View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    How you schedule processes, how you think about memory and process model, how you architect the stack, the design of APIs, etc.

Everything I've seen from BB since he got there (and QNX before) seems really well suited to this autonomous driving use case.
    The Neutrino kernel had not changed for BB10. The Blackberry Platform Services was ported by BlackBerry for tablet and smartphone-specific features. For example: keyboard, orientation, gestures, networking phone calls, etc.. I don't think these changes were more suited for automotive.

Please elaborate how process scheduling and memory management of BB10 would have been better used in automobiles rather than smartphones?

Posted via CB10
    masterful likes this.
    07-29-16 07:17 PM
    The Neutrino kernel had not changed for BB10. The Blackberry Platform Services was ported by BlackBerry for tablet and smartphone-specific features. For example: keyboard, orientation, gestures, networking phone calls, etc.. I don't think these changes were more suited for automotive.

Please elaborate how process scheduling and memory management of BB10 would have been better used in automobiles rather than smartphones?
    Autonomous driving control units have a fixed (at least roughly) number of processes. They have ready access to huge amounts of energy. They require strong timing guarantees relative to phones in the interest of managing risk. A user will not run 3rd party apps on such a control unit, just as you wouldn't run 3rd party apps on a router or on the arm of the space shuttle.

Phones require much weaker timing compare to cars, and they have very limited access to power and therefore need to coalesce work for conservation. Conservation is a more important goal than timing commitments. Also phones run an arbitrary number of apps (many 3rd party) on a device which can't swap out dirty pages. So a good way to handle this issue is what Palm and Google did, which is abstract the lifecycle of apps away from the lifecycle of the underlying processes. That process model is different from the 1:1 app to process in BB10. The model of activities and services in Android means the OS is free to start and stop underlying processes as needed without the user even noticing any of this, and apps that are in the background can use much less RAM without having to stop all together. The user is abstracted from all of this, giving the OS freedom to coalesce work, manage RAM without killing apps, etc.

I realize this is the BBRY thread, and this is clearly OT, so I'm happy to discuss this on another thread.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 07-29-16 at 08:37 PM.
    awindsr likes this.
    07-29-16 07:36 PM
    Not sure our great Corbu had this before, but some estimations over QNX sales won't hurt, aren't they ?
    .. interesting, isn't it ?
    sources :
    - BlackBerry: Signs Of Promise From Apple And Android - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha
    - ? Global QNX automotive infotainment OS sales 2011-2020 | Projection (membership required)

Attachment 405108
    "exceed 25,000 units by 2015". Well, except the chart is in 1000's of units. So that is 25,000,000 aka 25 million units by 2015, from 12.7M units in 2011, and will double again by 2021. Not bad at all. Long term hold
    So, basically, pretty much doubling up in 5 years (and that's just for infotainment alone) .
    07-29-16 07:41 PM
    I realize this is the cheerleader thread, and this is clearly OT, so I'm happy to discuss this on another thread.
    With all due respect: uncalled for. And inaccurate.
    07-29-16 08:29 PM
    With all due respect: uncalled for. And inaccurate.
    Agreed. I apologize; and I've edited the post.
    07-29-16 08:37 PM
    Agreed. I apologize; and I've edited the post.
    Appreciated. Thank you.
    07-29-16 08:40 PM
    Autonomous driving control units have a fixed (at least roughly) number of processes. They have ready access to huge amounts of energy. They require strong timing guarantees relative to phones in the interest of managing risk. A user will not run 3rd party apps on such a control unit, just as you wouldn't run 3rd party apps on a router or on the arm of the space shuttle.

Phones require much weaker timing compare to cars, and they have very limited access to power and therefore need to coalesce work for conservation. Conservation is a more important goal than timing commitments. Also phones run an arbitrary number of apps (many 3rd party) on a device which can't swap out dirty pages. So a good way to handle this issue is what Palm and Google did, which is abstract the lifecycle of apps away from the lifecycle of the underlying processes. That process model is different from the 1:1 app to process in BB10. The model of activities and services in Android means the OS is free to start and stop underlying processes as needed without the user even noticing any of this, and apps that are in the background can use much less RAM without having to stop all together. The user is abstracted from all of this, giving the OS freedom to coalesce work, manage RAM without killing apps, etc.
    I don't get your point. You seem to be implying that Palm and Android handle processes better than BB10.
    And yet, wasn't Android renowned for bad battery life and bad multitasking?

