1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    09-28-16 08:36 AM
    09-28-16 08:37 AM
    Stocks to Watch: BlackBerry, Tempur Sealy, Wells Fargo - MoneyBeat - WSJ

Among the companies with shares expected to trade actively in Wednesday’s session are BlackBerry, Tempur Sealy International, and Wells Fargo & Co.

BlackBerry on Wednesday said it would outsource the making of handsets–the business that once allowed it to dominate the consumer smartphone market–and instead turn its full focus to developing secure software and services to drive growth. BlackBerry shares rose 3.1% to $8.12 in premarket trading.
    And this:

Wells Fargo & Co. Chairman and Chief Executive John Stumpf will forfeit $41 million over the bank’s burgeoning sales scandal, marking one of the biggest rebukes to the head of a major U.S. financial institution.
    09-28-16 08:39 AM
    alludba, Mr BBRY, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    09-28-16 08:41 AM
    A call for questions...

If you have any additional/updated questions for BBRY management, please post them here today.

Deadline: 10 PM EST

Answers in the coming days...

Thanks!
    Mr BBRY, rarsen and randall2580 like this.
    09-28-16 08:46 AM
    A call for questions...

If you have any additional/updated questions for BBRY management, please post them here today.

Deadline: 10 PM EST

Answers in the coming days...

Thanks!
    Clarify the dtek50/60 hardware arrangement. Is there shared risk. Or royalty per handset. Do sales of the device count as revenue and if yes they are buying from TLC and then reselling or how does this work.
    Corbu likes this.
    09-28-16 08:51 AM
    Is it the EOD already!
    09-28-16 08:52 AM
    My thoughts on the Q:

Don't get me wrong here, I love the company but I'm trying to see it from all sides in terms of performance and BB managements' message to shareholders here.

They manage money very well, SW numbers are solid and we can see why MOBL is not going to survive as a one trick pony here. Analysts had to beat the underlying data out of BB when BB could have answered most of the potential questions in the monologue or pre-question period. Getting out of HW means selling off the underlying assets of 44,000 patents, infrastructure etc., so BB is trying to break-even, and trying to generate a very modest profit down the road while letting their star asset depreciate in value. It is clear that they want to be able to resurrect HW down the road so this will be seen as a stop gap move until a HW plan materializes.

The result of all of this was time wasted asking about the HW program and how it will look going forward instead of concentrating on SW and acquisitions. Chen made a brief comment about acquisitions that no one caught, he seems to be focused in the right place here but we are still caught up in this huge effort to deal with such a small problem in HW and we can't get past it. They lost $ 8 MM in HW, spent a ton of time bringing that value down and outsourcing risk, imagine if they spent that time on high margin products .....

In conclusion, I like the report, HW is probably neutral now, software is steady at 30% organic growth including the chance of some IP money, they are a small company with a large share float but you can see them growing with next to nothing in risk. At some point, I would like to see them focus solely on SW in these meetings and show us where they see a future for BB as the #1 source for security.

On a TA level, we need to close above $ 8.00/shr and that's after all of those who purchased BBRY in the $ 7.20/shr range, two weeks ago, move on. This shouldn't be a problem and the key to a sustained rally is in the closing above the $ 8.30/shr which might not happen today. If the stock can close above $ 8.30/shr there is some room to run here. Analysts for their part have been wrong on revenues expectations and now EPS. We should finally see them raise their targets in the days ahead to more realistic levels in the $ 8.00's and $ 9.00's worst case. We have a real challenge to get much above $ 8.00/shr today but it should happen going forward as long term money takes a position in the stock. If Chen told us they were getting out of HW completely, including the sale of the assets pertaining to HW, the stock would be over $ 10.00 right now. So why save HW, who knows, I'll buy a couple of BB10 phones and look for them to move away from HW for a couple of years.

