• No

427 37.82%
    More from Alex:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/thisisFox...987648/video/1

Probably no Android PP.
    10-05-16 12:27 PM
    And yet some more...
    BlackBerry: You can't just roll up and make one ? The Register

Interview BlackBerry says it won�t license its brand and security hardened Android �to any Tom **** and Harry� as it tries to maintain the value of its brand.

The BlackBerry senior VP for sales for its Mobility division Alex Thurber - stopping to talk to El Reg as he sailed through London on his honeymoon - also told us BlackBerry had interested potential licensees for its BB10 platform, and would consider licensing its keyboard know-how too.

Last week BlackBerry announced that, with the Mobility Unit failing to meet its profitability target, the company was switching to licensing its software and brand instead, although it would produce at least two more BlackBerry-branded devices.

It was no surprise, as Chen had speculated about licensing the brand in New York in July - but nobody noticed. (See BlackBerry chief: We don't have to make phones to make phones

�If you listen to John Chen there, he says exactly what�s going to happen,� he noted.

Thurber added that the hardened Android will qualify for NIAP certification, a set of security standards required for government use.

�We will have a NIAP-certified Android next year,� Thurber confirmed.

Typically only devices with secure containers have qualified, such as Samsung�s KNOX or LG�s GATE

So if BlackBerry considers you to have a credible business model, you could be making the BlackBerrys that BlackBerry itself never got around to making, and bid for some lucrative customers.

Thurber calls BlackBerry's switch an �outsourcing� move rather than a major strategic change in direction. BlackBerry was already taking third-party reference designs for its phones, such as the DTEK50 phone, which uses a TCL reference design. TCL owns the Alcatel brand, which sells a version without the BlackBerry keys and hardened Linux, as the Idol 4. Under the new arrangement, Chen told financial analysts, the licensee will take on distribution, logistics and repair.

�We�re very careful who we�re working with. We want to be very positive; the contracts are long and complex and we�re involved in every stage of the way. We�ll know what�s going on at every stage of the manufacturing process - and we�ll still inject our hardware keys at the right moment.�

He explained: �We continue to support the BlackBerry 10 operating system; some companies are interested in licensing it for handsets. If it�s a solid business model going forward we�ll work with a 3rd manufacturer. But we�re not close enough to say we�re going to do that."

BlackBerry 10 users have been waiting some time for the NIAP-certified 10.3.3 update. It was originally promised for Q1. Was this because BlackBerry had laid off all the BB10 engineers?

"Don't read anything into that," said Thurber. "There were a variety of different issues both internal and external. "We will continue to provide support for the product, until some future date."

Thurbur had 10 years' channel experience at Cisco, then stints at Intel�s McAfee and at firewall company WatchGuard. Clearly when BlackBerry hired him it was looking beyond its traditional device distribution partnerships with operators. Towards what exactly?

Thurber says it�s because technology sales are converging. In many markets, operators don�t subsidise devices so much any more, if at all, and this opens up an opportunity for end-to-end companies like BlackBerry.

�If you�re a reseller or partner who knows about security, then being the trusted advisor to help is an advantage.�

BlackBerry opened up its Android bundle to the consumer via the Google Play Store in August and Thurber says it has reached 100,000 downloads. The Hub+ bundle includes an email client, PIM apps and Password Keeper.

�A number of large companies are interesting in site licensing Hub+ for all of their employees. It�s not just a great productivity tool but new users like it as well. But there are no plans to throw the BlackBerry keyboard and DTEK up for grabs. You�ll need to buy a BlackBerry-branded phone for that.

�Those are core to BlackBerry. I don�t know of anything that�s imminent to change that.�

BlackBerry's DTEK60 is imminent, and its promised to bring a QWERTY Android to market too.
    10-05-16 12:28 PM
    10-05-16 01:07 PM
    Most of BlackBerry's acquisitions have done very little (astonishing tribe,, etc) to impact the company in any meaningful or serious way... (exceptions could be Good, Athoc),... most just reward few key people (principal shareholders) who quickly exit once they cash in..and their "non compete" expire...

Moving the needle?

...those that have a Major positive impact on future revenues, customers, profits, penetration into new markets, introduction of game-changing innovative technologies --- which propels the company BlackBerry to grow at a significantly quicker pace, than via organic growth....

