View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT regarding Security within certain banks seems to still be the Wild West, including SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication). Last February some $81 Billion was wrongly transferred by Central Bank of Bengladesh to the Philippines from the Federal Reserve of New-York. Most recently a commercial bank not identified by SWIFT, whose transfer codes to SWIFT were compromised. Isn't it surprising that Security at this level is not assured, my favorite brand could surely help. And we all would appreciate not having insurance rates increases because of errors by others.

https://www.swift.com/insights/press...ecurity-issues
    Le syst�me de paiement Swift de nouveau la cible de pirates informatiques | International
    Sorry but BlackBerry isn't really involved in this type of security.

Closest thing they have might be the HBox, that might one day could be expanded. But that's more of a private network that is easy to protect. When you must have allow outside access for customers and partners, that opens the door to hackers. Maybe one day BlackBerry will get into firewalls, routers, switches, Server and Desktop software....
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    05-13-16 09:08 AM
    BlackBerry India MD Narendra Nayak's perspective. No real news, though:
    We can provide the most secure Android smartphones: BlackBerry - Times of India

NEW DELHI: When BlackBerry launched its first Android smartphone Priv in India for a whopping Rs 62,990, the market was quick to call it the end of the Canadian smartphone giant. For, most brands these days aim at gaining a competitive edge by lowering prices.

However, BlackBerry defended its pricing claiming 'trusted security and privacy' advantage of its devices.

We interacted with BlackBerry India MD Narendra Nayak on the company's switch to Android platform and how it plans to retain its exclusivity in a market where majority of the smartphones run Android.

Does BlackBerry's shift to Android mean that Android OS is the only hope for smartphone makers?

One of the things BlackBerry decided sometime back was to become an open platform company. On the software front, our offerings are running on all platforms - Samsung Knox, iOS, Windows 10 and BlackBerry itself. We want to bring the same thought process to our devices business too. Obviously, we cannot make an iOS phone. So, it had to be an Android.

Will we see only high-end Android phones from BlackBerry?

Priv is not the end. BlackBerry will continue to focus on high-end smartphones. Like the Priv and Passport, we want to make smartphones keeping the requirements of high-end business users in mind.

Do you think targeting just high-end business users will be enough for BlackBerry's growth?

Going forward, the clear differentiation of business users will narrow down with employees accessing enterprise apps.We will definitely look at bringing smartphones priced lower than the Priv in the time to come. These are likely to be in the mid-range.

If not competitive pricing, what else can BlackBerry do to stay relevant?

BlackBerry devices are for people who value privacy and data security. We can provide the most secure Android smartphones.

So, can BlackBerry instill iOS-like trust in Android?

We haven't tampered with Android much to make it secure. We have just added a BlackBerry security layer over it. Most importantly, we are able to provide app-level security along. We cannot comment on such adjectives, but we are doing what we are actually known for with Android.
    05-13-16 09:10 AM
    So where does everybody stand on HALO. Is this a buying opportunity?
    05-13-16 09:13 AM
    BlackBerry India MD Narendra Nayak's perspective. No real news, though:
    We can provide the most secure Android smartphones: BlackBerry - Times of India
    One of the things BlackBerry decided sometime back was to become an open platform company. On the software front, our offerings are running on all platforms - Samsung Knox, iOS, Windows 10 and BlackBerry itself. We want to bring the same thought process to our devices business too. Obviously, we cannot make an iOS phone. So, it had to be an Android.
    Funny how things change and they want to "spin" it. It had to be Android because they didn't have any choices and couldn't afford their own closed system. Everyone knows this... why not own it, and just move on.

We haven't tampered with Android much to make it secure. We have just added a BlackBerry security layer over it. Most importantly, we are able to provide app-level security along. We cannot comment on such adjectives, but we are doing what we are actually known for with Android.
    They have got to start commenting on just HOW BlackBerry is better than Samsung or HTC... let alone BlackPhone or a KNOX protected device. Maybe they are waiting for some certifications, 3rd party tests, white papers... somthing that says "yes BlackBerry's Android is more secure".
    05-13-16 02:10 PM
    BlackBerry love to go around.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/05/...-fires-appeal/

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    05-13-16 04:02 PM
    FYI : I should mention that a reversal or breakout of the stock occurs at $ 6.64/shr.
    Well, if we are really honest; it didn't.
    05-14-16 03:26 AM
    I wonder how much BlackBerry's forecast of a 30% increase in SW depend on their ability to retain HW - since JC has often referred to it as their entry point. I don't think it would materially impact their SW business for this year. But it could result in lesser growth if they ultimately ditch HW, not just on the EMM front but IoT too. Just look at their renewed emphasis on medical devices and asset tracking over the last few weeks. Pretty sure they can't sell much SW if they're not providing the hardware in some way (think of Nanthealth's Hbox, BlackBerry Radar). This is where they need to be because by the time there's standardization in IoT like there is for smartphone platforms nowadays, most of the market share will have been eaten by much bigger players. And unless BlackBerry wants to gain more from IoT than just revenue from QNX licences, this is where they need to be/stay! We all know that their car platform is superior to Microsoft's, but now I'm hearing that Ford has opted for Microsoft Azure in combination with Sync 3 that is running on QNX? I'm not a techie, so if anyone could explain the why and how then I would really appreciate it. I'll try to look up an actual source later. End of rant

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and Corbu like this.
    05-14-16 05:12 AM
    http://m.mysanantonio.com/business/f...rs-7291448.php

Just to get an idea on all the forces playing in the automotive space. I just hope they all pay hefty fees to QNX

https://blogs.microsoft.com/transfor...fpsf18qyyuez8a

http://www.computerworld.com/article...date-cars.html

Am I right that BlackBerry's solution uses AWS (which was a main contributor to Amazon's beat last quarter btw)? So realistically, could BlackBerry's offering compete with Microsoft Azure?

http://press.blackberry.com/en/press...iences-th.html

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by _dimi_; 05-14-16 at 05:41 AM.
    05-14-16 05:29 AM
    Yesterday I was at an actual caf� A friend - who works at a small architect firm - told me that some of their files were blocked after a colleague had clicked on a link in a dodgy email. Fortunately they had back-ups and 'only' had to pay an IT consultant for 2 (!) days work. One of their partners, less technologically advanced, had the same happen to them and they didn't have back-ups. Almost forgot an important detail: hackers asked for money to unblock those files...

