View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    How many people die every day in car accidents? How many people have died with a computer driving the vehicle?

Yeah, I'll take computers driving all the cars over being on the road with other people driving.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree, but generally this is a difficult thing to accept, was reading a book recently about how hard it was for hospitals to start using algorithms even though they helped doctors/nurses become much more effective.

It comes down to, if a human makes an error, it's more understandable; easier to swallow, 'I made the best decision I could' we know and accept that humans make mistakes so we can relate.

However when an algorithm makes a mistake (even though overall it's much more efficient) it will hurt much more because it's not human, add to that the x number of films about machines killing humans and it just doesn't sit well with people, we expect perfection from machines.

Also it's about responsibility, with a human you know (most of the time) whose fault it was, with a machine, how do you hold a machine accountable? Or is it the people that created it but to what extent can you hold them accountable for a system that's trained to make its own decisions...

Posted via CB10
    CDM76, b121, ZayDub and 1 others like this.
    07-03-16 05:03 AM
    Yup, considering cost of business goes down as well, and the money is rarely, if ever, repatriated. In BlackBerry's case, their rent of the new office space just declined if using those numbers too.

Posted via CB10
    I'm going to dig into it but if anyone has any additional information about UK specific costs / sales for BBRY it would be appreciated. I know from living in Canada that all smartphone prices adjust fairly quickly to the USD based pricing, but other costs / sales are likely more sticky to the pound.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-16 05:54 AM
    I vote that we wait for what is being used to totally crash and burn, and then QNX become the industry standard by default.
    Aside from the 'glitches', how long before the hacks begin?

If QNX doesn't become the underlying standard by 2020, I'll eat a bug.
    Gotta start looking for the ugliest bug on earth for the year of 2020. LOL

Agree, there is a lot more to come and I also wonder how many have not been reported. People have this human vs machine mentality. One of the hardest thing this debate faces is "trust". "Humans are creatures of habits ".

This was a white trailer vs autopilot, can you imagine the other way around?

Time to buy a horse!

Cheers!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    07-03-16 07:46 AM
    Happy 4th of July to our friends from the USA:

07-03-16 09:48 PM
    Follow-up, with a BlackBerry official statement :
    Note : bold and underline are mine.

Will you stop producing Classic and Leap smartphones? How will you support your loyal customers in the enterprise and regulated industries?

BlackBerry’s device strategy is based on a cross-platform model where we’ll continue to support our BlackBerry 10 platform while expanding our device offering to include Android-based devices. In the near-term, we’re are focused on software updates for BlackBerry 10, with version 10.3.3 scheduled for next month, and a second update to follow next year. Our 10.3.3 update, is under review to be certified for NIAP compliance – this means BB10 will have passed the strictest government-grade security certifications. This achievement will enable us to further support our government and regulated customers who use BB10 devices and demand the highest levels of security.

While the manufacturing cycle will cease for some BlackBerry 10 smartphones, as a normal industry cycle, customers can continue to purchase our Classic and Leap devices unlocked online. We’re actively supporting sales of our BlackBerry Passport smartphone to partners and customers in most markets. And for customers choosing our Android devices as their next smartphone, there will be a seamless transition, including special hardware/software bundles, and without compromising security of their mobile operations or integration to the most secure enterprise platforms.

We believe that being truly cross platform – from supporting the BB10 software platform our customers have come to trust and use, to the recent success we’ve seen with our secure Android devices – will allow us to best serve our customers across the world.
    Not surprising, but may have to be repeated.
    This statement has been updated, so here's the proper one.
    P.S: if you've read the CB blog I mentioned above, nothing new (but in the doubt & for clarity ...)

BlackBerry’s device strategy is based on a cross-platform model where we’ll continue to support our BlackBerry 10 platform while expanding our device offering to include Android-based devices. We are focused on software updates for BlackBerry 10, with version 10.3.3 scheduled for next month, and a second update to follow next year.

Similar to many other device makers, we are changing the lineup of smartphones as we innovate and advance our portfolio. And, we are updating our smartphone lineup with state of the art devices. As part of this, and after many successful years in the market, we have informed our US carriers that the manufacturing cycle of only our BlackBerry Classic will cease. However, we have informed our customers to check with their respective carrier for device availability or purchase Classic unlocked online. We continue to actively support sales of our BlackBerry 10 smartphones to customers in most markets. And for customers choosing our Android device as their next smartphone, there will be a seamless transition without any compromise to the security of their mobile platform or operations.

We believe that being truly cross platform – which includes support for BB10, Android, iOS and Windows Phone – will allow us to best serve our customers across the world.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-04-16 at 05:16 AM.
    07-04-16 05:02 AM
    Clarification, if needed:
    Change is Only Natural: A Classic Model Makes Way | Inside BlackBerry

(This blog is by Ralph Pini, Chief Operating Officer and General Manager for Devices at BlackBerry.)

Sometimes it can be very tough to let go. For BlackBerry, and more importantly for our customers, the hardest part in letting go is accepting that change makes way for new and better experiences.