My Z30, which came out in November 2013 is able to stream video to a TV wirelessly via Miracast, stream radio via the Nobex app and play sound from my phone's speakers, play Galaxy on Fire 2, a real time, graphics intensive game, and allow me to receive and respond to emails/bbm via the quick toast notifications or jumping into and out of the hub, all at the same time. There were no hiccups or delays in the audio or video on the TV or audio playing from the phone's speakers. I don't recall if I was playing with sound fx and music inside GoF2. GoF2 would pause when I responded to BBM/email, but that was a good thing since it was a real time game.

Is this bad? Are you saying an Android phone could do all that at the same time on a 2013 era phone? Or are you saying a phone shouldn't be able to do that because it needs to conserve power?

I realize this is the BBRY thread, and this is clearly OT, so I'm happy to discuss this on another thread.
    Like others have said, unwarranted.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-16 09:18 PM
    Are they planning to move it to android?

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    They said nothing about android other than if you want android phones (Priv, DTEK50), call us.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-16 09:19 PM
    They said nothing about android other than if you want android phones (Priv, DTEK50), call us.

Posted via CB10
    Thinking to grab the DTEK50 for a birthday gift.

fanBBRY and Superfly_FR like this.
    07-29-16 09:56 PM
    I don't get your point. You seem to be implying that Palm and Android handle processes better than BB10.
    And yet, wasn't Android renowned for bad battery life and bad multitasking?

My Z30, which came out in November 2013 is able to stream video to a TV wirelessly via Miracast, stream radio via the Nobex app and play sound from my phone's speakers, play Galaxy on Fire 2, a real time, graphics intensive game, and allow me to receive and respond to emails/bbm via the quick toast notifications or jumping into and out of the hub, all at the same time. There were no hiccups or delays in the audio or video on the TV or audio playing from the phone's speakers. I don't recall if I was playing with sound fx and music inside GoF2. GoF2 would pause when I responded to BBM/email, but that was a good thing since it was a real time game.

Is this bad? Are you saying an Android phone could do all that at the same time on a 2013 era phone? Or are you saying a phone shouldn't be able to do that because it needs to conserve power?

Like others have said, unwarranted.

Posted via CB10
    The only place where Android is 'known' to have bad battery life and multitasking is CB. I recently got an Android phone, and I am enjoying great battery life. And BB10's multitasking is extremely taxing on the system, and lessens convenience, because the Active Frames would crash with too many, which is a much lower number than in Android or iOS. By closing the windows, you'll have to restart the entire app, wasting more battery and memory than if you were to continue from where you were.

Sorry if it that was OT, and I'm not usually that negative, but I don't really like to see people putting down a decent OS.
    07-29-16 10:45 PM

I agree with you about QNX being a good fit for autonomous automobiles. The lowest possible latency is mandatory in such a system due to the large number of sensors, critical data and processes. A software failure or even a small delay can send the passengers off a cliff.

However, I disagree with you about QNX being somehow unfit for a modern smartphone OS(ie you disagreeing with Dodge's ideas). You explained very well how Palm, Android handle app processes. BBOS(BB5,6,7) handled processes this way too. This was not a feature. That is the solution to limited hardware or bloated and slow running software. At that time there was no choice. By BlackBerry choosing QNX to run BB10 apps smoothly and reliably in real-time unrestricted while "out-conserving" the competition by 200+% shows you how great QNX really is as a smartphone kernel.

Latency is important in gaming, in taking photos, in messaging, in watching movies, in VOIP calling etc.. To me, an RTOS is still the best bet for smartphones, videogame systems, robotics, web servers, etc.. I hope we see more of it.
    07-29-16 11:01 PM
    Annnnd...
    We are back on topic, are we ?
    Cheers and have a great weekend guys !

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-30-16 at 05:48 AM.
    07-30-16 02:18 AM
    Sorry if it that was OT, and I'm not usually that negative, but I don't really like to see people putting down a decent OS.
    Given the constant and universal thrashing that BB10 has received since introduction, I hope you see the irony and hypocrisy of your comment.

