View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
  1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar

With the unprecedented level of cyberattacks ,white collar financial fraud, rampant identity thefts and data breaches ---reaching record levels... how is it possible BlackBerry (security/software focused) HAS NOT / IS NOT cashing in on this BIG time ?.... it's been their so-called mission, and area of leadership for quite some time .. not the selling of mobile phones .... So, what have they been doing to really cash in on this?

Or will they "wait" and be overtaken as was the case with BBM (whatsapp, Wechat, LINE..)? LINE IPO's this week. They started from scratch 2012... will likely exceed BlackBerry net worth by end of week (very angry BlackBerry shareholder here!)...

Timely and strategic monetization of what you have is key... not being "married to your past"... wait too long.. ..Competition eats your lunch, BlackBerry!!

... Focus on a few "winners" and sell / shut down the rest.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 07-11-16 at 12:42 PM.
    07-11-16 12:02 PM
    OT: Talking about Security and Cybersecurity
    Swift Hires Cybersecurity Firms Following Customer Breaches - WSJ

Swift, operator of the world’s largest money-transfer system, said it has hired a pair of information-security firms to help it scrutinize customers’ use of its systems and detect attempted hacks, following a series of breaches at user sites in recent months.

The Brussels company, whose full name is the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication, has been battered by a series of cyberthefts that have hit banks in Ecuador, Vietnam, Bangladesh and Ukraine in the past 18 months.

Swift has repeatedly said the core of its network remains uncompromised and it is the responsibility of its users to maintain the integrity of their systems. But it has also faced concerns about its inability to ensure the security of its user interface and the authenticity of its message traffic.

Hackers stole $9 million from a bank in Ecuador last year and walked away with $81 million in a brazen attack on Bangladesh’s central bank in February.

The perpetrators, who haven’t been identified, stole the banks’ Swift credentials and fraudulently sent payment instructions over the Swift network.

On Monday, Swift announced it had created a cyberforensics and security-intelligence force to “investigate security incidents within customer environments.”

The company said it hired BAE Systems, the London defense firm whose researchers have been blogging about cyber incidents and Swift since before their engagement, and Fox-IT, which is based in the Netherlands.

Swift had announced a series of stepped-up security procedures in May, including possible audits of customer security.

Under the new customer security program, Swift has been gathering information about the breaches and feeding information back to its user community.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox-IT

Too bad BlackBerry isn't in this business... Or could/should it be?
    rarsen, La Emperor and morganplus8 like this.
    07-11-16 12:23 PM
    With the unprecedented level of cyberattacks ,white collar financial fraud, rampant identity thefts and data breaches ---reaching record levels... how is it possible BlackBerry (security/software focused) HAS NOT / IS NOT cashing in on this big time ?.... it's been their so-called mission and area of leadership for quite some time .. not the selling mobile phones .... So, what have they been doing to cash in on this?

Or will they be overtaken as was the case with BBM?

Posted via CB10
    When the world doesn't care about security and is more than willing to wait for their current darling (apple or android) to catch up in security features rather than switch to the "current leader" of security features, I don't think there's much BlackBerry can do. Plus, it's the telcos that are really in charge. They don't care about security either. Their ties to the US government and three letter agencies probably encourages to disseminate BlackBerry for the general consumer.

Look around these forums and also read the news about the President and the US Senate. There are tons of users who just. dont. care. about security. Or they give lip service to caring about security, but their actions say otherwise. Very, very few are even willing to give it any value in the handsets. To them, they just value hardware specs and they readily believe all the empty ptomises/marketing speak of "security" from the likes of Apple and What�s App and Google (talk the talk, but can't walk the walk) and snub BlackBerry, the one that has forever, talked the talk and walked the walk.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, La Emperor and CDM76 like this.
    07-11-16 12:26 PM
    07-11-16 12:56 PM
    07-11-16 12:57 PM
    BlackBerry certainly generates a lot of passion...
    Bye Bye, BlackBerry
    07-11-16 12:57 PM
    07-11-16 02:02 PM

Published on Jul 11, 2016
    Protect your content everywhere it travels with the world leader in Secure File Synchronization and Sharing. Recognized as a global leader by Industry Analysts, WatchDox by BlackBerry is the only solution that can systematically enforce file-level DRM security for critical business content and applications. Connect people to the files they need to get work done, from anywhere on any platform or any device and know that you will always be in full control of your files, even after they are downloaded by third-parties.
    rarsen, OlympusMons and Mr BBRY like this.
    07-11-16 02:09 PM
    Hi farmwesteve !!

