View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I just have a bad feeling this phone will tank like the Priv. It's a cookie cutter phone with BB security. Whats the draw for consumer or enterprise? You can buy a good Moto G phone for 150 dollars. Enterprise moving to Apple. Security phone doesn't seem to sell these days
    There's something that isn't in Chen's equation
    Only a cherry on the cake, not the target. But surprise can happen, especially for those who read about the next OS, N based and security re-enforced, closer or equivalent to BB10. That should happen pretty soon and some may consider it worth the small extra cost (100$ - 50$ external charger = $50) and - moreover - the joy to sport a curve-like device again.

P.S: I'll be at BlackBerry French headquarters in 2 1/2 hours to see, discuss (an maybe even test for a while) the DTEK 50. So if you have questions, let me "do the Corbu" for you and place yours below !
    07-28-16 02:31 AM
    Not the SF Indicator! LMAO!
    For once seems it triggered some additional gains !
    07-28-16 02:46 AM
    I just have a bad feeling this phone will tank like the Priv. It's a cookie cutter phone with BB security. Whats the draw for consumer or enterprise? You can buy a good Moto G phone for 150 dollars. Enterprise moving to Apple. Security phone doesn't seem to sell these days
    On the contrary, I have a great feeling about the upcoming DTEK50 and an even better one for the pkb device coming next. The DTEK50 will showcase to the masses their business-oriented take on hardware and Android OS. More so than privacy and security, I think the business feel of the BlackBerry/Android hardware and OS will appeal to users.

The PRIV was too different and expensive to ever draw big numbers. Which may not have been too bad in retrospect, since it allowed the OS to mature from the release version. But these new BlackBerry/Android devices will continue to be some of the only smartphones *with apps* that finally feel like they were made for adults. It's a sophisticated OS and elegant handset in a pile of otherwise cartoonish goofy crap. I can't see how grown men can use an iphone, it's like a technodelic Disney playscreen. Fluorescent flat icons, rose gold finishes and hippy tie dye backgrounds (not to say that some women wouldn't prefer more subtle phones as well). While not all manufacturers are as gaudy, most devices still make you feel like a child or at least treat you like one ("airplane mode", right?).

One aspect of the hardware I'm especially excited for more exposure is the incredible gesture kb. I'm a late 20-something Canadian using technology my whole life, and I absolutely can't stand using touch-only devices. I know I'm not the only one.. Using the PRIV kb since its release last year, I now see why people love the Passport - it truly is a revolutionary innovation. As a trackpad it's such a pleasure to use and has so much possibility (maybe using it as a pointer in the browser some day). Swiping on the keyboard to scroll, or move the cursor in text fields, or highlight and copy/cut/paste with cmd+c/x/v is a dream. Also the homescreen shortcuts on the PRIV are even better than BBOS homescreen shortcuts which I loved from the 9900 (and something severely limited in BB10's offering). If the pkb phone is fleet priced many more people will use it. Some might even take a second look at the PRIV after using the pkb, if they want a bigger screen.

I'm loving the strategy of becoming purely a design house. In this day hardware manufacturing is so unnecessary and inefficient at small scales. Other manufacturers literally produce better phones for cheaper prices. The elegant hardware designs, business-oriented OS tweaks and trackpad/pkb are enough of a feature to differentiate among the sea of commoditized electronics. Only the Note series can compare, but they're all gigantic and have a cumbersome pen to use instead.

I hope they take their time to add even more functionality to the pkb for the candybar form factor. Like an option to have the pkb swiping in trackpad mode by default rather than text prediction mode (double tap to get to the latter instead of the other way around). They can't afford to release a half baked product/app like previous management did repeatedly. Thanks to JC they have time and money to do it. At this point they're so bottom of the barrel in public perception that they can't really go any lower. Hardware is on the brink of extinction. Clearly JC thinks it can survive and not just as a licensed patents (as do I and many others in this thread).