And you haven't addressed whether a 2013/2014 Android phone had the battery life or could multitask like a 2013 BB10 phone. I know a 2016 Android can.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-16 09:25 AM
    Given the constant and universal thrashing that BB10 has received since introduction, I hope you see the irony and hypocrisy of your comment.

And you haven't addressed whether a 2013/2014 Android phone had the battery life or could multitask like a 2013 BB10 phone. I know a 2016 Android can.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for saying this for me, I got to stay out of the argument just when I couldn't stand it any more!
    sidhuk, masterful, CDM76 and 5 others like this.
    07-30-16 09:55 AM
    OK, I've been using my Z10 since 2013 and I'm seriously looking at buying the DTEK50.

Is there a promo code floating around for the pre-order? PM me if you have a valid one.

BB10 4 ME
    alludba and fanBBRY like this.
    07-30-16 10:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    App_developer, I have to say thank you for bring up this topic on the thread.

It seems to be true what other people said...that on a relative basis BB10 has had a worse go regarding thrashing than Android...but I don't think that is the point.

This is one of the main threads I check out in this forum...and you provided something relatively new to the discussion....how can that be a bad thing?

Personally, I have learnt something new so I thank you once again.
    Last edited by he_x3; 07-30-16 at 11:48 AM.
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-30-16 10:51 AM
    App_developer, I have to say thank you for bring up this topic on the thread.

It seems to be true what other people said...that on a relative basis BB10 has had a worse go regarding thrashing than Android...but I don't think that is the point.

This is one of the main threads I check out in this forum...and you provided something relatively new to the discussion....how can that be a bad thing?

Personally, I have learnt something new so I thank you once again.
    I believe you got the user's mixed up (Quoted something from another user and prasied someone else). I get like that, when I have one too many. LOL
    masterful and theRock1975 like this.
    07-30-16 01:26 PM
    Hello, BBRY ?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    fanBBRY likes this.
    07-30-16 06:34 PM
    07-30-16 08:27 PM
    I'm still trying to figure out how John Chen intends on selling this new phone. It's obvious he heard feedback from potential enterprise customers that they wanted cheaper secure phones. Ok, but will they actually buy this phone or will they give Mr. Chen another excuse why they can't buy a BB phone? Chen has created a cheap cookie cutter Android phone with BB security software being the main selling point. Who's gonna buy it? Seems like normal consumers are concerned about security, but not enough to change from Apple. So it will be a success or failure with the business community. Is Chen gonna sell this phone door to door or what? LOL Advertising hasn't worked. Whats his game plan? I own stock and want this phone to do well, but I'm confused with the plan. Anyone have an opinion on this?
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-31-16 08:25 AM
    OT: is there a dislikes or mute button anywhere on this application?

sidhuk and gvs1341 like this.
    07-31-16 09:24 AM
    They can sell their phones with their Enterprise Mobility Management software.
    I'm still trying to figure out how John Chen intends on selling this new phone. It's obvious he heard feedback from potential enterprise customers that they wanted cheaper secure phones. Ok, but will they actually buy this phone or will they give Mr. Chen another excuse why they can't buy a BB phone? Chen has created a cheap cookie cutter Android phone with BB security software being the main selling point. Who's gonna buy it? Seems like normal consumers are concerned about security, but not enough to change from Apple. So it will be a success or failure with the business community. Is Chen gonna sell this phone door to door or what? LOL Advertising hasn't worked. Whats his game plan? I own stock and want this phone to do well, but I'm confused with the plan. Anyone have an opinion on this?
    07-31-16 09:55 AM
    Don't understand why BB10, as a RTOS, does not take good pictures.
    Latency is important in gaming, in taking photos, in messaging, in watching movies, in VOIP calling etc.. To me, an RTOS is still the best bet for smartphones, videogame systems, robotics, web servers, etc.. I hope we see more of it.
    07-31-16 10:01 AM
    I'm still trying to figure out how John Chen intends on selling this new phone.
    I'm still trying to figure out why people don't use the 'Armchair CEO' thread.

Armchair CEO - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    07-31-16 11:02 AM
    Advertising ? When ? Where ? Pretty sure that is a 4 letter word in BlackBerry HQ.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-16 12:15 PM
113,250 ... 39573958395939603961 ...