View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    10-26-16 09:23 PM
    Don't think they have confirmed if there is or is not a need for development of the Blackberry Android OS.... "secret sauce".
    No I meant about having hardware off the books by end of fiscal.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-16 05:53 AM
    Wow, they have 'Dozens' of software engineers on this...for Apple?! Seriously, that means approx.24 people.
    No, it means a minimum of 24 people. Could be 36, could be 48, could be 84. "Dozens" does not necessarily mean "two dozen."
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-27-16 07:29 AM
    No, it means a minimum of 24 people. Could be 36, could be 48, could be 84. "Dozens" does not necessarily mean "two dozen."
    They said it's 24 later in the article.

Posted via CB10
    _dimi_, La Emperor and theRock1975 like this.
    10-27-16 08:00 AM
    MOBL reporting earnings after market close.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-16 08:55 AM
    They said it's 24 later in the article.
    It says
    Many of the engineers working in Canada were hired over the past year and about two dozen came from BlackBerry Ltd.’s QNX, a leading automotive software provider, the people said.
    So, 24 of the engineers hired came from Blackberry, but were only a portion of the total engineers hired over the past year. It can then be inferred that a lot more than 24 people are working on the project.
    10-27-16 10:02 AM
    It says

So, 24 of the engineers hired came from Blackberry, but were only a portion of the total engineers hired over the past year. It can then be inferred that a lot more than 24 people are working on the project.
    Yeah I doubt Dan Dodge has been working alone for all these months.

This isn't a case like the The Astonishing Tribe I think QNX is large enough to weather the loss of Dan Dodge and 24+ engineers

But we'll have to just see what their plans are... I would hope it is to build upon what BlackBerry/QNX is doing in automotive. Apple creates their idea of a car... powered by QNX, with an APPLE UI on top.

That said, I bet Dan with Apple's backing had his pick of who he wanted to bring over. Let's face it, the idea of working with Dan on a new project being backed by Apple... has to be more appealing than sticking with QNX under BlackBerry cost cutting management.
    10-27-16 11:07 AM
    Why BlackBerry (BBRY) Could Be a Potential Winner

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-2016-10-27.png
    Stock has actually seen estimates rise over the past month for the current fiscal year by about 70.4%. But that is not yet reflected in its price, as the stock lost 7.7% over the same time frame. You should not be concerned about the price remaining muted going forward. This year’s expected earnings growth over the prior year is 89.5%, which should ultimately translate into price appreciation. So if you are looking for a stock flying under-the-radar that is well-equipped to bounce down the road, make sure to consider BlackBerry.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-3-...190507830.html
    10-27-16 12:27 PM
    OT from the Related Technologies file:

Chinese Smartphone Makers Take Share From Apple, Samsung | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD
    No. 1 vendor Samsung shipped 72.5 million smartphones in Q3, down 13.5% year over year. No. 2 vendor Apple shipped 45.5 million iPhones in Q3, down 5.3% from a year earlier. After Samsung and Apple, the largest smartphone vendors in Q3 were Chinese vendors Huawei (9.3% market share), OPPO (7%) and Vivo (5.8%), IDC said. Research firm Strategy Analytics in a report Thursday estimated that global smartphone shipments rose 6% year over year to 375.4 million units in Q3. t ranked the top five smartphone vendors as Samsung (20.1% market share), Apple (12.1%), Huawei (9%), OPPO (5.8%), and Vivo (4.9%).
    10-27-16 12:40 PM
    It says

It's all boils down to semantics, Dan Dodge moved over to Apple this year, he would clearly be the driver for future hires and strategies; .... 24 BB employees followed, together, they represent the majority of the "engineering" hires made by Apple in the past year. Therefore, the team is comprised of primarily (possibly all) BB employees from QNX. I don't see where any other employees from "other than" QNX came from. There is nothing in their statement to even suggest that hires outside of QNX ever took place. Then, we get the statement third hand.