You have nailed it, in the end, it doesn't matter what currency you buy the stock in. If you bought when the stock was at par, (see my example) you have paid $ 18.00/US or CDN for a share. Today, you have seen the stock trade at $ 6.70/shr US and $ 9.00/CDN and so the drop in US terms is much larger than the drop in CDN terms and you have still benefited from the purchase at par. At one point this year, the stock was down from $ 18.00/US to $ 6.00/US but in CDN terms it was down from $ 18.00/shr/CDN to $ 9.00/CDN or far less than if you played in US currency alone. In the very short-term, say this year, currency mattered slightly, and in Canada's favour.

As for a take-over of BBRY, not going to happen as Chen sees a minimum of $ 15.00/shr/US and Prem needs that amount to even consider selling out his position. Prem controls enough shares to stop a take-over and everyone knows this hence no offer will ever occur. Once Chen takes back a pile of those Conv. Bonds, the story changes in the Fall. I think the stock will be much higher if Chen can take out a very large portion of those bonds. At that time we will also be seeing new phones and solid revenue numbers versus yoy quarters.

Thanks for the heads up compliment on SPHS, prostrate cancer is big business and this little company has a winner. It would take nothing to buy this company and it is worth at least three times the current price.
    Hi Morgan! If it's true that Prem is in control and wants no less than 15 USD, one could ask: if there's interest in BBRY (remember the Samsung rumour) why not offer 15? Are we 'asking too much' and is the interest just not there or... Tech companies spend tens of billions on unproven business models, stock markets are at all time highs,... that should be favorable to BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-16 02:31 PM
    BlackBerry Won?t Rule Out New Phone Running on its BB10 System - Bloomberg

Next Android-based phone’s release is ‘very, very imminent’
    BlackBerry recently stopped manufacturing Classic phone

BlackBerry Ltd. won’t rule out another handset running its own operating system even as it pushes ahead with new Android-based smartphones and hardware sales keep slipping.

Last week, BlackBerry said it was discontinuing its keyboard-equipped Classic model, a move which set off a flurry of articles in the technology blogosphere suggesting that the company was abandoning the keyboard and its proprietary operating system, known as BB10. Chief Operating Officer Marty Beard said in an interview Monday that neither of those assertions are true.

“We are absolutely not backing away from BB10,” Beard said. “The company’s never said that we would not build another BB10 device.”

BlackBerry began making phones running Android’s operating system last year because developers had stopped building applications for BB10. Chief Executive Officer John Chen said at the time BlackBerry would keep making BB10 for its most security-conscious customers, but eventually BlackBerry’s version of Android software would be secure enough to replace the BB10 operating system if needed.

Chen has at least two new phones in the works and aims to make the unit profitable by September. Still, some analysts have said that only cutting phones completely would restore the market’s confidence in the company. The stock was down 28 percent to $6.66 this year at the end of trading in New York on Friday. Chen has said the Android-based Priv phone didn’t sell as well as he had hoped.

Investors should realize that BlackBerry’s Android software is just as unique to the company as BB10, Beard said. BlackBerry is pulling all the top features from BB10 and adding it to its Android system, creating a hybrid that has the best of both worlds, he said.

“The market doesn’t seem to understand. It talks about them as very binary,” Beard said. The company’s decisions will be driven by what its customers want, whether that’s pure BB10 phones or Android-based ones, he said. BlackBerry is still selling its Leap and Passport BB10 phones.

