1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Short numbers

6/30/2016 54,377,600
    6/15/2016 55,166,858
    Corbu, kadakn01, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    07-12-16 03:06 PM
    i'm surprised and happy about this picture' pokemon go seems to be a big thing now' and booom blackberry posting that game installed on a Priv! while I don't care about pokemon go i think it's smart exposure to something trending! what do you think?

Posted with a BlackBerry Priv.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-83028.jpg  
    ZayDub likes this.
    07-12-16 05:26 PM
    i'm surprised and happy about this picture' pokemon go seems to be a big thing now' and booom blackberry posting that game installed on a Priv! while I don't care about pokemon go i think it's smart exposure to something trending! what do you think?
    How far we've come from "Tools, not toys"

I like it. Simple reminder that Priv has no app gap. Everything in Google Play just works. I bet there a lot of normal people who still don't realize that.
    07-12-16 07:01 PM
    So is there something in the works for another BB10 device? I mean firmware and software because of the driver related on their hw.

Anyhow, anyone here seen Therock
    I would like your input if you are around!

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    HI Masterful, I'm still around. I visit the thread everyday.

I've actually reduced my BBRY holding significantly at $9.50 CAD. In the past few years, Blackberry had the bases loaded several times. The ideas were innovative, the products were great, the technology was wonderful, and they failed to make that grand slam hit every time. I'd like to be a significant holder when the bases are loaded again. Android is just not exciting. I wonder if people would buy Samsung phones if they only offered Tizen.

As for the future, I believe Chen will easily hit the 30% revenue growth in software. Security and privacy are surprisingly still very underrated with consumers. However, working for the government, I can assure you there's a deep concern. My department got hit really hard with a sophisticated ransomware last week. It's an absolute nightmare and the recovery, if possible, is very expensive. Our security team conveyed that several hospital organizations in Canada were so deeply crippled that <"security"> organization recommended the bitcoin payout. (it was in the 10's of millions) and there was no guarantee of getting the key!

A few years ago, I was shocked to find out that servers were being purchased for as much as $10,000 per box. I can build a higher spec one for under $2000! I never understood why anyone would authorize such a purchase. After several years, it's clear and now I would make the same purchase without hesitation. In comparison, Blackberry doesn't have to compete for price with BB10. A $600 Z30-like BB10 device will sell well to organizations demanding the highest security. What's with the $200 Leaps??? They are being issued to everyone and Blackberry is barely scraping a profit! Going Android, Blackberry will get killed competing with Nexus phones, Asus, and Chinese phones in the consumer space. Selling the design is a better option for sure.

Things I am looking still for:
    QNX platform for IOT gaining traction (licensees)
    More Blackberry solutions like Radar
    Dual OS smartphone/computers (work/personal)

Until then, I'm holding cash/silver. These markets don't make any sense.
    07-12-16 07:23 PM
    Thanks for you comments Therock! I am happy to see you are still around.
    I personally likes bb10 very much but as an investor I want everyone else to understand that BlackBerry is not just a dumb phone.
    Too many negative propaganda about BlackBerry which is killing BB10. Hopefully having an android phone can change their perspective!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    Corbu, theRock1975, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    07-12-16 07:39 PM
    2012? That list is a bit dated...
    My wife is on me about giving up my beloved AWD Astrovan because it is dated.
    My Kids hassle me about my dated attire.
    BlackBerry dropped the Classic because it apparently is dated.
    Now you, of all people, are calling me out for my dated chart!?

Lolz. Thanks for the update.

PS - You must continue to carry the MDM torch from this point on.
    How about some latest percentages to add to your update?
    07-12-16 08:09 PM
    My wife is on me about giving up my beloved AWD Astrovan because it is dated.
    My Kids hassle me about my dated attire.
    BlackBerry dropped the Classic because it apparently is dated.
    Now you, of all people, are calling me out for my dated chart!?

Lolz. Thanks for the update.

PS - You must continue to carry the MDM torch from this point on.
    How about some latest percentages to add to your update?
    Don't give it up. Every extra year you do with it is 5k in your pocket
    07-13-16 07:45 AM
    Building the Quintessential BlackBerry Experience | Inside BlackBerry
    By Marty Beard

Last week we shared the latest plan to keep advancing our smartphone portfolio. Unfortunately, the news was misinterpreted by many � from the media, to tech observers, to our fans and customers.