To be sure, my close friend is one of the "hires" that Apple picked up, he moved over simply because of the money, he doesn't know if the project will even last, nor does he care.
    10-27-16 01:01 PM
    Weekend off topic. Hopefully this isn't frowned upon.

I've been looking for a boat for a lifestyle change. I've settled on a nice little Contest 36 that is being surveyed as I type this (a boat version of a detailed home inspection). This will be my home for a few years if all goes well today.

Attachment 398525
    Attachment 398526
    Attachment 398527
    Attachment 398528
    Attachment 398529
    Attachment 398530

Posted via CB10
    Freaking Beauty!!!! I was into the same trip as you a couple of years ago,did some sniffing around and met a guy who told me after boating in the fog using his radar at nite that boating isn't for the Faint of heart,haha,just like BB stock,may I ask how much that beauty is going for?don't worry I'm over the boat trip,haha! Bon Voyage!!!
    10-27-16 03:34 PM
    Freaking Beauty!!!! I was into the same trip as you a couple of years ago,did some sniffing around and met a guy who told me after boating in the fog using his radar at nite that boating isn't for the Faint of heart,haha,just like BB stock,may I ask how much that beauty is going for?don't worry I'm over the boat trip,haha! Bon Voyage!!!
    Lol. A tad late on the reply. I bought it in May.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-16 03:43 PM
    10-27-16 04:52 PM
    OT from the General Security files:

Good luck securing 'things' when users assume 'stuff just works' ? The Register
    The router booted with default username and password settings � the same default username and password settings used for every other connection in their apartment buildings. It�s not hard to be a paranoid in a world that seems to be insecure by design. Or we can rely on users - who expect, in the era of Apple, that things will �just work� with minimal intervention. Where �it just works� means �opens your network to attack�, that�s a sure sign we�ve missed the point, that we�ve grown too lazy, that it�s been too long since the last time we woke up to find ourselves robbed by a thief in the night. Every device - every desktop and laptop and smartphone and connected widget of any sort - must be secure enough against attack that we never need worry that we�re doing enough if we do nothing at all. Making devices that are secure by design requires more forethought than we currently allow in product development. That�s the first thing we need to change. Does security make things more complex for the users? Probably. It�s harder to open my doors when the grates are drawn and locked. But that�s the tradeoff for security you don�t need to tinker with or even think about much. Locks just work, and so do devices that are secure by design. Is it necessary? Absolutely. Paranoia won�t help us much. Thoughtful security by design would go a long way.

You've been hacked. What are you liable for? ? The Register
    sidhuk, Corbu, morganplus8 and 5 others like this.
    10-27-16 05:10 PM
    It says

It's an intentional poaching operation located in the building next door, so I doubt they've been hiring more broadly...'dozens' in a media context means 24-36, otherwise that term would look ridiculous. And 'two dozen' were poached from BlackBerry. So there's your number. I said 'approximately 24', which is entirely factually correct, yet you've posted about it not once but twice. May I ask why? And maybe once you answer, I'll ask it again, just to be sure. I mean, you're perfectly free to find a media reference that says 'over 30' or find a job posting for the Kanata Apple office or something to support your case...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DaSchwantz; 10-27-16 at 08:21 PM.
    masterful and ZayDub like this.
    10-27-16 06:17 PM

But we'll have to just see what their plans are... I would hope it is to build upon what BlackBerry/QNX is doing in automotive. Apple creates their idea of a car... powered by QNX, with an APPLE UI on top.

That said, I bet Dan with Apple's backing had his pick of who he wanted to bring over. Let's face it, the idea of working with Dan on a new project being backed by Apple... has to be more appealing than sticking with QNX under BlackBerry cost cutting management.
    Car Play already does that. This is about Apple direct competition OS to qnx for autodrive, by poaching qnx people who would otherwise be working on the same thing with BlackBerry.

And yes, more appealing, until you realize that everyone in Cupertino in a decision-making position has no idea how to work things in auto, and all the automakers are colluding en masse to freeze you out before it's too late...speculation on my part, but not unlikely...