Soon people will have access to every must-have app on the planet combined with all of the outstanding features I've mentioned above that have always been a part of BlackBerry. Call me a dreamer, a fanatic, a fool or whatever, but I have some hope in RIM/BlackBerry.
    07-28-16 03:33 AM
    MOBL reporting results today?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    07-28-16 06:01 AM
    Wtf is wrong with every writer?
    500k sold last quarter compared to Apple sold 44M ... that's an itard person who wrote that!
    It's like hey I sold more apples than you but wait you sell blackberries so what am I saying?

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    Journalists just have no clue what they are writting about sometimes. More likely the boss said "go write a story about that new BlackBerry " and the journalist begrudgingly lowered their head, said a few choice words and started Googling.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 06:06 AM
    MOBL reporting results today?
    They are indeed.

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., July 15, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- MobileIron (NASDAQ:MOBL), the stand-alone EMM leader, announced today that it will release its second quarter fiscal year 2016 earnings on Thursday, July 28, 2016.

MobileIron will host a conference call and live webcast at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time (4:30 p.m. EDT) to discuss the company's financial results and business highlights. Interested parties may access the call by dialing 1-855-327-6837 in the U.S. or 1-631-891-4304 from international locations. The live webcast will be available on the MobileIron Investor Relations website at MobileIron, Inc. - Investor Relations. A replay will be available through the same link.
    07-28-16 07:15 AM
    Any news on the IOT radar announcement? I thought that is scheduled for in july.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 07:50 AM
    Since I didn't want to push us OT, please visit the thread next door for my first impressions regarding DTEK50.
    (yes, I do have one, right now, in hands )
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...hands-1081055/
    07-28-16 08:30 AM
    I see Tesla just dropped Mobileye as their software provider. It would be nice if QNX picked Tesla up

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 09:32 AM
    I see Tesla just dropped Mobileye as their software provider. It would be nice if QNX picked Tesla up

Posted via CB10
    Please share link if you have. Thanks

07-28-16 09:33 AM
    Please share link if you have. Thanks
    Mobileye Ends Partnership With Tesla - WSJ

http://electrek.co/2016/07/27/tesla-...omous-driving/
    masterful, rarsen, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    07-28-16 09:46 AM
    Best personal assistant ever! Thanks Corbu

dusdal, rarsen, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    07-28-16 09:48 AM
    Netsuite is being acquired by Oracle for 9.3 billion. Their revenue coming from software is comparable to BlackBerry's magnitude (when you add SAF) but their margins seem much thinner.

http://investors.netsuite.com/invest...s/default.aspx

What do you guys think? Any other criteria where BlackBerry comes out better or worse? I like to compare 'us' to other tech companies sometimes to see what our potential is.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, La Emperor, ZayDub and 4 others like this.
    07-28-16 10:25 AM
    Backgrounder on Netsuite:
    Oracle to Buy Cloud-Software Provider NetSuite for $9.3 Billion - WSJ

Larry Ellison is largest holder of NetSuite, which is led by an ex-Oracle executive

Oracle Corp. agreed to buy NetSuite Inc. for $9.3 billion, bolstering the software maker’s cloud-computing offerings as it races to catch up to rivals.

Oracle said is paying $109 in cash, a 19% premium to NetSuite’s closing price Wednesday of $91.57. The deal is expected to close in 2016, subject to regulatory and shareholder approval.

The deal, among the largest in Oracle’s history, reunites Chairman Larry Ellison with Zach Nelson, NetSuite’s chief executive, who ran Oracle’s marketing operations in the 1990s. Mr. Ellison is NetSuite’s largest investor; entities owned by Mr. Ellison and his family held nearly 40% of NetSuite’s shares, according to NetSuite’s annual proxy statement filed in April. Much of his net worth is also tied up in Oracle, which he co-founded in 1977.

Mr. Ellison’s position on both sides of a deal between two publicly traded companies raises questions about potential conflicts of interest. While Oracle declined to address the matter, it said in its press release the deal will only close if a majority of NetSuite shares not owned by Mr. Ellison and his family approve the deal.

The Ellison family’s stake in NetSuite means chances for a rival bidder to emerge are “slim to none,” said Stifel Nicolaus Co. analyst Brad Reback. Given the multiple Oracle offered—about nine times the next 12 months’ projected revenue—shareholders may be hard-pressed to demand a better deal, he said.

