View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Another large option trade, this time on 3,600 contracts.
    A Trader bought 3,600. ( or the right to buy 360,000 shares) calls at a strike of $7 for Jan 2017. They sold at the same time 3,600 puts at a strike of $8, again for Jan 2017. The credit spread of $.23 a contract or about 83K they received for doing this trade.
    This is a synthetic long position.

By doing this they agree to buy the shares of BBRY at $8 as they sold or wrote the puts. For the money they received ( about $1.33 a share) on 3,600 contracts or about $479,000.
    They then took that $479,000 and bought the right or calls at $7 for $1.10 a share on the 360,000 shares and spent about $396,000 to do this.
    The difference of $83,000 is what they pocket for this trade.
    The open interest btw on the calls was only 885, and the buy was for 3,600, so this is most likely a opening position.

The strategy is that the trader expects BBRY either go up or be flat and the breakeven is about $7.40
    There is quite a bit of risk in this trade if BBRY goes down significantly, but the trader may be hedged, we don't know, also it is possible it is unwinding of a previous trade as well, but my guess remains what I wrote.

As a side note for anyone interested, www.optionsprofitcalculator.com has free calculators on any type of spread trade you can imagine and uses the current prices. Also checking the intraday bid asks, showed me the calls where at the ask ( and I saw the trade and qoute before the trade executed), and the puts at the bid, again confirming the type of trade that was done.
    Also the trades were a total of 3,600, but looking the intraday trades, you can see lots of 300, 200, 300, 1000, 300, 500, 500, and then 422, and between these there were some odd lots, again all totalling 3,600. The trades went starting at 11:05 EST and took about 10 minutes to complete. You can see the exact same trades at the same second execute on the other leg of the trade, perhaps TMI, but thought those that are new would like to know how this all works. There is so much more, as options are the most complicated strategy out there as many have made riches and others have lost it all!
    Posted on my Priv
    Last edited by kadakn01; 05-31-16 at 05:33 PM.
    05-31-16 02:04 PM
    A Trader bought 3,600. ( or the right to buy 360,000 shares) calls at a strike of $7 for Jan 2017. They sold at the same time 3,600 puts at a strike of $8, again for Jan 2017. The credit spread of $.23 a contract or about 83K they received for doing this trade.

By doing this they agree to buy the shares of BBRY at $8 as they sold or wrote the puts. For the money they received ( about $1.33 a share) on 3,600 contracts or about $479,000.
    They then took that $479,000 and bought the right or calls at $7 for $1.10 a share on the 360,000 shares and spent about $396,000 to do this.
    The open interest btw on the calls was only 885, and the buy was for 3,600, so this is most likely a opening position.

The strategy is that the trader expects BBRY either go up or be flat and the breakeven is about $7.40
    There is quite of risk in this trade if BBRY goes down significantly, but the trader may be hedged, we don't know, also it is possible it is unwinding of a previous trade as well, but my guess remains what I wrote.

As a side note for anyone interested, Options profit calculator has free calculators on any type of spread trade you can imagine and uses the current prices. Also checking the intraday bid asks, showed me the calls where at the ask ( and I saw the trade and qoute before the trade executed), and the puts at the bid, again confirming the type of trade that was done.
    Also the trades were a total of 3,600, but looking the intraday trades, you can see lots of 300, 200, 300, 1000, 300, 500, 500, and then 422, and between these there were some odd lots, again all totalling 3,600. The trades went starting at 11:05 EST and took about 10 minutes to complete. You can see the exact same trades at the same second execute on the other leg of the trade, perhaps TMI, but thought those that are new would like to know how this all works. There is so much more, as options are the most complicated strategy out there and how many have made riches and others lost it all!
    Posted on my Priv
    I have to say, excellent work there. Thanks
    CDM76, kadakn01, ZayDub and 5 others like this.
    05-31-16 02:38 PM
    A very simple chart showing where we need to go over the next three weeks:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bb-may-31-2016.png