I made the rounds the past couple of days with the press to set the record straight, and the message was this � BlackBerry is not backing away from BB10. Our customers depend on the BB10 platform and they are the ones that drive our roadmap.

That is why we are committed to not just maintaining BB10 software, but advancing it to be even more secure and provide even greater productivity. You�ll see that with the next 10.3.3 update coming within the next month, which will be focused on enhancing our already-stellar privacy and security features.

Future BB10 software updates for 2017 are already in the works. Meanwhile, BlackBerry 10 devices such as the BlackBerry Passport and Leap are still available to our loyal customers.

Our customers also help us decide what type of keyboard we make for them. And what they ask for is choice in both a virtual and physical keyboard. This means we�ll continue to make our iconic BlackBerry keyboard. We have four physical keyboard options that we currently offer: Passport, Passport Silver Edition, Classic and PRIV. There is solid demand for physical keyboards � and as long as that�s the case, we�ll continue to make them. For virtual keyboard fans, you have Leap and PRIV (just keep that slider down).

Now that you know we�re committed to BB10, let me explain why BlackBerry�s device strategy is truly unique. It�s differentiated because it goes beyond just smartphones. Our view is that the rapidly growing mobile environment is quickly being encompassed by an IoT world that requires‎ both strong security and connectivity.

The foundation for this started with the BB10 software platform, which was built by engineers with decades of experience in security. But we knew there was a need to bridge the connectivity gap � leveraging Android was the solution. But, we didn�t just want to create another prosaic Android device.

We wanted to merge the best of BlackBerry with Android � the notion of a new merged BlackBerry platform meant we would provide the security and connectivity BlackBerry is known for, with the content available in the Android ecosystem � all in one environment.

BlackBerry is the only one with this unique flavor of smartphone in the market today. PRIV was the first iteration�and soon there will be others.

At BlackBerry, we�re not looking to fit into the industry standard mold. That�s because mobility has evolved beyond just smartphones and tablets. Besides our burgeoning enterprise software business, the new Mobility Solutions division has defined a strategy enabling us to agilely pursue opportunities in this new security-focused era.
    07-13-16 08:16 AM
    07-13-16 08:19 AM
    Thanks Corbu, took me about an hour to catch up with the Thread, so you beat me at it, again !
    Thanks Morgan too, I see we're still thinking along in the same direction; this "quit the HW" song is so unreal ...

Oh, BTW, not sure if we should take it for Gospel, but did you notice ... ?
    Future BB10 software updates for 2017 are already in the works. Meanwhile, BlackBerry 10 devices such as the BlackBerry Passport and Leap are still available to our loyal customers.
    P.S: sorry for my lack of presence these days but ... have to fit "paying business first" rule.
    P.P.S : Tomorrow is our national day and for those in Toronto, if you want to share it with some frogs ... [delayed]
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-13-16 at 09:32 AM.
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    07-13-16 09:22 AM
    Hey M8 sorry to bother you if you busy but just wanted to get your take on the bio stocks recently, HALO has been very range bound lately and don't know what's causing this, we hit massive resistance at 9.29 every single time then we drop back to the mid 8s, IBB is doing relatively well but we just stagnate. I was going to sell out of all bio stocks before the US elections as I think if Hilary wins we will have a brief sell off. What are your thoughts? Appreciate it as always!
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    07-13-16 11:01 AM
    zIPS and PRIV by BlackBerry: A Perfect Pairing of Privacy and Protection | Inside BlackBerry

(Catch Zimperium at our Security Summit next Tuesday July 19th, as its Chief Product Officer John Michelsen will be on stage with our CSO David Kleidermacher talking about a new standard for assuring security in high-security environments.)
    rarsen and sidhuk like this.
    07-13-16 11:57 AM
    FWIW:

Marty's clarification about BB10 and the future of devices, "Building the Quintessential BlackBerry Experience", is getting very little play in the "media". The same media that never lose an opportunity to bash all things BlackBerry are barely reporting that bit of "news". In actual fact, I was only able to retrieve five to ten such news outlets where, as you know, the slightest bit of bad news is quickly repeated ad infinitum.

