View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    07-31-16 02:34 PM
    I'm still trying to figure out how John Chen intends on selling this new phone. It's obvious he heard feedback from potential enterprise customers that they wanted cheaper secure phones. Ok, but will they actually buy this phone or will they give Mr. Chen another excuse why they can't buy a BB phone? Chen has created a cheap cookie cutter Android phone with BB security software being the main selling point. Who's gonna buy it? Seems like normal consumers are concerned about security, but not enough to change from Apple. So it will be a success or failure with the business community. Is Chen gonna sell this phone door to door or what? LOL Advertising hasn't worked. Whats his game plan? I own stock and want this phone to do well, but I'm confused with the plan. Anyone have an opinion on this?
    Just think 'Curve', should help !

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    masterful likes this.
    07-31-16 03:22 PM
    IoT:
    At Black Hat, the ?Internet of Things? Gets Put Through Its Paces - WSJ

Conference in Las Vegas to explore the security vulnerabilities in internet-connected devices

When computer hackers and security pros gather for twin conferences in Las Vegas this week, the focus will be on risks related to the growing assortment of connected thermostats, smartwatches, cars and other devices that the tech industry calls the “internet of things.”

The side-by-side conferences, known as Black Hat and Defcon, offer both a snapshot of the current state of computer security and an early peek at tomorrow’s cybersecurity problems.

Among the biggest looming problems are security vulnerabilities in internet-connected devices. Conference organizers say they received 50 proposals for talks related to hacking the internet of things, an unusually large number. Jeff Moss, the man who founded both Black Hat and Defcon, said 13 were accepted.

It isn’t unusual for hackers to set sights on new products. When Black Hat began, in 1997, Microsoft Corp.’s Windows operating system was hackers’ target. A decade later, a hacker named Charlie Miller showed attendees how to break into Apple Inc.’s iPhone.

Last year, Mr. Miller and Chris Valasek stole the show at Black Hat by showing how to seize control of a Jeep Cherokee via the internet. The two were soon snatched up by Uber Technologies Inc. to work as security engineers at the company’s Advanced Technology Center, but they’ll be back this year to update their exploits.

One change: Several of last year’s hacks, such as disabling the brakes, only worked when the car was moving slower than 5 miles an hour. This time, Messrs. Miller and Valasek will try to control a car’s brakes and steering at faster speeds, according to a person familiar with the matter.

In other presentations, researchers will explain how a computer worm could spread through a network of smart lightbulbs, how to hack medical systems, and how a new kind of ATM skimming device could steal tens of thousands of dollars in just minutes.

Some of those attacks are still theoretical. But security problems in the internet of things are starting to create real problems. In June, researchers at Sucuri Inc., a security software vendor, uncovered a network of illegally hacked home-security video recorders that were being used to launch online attacks, known as distributed denial of service attacks.

The attacks are continuing because most victims don’t even realize they’ve been hacked, said Daniel Cid, Sucuri’s founder and chief technology officer. Even if they could be contacted, “owners don’t know how to update their cameras,” he said.

Hackers are attracted by the size of the market. Research firm International Data Corp. expects sales of these internet-connected devices, currently pegged at $812 billion a year, to reach $1.46 trillion by 2020.

Most of the hacking in Las Vegas will be done by humans, but some will be the work of artificially intelligent computers. The Pentagon’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is sponsoring a three-hour all-machine hacking tournament that will pit artificially intelligent systems built by academics, startups and defense contractor Raytheon Co. against one another in a hacking free-for-all. The hacking programs will be on a bug-hunting mission to find a way to hack into computer systems, while simultaneously fending off attacks.

The winning team pockets a $2 million prize, and the U.S. government hopes to walk away with some new insights into how autonomous systems might be used for cyberdefense.
    rarsen likes this.
    07-31-16 05:20 PM
    07-31-16 08:02 PM
    08-01-16 09:08 AM
    Incredible! Then BlackBerry radar tracking is at what value?

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    CDM76 likes this.
    08-01-16 09:31 AM
    We all knew it since a long time now, but papers and analysts seemed deaf to our shouts...

In french, sorry.

https://www.lesaffaires.com/blogues/...ckberry/588909

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 10:15 AM
    Superfly_FR and rarsen like this.
    08-01-16 10:44 AM
    More on the Fleetmatics deal:
    Verizon to Buy Fleetmatics for $2.4 Billion - WSJ

Verizon Communications Inc. said Monday that it agreed to acquire mobile workforce-solutions company Fleetmatics Group PLC for $2.4 billion, widening Verizon’s fleet operations as it looks to diversify.

The deal, at $60 a share in cash, represents a nearly 40% premium to Fleetmatics closing price Friday of $42.96.

Shares of Fleetmatics rose 39% to $59.66 in morning trading in New York and are up 65% in the past three months. Verizon stock, up 20% this year, edged down 0.1% to $55.35.

Fleetmatics’ web-based GPS tracking systems allow fleet operators to monitor vehicle location, fuel usage, speed and mileage, and other insights into their mobile workforce.

Fleetmatics opened on the New York Stock Exchange in 2012 at $22.95, up from its $17 offer price. Investors were attracted to the company because its cloud-computing model made adoption easy for small-to midsize business without other infrastructure or sophisticated users.

The Dublin-based company has roughly 737,000 subscribers and 1,200 employees. Its North American headquarters are in Waltham, Mass.

Last week, Verizon closed its acquisition of mobile enterprise management software company Telogis Inc.

That transaction, as well as the Fleetmatics deal, came amid Verizon’s bidding for Yahoo Inc., which it last week agreed to buy for $4.8 billion.

