View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Thank you guys for all the valuable info you got here
    Did not sell, waiting a bit more to see if we break the $8.30 in the coming days (special thx M+8).

For reference,

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    09-28-16 12:17 PM
    Thank you guys for all the valuable info you got here
    Did not sell, waiting a bit more to see if we break the $8.30 in the coming days (special thx M+8).

For reference,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	314 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	409162
    Here is the chart complete with the 50-dma Golden Cross over the 200-dma:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-sept-28-2016.png

So glad to hear that you can stay with the trade awhile longer. We are doing well today, close to over-bought, a nice pop already and now the general market is coming back with BBRY reacting to that firming, that's relative strength for you. We have spent 2016 in a range of $ 6.50/shr to $ 8.25/shr and as you can see, we found support just below the top of that range and now we are moving above it. The target is the 52 week high here so the potential gain is real. Let's see how we finish up today, we haven't heard from analysts yet and it takes time to move investors to push their buttons and buy for a breakout here. So far, a great day. GL
    ZayDub, Corbu, rarsen and 10 others like this.
    09-28-16 12:45 PM
    Maybe we'll close above the magic $8.30 as M8 stated...fingers crossed!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20160928_124657.png

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    09-28-16 12:47 PM
    I think he already has something in the works otherwise you don't announced this kind of stuff

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    Yeah but I like the fact he's giving Amber the scoop.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 12:55 PM
    09-28-16 01:00 PM
    and man do they have cash to spend
    Yeah especially with the new model for mobile they no longer need much of a cash cushion at all...can start to spend even more on revenue growth and share price support.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 01:06 PM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Yeah but I like the fact he's giving Amber the scoop.

Posted via CB10
    She's consistently been the most competent, informed and objective person in media on the Canadian scene... as far as BlackBerry has been concerned... makes total sense she gets rewarded with any "exclusives"...

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, sidhuk, masterful and 7 others like this.
    09-28-16 01:06 PM
    Can never get enough of Amber:
    BlackBerry CEO says QWERTY keyboard will live on, even after outsourcing move - Video - BNN

BlackBerry chief executive John Chen told BNN’s Amber Kanwar in an interview that the company plans to license its signature QWERTY keyboard to manufacturers, even after outsourcing its internal hardware development.
    Well said, world traveler!

Another must see video!
    09-28-16 01:10 PM
    Yes I can never get enough of Amber.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    iamagod likes this.
    09-28-16 01:15 PM
    Corbu, my question for BBRY management is whether they plan to license out BB10 for others to build BB10 phones for customers with high security needs such as governments, military, etc. In other words, will they continue to develop/maintain BB10 OS as an in-house asset, and will Good application development/management platform add support for BB10 OS.
    Corbu, rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    09-28-16 01:16 PM
    Corbu, my question for BBRY management is whether they plan to license out BB10 for others to build BB10 phones for customers with high security needs such as governments, military, etc. In other words, will they continue to develop/maintain BB10 OS as an in-house asset, and will Good application development/management platform add support for BB10 OS.
    I don't think any other company would want to license out BB10 either since they'd pretty much be facing the difficulties with it that BlackBerry had to begin with. Low market share, app limitations, etc. Other companies like Samsung with deep pocket books may be able to afford to market and promote bb10 benefits better but I don't think anyone will take on that task when the only buyers are regulated industries and they don't purchase enough devices to make it profitable. Remember anyone producing BB10 phones has to buy unique drivers for the phones and it's not cost effective if they can't recoup that investment in the low quantities of device sales.

Plus if BlackBerry can get android secured to the point on par w/ BB10, the likelihood of bb10 being licenses becomes even less IMO

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    cgk and alludba like this.
    09-28-16 01:35 PM
    09-28-16 02:02 PM
    1. How much of their cash cushion do they intend to use for acquisitions over the next 2-3 quarters?
    2. What is the approx. success rate for getting companies onto their MDM/EMM plans rather than having them opt for a competing platform?
    3. Who is their biggest competitor in the MDM/EMM arena?
    4. Of the SAF revenue, what's the split (%) between BIS (consumer) vs BES (enterprise) revenue?

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, morganplus8 and Mr BBRY like this.
    09-28-16 02:14 PM
    Finding support just above the previous resistance area 8.23-8.26. Let it bounce a few more times then run into a HOD before the close.
    ZayDub likes this.
    09-28-16 02:24 PM
    masterful, rarsen, alludba and 3 others like this.
    09-28-16 02:31 PM
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...111553946.html
    BlackBerry avoids smartphone risk with outsource move: CEO
    rarsen and alludba like this.
    09-28-16 02:32 PM
    BlackBerry Can?t Let Software Get Hung Up - WSJ

BlackBerry’s exit from handsets puts all hope on software, where competition is fierce

Sept. 28, 2016 3:23 p.m. ET

Starting off big didn’t help BlackBerry survive the modern smartphone handset market. The company has placed a rather large bet that the opposite track will work in software.

