Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...kberry-country
    Apple Said to Develop Car Operating System in BlackBerry Country
    Wow, they have 'Dozens' of software engineers on this...for Apple?! Seriously, that means approx.24 people. Meanwhile the CEO talks talks talks about Apple Pay, and the rumours are that Apple Car and Project Titan are dead...sounds like 'dozens' of people may have to look for a new job soon, or drink the Kool aid and move to Cupertino.

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/1...ions-fade.aspx

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DaSchwantz; 10-25-16 at 05:13 PM.
    10-25-16 05:03 PM
    Is it actually the last? We know they have been testing the Mercury but Chen was unclear if he was going ahead or not - has that changed?
    Beard: "This is ABSOLUTELY not the last BlackBerry phone,"

WSJ has turned into junk.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-16 05:25 PM
    Wow!!! Explains the direction of the stock since last Earnings... depressing.... CEO Chen needs to hit one out of the park....

Posted via CB10
    Chen has been the CEO since November 2013. What has this done to the stock price? Practically nothing. Back to $7... depressing....
    10-25-16 05:30 PM
    Chen has been the CEO since November 2013. What has this done to the stock price? Practically nothing. Back to $7... depressing....
    Would have been zero with the last leadership. Or, at best, a $5/share buyout.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-16 06:09 PM
    OT:
    Nvidia CEO Sees Smart Cars Getting Much Smarter - WSJ

At WSJ tech conference, Jen-Hsun Huang says technology for driverless cars evolving ‘way faster than Moore’s Law’

LAGUNA BEACH, Calif.— Nvidia Corp. Chief Executive Jen-Hsun Huang already lets his Tesla drive him much of the way to work on its own. But he predicts such vehicles will get much smarter in a hurry.

His company, whose chips are used to power autonomous driving and other artificial-intelligence applications, is just one player pushing the pace, Mr. Huang said Tuesday during an appearance at The Wall Street Journal’s WSJDLive 2016 global technology conference. The bigger factor is the race by just about every company that makes software to exploit what are called AI techniques in cars and other everyday devices, he said.

That means, once such technology is deployed in something like a smartcar, the software is continually updated over time based on data from all the cars on the road.

“The software becomes better and better,” Mr. Huang said.

As a result of the software race, and chips like Nvidia’s, the benefits are going to move much more quickly than the rate at which gains in conventional microprocessors accelerated innovation in industry’s like personal computers—a pace of innovation named after Intel Corp. co-founder Gordon Moore.
    “It’s going to move way faster than Moore’s Law,” Mr. Huang said.

Mr. Huang appeared at WSJDLive after two substantial wins for his company’s technology designs announced last week. Tesla Motors Inc. said it would use Nvidia’s chips to help power autonomous driving functions that the car maker plans to enable through future software updates. Nintendo Co., meanwhile, disclosed it was using Nvidia chips for its new Switch videogame console. Nvidia hadn’t placed a chip in a major game console since Sony’s PlayStation 3, released in 2006.

Nvidia’s shares have doubled this year, partly on optimism about artificial intelligence applications but also because of steady demand by personal computer users to improve the image quality on their systems.

Nvidia, based in Santa Clara, Calif., built its business by selling chips called graphics processing units, or GPUs, that help generate images in videogames. About a dozen years ago, Mr. Huang said, it adapted the same technology to be used for high-performance scientific calculations.

More recently, Mr. Huang has been on a quest to a push GPUs into a branch of AI known as deep learning, which uses computers to sift through vast troves of data for purposes such as image recognition without explicit programming instructions. Most of the big web companies—including Google Inc., Facebook Inc. and Microsoft Corp.—have used Nvidia technology for deep learning.

In cars, the Nvidia chips images from videocameras and other sensors to help detect pedestrians and other obstacles and for purposes such as interpreting road signs. In the future, Mr. Huang said, the sensors and other technology could help detect hazards like cars coming around corners or motorcycles splitting lanes.

Eventually, Mr. Huang would like his car to not just drive him to work, but to recognize who he is, set up his conference calls and handle just about all the functions of a personal assistant. “The AI inside the car is going to be pretty amazing,” he said.
    10-25-16 06:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hi DaSchwantz!

Do you have an idea of how much working capital (or cash if you'd like) a profitable, software-centric, BlackBerry would need to function optimally? Just trying to figure out how much they could spend if they felt a big acquisition would make sense. I remember a quote from JC saying that's what he did in the final turnaround of Sybase. He did a big (risky) acquisition which turned out to be a smart move.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    10-25-16 06:22 PM
    Yeah, I think I will be adding this to my collection.
    May as well buy it now with the added bundles if goodies that I may not use.

Still want a pkb that's not a slider, it those leaked specs look a little light, so I guess this is the stopgap
    Got my shipping notification!
    Should have it before the weekend!

Can't wait to try out the camera
    10-25-16 07:24 PM
    Wow!!! Explains the direction of the stock since last Earnings... depressing.... CEO Chen needs to hit one out of the park....

Posted via CB10
    Honestly what can Chen do? The new BlackBerry is a start-up company with many haters out there.
    morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    10-25-16 07:25 PM
    Would have been zero with the last leadership. Or, at best, a $5/share buyout.