The acquisition had been rumored for weeks, pushing NetSuite’s shares up from $72.19 just a month ago. The deal represents a premium, though it is still below NetSuite’s closing price of $115.57 in February 2014.

In morning trading, NetSuite rose 18% to $108.17, while Oracle shares was up less than a percent to $41.04.

Both companies provide business applications called enterprise-resource planning software. NetSuite, though, is among the leaders in providing those offerings to customers via subscription-based, on-demand computing.

Oracle said it plans to invest heavily in both products, and that the deal would immediately add to its earnings, on an adjusted basis. In a statement provided to The Wall Street Journal, Chief Executive Mark Hurd said Oracle would “accelerate the pace of innovation” and “expand the global reach” of NetSuite.

Oracle declined to say whether the deal would lead to any executive changes or layoffs. NetSuite didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

While the companies offer some overlapping products, NetSuite has made inroads with smaller corporate customers, where Oracle hasn’t been as strong, Mr. Reback said. NetSuite, whose international sales are modest, will benefit from Oracle’s global sales operation, he said.

While Oracle has improved its homegrown cloud products, it is battling companies such as Salesforce.com Inc. and Workday Inc., which deliver software and storage solely on the web. Oracle also is fighting to keep pace with giants including Microsoft Corp. and Amazon.com Inc., which have built large businesses running customers’ computing operations in the cloud.

Separately, NetSuite also reported its quarterly results. Revenue in the second quarter rose 30% to $230.8 million, but its loss widened to $37.7 million from $32.3 million in the year-ago period. Excluding certain costs, such as expenses related to stock-based compensation, NetSuite’s earnings rose to $6.6 million, or 8 cents a share, from $1.7 million, or 2 cents a share.

Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were expecting earnings of 3 cents a share on revenue of $231 million.

Oracle is an aggressive acquirer. spending more than $1 billion in recent months to buy Opower Inc., which makes cloud software for the utility industry, and Textura Corp., which provides similar services for construction businesses.

The largest recent multibillion deal was Oracle’s $5.3 billion purchase in 2014 of Micros Systems Inc., which sells internet-connected cash registers.

Oracle’s other big acquisitions include its acrimonious hostile takeover of PeopleSoft Inc. for $10.3 billion in 2004, another hostile purchase of BEA Systems Inc. for $8.5 billion in 2008, and its 2009 deal to buy Sun Microsystems Inc. for $7.4 billion.
    sidhuk, rarsen, La Emperor and 3 others like this.
    07-28-16 10:40 AM
    Apple Hires BlackBerry Talent With Car Project Turning to Self-Driving Software - Bloomberg

Dan Dodge, former CEO, founder of QNX, joined Apple this year
    Bob Mansfield took over cars initiative with emphasis on tech

Apple Inc. has hired the former head of BlackBerry Ltd.’s automotive software division as new leadership at the iPhone-maker’s car team places increased emphasis on developing self-driving technology, according to people familiar with the project.

Dan Dodge, the founder and former chief executive officer of QNX, the operating system developer that BlackBerry acquired in 2010, joined Apple earlier this year, the people said. He is part of a team headed by Bob Mansfield, who, since taking over leadership of the cars initiative -- dubbed Project Titan -- has heralded a shift in strategy, according to a person familiar with the plan.

The initiative is now prioritizing the development of an autonomous driving system, though it’s not abandoning efforts to design its own vehicle. That leaves options open should the company eventually decide to partner with or acquire an established car maker, rather than build a car itself. An Apple spokesman declined to comment.

Apple has hundreds of engineers working on car design and has been targeting a release as soon as 2020. That goal has been affected by multiple departures, technical delays and confusion regarding the direction of the project, according to people with knowledge of the efforts.

Tapering demand for the iPhone, which accounts for more than half of Apple’s sales, has emphasized the importance of new sources of revenue. Research and development spending jumped by more than a quarter to $2.6 billion in the three months through June compared with a year earlier.

“The products that are in R&D, there is quite a bit of investment in there for products and services that are not currently shipping or derivations of what is currently shipping,” Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook said in a conference call to discuss earnings Tuesday. “There’s a lot of stuff that we’re doing beyond the current products.”