When I took on the role as the GM for Devices, I spoke about three critical elements for the success of our devices business. First was expanding choice for customers. Second was leveraging our unmatched experience and capabilities in security. Third was building on the BlackBerry pedigree.

These are the tenets that help keep us focused and the reasons why we are committed to the success of both BlackBerry 10 and Android devices. To keep innovating and advancing our portfolio, we are updating our smartphone lineup with state of the art devices. As part of this, and after many successful years in the market, we will no longer manufacture BlackBerry Classic. For many years, Classic (and its BBOS predecessors) has been in our portfolio. It has been an incredible workhorse device for customers, exceeding all expectations. But, the Classic has long surpassed the average lifespan for a smartphone in today’s market. We are ready for this change so we can give our customers something better – entrenched in our legacy in security and pedigree in making the most productive smartphones.

For now, if the Classic is still your device of choice, please check with your carriers for device availability or purchase Classic unlocked online. We continue to actively support BlackBerry 10 with software updates and are on track to deliver version 10.3.3 next month with a second update to follow next year.

I’m excited for what’s to come and looking forward to giving you a new and better experience.
    07-05-16 08:16 AM
    From the Related Technologies where not everything is static, some doom and gloom concerns and changes spread around as not limited to BBRY. Apple falling 24.35% over the past twelve months, rather higher than BBRY's average:

Foxconn Unit Plans IPO That Could Raise $1 Billion - NASDAQ.com
    Apple Stock Has an Earnings Problem: Analyst (AAPL) | Investopedia
    07-05-16 09:10 AM
    07-05-16 11:29 AM
    From the link below comes this interesting factoid. I had no idea BlackBerry had that many users.

BlackBerry�s base of phone users has fallen to 23 million from 79 million in 2012.
    BlackBerry to drop Classic from device lineup - Cantech Letter
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    07-05-16 01:11 PM
    Chen's getting a little testy:

Chen expressed frustration with the market's focus on BlackBerry's handsets, pointing to growth in software sales and cost-cutting that has improved margins.

"Despite my best efforts to tell the world I'm a lot more than just a phone company, every question I ever get is about phones," he said.
    BlackBerry CEO confident on handset profit; results top expectations | Reuters
    07-05-16 01:21 PM
    With all due respect, the media are doing their best to give this news item about the Classic far more play than it deserves.

Reuters published the exact same (word for word) piece from which the above-mentioned quote is extracted two weeks ago, on June 23rd, after the EC. They have simply reissued it today to surf on the "bad news".

I, for one, am dissatisfied with BlackBerry's PR/Communications department (if there is one) as this news about the Classic has been poorly handled from the start with a delayed reaction to the erroneous information posted on a blog site and this morning's "announcement" by Ralph Pini. A week's worth of disinformation and lack of clarity. Unacceptable. And we have become accustomed to this type of scenario. Nothing new here. BlackBerry has the nasty habit of not controlling the message and letting itself be bullied by everyone, including the media. John Chen may complain all he wants but I, for one, humbly believes he should and could have done better on the PR/Communications front. As a shareholder, I have had enough of such a passive, laissez-faire attitude. This is irresponsible.

/rant
    07-05-16 01:44 PM
    I, for one, am dissatisfied with BlackBerry's PR/Communications department (if there is one)
    Chen, to my mind, doesn't have the fire power to combat the negatives at the moment. Simply put, he's not controlling the agenda. His time to shine and do no wrong will be after the shorts have cleared out and everyone goes long. Until then......
    07-05-16 02:02 PM
    With all due respect, the media are doing their best to give this news item about the Classic far more play than it deserves.

Reuters published the exact same (word for word) piece from which the above-mentioned quote is extracted two weeks ago, on June 23rd, after the EC. They have simply reissued it today to surf on the "bad news".

I, for one, am dissatisfied with BlackBerry's PR/Communications department (if there is one) as this news about the Classic has been poorly handled from the start with a delayed reaction to the erroneous information posted on a blog site and this morning's "announcement" by Ralph Pini. A week's worth of disinformation and lack of clarity. Unacceptable. And we have become accustomed to this type of scenario. Nothing new here. BlackBerry has the nasty habit of not controlling the message and letting itself be bullied by everyone, including the media. John Chen may complain all he wants but I, for one, humbly believes he should and could have done better on the PR/Communications front. As a shareholder, I have had enough of such a passive, laissez-faire attitude. This is irresponsible.

/rant
    I am with you on this one. I have been reading this the past week or so and wondering why this was news. I think it was 2 quarters ago or so that Chen stated they were going to stop making the Classic because they couldn't get the parts any more.

Its amazing to me that they don't have anyone with vision to get in front of the message. The next generation of BlackBerry keyboard phone is well into development. Chen has said it will be available in 2017. It would seem a simple message one version leaves another is just around the corner and boy will it be worth waiting for...blah blah blah.