Acquisitions like this do nothing, IMO, ...Just waste valuable cash.... and redirect scarce resources to focus on HR and "integration issues"... but they rarely " move the needle", ... and end up as writeoffs a year or two later...

Posted via CB10
    Fair enough. Thanks for sharing your pov. Taking a brief look at their website, I wonder if the tech they have could help bolster bbry's iot play.

Good news, some of the more successful acquisitions were made more recently. Perhaps the current management team is getting better at m&a strategy.

Time will tell, but we all hope so.

(7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic -> PRIV)
    10-05-16 04:41 PM
    For anyone interested, the Perimeter Institute is doing a seminar tonight on quantum theory and computing and how it affects the security of our future use of the Internet.

https://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/ou...lecture-series

Posted via CB10
    masterful, Corbu, ZayDub and 4 others like this.
    10-05-16 05:00 PM
    More positive views:

Should BlackBerry (BBRY) Be On Your Radar Now? - NASDAQ.com
    "This wireless solutions provider has actually seen estimates rise over the past month for the current fiscal year by about 55.6%. But that is not yet reflected in its price, as the stock gained only nearly 2% over the same time frame.
    You should not be concerned about the price remaining muted going forward. This year's expected earnings growth over the prior year is 85.1%, which should ultimately translate into price appreciation. And if this isn't enough, BBRY currently carries a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy) which further underscores the potential for its outperformance."
    ZayDub, morganplus8, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    10-05-16 06:38 PM
    For anyone interested, the Perimeter Institute is doing a seminar tonight on quantum theory and computing and how it affects the security of our future use of the Internet.

https://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/ou...lecture-series

Posted via CB10
    Not sure if anyone is watching, but imagine the accuracy and advantage the first firms would have in using quantum computing to establish probability. The current algos already do a good job, but it could get so much better and faster.

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub, morganplus8, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    10-05-16 07:06 PM
    It aint over until ......

BlackBerry will have new keyboard model within six months, executive says - The Globe and Mail

It’s been an open secret that BlackBerry has at least one more smartphone with a keyboard that hasn’t been released.

But chairman and CEO John Chen said last week that he hadn’t decided whether it would be brought to market.

The company’s senior vice-president for global device sales, Alex Thurber, was less vague in his interview with BBC.

“There will still be a keyboard-based BlackBerry device, designed and distributed within the next six months,” he said.

“I think there’s a demand for keyboard phones. As we’ve been showing mockups of what we’ve been working on, to our carrier and distributor partners, they are very excited about this,” Thurber said in the three-minute video.
    Pre-market is looking interesting.
    10-06-16 07:58 AM
    10-06-16 08:31 AM
    Damn right. I have finally started using the priv over the passport. And am getting used to it.
    BUT ... I miss the keyboard and the slider keyboard is useless to me

With the priv, I have the same apps that I have in passport, but I must admit they work smoother on my priv, as far as the security cam apps, voip apps, those types of things.

For Netflix and Facebook, I either side load or use mini browser on PP and worked great

I still want a BlackBerry file explorer and I need the calendar time and date entry cleaned up on the BlackBerry Droid version.

But if they bring out a squarish BlackBerry with android and keyboard, I'm all over it,

But it better be flagship specks, cameras and memory and speakers

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    ZayDub, morganplus8 and Mr BBRY like this.
    10-06-16 10:33 AM
    What's this banter about BlackBerry buying Allot?
    10-06-16 10:35 AM
  12. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Not sure if anyone is watching, but imagine the accuracy and advantage the first firms would have in using quantum computing to establish probability. The current algos already do a good job, but it could get so much better and faster.

Posted via CB10
    Quantum Computer.. rare access during my private tour.. Institute for Quantum Computing, University of Waterloo... By the way, Mike Lazaridis of BlackBerry fame heads up a $100 million Quantum Valley initiative which he believes will be the next major breakthrough..... Waterloo will be known not as Silicon Valley North, but Quantum Valley... Canada...world leading...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20160908_160230.jpg

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, Corbu, cjcampbell and 8 others like this.
    10-06-16 11:33 AM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BBRY up nicely today (big smile) ....
    dusdal, rarsen, YUUUUP and 6 others like this.
    10-06-16 01:24 PM
    Because you don't offer the secret sauce to the kid next block. Whatever the number of ingredients or their nature. As long as no one can figure it, you still hold a value you don't want to fire sale, especially when the receipt is a key element for your preferred market.