Direct Report

Mansfield answers directly to Cook, unlike his predecessor Steve Zadesky, who reported to hardware chief Dan Riccio, who in turn reported to Cook. Mansfield’s division comprises three pillars led by Apple veterans: a software team under John Wright; a sensors group headed by Benjamin Lyon; and a unit of hardware engineers led by D.J. Novotney.

Dodge, who is part of Wright’s group, co-founded QNX in 1980 as a student at the University of Waterloo in Canada. The company was sold to Harman International Industries Inc. in 2004 and subsequently acquired by BlackBerry in 2010. QNX developed BlackBerry’s latest proprietary mobile operating system, which it still uses in some of its smartphones. It also makes the entertainment, navigation and connected-device system used by Volkswagen AG, Daimler AG, Ford Motor Co. and others. Dodge left QNX in December, according to his LinkedIn profile.

Canada Facility

Apple is opening a research and development center near QNX’s headquarters in the Ottawa suburb of Kanata, the Ottawa Citizen reported earlier this year. Just as Apple opened an office in Boston to tap the area’s wealth of speech recognition experts, the Kanata office could give it better access to the town’s pool of automotive software talent.

As it forges ahead with a dual track that could still result in building its own car, Apple has continued to raid auto companies for engineers with expertise in designing vehicle manufacturing systems, and has hired two Ford engineers in the past year with experience building aluminum-bodied vehicles.

Todd Gray came to Apple in May from Ford, where he built the systems used to manufacture the aluminum body of the F-150 truck. He joined fellow Ford alumna Aindrea Campbell, who was a manager in the body construction engineering team and previously headed a group which researched lightweight materials used in vehicles including the F-150. She joined Apple in September.
    07-28-16 01:28 PM
    https://bb.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-...--IoT_20160774
    Senior Sales Manager, IoT

SUMMARY
    Working as part of a growing global team, you will be responsible for developing, managing and leveraging relationships directly (at a senior level) with customers & Distributors to launch the asset tracking solution into your region ensuring its success. We are looking for a results driven individual with strong solutions sales & business development experience who is truly passionate about technology. As the potential for the asset tracking solution stretches far beyond a single industry, this role really does offer plenty of opportunity for growth and development. This is truly a case of results being able to deliver development opportunities for the right individual.
    Last edited by Corbu; 07-28-16 at 01:45 PM.
    07-28-16 01:32 PM
    Tesla plans to bring that work in house. So maybe someone might be thinking what if Tesla picked QNX up?

I doubt Tesla will outsource that work again. They are gearing up for their coming battle with Apple.
    07-28-16 01:35 PM
    So that's where Dan Dodge landed. Interesting.

I still think his ideas were a bad fit for phones, but are a great fit for autonomous cars. It will be interesting to see how he gels with everyone else at Apple.
    07-28-16 01:43 PM
    So that's where Dan Dodge landed. Interesting.

I still think his ideas were a bad fit for phones, but are a great fit for autonomous cars. It will be interesting to see how he gels with everyone else at Apple.
    What were his ideas?

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 02:13 PM
    Looks like someone has been propping up MOBL today. I wonder who that would be?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, masterful and rarsen like this.
    07-28-16 02:40 PM
    07-28-16 03:23 PM
    OT: MOBL

MobileIron Announces Fiscal Second Quarter 2016 Results

Surpassed 10 Million Cumulative Seats and 12,000 Cumulative Customers Who Have Purchased Our Platform Since 2009

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., July 28, 2016 -- MobileIron (NASDAQ: MOBL), the stand-alone EMM leader, today announced results for its second fiscal quarter ended June 30, 2016.