Which, to me, reinforces the point that BlackBerry need to be more proactive and better manage their announcements. They have forever been sloppy at controlling the message and though some will claim that it is only noise, I am starting to believe that such noise does matter, in the grander scheme of things. The fact that Marty thought worthwhile to write a "clarification" column could mean that they are starting to get that message. One can only hope.
    Last edited by Corbu; 07-13-16 at 09:05 PM.
    07-13-16 01:21 PM
    Not sure if already posted......

"First Trader Convicted of Spoofing Gets 3-Year Prison Term" - http://bloom.bg/29x1hsz

Michael Coscia, the first person convicted of spoofing after it was made a crime under the Dodd-Frank Act, was sentenced to three years in prison by a federal judge in Chicago, less than half the time sought by prosecutors.

Spoofing, which became illegal under the Dodd-Frank Act, carries a maximum of 10 years in prison. The practice typically consists of systematically placing orders without intending to execute them to trick the market into thinking there�s interest in buying or selling that doesn�t actually exist.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-16 02:16 PM
    Good start. Let's see some more of these and shisters might slow this ****e down...

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen and CDM76 like this.
    07-13-16 04:16 PM
    Hey M8 sorry to bother you if you busy but just wanted to get your take on the bio stocks recently, HALO has been very range bound lately and don't know what's causing this, we hit massive resistance at 9.29 every single time then we drop back to the mid 8s, IBB is doing relatively well but we just stagnate. I was going to sell out of all bio stocks before the US elections as I think if Hilary wins we will have a brief sell off. What are your thoughts? Appreciate it as always!
    Hi slipstream89 !!

I'll tell you my thoughts on a few stocks. First off, I picked up some more BBRY today, at $ 6.65/shr .... thinking we are heading for some more positive news in the weeks ahead. The volume today was really light, the stock seems to find support at $ 6.50/shr and I'm traveling tomorrow morning so I bought more. We'll see how that goes!

Biotechs are cursed by Hilary, she made a blanket statement regarding high drug costs and painted the entire sector with the same sweeping "guilty until proven innocent" dogma, sending them all down. It isn't possible to regulate the entire industry, nor is it necessary as a tiny fraction of that group are guilty of capitalism, the rest are trying to bring home a reasonable return for their investors.

Having stated that Hilary is the culprit, I really like how individual plays are working out. For instance, SPHS is heading for new recent highs, they have backed off/eased an over-bought TA issue, they are no longer getting delisted, the company is dirt cheap and being acquired by those in the know. I really like the way it is trading.

The IBB Index is rolling over and going back to test its 50-dma again, this takes certain stocks down with it. HALO is a great company with an enormous agenda on its plate for this year. It will take some good news to break it out of the Hilary funk though. The same can be said for others, PSDV is still a great buy, many of these stocks that we follow are solid companies and would be doing so much better if it weren't for politics.

The market in general is at all time highs, at some point all stocks will move up here, but for now news is where its at and so we wait. If you hold SPHS keep a close eye on that one, be prepared to roll into other plays throughout the Summer. For me, its time to be at the lake and spend time with my family while keeping an eye on BBRY! Best of luck everyone.
    Last edited by morganplus8; 07-13-16 at 05:09 PM.
    W Hoa, Corbu, Merboy6969 and 15 others like this.
    07-13-16 04:58 PM
    OT:
    CIO Voices: VMware?s Bask Iyer on Connected Cars, Internet of Things, and His Tesla - CIO Journal. - WSJ

The connected car is helping drive VMware's growing Internet of Things business, says CIO Bask Iyer

For Bask Iyer, CIO of VMware Inc., the Internet of Things has moved past hype to real-world applications. Mr. Iyer and his technology team are building infrastructure tools for car companies to manage software updates they will push out to connected cars in the future.

Closer to home, he is working on systems of sensors, software and geo-positioning technology to help VMware employees find charging stations for all the electric cars they drive to work every day. “People wear down batteries driving around looking,” he says, “and we have hundreds of stations.” The realm of connected cars is one of the first areas where the scalability and security of IoT will be tested, he says. Here are edited excerpts of our conversation.

You say connected cars, along with manufacturing and consumer devices, is ripe for Internet of Things. How is VMware working with car companies?

We are building infrastructure to help administer updates to connected cars, to make sure the right software gets upgraded for the right person.