Corbu, alludba, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    10-06-16 03:04 PM
    Because you don't offer the secret sauce to the kid next block. Whatever the number of ingredients or their nature. As long as no one can figure it, you still hold a value you don't want to fire sale, especially when the receipt is a key element for your preferred market.

As far as I can tell, nobody who licensee will see any secret sauce?

The only process (as far as I can tell) that is 'secret' is how BBRY generates keys for qualcomm/ARMs trustzone that is build into the bog-standard chipsets. I would think that any licensee who wants to pay for that (and they aren't required to) will be paying for someone from BBRY who overseas that process.
    10-06-16 03:09 PM

The only process (as far as I can tell) that is 'secret' is how BBRY generates keys for qualcomm/ARMs trustzone that is build into the bog-standard chipsets. I would think that any licensee who wants to pay for that (and they aren't required to) will be paying for someone from BBRY who overseas that process.
    The secret sauce is what I'm cooking now! I believe that's the sauce that SF was referring to. It's got my own special blend and it tastes so good!!!!!
    10-06-16 03:36 PM
    10-06-16 03:48 PM

"As far as I can tell" is revealing
    How / when they cook and inject it is a key element. We all know what's in the Coke receipt but no one ever got the manner to assemble it and get the same taste ... despite the thousands of people involved daily in the making of the "base".

A close friend of mine owns (family affair) the " Relais de l'Enrecote', known for the sauce they serve with their meat; you will find numerous attempts but none is really the same (ask Kevin !); Ah, finally some kind of poetry in this bits world !

Corbu, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    10-06-16 04:02 PM
    How / when they cook and inject it is a key element. We all know what's in the Coke receipt but no one ever got the manner to assemble it and get the same taste ... despite the thousands of people involved daily in the making of the "base".

A close friend of mine owns (family affair) the " Relais de l'Enrecote', known for the sauce they serve with their meat; you will find numerous attempts but none is really the same (ask Kevin !); Ah, finally some kind of poetry in this bits world !

I believe that I found the secret ingredient in Coke.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine
    Last edited by bbjdog; 10-06-16 at 05:24 PM.
    10-06-16 04:27 PM
    Bs

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    10-06-16 04:47 PM
    I believe that I found the secret ingredient in Coke.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine
    Lol

10-06-16 05:50 PM
    Instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BK_q3khjDCE/

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-14550182_1133144646774695_2594815139102326784_n.jpg

blackberry No need to worry: these are definitely NOT the last BlackBerry-branded phones you’ll see. The only difference is that instead of developing new handsets in-house, we’ll be licensing our much-loved smartphone software to trusted companies to make new BlackBerry devices. For more information, click the link in our bio. #TeamBlackBerry
    Mr BBRY, sidhuk, alludba and 4 others like this.
    10-06-16 08:43 PM
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BLMRZINDq8s/

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-14449147_1026018217514719_5139460155334721536_n.jpg

blackberry A major Canadian cross-border trucking company has deployed BlackBerry Radar, an Internet of Things device that tracks fleets from anywhere in the world. The device collects real-time data on a shipment trailer’s location, route, interior temperature and humidity, and whether a trailer is loaded or empty or its doors open or closed. The data collected by Radar helps transportation companies ship faster and save money by preventing damaged or spoiled shipments or theft. To see the full story, click the link in our bio. #TeamBlackBerry #BlackBerryRadar
    Last edited by Corbu; 10-06-16 at 09:56 PM.
    Mr BBRY, sidhuk, alludba and 3 others like this.
    10-06-16 08:44 PM
    How / when they cook and inject it is a key element.
    Unless you know something that isn't evident in tear-downs, it's standard hardware, there's nothing special in it - it's just most android OEMs don't do anything with it because there is no added value. The value is in the key generation process which uses a non-standard method that nobody else has access to. I don't see BBRY sharing that important IP with partners, they will just generate the keys for them. What you can cook and inject can be done by any ODM or OEM but not with their propriety process that BBRY owns.

That's leaving aside that licensees don't have to include it to start with if they don't want to pay for the extra.
    10-07-16 05:43 AM
    Any ideas about what drove the spike in volume at the end of day yesterday?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 07:15 AM
113,256 ... 39953996399739983999 ...