At its peak five years ago, BlackBerry sold more than 50 million handsets a year. That has shrunk to just over 2 million over the past 12 months. In the fiscal second quarter ended Aug. 31, the company said it recognized revenue on only 400,000 devices—down by half from the same period a year earlier.

So making a final exit from hardware was a no-brainer, though not exactly a simple matter. The company had previously outsourced production and distribution to third parties. Wednesday’s news basically involves the remnants of development and design. These, too, will be outsourced to third parties, as there remains some market segments in which BlackBerry-branded handsets are still in demand. The company will receive a royalty on these sales once the changes are made.

That leaves BlackBerry to focus on its burgeoning software business. It started very small, but the company has seen some success of late. Trailing 12-month revenue grew 66% year over year to $566 million. This has allowed BlackBerry to reach an “inflection point,” as CEO John Chen put it Wednesday. More revenue was generated by software than hardware in the August quarter for the first time in the company’s history.

That allows BlackBerry to justify its exit from handsets. But success in software is hardly assured. For one, the company has previously noted that some new software contracts are still attached to devices. It remains unclear how those types of deals would be affected by the latest move. And the software business is also fiercely competitive, with VMware, Microsoft, SAP, Citrix and IBM all targeting the same enterprise mobility management segment as BlackBerry, according to IDC.

Although hanging up on handsets was the right move, it will take all of the company’s efforts to avoid getting dropped again.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bn-qa562_berryh_g_20160928143724.jpg
    rarsen, morganplus8 and Mr BBRY like this.
    09-28-16 02:33 PM
    Anyone have the full article?

09-28-16 02:36 PM
    Thx corbu!

09-28-16 02:38 PM
    Better than expected financials...upgraded outlook...outsourcing phones...

...only a 40 cent increase...yawn

Posted on my Still Awesome Z30
    DrWormBoy likes this.
    09-28-16 03:05 PM
    Did anyone notice that the TCL 950 was also officially launched today?

Posted via CB10
    fanBBRY, Corbu and rarsen like this.
    09-28-16 03:37 PM
    Ok, I'll admit upfront that I didn't get a chance to listen in on the conference call, and I've been periodically speed reading through today's posts. Thank you everyone.

To add to my list of questions:
    9) What does licensing (or outsourcing) hardware design mean in terms of security? Are licensees just licensing the "BlackBerry" name? What's going to happen to the hardware "root of trust" or the "hardened version of Android" that were on the Priv and DTEK50? This kind of goes back to one of my earlier questions regarding the effectiveness of BlackBerry's hardening of Android, based on recently disclosed Android vulnerabilities. Will future phones bearing the BlackBerry name be any more secure than any other Android phone? What will be happening to the monthly security updates for BlackBerry Android devices?

Or, am I completely misunderstanding what the future hardware plans are?

Thanks!
    rarsen, Corbu, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    09-28-16 04:05 PM
    Ok, I'll admit upfront that I didn't get a chance to listen in on the conference call, and I've been periodically speed reading through today's posts. Thank you everyone.

To add to my list of questions:
    9) What does licensing (or outsourcing) hardware design mean in terms of security? Are licensees just licensing the "BlackBerry" name? What's going to happen to the hardware "root of trust" or the "hardened version of Android" that were on the Priv and DTEK50? This kind of goes back to one of my earlier questions regarding the effectiveness of BlackBerry's hardening of Android, based on recently disclosed Android vulnerabilities. Will future phones bearing the BlackBerry name be any more secure than any other Android phone? What will be happening to the monthly security updates for BlackBerry Android devices?

Or, am I completely misunderstanding what the future hardware plans are?

Thanks!
    Chen said in the earnings call it was down to the licensee how much security they wanted to put in there - if they don't want to enable the qualcomm/arm security (which is all that stuff ever was) they don't have to.

So someone could turn out an Blackberry phone with little security or rather security no different to any other device.
    BanffMoose likes this.
    09-28-16 04:11 PM
    Hi fellas,

I am still alive, and am holding my BBRY. Great to see all of you posting the news, and of course, Morgan with the charts and insights!

Staying long and strong. Revenue projections have been looking good quarter after quarter. I am a bit sad that Blackberry is not going to design its own handset anymore. I was waiting for the next phone with a physical keyboard to be Blackberry's own design.
    Last edited by JLagoon; 09-28-16 at 09:16 PM.
    09-28-16 04:35 PM
    Chen said in the earnings call it was down to the licensee how much security they wanted to put in there - if they don't want to enable the qualcomm/arm security (which is all that stuff ever was) they don't have to.
    Thanks. That's why I asked Corbu if he could ask the Android hardening questions. I was trying to find out if the hardware root of trust and other software security efforts were in any way effective, or is it just marketing puffery.

So someone could turn out an Blackberry phone with little security or rather security no different to any other device.
    That's what I figured. Will BlackBerry be implementing/requiring labeling to indicate which level of "BlackBerry security" a licensed phone is equipped with? More than likely a "wait and see" I guess.
    09-28-16 04:40 PM
113,251 ... 39893990399139923993 ...