Posted via CB10
    Didn't Prem offer $9 buyout at the time before bringing in Chen?
    10-25-16 07:28 PM
    Didn't Prem offer $9 buyout at the time before bringing in Chen?
    Ya, but we all know that the financing was due to the fact that he couldn't get the support for a full buyout. That's why there weren't any other bidders. They were waiting for a failed attempt and a low ball offer. That's exactly what John Sculley was waiting for.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-16 07:55 PM
    10-25-16 08:29 PM
    Pretty bad that they have to tell them this is a priority.
    Superfly_FR and rarsen like this.
    10-25-16 11:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    Except... Watching the dtek60 launch he confirms this is the last blackberry device made and sold by them (go to 15.45) so when he talks about more phones he must mean by the Indonesian partner (since that is the only partner so far). I guess they took mercury around the back of the woodshed unless the Indonesians are going to make it for their market.
    10-26-16 02:37 AM
    Is anyone else annoyed that Apple is stealing workers away from Blackberry's QNX team? It's in the Bloomberg article DaSchwantz posted. Can we please have some positive BBRY news... like now!
    alludba likes this.
    10-26-16 06:19 AM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Got my shipping notification!
    Should have it before the weekend!

Can't wait to try out the camera
    Nice! Please share your experiences with it!.. I know you have all the latest blackBerry Android ones also.... still rocking my day one Passport....

Posted via CB10
    10-26-16 06:27 AM
    Nice! Please share your experiences with it!.. I know you have all the latest blackBerry Android ones also.... still rocking my day one Passport....

Posted via CB10
    Will do. It actually just got here half hour ago.

About 24.5 hours from submitting my order to my hot little hands!
    Impressive.

Will check back later with my report, off to pick merlot now

And what could be the biggest off topic, and longest off topic reply to DaSchwantz...
    Yes, it was a great icewine season this past January!

We just spread the bird netting in this year's crop and it looks great too

In fact 2016 will be a great Ontario wine vintage, it was tonnes of work with the drought and keeping the plants alive, but the Grape quality is excellent!
    10-26-16 08:36 AM
    More on this later
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-57112.jpg  
    10-26-16 08:38 AM
    Having just returned from business trip to China in a unrelated sector, some general OT info from Related Technology files where I also detected the spread between iPhone and other brands including local is shrinking. My Chinese plane neighbor admiting his buying an iPhone 7 was mainly for show-off purposes:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ap...001248475.html
    "The world's most valuable publicly traded company said improved sales from China were around the corner, despite revenue falling almost 30 percent from the country in the latest quarter. Apple's fortunes are strongly tied to the success of the iPhone, which accounts for two-thirds of its revenue."

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ch...W4tQ0E-;_ylv=3
    Some Chinese iPhone owners are giving their old models a makeover to look like the latest iPhone 7, rather than buying new - a trend that could dent Apple Inc's efforts to boost sales in what has been its biggest growth driver. But consumers and retailers said the iPhone maker faces an uphill task to convert Samsung fans. One Samsung user wrote online that "an exploding Note 7 is still better than an un-innovative iPhone 7."
    Last edited by rarsen; 10-26-16 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Added info.
    10-26-16 10:13 AM
    Warning : depending of your job, this might not be SFW (safe for work).
    Nothing offensive though, G-rated but could be a little embarrassing !

Best "support" ever
    DITA VON TEESE Savoir Faire Blackberry
    10-26-16 11:43 AM
    OT:
    Meet the Man Fighting to Protect Your Secrets - WSJ
    Michele Mosca is a co-founder of the Institute for Quantum Computing and a founding member of the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
    10-26-16 12:36 PM
    Except... Watching the dtek60 launch he confirms this is the last blackberry device made and sold by them (go to 15.45) so when he talks about more phones he must mean by the Indonesian partner (since that is the only partner so far). I guess they took mercury around the back of the woodshed unless the Indonesians are going to make it for their market.
    I think the "plan" may really be to have all hardware off the books by the end of the fiscal year. That way the only negative will be the declining Service Fees from BIS, but those aren't costing them money to support like hardware did. And with hardware being licensing.. only cost is really Android development. If that is even necessary... Don't think the draw in Indonesia is BlackBerry special sauce, just the name and possibly the keyboard.
    cgk and JeepBB like this.
    10-26-16 01:22 PM
    I think the "plan" may really be to have all hardware off the books by the end of the fiscal year. That way the only negative will be the declining Service Fees from BIS, but those aren't costing them money to support like hardware did. And with hardware being licensing.. only cost is really Android development. If that is even necessary... Don't think the draw in Indonesia is BlackBerry special sauce, just the name and possibly the keyboard.
    They confirmed that in the conference call, so yes.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-16 02:38 PM
    Is anyone else annoyed that Apple is stealing workers away from Blackberry's QNX team? It's in the Bloomberg article DaSchwantz posted. Can we please have some positive BBRY news... like now!
    Well, yes, but it's up to the qnx team to keep pushing faster, and leverage the relationships with auto makers already built.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-16 02:44 PM
    They confirmed that in the conference call, so yes.

Posted via CB10
    Don't think they have confirmed if there is or is not a need for development of the Blackberry Android OS.... "secret sauce".
    10-26-16 03:04 PM
    BlackBerry - Brand management top of mind.....just not ready to reveal how it will be done

BlackBerry won’t just sit by the fire toasting marshmallows while licensees build the new BlackBerrys. Wenger has committed to promoting the brand, something that wasn’t discussed at the September announcement.

“Brand management is something that’s top of our minds. We will continue to market and promote the BlackBerry brand. As we transition to the licensing model, that’ll be more clear. We’re just not ready to share that now.”

BlackBerry design boss tells El Reg: 'We're not getting out of phones' The Register

The Reg did a nice review

BlackBerry DTEK60: An elegant flagship for grown-ups

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10..._for_grownups/
    10-26-16 04:46 PM
113,250 ... 40034004400540064007 ...