In conclusion, I liked the report, hoped we could stop talking about HW until they are ready to close it down, Chen clearly wants to hold that door open by not announcing asset sales so we need to look at Radar and SW as a driver and stop the nonsense about HW. When you look at software alone, it is exciting, they own the space and are valuable to others as a way to buy more revenues so I do see them as a buyout target as the balance sheet gets cleaned up. You have to admit, BBRY is cheap down here, a much better investment then in the past when it was trading above $ 10.00/shr. Let's hope the analysts can get past the hard work of prying data out of BB and reward us with $ 10.00 plus valuations.
    alludba, Corbu, sidhuk and 15 others like this.
    09-28-16 08:53 AM
    So are we finally going to be valued like a quickly growing software company and not a old declining hardware manufacturer
    09-28-16 08:59 AM
    My thoughts on the Q:

Don't get me wrong here, I love the company but I'm trying to see it from all sides in terms of performance and BB managements' message to shareholders here.

They manage money very well, SW numbers are solid and we can see why MOBL is not going to survive as a one trick pony here. Analysts had to beat the underlying data out of BB when BB could have answered most of the potential questions in the monologue or pre-question period. Getting out of HW means selling off the underlying assets of 44,000 patents, infrastructure etc., so BB is trying to break-even, and trying to generate a very modest profit down the road while letting their star asset depreciate in value. It is clear that they want to be able to resurrect HW down the road so this will be seen as a stop gap move until a HW plan materializes.

The result of all of this was time wasted asking about the HW program and how it will look going forward instead of concentrating on SW and acquisitions. Chen made a brief comment about acquisitions that no one caught, he seems to be focused in the right place here but we are still caught up in this huge effort to deal with such a small problem in HW and we can't get past it. They lost $ 8 MM in HW, spent a ton of time bringing that value down and outsourcing risk, imagine if they spent that time on high margin products .....

In conclusion, I like the report, HW is probably neutral now, software is steady at 30% organic growth including the chance of some IP money, they are a small company with a large share float but you can see them growing with next to nothing in risk. At some point, I would like to see them focus solely on SW in these meetings and show us where they see a future for BB as the #1 source for security.

On a TA level, we need to close above $ 8.00/shr and that's after all of those who purchased BBRY in the $ 7.20/shr range, two weeks ago, move on. This shouldn't be a problem and the key to a sustained rally is in the closing above the $ 8.30/shr which might not happen today. If the stock can close above $ 8.30/shr there is some room to run here. Analysts for their part have been wrong on revenues expectations and now EPS. We should finally see them raise their targets in the days ahead to more realistic levels in the $ 8.00's and $ 9.00's worst case. We have a real challenge to get much above $ 8.00/shr today but it should happen going forward as long term money takes a position in the stock. If Chen told us they were getting out of HW completely, including the sale of the assets pertaining to HW, the stock would be over $ 10.00 right now. So why save HW, who knows, I'll buy a couple of BB10 phones and look for them to move away from HW for a couple of years.

In conclusion, I liked the report, hoped we could stop talking about HW until they are ready to close it down, Chen clearly wants to hold that door open by not announcing asset sales so we need to look at Radar and SW as a driver and stop the nonsense about HW. When you look at software alone, it is exciting, they own the space and are valuable to others as a way to buy more revenues so I do see them as a buyout target as the balance sheet gets cleaned up. You have to admit, BBRY is cheap down here, a much better investment then in the past when it was trading above $ 10.00/shr. Let's hope the analysts can get past the hard work of prying data out of BB and reward us with $ 10.00 plus valuations.
    Thanks Morgan+8. There is a video at the bottom of this page has same sentiments.
    http://www.bnn.ca/g20-leaders-privat...b0b7b1609f1017
    With title McCreath: BlackBerry's Chen is going software shopping in the U.S.
    I couldn't separate the video from the news. Sorry

Posted Via blackberry passport.
    Corbu, morganplus8, 3MIKE and 5 others like this.
    09-28-16 09:18 AM
    09-28-16 09:22 AM
    Two other HW deals in the works is China and India. Would be nice if they close the deals within this upcoming quarter. But like JC said, not guaranteed. When he was talking about the revenue structure (in QA) from the HW deal, I can't help but think it's almost done or it might be my wishful thinking. Lol
    Corbu, morganplus8, sidhuk and 6 others like this.
    09-28-16 10:04 AM
    09-28-16 10:07 AM
    Thanks Morgan+8. There is a video at the bottom of this page has same sentiments.
    G20 leaders privately share economic fears about Trump - Article - BNN
    With title McCreath: BlackBerry's Chen is going software shopping in the U.S.
    I couldn't separate the video from the news. Sorry