It doesn't get any simpler, we need to close above today's high, which happens to be the high for April on two occasions. On those occasions, we failed to breakout for a sustained rally, fell back down to the lows, based out, and now we are preparing for our next Q report with some modest short covering support. Today we touched on the first level of resistance ($ 7.32) after having dropped the first thing this morning to the 50-dma which is support. The general market was down, we closed higher, let's see if the general market can firm up so that we can break above $ 7.32/shr and challenge the next level at $ 7.40/shr which is the 200-dma. After that, it is up to the RSI levels to stop us while we wait for news from BlackBerry. GL
    05-31-16 03:30 PM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    A friendly reminder

As Q1 is about to end...
    Reporting Date: June 23, 2016
    CEO Chen is running out of time (credibility?) on BlackBerry smartphone sales and his stated targets for break-even (soon) on this line of business ... He needs to start showing results!! ... PRIV was their flagship phone! .. They decided on Price based on THEIR understanding of the marketplace, demand, and the competition ... those sales did not meet their expectations LAST QUARTER --- and this quarter??? What should we expect?

Investors and the market overall remains skeptical .. hence book value on the stock , so results this coming quarter will impact on credibility, even if all other segments of their business shows growith ... This is the overriding WEAK LINK that all investors associate with the Brand and hence ... the company ...and stock price. BlackBerry need to start showing both INCREASE in REVENUE overall, and profit ... or strong guidance to that effect at least ...
    05-31-16 04:40 PM
    CEO Chen is running out of time (credibility?) on BlackBerry smartphone sales and his stated targets for break-even (soon) on this line of business ... He needs to start showing results!! ... PRIV was their flagship phone! .. They decided on Price based on THEIR understanding of the marketplace, demand, and the competition ... those sales did not meet their expectations LAST QUARTER --- and this quarter??? What should we expect?

Investors and the market overall remains skeptical .. hence book value on the stock , so results this coming quarter will impact on credibility, even if all other segments of their business shows growith ... This is the overriding WEAK LINK that all investors associate with the Brand and hence ... the company ...and stock price. BlackBerry need to start showing both INCREASE in REVENUE overall, and profit ... or strong guidance to that effect at least ...
    But Chen has already admitted very clearly that they shot too high with the Priv. I really wouldn't get your hopes up for a big change in that situation one quarter later. I think the market has priced the phone business at $0 now anyway.

I'm more interested in whether they are on track to deliver 30% organic growth in software. If they can show they are on track there, then I really don't care so much about expected weakness in phone sales. The future of this company is software, so that's still what I'm focused on. If they are tracking to that 30%, then they are in good shape IMO.
    05-31-16 06:14 PM
    OT: The times they are a changin'...?
    Mostly for the comments:
    Dear Apple, Please Make the iPhone Smarter - WSJ
    Mr BBRY and rarsen like this.
    05-31-16 07:07 PM

There is quite a bit of risk in this trade if BBRY goes down significantly, but the trader may be hedged, we don't know, also it is possible it is unwinding of a previous trade as well, but my guess remains what I wrote.

As a side note for anyone interested, www.optionsprofitcalculator.com has free calculators on any type of spread trade you can imagine and uses the current prices. Also checking the intraday bid asks, showed me the calls where at the ask ( and I saw the trade and qoute before the trade executed), and the puts at the bid, again confirming the type of trade that was done.
    Also the trades were a total of 3,600, but looking the intraday trades, you can see lots of 300, 200, 300, 1000, 300, 500, 500, and then 422, and between these there were some odd lots, again all totalling 3,600. The trades went starting at 11:05 EST and took about 10 minutes to complete. You can see the exact same trades at the same second execute on the other leg of the trade, perhaps TMI, but thought those that are new would like to know how this all works. There is so much more, as options are the most complicated strategy out there as many have made riches and others have lost it all!
    Posted on my Priv
    Good trade. He might have sell the same amount of shares at the same time so he has kind of the same exposure without investing all that cash.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-31-16 07:12 PM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Interesting take on why BlackBerry needs to continue to be in the mobile game... In the short term. I agree.

http://snip.ly/50jox#http://seekinga...uilding-phones

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and rarsen like this.
    06-01-16 05:18 AM
    The Pentagon extends and expands its contract with BlackBerry.