Posted via CB10
    10-27-16 08:40 PM
    OT: MOBL

MobileIron: One More Step Closer

James E Faucette – Morgan Stanley

October 28, 2016 1:19 AM GMT

After positively preannouncing earnings, management revised its Q4 margin target upwards. Continued execution is encouraging and we await an update on margin improvement potential in FY17.

Zeroing in on margin target. After preannouncing quarterly results, management updated its long held Q4 target, narrowing its expected operating margins to (10%) - (8%). Management attributed its confidence to stronger than expected billings growth ($47mm vs. MSe: 44mm), driven by continued expansion with existing customer footprints and greenfield opportunities within environments requiring leading security features. Management intends to retain its margin progress going into 2017, and we seek to get a better sense on MOBL's longer term trajectory to profitability.Adjusting estimates accordingly. We raise our Q4 rev. / EPS slightly to $45.3mm / ($0.05) (from $44.5mm / ($0.06)) on account of better than expected billings growth, driving operating margins (now (9%)) to the midpoint of management's targets. Our FY17 outlook remains roughly the same as we await further guidance on management's operating plans after surpassing its Q4 target.PT remains at $2.75. 1x EV/'17e revenue is an approximate 50% discount to small-cap software stocks on a revenue growth basis. We view the discount appropriate because peers at similar growth levels are expecting profitability (i.e. CUDA, BV, JIVE) while peers at similar operating losses (<(10%) OM in 2017) are expecting higher revenue growth (i.e. BOX, RPD, WK). We would become more positive on the stock should management demonstrate a clear path to growing profitability despite challenging market dynamics.
    rarsen, morganplus8 and Mr BBRY like this.
    10-27-16 09:36 PM
    Insights on Apple's Project Titan:

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/conte...r-crumble.html

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 05:53 AM
    BlackBerry signs its most crucial licence deal yet ? and there?s not a patent in sight - Blog - Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) - Maximising IP Value for Business

The DTEK60, which was officially launched in North America and Europe this week, is BlackBerry’s latest smartphone model. And according to some, it is also its last.

Though it is manufactured under contract by China’s TCL, the DTEK60 is designed, distributed and marketed by BlackBerry. This is a typical arrangement in the consumer electronics world, where brand-name companies will typically outsource much of the manufacturing and assembly to dedicated OEMs and other contractors.

However, this is probably going to be the final device that BlackBerry produces in this way. Speaking last month, CEO John Chen stated that the Canadian company would be ending internal hardware development and shifting to a licensing-led business model, confirming months of speculation that it would, to all intents and purposes, exit the product-making market.

At around the same time, BlackBerry announced its first significant partnership under this new strategy. The Canadian company is forming a joint venture – BB Merah Putih – with Indonesian company Tiphone, an affiliate of mobile network carrier Telkomsel. The new firm will be responsible for manufacturing, distributing and marketing BlackBerry-branded devices in Indonesia.

A glance at the various BlackBerry user forums online suggests that the plan has met with a mixed response among the brand’s famously loyal fanbase. While some think the pivot to Asia is a sensible move, others see it as the company’s death-knell. The latter perspective seems to arise, at least in part, from the widely-held perception that the high-tech industry in a developing Asian market like Indonesia remains one of low quality products and, thanks to an ingrained problem with counterfeiting, scant regard for IP rights.

Nevertheless, the Indonesia deal makes particular sense for BlackBerry. It has strong brand recognition in the country (the world's fourth most populous) where it is still one of the most popular smartphone options. This will give the company’s local partners something of a head start when they begin selling their own devices bearing the storied BlackBerry trademarks.

In addition to the brand licence, BB Merah Putih has also entered a “device-software licensing agreement” which will give it “full access to the BlackBerry experience, which includes the trusted BlackBerry for Android secure software and the Hub unified communications software” for the production of smartphones in Indonesia.