Second Quarter 2016 Financial Highlights

GAAP revenue was $38.9 million, up 12% year-over-year
    Recurring revenue was $27.6 million, up 28% year-over-year
    Gross billings were $41.2 million, up 6% year-over-year
    Recurring billings, which represented 74% of gross billings, were $30.4 million, up 21% year-over-year
    GAAP net loss per share was $0.27; non-GAAP net loss per share was $0.14
    Cash and equivalents, plus short and long term investments stood at $85.9 million

“In our second fiscal quarter, we bounced back from the challenges witnessed in the first quarter, with upside in both billings and revenue. We remain on track to be cash flow positive from operations in the fourth quarter,” said Barry Mainz, CEO, MobileIron. “We have two strong secular tailwinds working in our favor: compliance requirements are growing as is the mobile threat landscape. As a result, more customers see mobile security as a must have and they are not satisfied with a solution that is just good enough. We continue to be chosen by companies with the highest security requirements and most complex environments.”

Second Quarter 2016 Business Highlights

Platform
    Launched general availability of 9.0 version of the company’s award-winning mobile security software for mobile apps, content, and devices.
    Introduced MobileIron Access, with integrations to many of the most widely used enterprise cloud apps including ones like Box, Google Apps for Work, Office 365, and Salesforce.
    Released the Rooms App for iOS enterprise customers, a lightweight conference room- scheduling app that displays room availability based on the user's current or future location.
    As of end of 2Q 2016, MobileIron ecosystem had 512 active technology partners, which have released over 230 technology integrations.

Channels
    Increased our presence in Europe by expanding our relationships with Infinigate and the largest mobile operator in Greece, COSMOTE S.A., a subsidiary company of Deutsche Telekom group.
    Our largest reseller, AT&T, represented approximately 15% of revenue for the quarter.

Milestones and Recognition
    Named Greig Patton SVP of Worldwide Sales and Dilip Patel as SVP of Customer Success.
    MobileIron first to receive Common Criteria certification for Mobile Device Management Protection Profile V2, a critical requirement for selling to Federal government agencies.
    Granted three additional US patents bringing the total to 33.
    Named by Gartner as a Leader for sixth consecutive year in Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Mobility Management Suites.*
    Named Top Mobile Security Vendor by the Network World Asia Information Management Awards 2016 for the second consecutive year.

Financial Outlook
    The company is providing the following outlook for its fiscal third quarter 2016 (ending September 30, 2016):

GAAP revenue is expected to be between $39 million and $41 million, growth between 3% and 8% year-over-year.
    Gross billings are expected to be between $43 million and $45 million, growth between 5% and 10% over last year.
    Non-GAAP gross margin is expected to be between 81% and 83%, and non-GAAP operating expenses are expected to be between $41 million and $43 million.

The company is providing the following outlook for its fiscal 2016 (ending December 31, 2016):

Non-GAAP operating margin is expected to be between -8% and -12% for the fourth quarter 2016.
    Cash from operations is expected to be positive for the fiscal fourth quarter 2016.
    https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...x99126bfbe.htm
    07-28-16 03:29 PM
    What were his ideas?
    How you schedule processes, how you think about memory and process model, how you architect the stack, the design of APIs, etc.

Everything I've seen from BB since he got there (and QNX before) seems really well suited to this autonomous driving use case.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 07-28-16 at 04:44 PM.
    07-28-16 04:26 PM
    07-28-16 09:56 PM
    OT: MSFT
    Microsoft to Shed 2,850 Additional Jobs - WSJ

Layoffs come as company retools sales operations, dismantles mobile phone hardware business

Microsoft Corp. plans to lay off 2,850 employees, adding to previously announced job cuts as it retools its sales operations and dismantles its mobile phone hardware business.

The software giant disclosed the latest cuts in a Thursday filing to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

Nine hundred of the layoffs in the global sales unit have already been completed, a spokesman said.

Those cuts are part of a restructuring announced earlier this month when former chief operating officer Kevin Turner departed Microsoft for hedge fund Citadel LLC’s securities unit. His departure led Microsoft Chief Executive Satya Nadella to reorganize the sales group.

Microsoft disclosed the new leadership group as part of that reorganization, but it didn’t publicly note the layoffs at the time.

The remaining 1,950 cuts, which Microsoft expects to complete by mid-2017, will include jobs in the sales organization and mobile phone division.

The latest cuts come on the heels of 1,850 layoffs in the phone unit, announced in May.
    rarsen likes this.
    07-29-16 08:15 AM
113,256 ... 39553956395739583959 ...