Chen has been very good about direction. Communication is another matter.
    07-05-16 02:44 PM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    unfortunately, when over half your current revenue is still related to phones (inc SAF) ... its still relevant Mr. Chen ... which is why the non phone business must truly take off.....and dominate! QNX, IOT, security services, etc ... something!..... must truly stand out ... partnerships... IP deals.... to diminish the phone Brand....
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 07-05-16 at 06:42 PM.
    07-05-16 04:19 PM
    Dude just needs to show hardware profit by Sept. Hopefully the ER will show that, if not he will state they will be hardware unit profitable for the Dec ER.

Given the massive hardware related IP obligations/write off last Q, it's looking likely....and with the 9M/qtr BBM licensing revenue (hardware apps related Rev = hardware unit Rev right?), he just needs to get the next device released and get some blackberry experience suite apps licensed to cover the other 13M operating loss.

Well it's July, where's that next $399 Android slab.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 07:19 PM
    OT: Security / Cars
    Thieves Go High-Tech to Steal Cars - WSJ
    rarsen likes this.
    07-05-16 08:43 PM
    I couldn't help myself and added to my long position after hours today. It would be nice to see revenue start to grow again and the stock price stabilize.

(7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic -> PRIV)
    07-05-16 11:49 PM
    When you deal with finance, you always need to capture all the elements ...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png

If for one bougth $BBRY in CAN$ (this is US above) but as you can see ... my acquisition average €/$ change was way above 1.3 and is now in the 1.1 , nice offset lever !
    #lessonLearned : the place you trade might be as much important than the stock fluctuation ...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-06-16 at 03:02 AM.
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    07-06-16 02:23 AM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    When you deal with finance, you always need to capture all the elements ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	393 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	403540

If for one bougth $BBRY in CAN$ (this is US above) but as you can see ... my acquisition average �/$ change was way above 1.3 and is now in the 1.1 , nice offset lever !
    #lessonLearned : the place you trade might be as much important than the stock fluctuation ...
    BlackBerry stock is down 30 percent year to date. ...pretty much at historic all time low.. no need to explain any other way... long shareholders are very upset right now...
    up to CEO Chen to address this totally unacceptable situation.
    If he can't... put company up for sale.

Posted via CB10
    Merboy6969, Iggy City and abouthsu like this.
    07-06-16 05:40 AM
    Chen, to my mind, doesn't have the fire power to combat the negatives at the moment. Simply put, he's not controlling the agenda. His time to shine and do no wrong will be after the shorts have cleared out and everyone goes long. Until then......
    Agreed, but then his responsibility is to always consider his shareholders (as he never fails to state), and simply utter a statement such as "We are no longer driving sales towards consumers. Our bb10 phones exist strictly for those that require that level of end-to-end security, and our Android is for smaller industries that need a hybrid solution".
    I know, he has alluded to this, but keeps up the "I believe that we can sell this many..." statement that leaves the barn door wide open for criticism each time this number fails.

The industry standard for sunset on a phone model is to first promote a 'new and exciting' replacement. Removal of the pinnacle model without this common diligence is rubbish! The Android lineup does not directly replace, or really even consider a replacement for the Classic.

I figure that folks will eventually get the direction focus of software and service suites, but as World traveler stated, a huge chunk of their income is still devices.

This is a first time saying this for me:
    This one is on Chen.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 07-06-16 at 11:19 AM.
    07-06-16 11:06 AM
    So typical...

In response to some recent press reports...

Last edited by Corbu; 07-06-16 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added Bla1ze's piece.
    07-06-16 03:15 PM

The industry standard for sunset on a phone model is to first promote a 'new and exciting' replacement. Removal of the pinnacle model without this common diligence is rubbish! The Android lineup does not directly replace, or really even consider a replacement for the Classic.
    Couldn't agree more with your observation. I have to wonder what they are thinking.

Shame about the Classic. I have had virtually all of the BlackBerry phones ever released and this is a great device.

Why they are not going to offer it all the while not having a replacement makes no sense. Perhaps it time to consider buying a couple more backup Classics.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-16 03:21 PM
    Was the Classic a "pinnacle model"? I thought it was a bone tossed to BBOS users who refused to adopt the Q10 because of the lack of the toolbelt, or maybe it was an apology to Q10 users for the tiny & cramped display. Even if it caught on, I thought it was a one shot deal.

The reality is that BlackBerry can't release a Classic w/ Android because all Android apps are programmed for the 16:9 aspect ratio. A 1:1 aspect ratio phone will still have ZERO apps available to it, despite running "the Google." BB10 is pretty much dead, so we can't blame BlackBerry for not announcing a BB10-based Classic II.

So, as I see it, BlackBerry's only transgression here is not formally announcing the first of the two new phones before letting news of the Classic's demise go out.
    07-06-16 04:27 PM
    One thing BlackBerry is great at is releasing negative news.

If only they were half as good for marketing and hyping people...what is Chen doing with this company exactly? It's a slow demise lately, stock going nowhere but down.
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-06-16 05:02 PM
    Anyone care to give an opinion on the After-Hours spike in late afternoon on IBB Biotech Index and its effects on other stocks ?
    Corbu likes this.
    07-06-16 06:04 PM
113,250 ... 39443945394639473948 ...