of the deal. In tech, years are like decades and BlackBerry is not only beyond just code, they have written a ton of lines and hired the best staff out there. If we see $ 138 million in revenues next year for QNX, it isn't worth much on paper as a revenue based valuation. I can't see Samsung ever purchasing BB based upon QNX alone, rather I think the rest of BlackBerry looks far more appealing them. (Not that I want BB sold, I want it valued in the stock market for what it is really worth).

Let's see if BBRY can bounce off the 200-dma today and head for its 50-dma just above us now. We should have one heck of a finish in this stock market rally approaching the end of this year. We haven't been this bullish in many years. GL all.
    La Emperor, sidhuk, W Hoa and 8 others like this.
    11-14-16 10:45 AM
    Another positive evaluation:

10 reasons the BlackBerry DTEK60 is good for business | ZDNet
    "It stands out from other Android smartphones with key functions and features that enhance efficiency and improve productivity. There are many great Android smartphones available today, ranging in price from $300 to $900+ and I've had the opportunity to test many of them. I ordered the DTEK60 figuring I would test it out and return it. However, because of the items listed above and a few other reasons (loud stereo speakers, great form factor, 3.5mm headset jack) I am keeping this $500 smartphone. With flagship specifications and a number of BlackBerry enhancements, it's tough to beat the $499 price and value of the BlackBerry DTEK60."
    morganplus8, sidhuk, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    11-14-16 11:26 AM
    OT: HALO
    On a nice run since last week. Hope it sticks.
    11-14-16 01:15 PM
  12. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Let's hope Ceo Chen uses his vast talents to finally secure a very lucrative BlackBerry licensing deal in both India AND China for its SW, services & brand for producing smartphones for the local markets in those huge markets ....

This would be the best hopeful outcome and a big win going into 2017, imo!!... finally ending the losses on that part of BlackBerry's past core money losing smartphone business and in turn successfully transitioning to its new "core" high margin, profitable businesses, like QNX .......

Perhaps then BlackBerry can finally be valued "fairly" in the marketplace and shareholder value finally realized....

Make it happen Chen!!

Posted via CB10
    11-14-16 05:02 PM
    Let's hope Ceo Chen uses his vast talents to finally secure a very lucrative BlackBerry licensing deal in both India AND China for its SW, services & brand for producing smartphones for the local markets in those huge markets ....

This would be the best hopeful outcome and a big win going into 2017, imo!!... finally ending the losses on that part of BlackBerry's past core money losing smartphone business and in turn successfully transitioning to its new "core" high margin, profitable businesses, like QNX .......

Perhaps then BlackBerry can finally be valued "fairly" in the marketplace and shareholder value finally realized....

Make it happen Chen!!

Posted via CB10
    Agreed! Let's start seeing some consistent EPS. $0.20 / qtr would be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY and CDM76 like this.
    11-14-16 06:01 PM
    Indeed. Let's hope this deal works out and they get a similar one done in China:
    BlackBerry in talks with Optiemus - The Economic Times

“There has been a lot of back and forth on the agreement. Both parties are discussing various clauses, which is taking time,” a person aware of the talks said.
    sidhuk, Greened, alludba and 4 others like this.
    11-14-16 06:21 PM
    11-14-16 08:42 PM
    11-14-16 09:05 PM
    Japan Watches Samsung Chip Away at Its Car Makers - WSJ

Nation is spooked by its poor record in dealing with technology shifts that upturn industries

TOKYO— Samsung Electronics Co.’s planned $8 billion acquisition of U.S. auto-parts supplier Harman International Industries Inc. has exacerbated fears in Japan that its makers of cars and car parts will get left behind in the auto-technology race.

“This is an industry that is changing very rapidly,” industry minister Hiroshige Seko said Tuesday when asked about the Samsung deal.

“Alliances are being forged across industries. Japan needs to work on this technology with a clear strategy in mind.”