News Sources - The Globe and Mail

Posted via CB10
    Still pushing BlackBerry "get out of devices" strategy ?
    I ear a very consistent client here, happy with the BB logo.

Some more (BB press release):
    Pentagon Expands its Threat Response Capability Using BlackBerry's AtHoc Crisis Communications Platform
    Pentagon Force Protection Agency Uses AtHoc to Protect DoD Leadership, Staff, and Visitors in Times of Crisis
    San Mateo, California – May 31, 2016 – BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB), a global leader in secure mobile communications, today announced that the Pentagon Force Protection Agency has awarded a contract to renew and expand its use of BlackBerry's AtHoc Networked Crisis Communications Suite.

Click to Tweet: BlackBerry's AtHoc in expanded use by U.S. Pentagon Security and Police

The Pentagon Force Protection Agency (PFPA) is a civilian agency within the Department of Defense charged with safeguarding the occupants, visitors, and infrastructure of the Pentagon building and sixty-nine other defense installments in the National Capitol Region. This crucial mission is accomplished with officers of the United States Pentagon Police, anti-terrorism and protective services agents, plus threat management agents including chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosives technicians.
    “We are honored by the continued trust in AtHoc by the Pentagon towards protecting its personnel,” said Guy Miasnik, President of BlackBerry’s AtHoc Division. “Their trust in AtHoc reinforces a shared mission for early warning, personnel accountability and cross-organization information sharing during times of crisis.”
    Before implementing AtHoc, important resources inside the Pentagon were not connected to a common messaging and emergency notification network, and the PFPA was unable to effectively communicate directly with organizations outside the Pentagon building during a crisis.
    AtHoc has enabled the PFPA to establish secure alerting and permission-based crisis communications internally and among numerous external organizations that, together, can respond to whatever threats might arise.
    The renewed one-year contract between BlackBerry’s AtHoc and the Pentagon Force Protection Agency includes multi-year options extending through 2020. The agreement includes 37,000 Department of Defense users, including Enterprise Alerting for the Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Offices of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Defense Security Services, and the DoD’s Washington Headquarters Services.
    Edit:

Interesting take on why BlackBerry needs to continue to be in the mobile game... In the short term. I agree.
    http://snip.ly/50jox#http://seekinga...uilding-phones
    Posted via CB10
    Just saw your link after I posted
    Yes I agree and on a marketing angle, I suggest : don't blur the message, target the core business, where $$ are.
    06-01-16 07:05 AM
    OT: IP
    Microsoft sells patents to Xiaomi, builds 'long-term partnership' | Reuters

Software maker Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) is selling about 1,500 of its patents to Chinese device maker Xiaomi [XTC.UL], a rare departure for the U.S. company and part of what the two companies say is the start of a long-term partnership.

[...]

Both companies declined to discuss financial terms of the deal.
    06-01-16 07:27 AM
    Patent issues do seem to be coming back to the forefront again. And BlackBerry does have a corporate office in Texas.....
    ZayDub likes this.
    06-01-16 07:43 AM

Uploaded on May 5, 2016
    Your organization’s shift to pervasive mobility and ultimate productivity is a journey with ever-evolving requirements. As you move through each stage, it’s important you remain in control and have the proper tools to securely grow your enterprise. From full multi-platform EMM to a fully integrated collaboration and communication experience for your mobile employees, BlackBerry offers the perfect tools to help you every step of the way, no matter your size or needs.
    06-01-16 12:19 PM
    Still pushing BlackBerry "get out of devices" strategy ?
    I ear a very consistent client here, happy with the BB logo.

[reference to AtHoc contract renewal at Pentagon...]
    But looking at this another way, doesn't this contract validate the theory that BB can sell software like AtHoc without needing devices at all?
    06-01-16 12:37 PM
    Pure speculation:
    BlackBerry ??????? ? ??????? ???????????? ?????? BlackBerry Priv?
    In Russian.

Title roughly translates to something like "Is BlackBerry preparing to release dual SIM version of BlackBerry Priv?"

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-priv_dual_sim-947x70.png
    rarsen, 3MIKE, morganplus8 and 2 others like this.
    06-01-16 12:45 PM
    OT where people should be increasingly concerned with Security issues as Ransomware in expanding.

