• No

427 37.82%
    For those of us who have wondered about the financial impact of QNX:
    That is not much. Hopefully it picks up faster

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    05-22-16 10:35 AM
    That is not much. Hopefully it picks up faster

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    I believe that's based on 1 or 2 yr old revenue numbers?

Posted via CB10
    05-22-16 10:45 AM
    Those QNX "estimates" have been mentioned before, here and there. No clear source has ever been given and, unless I am mistaken, BlackBerry has never published this information. So this is pure conjecture, as far as I am concerned. One thing seems to be certain: the numbers are probably much lower than we would like them to be. With luck and if everything goes well, that situation will change in the coming years.
    05-22-16 11:08 AM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Those QNX "estimates" have been mentioned before, here and there. No clear source has ever been given and, unless I am mistaken, BlackBerry has never published this information. So this is pure conjecture, as far as I am concerned. One thing seems to be certain: the numbers are probably much lower than we would like them to be. With luck and if everything goes well, that situation will change in the coming years.
    As mentioned in the Ottawa Citizen article, the market is expected to grow significantly by 2020... the question is how QNX's slice of that market can grow over that period.. by revenue and profits...so as to become a more significant contributor to BlackBerry. Can it be 3x what it was last year, by 2018?

Right now BlackBerry Hardware, and the declining SAF, are still a large component of Blackberry's overall revenue.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-16 11:19 AM
    This may have been posted before, but interesting in any case.
    New patents filed by Blackberry, and several new ones in the past few days with one being a proximity sensor. While most may be minor and filed more for practical reasons, it still shows innovation is alive and well in Waterloo.

Blackberry Limited patents list (updated weekly)
    Corbu, rarsen, 3MIKE and 5 others like this.
    05-22-16 03:37 PM
    This may have been posted before, but interesting in any case.
    New patents filed by Blackberry, and several new ones in the past few days with one being a proximity sensor. While most may be minor and filed more for practical reasons, it still shows innovation is alive and well in Waterloo.

Blackberry Limited patents list (updated weekly)
    People seem to overlook BlackBerry's massive patent portfolio when they value the hardware business at $0. While it's fair to argue that BB10 might be useless to another company (I don't personally agree), you can't fairly argue that their hardware patents and knowledge is worthless.

If Nokia can sell their hardware business for a large sum and then still license their brand, BlackBerry has to be worth significantly more.
    05-22-16 06:27 PM
    OT: Weekend watching.
    The title speaks for itself:
    A rare look at how insider trading works - CBS News
    05-22-16 06:55 PM
    People seem to overlook BlackBerry's massive patent portfolio when they value the hardware business at $0. While it's fair to argue that BB10 might be useless to another company (I don't personally agree), you can't fairly argue that their hardware patents and knowledge is worthless.

If Nokia can sell their hardware business for a large sum and then still license their brand, BlackBerry has to be worth significantly more.
    Unfortunately for BlackBerry, the whole world knows how badly Microsoft overpaid in that Nokia deal, though. If BB wants to sell their hardware business for even more than that, they have to first find a buyer even more desperate than Microsoft was. That's not so easy. Imagine the acquiring executives trying to sell this to their own board. "Hey, so we're going to overpay even more than Microsoft did and probably have to write off even more than the $7B they did! It will be awesome"

People do believe the IP is worth something, otherwise the value of the hardware business wouldn't be zero, it would be *negative*. There is the value of IP, and then there is the cost of outstanding purchase commitments, employment commitments, warranty obligations, channel returns, etc. People are saying the net of all of that is zero, which means they believe the IP has some value.

Now you may say the IP has more value than that, but it's really hard to say until a real buyer shows up with real money to buy the IP.
    05-22-16 07:13 PM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Unfortunately for BlackBerry, the whole world knows how badly Microsoft overpaid in that Nokia deal, though. If BB wants to sell their hardware business for even more than that, they have to first find a buyer even more desperate than Microsoft was. That's not so easy. Imagine the acquiring executives trying to sell this to their own board. "Hey, so we're going to overpay even more than Microsoft did and probably have to write off even more than the $7B they did! It will be awesome"

People do believe the IP is worth something, otherwise the value of the hardware business wouldn't be zero, it would be *negative*. There is the value of IP, and then there is the cost of outstanding purchase commitments, employment commitments, warranty obligations, channel returns, etc. People are saying the net of all of that is zero, which means they believe the IP has some value.

Now you may say the IP has more value than that, but it's really hard to say until a real buyer shows up with real money to buy the IP.
    Under Chen the company has not been "up for sale" so hard to determine value...true market is obsessed with Hardware and declining SAF....

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 and 3MIKE like this.
    05-23-16 08:15 AM
    Spring cleaning time.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/05/...-productivity/

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    rarsen and 3MIKE like this.
    05-23-16 09:23 AM
    What... they don't have any stock photos of BlackBerry phones?