Notably, the statement outlining the deal makes no mention of patents, which have come to be seen as core to BlackBerry’s new IP-focused business model. Since June 2015 – when it entered a royalty-bearing licence agreement with Cisco – BlackBerry has been busy seeking out monetisation options for its extensive patent portfolio. In February this year, it signed two significant licensees in deals with Canon and International Game Technology; more recently, it has asserted patents against Avaya. It has also sold IP assets; in late 2015, it assigned patents to investment firm Centerbridge Partners in a transaction worth as much as $50 million.

The only reference to patents that BlackBerry makes in relation to the Indonesian deal is a comment from the company’s director of marketing content, Eric Lai, in a thread on its official corporate blog page. In the post, Lai responds to a reader’s comment by suggesting that BlackBerry “is open” to the idea of licensing patents relating to its physical-keyboard technology to its partners.

Beyond that, it would appear that BlackBerry doesn’t consider patents to play a significant role in this deal, if at all. That may well be because the joint venture is, for now at least, confined to the Indonesian market, which, as already mentioned, does not enjoy an especially positive reputation for its levels of respect and protection of IP rights and simply is not a key jurisdiction from a patent perspective.

In any case, BlackBerry’s most valuable IP asset – in Indonesia and elsewhere – is its brand, and is clearly the most crucial element for its new licensing strategy. But while the brand’s local popularity should give it an enhanced chance of survival in Indonesia, its audience in other parts of the world may still need some convincing.
    10-28-16 09:42 AM
    Relevant bits from the Q&A at MobileIron:

Q. And I figured I should check in on the competitive landscape a little bit. I think AirWatch the other day said their billings are up in the mid-teens. Are there any changes you're seeing sort of the -- going competitively head-to-head with the bigger guys?

A. Here's what I'll say. I'll say that they're still competitors. But you can look at their results, and they're certainly struggling in and around the sales execution. And that's benefitting us.

Q. Just if you look at the improvement you saw this quarter, like how [then] would you characterize that or split it between execution on your side and market getting better in terms of competitive deals and customers being able to understand better your value proposition versus what [average guys] have to offer?

A. That's a good question. There's three ways I'll say that. Execution is getting stronger. The team is starting to gel from an executive standpoint. And our sales organization is really executing.

Second piece is on competitive landscape. We had mentioned just prior that we can go look at the earnings of our competitors; they're struggling. And timing [new] acquisitions is what we were hoping for. There would be a pause in sales execution. So we're benefitting there.

There's a third leg of the stool. And as customers go more mobile first, and they start to say -- I'm going to migrate more and more business processes and applications to mobile devices, security has become more and more important. And as a result, when customers look at our solutions compared with the others out there for a native experience solution, we win. And I'm really excited about how that market's changing. I'm really happy about how competition is having their challenges, and I really love the way we're executing.

Source : http://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited...030612677.html

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 11:47 AM
    Whole article is based on a false premise - that BBRY is part of this JV - it's not.
    10-28-16 12:24 PM
    Whole article is based on a false premise - that BBRY is part of this JV - it's not.
    Aside from that, it's still a very good article.

Posted via CB10
    cgk and morganplus8 like this.
    10-28-16 01:24 PM
    Though it is manufactured under contract by China’s TCL, the DTEK60 is designed, distributed and marketed by BlackBerry

One out of three there wasn't too bad.... TCL's internal design, and well lest face it... no one is marketing this phone.
    10-28-16 03:09 PM
    Love the picture!!!!!!

Nice Marty!!

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/10/...erg-corrected/
    Attachment 410823
    Last edited by bbjdog; 10-28-16 at 05:35 PM.
    10-28-16 03:10 PM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    nice find bbjdog ... brilliant!!! .. "only three were kernel Engineers .. no impact on our business" LOL ... Yep nice spin Apple loving media cheerleaders ...

factcheck next time ...
    10-28-16 03:36 PM
113,256 ... 40044005400640074008 ...