The announcement for BlackBerry’s next handset, which will be Android-based, is “very, very imminent,” Beard said, declining to provide more details about the device. The company has its annual Security Summit scheduled for July 19.
    07-11-16 04:47 PM
    So, that's "merge" ... ?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    rarsen likes this.
    07-11-16 05:05 PM
    Huuuum..... fingers crossed

07-11-16 05:34 PM
    They won against us pretty much the same way we won against Germans ...
    But at the end of the day, I'm pretty satisfied with our team in finals. Few would have bet a dime on this a few moths ago ... They (the players) have all my due respect and congratulations !
    To remain ON topic : I'm the guy of "desperate" causes ... with sometimes quite a great achievement
    Totally agree, France did more then was expected of them. I myself didn't have France or Portugal in the finals, but this championship had lots of surprises.

Cheers!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    OlympusMons and Superfly_FR like this.
    07-11-16 05:35 PM
    https://twitter.com/superfly_FR/stat...28447315451904

+

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-key...erry-10-device (my thoughts 100%)

Okkkkkkaaaaayyyyy ?

Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-42810.jpg  
    07-11-16 06:12 PM
    https://twitter.com/superfly_FR/stat...28447315451904

+

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-key...erry-10-device (my thoughts 100%)

Okkkkkkaaaaayyyyy ?

OK. Need to book United seat 8B. Good to know.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-16 06:26 PM
    While we await the stock to climb back to a realistic value, perhaps we should keep a close watch on the MDM players. It would be useful to track these from ER-ER to provide some clarity as to the success of BlackBerry/Good solution. :

http://www.enterpriseios.com/story/2...ity_generated_

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20160711_175411.png
    07-11-16 08:29 PM
    While we await the stock to climb back to a realistic value, perhaps we should keep a close watch on the MDM players. It would be useful to track these from ER-ER to provide some clarity as to the success of BlackBerry/Good solution. :

http://www.enterpriseios.com/story/2...ity_generated_

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160711_175411.png 
Views:	645 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	403817
    Lol, do I see an Apple logo in there?'
    07-11-16 09:28 PM
    07-12-16 08:09 AM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    .."only cutting out phones would restore market confidence in the company".... says the Market.... interesting... yet new phones coming out... maybe even bb10 based.... whether consumers or enterprises buy them is another story yet to unfold... Let's hope Chen has it right....

Posted via CB10
    07-12-16 09:11 AM
    Hi Morgan! If it's true that Prem is in control and wants no less than 15 USD, one could ask: if there's interest in BBRY (remember the Samsung rumour) why not offer 15? Are we 'asking too much' and is the interest just not there or... Tech companies spend tens of billions on unproven business models, stock markets are at all time highs,... that should be favorable to BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    Hi _dimi !!

I agree, BlackBerry is likely being watched by several suitors every day. Everyone knows what the price is for a successful bid and it could happen at a moments notice giving the stock one of the highest % pops in an M&A buyout. Only the jaded media/analysts are monkeying around with HW and revenue versus software growth to pin down the price of the stock. Those who make a living out of growing real businesses know that if BB gets to a dominating position in software/services, the HW factor doesn't matter. We hear from jaded media reports but we never hear from those in the business. If you owned the stock and were influenced solely by the media, you would be selling your position thinking that HW matters. Prem isn't the only investor holding enough stock to dictate a price, but he is the only one labeling a price from day one. My point is that all of this changes once the bonds are retired and no one has the right to shut-down a bid.

I have never been more comfortable with the investment then I am now. They have growth in software/services, they design phones .... not make them, they seem to be a happy lot in terms of new staff and their approach to the business, everything is falling into place for this Fall. If Chen can call in $ 600 MM plus of those bonds this Fall, things will change for the stock. Lastly, we have seen a huge compression in the price of the stock over the past couple years. Remember when SAP was collapsing, HW was dropping off and we were incurring huge write-downs and BB looked like it couldn't recover? The stock price would dip below $ 10.00/shr and pop back over it on take-over rumours. Today, we have a tight balance sheet, cash-flow positive, close to break-even on HW, a growing SW/Services business and a plan in place to grow the business and the stock is locked in a sub- $ 7.00/shr/US range. We know Chen is going to take-out the huge overhang in Conv. Bonds that dilute the value of the company and cost us $ 75 MM per year and still we sit down here at sub $ 7.00. Something has to give.
    07-12-16 11:26 AM