Are some great suggestions for improving performance of any device.
    05-23-16 09:41 AM
    OT: Industry / Apple
    This blogpost has generated quite a few discussions, over the last few days...
    https://marco.org/2016/05/21/avoiding-blackberrys-fate
    05-23-16 10:26 AM
    Very dissapointed with current trading levels / non-activity.

Posted via CB10
    lech31 likes this.
    05-23-16 12:24 PM
    A very short video extract of that interview JC did with TWP.

Well worth watching as the perspective on some things is slightly different than what the edited transcript led us to believe, I feel.

http://wapo.st/1TzBouw

May 20, 2016 2:56 PM EDT - At one point, BlackBerry held a 40 percent share of the smartphone market. But that was before Apple's iPhone. Now, CEO John Chen wants the once-dominant mobile company to focus on security, both in software and devices, in the hopes of ushering in a new era of 'CrackBerry' devotees. (Jorge Ribas / The Washington Post)
    BTW, he says "49%" and not "40%".

In case you missed the original piece in TWP:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...l#post12439790
    05-23-16 01:49 PM
    Wow. This looks like a cell phone security nightmare !!!!

http://www.popsci.com/googles-modula...src=SOC&dom=fb

"Google's modular phone, called Project Ara, will make its way to developers this fall, the company announced at its I/O developer conference last week. And as Ara inches closer to reality, so too does its potential to change all smartphones."

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, 3MIKE, morganplus8 and 1 others like this.
    05-23-16 01:58 PM
    Bullish options traders have been targeting BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) in recent weeks

Bullish Options Traders Take Aim at BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) - Schaeffer's Investment Research
    05-23-16 04:25 PM
    Wow. This looks like a cell phone security nightmare !!!!

http://www.popsci.com/googles-modula...src=SOC&dom=fb

"Google's modular phone, called Project Ara, will make its way to developers this fall, the company announced at its I/O developer conference last week. And as Ara inches closer to reality, so too does its potential to change all smartphones."

Posted via CB10
    I have a feeling that, like apps, as long as you get it from a reputable source, it "should" be reasonably safe. Any desktop pc does essentially the same already.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-16 06:22 PM
    I know it's a bit old of a discussion, but I firmly believe JC couldn't do anything but go Android..

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/23/11...elow-1-percent

Posted via CB10
    rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    05-24-16 03:53 AM
    Some IPO numbers on Nanthealth. Still unclear on what BBRY's involvement, aside from the initial minor investment they put in 2014.

Nant Health, L.A. Billionaire?s Health-Care Firm, Seeks $82 Million in IPO - WSJ
    morganplus8, Corbu and rarsen like this.
    05-24-16 12:21 PM
    AAPL just a few days away from pushing through 100 USD again.. meanwhile BBRY unable to regain a lousy 7 USD. Could end up being the year "too much" for me.. just sell and never look back is starting to sound pretty good imho they should've sold out to the highest bidder year(s) ago. Now, JC has used up every trick in the book and there's nothing left to bargain with.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 12:24 PM
  21. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    AAPL just a few days away from pushing through 100 USD again.. meanwhile BBRY unable to regain a lousy 7 USD. Could end up being the year "too much" for me.. just sell and never look back is starting to sound pretty good imho they should've sold out to the highest bidder year(s) ago. Now, JC has used up every trick in the book and there's nothing left to bargain with.

Posted via CB10
    Feel your pain ... many long time shareholders share it... if you can hold out to year end... may be the turning point...
    ...according to CEO Chen, he is expecting profitability by then, if not sooner ... exiting now IMO is rock bottom...

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 12:58 PM
    october 2016 is the date ... if we refer to OP
    05-24-16 01:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Warren Buffet affect! He also invested in BAC at 7.00 and got out around 10.00 to 14.00 dollar mark. When is a good time to short Apple again? Supporters can't flip flop on the toss of a coin. Long Blackberry and I also support John Chen and his team!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    La Emperor, Corbu, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    05-24-16 01:04 PM
    California Medical Info Day

CALIFORNIA MEDICAL INFO DAY
    Addressing the challenges of medical device innovation, from concept to market

California is a hotbed of medical device activity with world-renowned engineering teams, start-ups and innovative technologies.

Join QNX, a leading technology provider to medical device manufacturers, for the California Medical Info Day on June 21, 2016 in La Jolla, CA. During this full-day session we will address the challenges medical device manufacturers face in taking their innovations from the concept stage, through regulatory approval and to market.

Specific topics to be addressed include:

Medical device cybersecurity
    Medical device connectivity
    Streamlining software integration and certification
    FDA regulations
    rarsen, morganplus8, 3MIKE and 2 others like this.
    05-24-16 02:49 PM
    Short numbers:

5/13/2016 65,363,550
    4/29/2016 66,730,333
    05-24-16 03:06 PM
113,256 ... 39213922392339243925 ...