Car companies have to send different versions of software to different cars, depending on where they are. Drivers can also customize how they want updates. That’s a lot to manage.

Right, so if you drive on the right-hand side of the road, it’s a different update than for people who drive on the left side. Sometimes people say they don’t want a download when they have their car away from home. [They] don’t want a download using the office WiFi. That stuff that [drivers] choose – this is infrastructure. We’re in the infrastructure business. The car company would still write applications with features, and we [would] administer [downloads]… The product is called Automatic Software Download.

It sounds like IoT is changing the car business.

Other car manufacturers initially poo-pooed Tesla and its technology. Tesla, yes, it’s an expensive car but the car can pull itself out of the garage for you and we have cars that are twice as expensive that can’t do that. The car has software updates that make it more valuable to the owner as time goes on. I bought a Tesla in January and it didn’t have the summon feature. That came out a month later and all of the sudden it’s even more interesting to own. Coffee cup holders started as a gimmick, too, but now you wouldn’t buy a car without one.

You are a CIO who also helps manage facilities. I heard that you’re looking at applying IoT in your own backyard.

We have so many electric cars, we’re competing for chargers. My thinking is that with sensors and geo-positioning technology we can build a system that can tell you there’s a charging spot in Garage C available. It books it for you and if you don’t show up in five minutes, you lose it. I don’t know if we don’t have enough charging stations or just not enough in a certain garage. Now I’ll have data.
    rarsen, sidhuk and OlympusMons like this.
    07-14-16 08:03 AM
    OT: PSDV
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/invest...150000669.html

As it is of interest to some, here. Nice spike.
    masterful, rarsen, q649 and 3 others like this.
    07-14-16 10:41 AM
    OT: PSDV
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/invest...150000669.html

As it is of interest to some, here. Nice spike.
    OT: I've been wondering for some time if my near $4 purchase was a bad idea, but today's announcement looks very promising... guess I'll be holding onto this one for awhile.

"Investigator-Sponsored Phase 2 Study Results Show pSivida’s Medidur� Fully Controlled Uveitis for Two Years with No Recurrence of Disease While Visual Acuity Continued to Improve"
    Corbu, OlympusMons and CDM76 like this.
    07-14-16 12:28 PM
    Good reading material!

Martina: How did BB10 allow you and Ryan to tell the story of Captain Rye?

Matt: I�d like to say that any device could have allowed us to accomplish what we did. But, having tried multiple devices, nothing else could have allowed us to do what we�ve done with such speed and efficiency. Every stage of the project was an exercise and experiment in streamlining, due to the time required to progress through each part. The amount of physical and mental energy required of Ryan is, in itself, a huge obstacle, so having a device that could flow between apps and could also easily display on his large screen through a simple wire connection allowed us to focus our stamina on the slower processes. Namely myself! Keeping up with Ryan�s speed is critical, and not having to worry about or struggle with technology allowed more time and energy to be devoted to what was really important � what many of us might consider to be the simple act of telling a story. The entire story was written on a BB10 device, along with all the photo editing for illustrations, communicating with his support network, and monitoring of the blogs to which we posted the book chapter by chapter.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/07/...venture-novel/

Also

http://app.biz.blackberry.com/e/es?s...d=2027&elqat=1

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    07-14-16 02:16 PM
    I think the following is interesting as we try and consider BBM's value to BBRY.

Line, by delaying their IPO really cut their valuation and the story addresses why. I think BBM and Line compete in places like Indonesia - and considering last weeks announcements this also has some relevance.

Why Line?s Two-Year Wait for IPO Cost It $4 Billion in Valuation - Bloomberg
    rarsen likes this.
    07-14-16 02:41 PM
    07-14-16 03:40 PM
    it's looking worse and worse for XOMA .... anyone got any insights on that one?

As for BB, I'm not letting go anytime soon, but truth be told I'm getting a little "frustrated"...
    07-14-16 04:56 PM
    SF...our hearts go out to you and your whole country in yet another senseless attack. Thoughts and prayers to all affected
    07-15-16 01:59 AM
    Thank you all for all the friendly messages.
    All of mines are safe.
    Won't comment furthermore on this topic, I now believe we must mute them to restrain propaganda.
    Uzi, rarsen, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    07-15-16 06:54 AM
113,256 ... 39483949395039513952 ...