The nation is spooked by its poor record in dealing with technology shifts that upturn industries. Its companies once were leading cellphone makers, but Apple Inc.’s iPhone decimated Japanese handset makers who made a belated and ultimately doomed push into the smartphone business.

Japan’s chip makers, while still strong in some areas, no longer rule the world as they did a quarter-century ago.

As the home of Toyota Motor Corp., Nissan Motor Co. and Honda Motor Co., Japan can ill afford to let companies in nations such as the U.S. and South Korea get control of the core technologies behind self-driving and internet-connected vehicles. Exports of cars and their parts accounted for 20% of Japan’s total exports last year.

“The fate of the Japanese economy depends on the ability of the automobile and electronics industries—the two pillars of the nation’s economy—to continue to produce high-value-added products,” said a report this year from the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

“If these industries become mere subcontractors for global software giants that supply and operate platforms for other companies to build their businesses on, Japan would be stuck with manufacturers without any high-value-added content,” the report said. In October, METI secured about $195 million in funding to help companies study artificial intelligence for uses such as autonomous driving.

Recent deals show Toyota’s key suppliers are trying to ramp up their abilities in the same areas spotlighted by the Samsung-Harman deal.

In September, Renesas Electronics Corp., which is majority-owned by a Japanese government-backed fund, said it would buy U.S. chip maker Intersil Corp. for about $3.2 billion, a deal executives said was aimed at strengthening the automotive business.

Mr. Seko, the industry minister, said in a recent interview that the government might keep control of Renesas to ensure that its autonomous-driving technology stays in Japanese hands.

“The government will have to take the lead if Japan wants to compete with behemoths like Google,” he said.

Panasonic Corp., the Japanese electronics maker, was among those that failed at the smartphone business. It now gets more than a third of its revenue from automotive and industrial systems, including from batteries sold to Tesla Motors Inc.

Panasonic this week disclosed plans for a car system that would replace mirrors with video monitors, following the purchase of a Spain-based component maker last year.

Toyota itself plans to spend at least $1 billion over the next several years on self-driving car research, after years of resistance to the idea and trailing similar announcements from competitors. The company aims to build cars that can drive on highways by themselves by 2020.

The research “is key to our competitiveness,” said Masato Minakata, a Toyota engineer working on new technologies.

One fear of Japanese makers is losing control of the software at the center of “connected cars” that can offer smartphone-like services such as information about nearby destinations.

That is an area where Samsung will gain ground with the Harman acquisition. Harman executive Mike Tzamaloukas said earlier this year that the company hoped to play a key role in building connected cars, which he said “will be the enablers for the semiautonomous and eventually the autonomous car.”

Toyota outlined earlier this month a plan to connect nearly all its vehicles in the U.S. and Japan to the internet by 2020. That would help it branch out into other businesses like ride- and car-sharing, said Shigeki Tomoyama, a Toyota executive in charge of connected car development. “The manufacturer has to become a platform provider, as cars become information terminals,” he said.

The technology push is forcing Toyota, Nissan and other Japanese car makers to change business models that revolve around tight and long-term supplier relationships.

Nissan’s self-driving technology, ProPilot, uses a camera developed by Michigan-based TRW and a customized version of image-processing software from Israel-based Mobileye NV. Nissan wants to source the best technology and won’t necessarily rely on traditional suppliers, said a company spokesman.

Mr. Minakata, the Toyota engineer, said, “Japanese car makers in general, and we are no exception, have the tendency to want to be self-sufficient and prefer to work with companies that we know well.” Now, he said, “you need to bring in new technologies from somewhere completely different.”
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bt-am184_samsun_16u_20161114184209.jpg
    11-15-16 06:51 AM
    You threw me off with your comments here, at first I was deflated about the source code terms until Corbu posted the details and I saw the timeline of the deal. In tech, years are like decades and BlackBerry is not only beyond just code, they have written a ton of lines and hired the best staff out there. If we see $ 138 million in revenues next year for QNX, it isn't worth much on paper as a revenue based valuation. I can't see Samsung ever purchasing BB based upon QNX alone, rather I think the rest of BlackBerry looks far more appealing them. (Not that I want BB sold, I want it valued in the stock market for what it is really worth).