For New York-based Verizon, the Yahoo deal represents a bet that the troubled web company will give it a leg up as it tries to build a digital media and advertising empire. Meanwhile, the Fleetmatics deal reflects its strategy of connecting objects to the internet wirelessly. Both come as Verizon, the nation’s largest U.S. wireless carrier, is diversifying away from being a telephone and internet provider.
    Mr BBRY, La Emperor and rarsen like this.
    08-01-16 10:56 AM
    Hi Corbu. Can you type out the tweet please? Thanks.

Sent from my awesome Z30
    08-01-16 12:06 PM
    Hi Corbu. Can you type out the tweet please? Thanks.

John Chen @JohnChen
    Fans: this month use Twitter to send me pics or Instagrams of yourself in fun locations with your #BlackBerry to win #BBFOTM

I'm no Corbu but I workout every single day to reach his level
    fanBBRY, masterful, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    08-01-16 12:26 PM
    Superfly_FR and masterful like this.
    08-01-16 12:37 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-3m-chart-8.1.16.png

RSI = 77... what RSI?

What a nice looking run for BBRY. Do we think it can keep climbing or should we expect to peak and build a base for a while? Volume looks strong in recent trading sessions and short interest is the lowest we've seen in years, so it seems as though this rally could have legs. The only near term driver I see is the new handset, which I applaud Chen for. What else will it take to keep the momentum going?
    08-01-16 03:43 PM
    Thanks Superfly!

Sent from my awesome Z30
    08-01-16 05:02 PM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Incredible! Then BlackBerry radar tracking is at what value?

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    Wow, indeed!!

It would be a real bonus if BlackBerry could make this (BlackBerry Radar) a profitable Line of business adding to both revenues and profitability.... very interested to see them succeed here. Any word on when this is going live?

Posted via CB10
    CDM76, fanBBRY, La Emperor and 3 others like this.
    08-01-16 07:04 PM
    Wow, indeed!!

It would be a real bonus if BlackBerry could make this (BlackBerry Radar) a profitable Line of business adding to both revenues and profitability.... very interested to see them succeed here. Any word on when this is going live?

Posted via CB10
    I was under the impression Chen mentioned that it will be available after mid july. But no big announcements yet, strange!!
    08-01-16 10:16 PM
    https://twitter.com/johnchen/status/748496246352936961

@BlackBerry Radar will be commercially available mid-July - @johnchen
    08-02-16 07:37 AM
    08-02-16 09:27 AM
    08-02-16 04:52 PM
    08-02-16 05:10 PM
    Comparison against the Leap makes me a little timid. Comparison against the Z30 would probably get more ppl interested. The Z30 is loved by many who have it, the Leap not so much.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-16 07:29 PM
    Comparison against the Leap makes me a little timid. Comparison against the Z30 would probably get more ppl interested. The Z30 is loved by many who have it, the Leap not so much.

Posted via CB10
    I think the Leap did rather well as an enterprise device. I see a lot of work issued Leaps, including at my company. BlackBerry seems to be pushing the affordable angle now

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-02-16 08:23 PM
    OT: But not really...
    Samsung Launches Galaxy Note 7 With Emphasis on Software, Services - CIO Journal. - WSJ

NEW YORK–Samsung Electronics Co. unveiled its new smartphone, the 5.7-inch Galaxy Note 7, notable for new features such as an iris-scanner that identifies users based on their eye patterns, a secret folder that keeps owner data hidden from people who might casually use the device, and a stylus with a finer point that more closely resembles the feel of a pen on paper.

Yet for all of the focus on the hardware and its updated and refined curving screen, the smartphone is just as much about software and services, as Knox, Samsung’s mobile security platform, and the double-secret user folder show. That was one of the rationales behind putting D.J. Koh in charge of the Samsung mobile business, as the WSJ noted in 2015. Mr. Koh, who previously ran mobile R&D, was deeply involved in bringing Samsung Pay and Knox to market, as the WSJ said at the time of his promotion.

The focus on software and services is particularly important in the enterprise market, where Samsung is deploying a new strategy in an effort to grow.

“Part of our strategy is about selling business solutions and outcomes. The devices get dragged along by the solutions. That is the fundamental shift,” said Kevin Gilroy, executive vice president and enterprise chief of Samsung Electronics America. Mr. Gilroy, who spoke to CIO Journal at the launch event for the Galaxy Note 7, is a veteran of H-P and SAP SE who was hired last year to reorient Samsung enterprise efforts in the U.S.

Rival Apple Inc. has invested more in developing enterprise software, too.

Mr. Gilroy leads a group of more than 400 people, including a largely new leadership team.

“A lot of our sales team was like I have got better pixels, I have got a better camera,“ he said. “Now we go into a trader’s office and we can say we know the trader of the future. And we are trained on millennials, and we know what their needs are.”

Samsung’s enterprise strategy has been reformulated along particular industries, or so-called vertical markets such as finance and health care. The plan is to focus on 19 verticals, six or seven of which have been rolled out so far, according to Mr. Gilroy. In health care, for example, Samsung employs a medical doctor for guidance. The strategy makes use of developers at Samsung groups in Japan and California, as well as a group of enterprise developers who create “bridge” applications. Partnerships are key to the development of offerings within the verticals.

As phones become larger and more functional, they are taking some demand for tablets, but Mr. Gilroy says he sees a market for both devices. “Smartphones have been great for us. We see tablets flattening in some markets, but in other areas, like health care, we see growth. We need to understand the uses for tablets. We think there is latent demand, and we plan to uncover it,” he said.
    Sounds familiar?
    masterful, Mr BBRY and rarsen like this.
    08-02-16 09:42 PM
    08-02-16 09:45 PM
    I've pretty sure that page has been there for a while now. It's just very general information and really just a placeholder of a page.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-16 10:39 PM
113,256 ... 39583959396039613962 ...