Posted Via blackberry passport.
    Nice find, he does share my opinion on BlackBerry and I like his enthusiasm. Getting out of HW involves selling off the assets and using those funds for something more productive. I see it this way, if you gave me $ 1 MM bucks to invest and I returned $ 10,000 to you each year, you would take those funds away from me. The same goes for HW assets, when does it make sense to spend so much time, money and effort to make such a small return on your investment? I see Corbu just posted from Amber that the keyboard technology is up for grabs now, that should be really interesting, we'll finally get an honest opinion from the marketplace on whether consumers really want their PBKs back or not. I like BB, their software model works great and man do they have cash to spend, it only makes sense to do a refinance of those bonds if you can generate more than the cost to carry the debt. Let's get Yellen off the microphone and see if this general market can turn positive and drive BBRY close to $ 8.30/shr for the close. GL
    ZayDub, Corbu, randall2580 and 8 others like this.
    09-28-16 10:20 AM
    This makes me sad, yet happy at the same time since they will get revenue... I wonder if it will only be licensed to android OEMS or if they will license it to companies the likes of Typo for iPhone usage...or if it will be licensed in the sense of licensing to other companies for the sole purpose of creating BlackBerry's next line of pkb devices

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    09-28-16 10:23 AM
    I think he already has something in the works otherwise you don't announced this kind of stuff

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    09-28-16 10:34 AM
    Will as a consumer ever see another BlackBerry device in local Canadian suppliers like Bell and Rogers. Second question, are future phones still in play and one with a keyboard. Last question, if BlackBerry succeeds as a software company, will they then use some of their profits to market their phones better, especially in North America and with in store knowledge support of BlackBerry products?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-16 10:36 AM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Excellent!!! Additional Revenue streams for BlackBerry, and pkb lovers will have new phone options into the future! Win-win....

Would be huge if Samsung -BlackBerry PKB deal announced in the future!! ... and / or with Indian & Chinese phone manufacturers...

Monetize IP and as I said months ago... Focus exclusively on Software as the New BlackBerry! $$$$$$

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 09-28-16 at 11:12 AM.
    sidhuk, morganplus8, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    09-28-16 10:45 AM
    BlackBerry plan to outsource hardware development will lead to 'limited' layoffs, CEO says - Article - BNN

They have changed video. Appears with Amber now.
    Last edited by Corbu; 09-28-16 at 10:59 AM.
    09-28-16 10:46 AM
    09-28-16 10:51 AM
    09-28-16 10:58 AM
    Unless I am mistaken, possible answer to that "data center sale" from JC, in that interview with Amber (around minute 6).
    Greened, masterful, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    09-28-16 11:11 AM
    OT: Yahoo and "security"
    Cyber security took a back seat at Yahoo: NYT

Cyber security took a back seat at Yahoo: NYT / 22 Mins Ago
    Yahoo failed to make defending against hackers a priority in the leadup to the massive hack the internet company announced last week, reports The New York Times.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/29/te...king.html?_r=0
    Defending Against Hackers Took a Back Seat at Yahoo, Insiders Say
    09-28-16 11:13 AM
    Chen is say no to asset sales because he doesn't need to sell them. He can try to monetize by licensing. But if someone does want them bad enough, I'm sure Chen will sell for the right price. Pulling a TH and putting the company for sale drove it's value down significantly, as would putting hardware on the market at this time, IMO.

I see Samsung as a great suitor for Blackberry and I can see a BO offer sometime in 2017 or even sooner (before the stock gets legs). $20 offer from Samsung...would that do it? But probably not until the turnaround is sealed and running....June 2017.

Now I would love to see Google license the keyboard and build a PKB nexus, or Samsung. Someone big with marketing clout.
    alludba and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-28-16 11:22 AM
    https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/art...=yhoo.headline
    Plotting BlackBerry's Possible Futures
    09-28-16 11:26 AM
113,250 ... 39883989399039913992 ...