Let's see if BBRY can bounce off the 200-dma today and head for its 50-dma just above us now. We should have one heck of a finish in this stock market rally approaching the end of this year. We haven't been this bullish in many years. GL all.
    The only issue is that John Chen has added lots of uncertainty, doubt, confusion and has done nothing to help the company with their image - I would argue that he's damaged the company so much and prepared it for a buyout at a huge discount. What's sad is all long term shareholders will likely be held holding the bag. Look at Harman for example and the premium compared to their share price over the past years. Chen has destroyed BlackBerry
    11-15-16 08:37 AM
    The only issue is that John Chen has added lots of uncertainty, doubt, confusion and has done nothing to help the company with their image - I would argue that he's damaged the company so much and prepared it for a buyout at a huge discount. What's sad is all long term shareholders will likely be held holding the bag. Look at Harman for example and the premium compared to their share price over the past years. Chen has destroyed BlackBerry
    Did you really expect that JC could bring the shareprice back above 100 USD? Or what price did you have in mind? Just trying to get an idea of the 'discount' you refer to.. If the company gets sold at 17-25 USD then I wouldn't consider that a discount.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY and theRock1975 like this.
    11-15-16 09:19 AM
    Did you really expect that JC could bring the shareprice back above 100 USD? Or what price did you have in mind? Just trying to get an idea of the 'discount' you refer to.. If the company gets sold at 17-25 USD then I wouldn't consider that a discount.

Posted via CB10
    At a 30-40% premium on today's price we'll be near $10 - consider where the price was before Chen took over and where it is now. Chen has been bad for the company, we all can agree except for the permanent long sheep
    11-15-16 10:03 AM
    At a 30-40% premium on today's price we'll be near $10 - consider where the price was before Chen took over and where it is now. Chen has been bad for the company, we all can agree except for the permanent long sheep

I think that the fist time I grabbed some stocks, it was at 6.14 (US), and Thorstein had the reins...
    11-15-16 10:24 AM
    Why Samsung's Harman purchase will be seen as Apple blunder decades from now | ZDNet

Samsung's purchase of Harman is strategically sound, worth the $8 billion, and positions Samsung well in the connected car market. Meanwhile, Samsung diversifies from a saturated smartphone market.

The deal makes so much sense you have to wonder why Apple didn't buy Harman....

BlackBerry's QNX is likely winner here. QNX serves as the middleware to a lot of connected car efforts--see Ford Sync for instance. QNX's role as a neutral and secure platform in the vehicle will play well with Samsung/Harman.
    Corbu, La Emperor, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    11-15-16 10:59 AM
    Let's hope Apple sees this as a threat and buys out BlackBerry - might be hard as it would signify how important this space is, hopefully a bidding war between Microsoft and Apple
    alludba likes this.
    11-15-16 11:04 AM
    Let's hope Apple sees this as a threat and buys out BlackBerry - might be hard as it would signify how important this space is, hopefully a bidding war between Microsoft and Apple
    Throw a consortium of auto makers in the mix as well. If a neutral, secure platform is necessary, I'm sure the automakers will view BlackBerry/QNX as critical to maintaining control of their product, just as they viewed Nokia's Here mapping platform. QNX is in virtually the entire automotive supply chain.

It's either buy BlackBerry/QNX or go Genivi (the hardened automotive version of Linux). QNX already has the certifications, the proven platform, and the lead.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-16 11:32 AM
    And as both parties know the cap is set at 40% in any buy-out, whoever has the most shares of BBRY by that point, gets the company... :-)

Posted via CB10
    11-15-16 11:45 AM
113,250 ... 40104011401240134014 ...