Ransomware is working, and the cybercrooks know it | ZDNet
    Indeed, FBI figures suggest that ransomware victims reported costs of $209m in the first quarter of 2016, compared to $24m for all of 2015, demonstrating that the threat is very much on the rise.
    Corbu, W Hoa, morganplus8 and 1 others like this.
    06-01-16 12:46 PM
    Good reading material today gang, thanks and cheers!

Oh yeah, BlackBerry stock is at something?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Corbu, rarsen, W Hoa and 2 others like this.
    06-01-16 01:31 PM
    Pure speculation:
    BlackBerry ??????? ? ??????? ???????????? ?????? BlackBerry Priv?
    In Russian.

Title roughly translates to something like "Is BlackBerry preparing to release dual SIM version of BlackBerry Priv?"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	priv_dual_sim-947x70.png 
Views:	1048 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	401213
    Hopefully it will be available in NA

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    06-01-16 01:43 PM
    Hopefully it will be available in NA

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    Doubtful... dual SIMS are a common feature in many of these developing markets where Carriers don't provide full coverage and roaming is extremely expensive. It was a big issue for some when the Z3 was launched without this pretty common feature, even on $100 phones.

But I don't see those phone models showing up here... other than via a 3d party.
    06-01-16 02:15 PM
    Doubtful... dual SIMS are a common feature in many of these developing markets where Carriers don't provide full coverage and roaming is extremely expensive. It was a big issue for some when the Z3 was launched without this pretty common feature, even on $100 phones.

But I don't see those phone models showing up here... other than via a 3d party.
    Wrong. Samsung S7 is dual SIM and used by many people who have a work/private number. BlackBerry could finally advertise a physical/virtual solution (being Movirtu).

Posted via CB10
    06-01-16 02:49 PM
    Wrong. Samsung S7 is dual SIM and used by many people who have a work/private number. BlackBerry could finally advertise a physical/virtual solution (being Movirtu).

Posted via CB10
    Didn't know the S7 had dual SIMS in the US.... a little surgery and you can use both the 2nd SIM and an SD Card, very cool.

Movirtu... it required Carrier support. Website hasn't been updated in two years.Think BlackBerry bought them for some technology other than virtual SIMS.
    06-01-16 03:09 PM
    Pure speculation:
    In Russian.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	priv_dual_sim-947x70.png 
Views:	1048 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	401213
    Curious...because they have the alleged device originating in Canada and three pieces valued at 15,538 rupees which is the equivalent of 5,179 rupees or, almost exactly.......$100 CAD. When was the last device built in Canada let alone valued at a hunderd dollars? Atleast we have the assurance that it is "dublicate and /not fake/.."

(I would love to be wrong)
    Corbu, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    06-01-16 04:52 PM
    But Chen has already admitted very clearly that they shot too high with the Priv. I really wouldn't get your hopes up for a big change in that situation one quarter later. I think the market has priced the phone business at $0 now anyway.

But yet no major sales or permanent price reductions. Just a few free accessories.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-16 02:53 AM
    For those following BlackBerry's investment in NantHealth:

NantHealth Inc., a biomolecular medicine company that bets on “big data” in the growing field of personalized health care, on Wednesday said its initial public offering of 6.5 million shares would price at $14 each, the midpoint of the previously announced range.

The company’s stock is scheduled to begin trading Thursday on the Nasdaq Global Select
    06-02-16 08:09 AM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    OT: trends... smartphone sales slowing, except india... other forecasts....

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/01/tech...016/index.html

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR, 3MIKE and rarsen like this.
    06-02-16 08:32 AM
    OT: trends... smartphone sales slowing, except india... other forecasts....

Smartphone sales are slowing and other internet predictions from Mary Meeker - Jun. 1, 2016

Posted via CB10
    I remember in the 90's I was buying a new computer every two years to keep up with advances in hardware and software. Got the 2000's and that was no longer necessary. Kinda think the same has happened with smartphones. Will need a big technology change....
    06-02-16 08:53 AM
113,250 ... 39243925392639273928 ...