Considering MDM? Compare 30 MDM vendors online and off with our community-generated chart. | Enterprise iOS

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160711_175411.png 
Views:	645 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	403817
    2012? That list is a bit dated. Since then, the chart has changed slightly:

Zenprise is now part of Citrix (deeper pockets)
    Sybase is now part of SAP (deeper pockets)
    BoxTone was bought by Good, which in turn was bought by BlackBerry (So strike BoxTone and Good from the list)
    Airwatch is now part of VMWare (deeper pockets, but since EMC was acquired by Dell, holes may be forming in the pockets now? dunno.)
    MFormation is now part of Alcatel/Lucent (but didn't Alcatel/Lucent just split/reorg?)
    MaaS360/Fiberlink is now part of IBM, so you can strike them off the list.

Many of the smaller/lesser known names on the list seemed to focus solely on iOS management, but I could be wrong.
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    07-12-16 11:48 AM
    .."only cutting out phones would restore market confidence in the company".... says the Market.... interesting... yet new phones coming out... maybe even bb10 based.... whether consumers or enterprises buy them is another story yet to unfold... Let's hope Chen has it right....

Posted via CB10
    Cutting phones will bring back investors? Are they crazy? The next leg to fall with be the crushing drop in revenues as you have pointed out in the past. BlackBerry cannot win this battle, it is always going to be a case of "revenues are plunging" or HW "keeping others from showing an interest" in the stock. When HP sold off their $ 700 tablet, they dumped them for $ 100 and I bought one. BlackBerry is dropping it's old Classic phone and I would like to see the price drop to a $ 100 too. It's not dropping and everyone of those phones will sell out at high levels. Chen is showing zero signs of dropping HW, he doesn't want to, he has phones slated for 2017, it is clear he never wanted to get out of HW so stop with this nonsense already!

If there is an article that states BB should drop hardware and then goes onto value the company based on revenues only, I won't read it. If they want HW dropped and are prepared to value the company as a going concern in software/services then I want to read about that. This thread hangs on the media and they almost always get it wrong. They have been so wrong about Apple, they are looking for clicks and everything is fare game for them. We need to focus on BlackBerry itself, stop reading senseless articles and concentrate on MOBL earnings and what is happening in their space. If we just looked at the competition we would learn far more then reading hyped up articles all day. I know, I'm bored enough to read just about anything on BlackBerry but I don't take any of their nonsense to heart. The bottom line for me is that Chen and I are both in the same space, we want HW to remain, we want Software/Services to growth to a meaningful level, and we want those bonds retired ASAP. If he can produce an Android phone that looks and feels like a BB10 phone, good for him, bring it on. For me, you get rid of those Conv. Bonds and then you'll see money come into the stock, investors will treat the stock as a high margin company with take-out prospects, not a HW company with too much cash and too many diluted shares.

Just my thoughts on a lazy day. Good to see the markets hitting all time highs today, come on BBRY!
    Corbu, rarsen, sidhuk and 10 others like this.
    07-12-16 11:50 AM
    So is there something in the works for another BB10 device? I mean firmware and software because of the driver related on their hw.

Anyhow, anyone here seen Therock
    I would like your input if you are around!

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    07-12-16 11:51 AM
    Someone over in the Priv forum posted this. It's a story about the new Pok�mon game and the reporter is using a Priv. Unfortunately it's hard to tell it's a Priv unless you are already familiar with them, but it's good to see one on TV anyway.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36763504

07-12-16 01:50 PM
    So is there something in the works for another BB10 device? I mean firmware and software because of the driver related on their hw.

Anyhow, anyone here seen Therock
    I would like your input if you are around!

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    No.... Marty just said that they didn't say there wasn't going to be any new BB10 Devices. Not exactly the same thing....

But yes, it will be expensive to re-enter the market in 2018 with a new BB10 device. Most likely they just aren't ruling it out, as who knows what will happen to tech in the next two years....
    ZayDub and cgk like this.
    07-12-16 02:19 PM
113,256 ... 39473948394939503951 ...