Posted via CB10
    05-14-16 05:55 AM
    I think it was because AAPL was dragging down the entire tech sector. Also, BBRY is becoming more oversold every day.
    05-14-16 07:28 AM
    ... but now I'm hearing that Ford has opted for Microsoft Azure in combination with Sync 3 that is running on QNX? I'm not a techie, so if anyone could explain the why and how then I would really appreciate it. I'll try to look up an actual source later. End of rant
    I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, but I would make a couple of points. I know BB demoed an automotive OTA solution last year, but are any car companies using it yet? Is that system actually in production now?

Also, remember that sync 3 uses QNX, but the upper parts of the stack (apps and UI) are all Ford. It would make sense that Ford would integrate a cloud solution into the portion of the stack that they fully own and control. BlackBerry fans look at sync 3 as a QNX system, but Ford obviously looks at it as a Ford system.

The Microsoft Azure team is very actively winning business right now. Their offering is much better than it was 2 years ago. They still lack many things that AWS offers, but in turn they offer things that Amazon can't or won't also.
    rarsen, _dimi_ and 3MIKE like this.
    05-14-16 08:45 AM
    Thought some might want to read one of Corbu old post from 2014.

"It ain�t over �til it�s over.

Clean as the break with Microsoft is, the legacy of the relationship will live on for years. Ford Sync and MyFord Touch remain in place on legacy vehicles. Microsoft�s ongoing relationship with Ford has shifted to Azure which, in cooperation with Accenture, is working on a cloud platform for content and service delivery to Ford cars.

Microsoft�s original automotive partner Fiat (Blue&Me) is also working with Accenture which has emerged from the ashes of Microsoft�s automotive ambitions as the automotive industry�s newest Tier 1 supplier. Blue&Me�s future looks bleak and Microsoft�s third partner � Kia Motors (Uvo) � is expected to shift to Android.

But, for all of these car makers, their decision to work with Microsoft will linger in cars like an echo of the Big Bang long after the last Microsoft checks have been cashed in Redmond. It�s enough to give any car maker pause to reconsider those Google and Apple vows."
    Last edited by bbjdog; 05-14-16 at 10:19 AM.
    Corbu, rarsen, morganplus8 and 3 others like this.
    05-14-16 10:01 AM
    BlackBerry part of Ontario Premier's Trade Mission to the Middle East
    Wynne's trade mission to Middle East to focus on research, life sciences | CP24.com

BlackBerry, Roots Canada, IBM Canada Ltd., Scotiabank, Thomson Reuters and the Toronto Stock Exchange are also part of the trade mission.

BlackBerry hopes to "raise (its) profile as a software company," [...]
    05-14-16 10:11 AM
    Morgan bud, how about an update on IBB, Halo, Sphs, and Bbry.

Thanks in advance mate!
    05-14-16 10:51 AM
    Well, if we are really honest, you are completely wrong.

Technical Analysis is not something to shy away from, you can ask questions here, or look at a multiple number of Websites to help you understand what happened to BBRY this week. Let's give you a quick lesson on TA for BBRY.

BBRY closed at the high on Tuesday along with the DOW Jones, it rallied on Wednesday making a higher high and a higher low during the day when the DOW Jones reversed and crashed, this is called confirming the breakout. As you can see, the stock pushed through the downtrend line or channel on Tuesday and stayed outside of it for the rest of this week, thus confirming the breakout again.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-may-13-2016.png

It would be helpful if you generated the chart again so that you could acknowledge this move. The stock made yet another higher high on Wednesday at $ 6.80/shr trying to ignore AAPL and the rest of the market. On Friday, the stock dropped back on very light volume as it was clear that AAPL, the broader market, and MOBL all wanted to go lower. What you are left with is a stock that wants to out perform its peers, it wants to go up as soon as the rest of the market can find some footing, and all of this against a DOW Jones that closed well below its 50-dma on Friday. No one expects BlackBerry stock to drag the DOW Jones, Apple, the S&P 500 and the entire EMM sector up on the back of its own strength, that's just plain silly and I'm sure you didn't want to imply that!

What to expect on Monday, if the DOW can find its footing, if AAPL can stop eroding billions of dollars of Fund money and if the general market can stop dropping, BBRY will be higher. Its that simple and you can learn this be doing some homework or simply asking the right questions on this thread. GL

PS. Yes, SPHS is a screaming buy, so is HALO and others, the market is getting pushed around right now without a defined direction so you have to know that daily trading of your favourite stocks is subject to wild swings that have nothing to do with their personal valuations. Best of luck.
    05-14-16 11:55 AM
    Awesome post as usual. Thanks Morgan!
    05-14-16 12:45 PM
    Awesome post as usual. Thanks Morgan!
    I second that Corbu!

I always thought the market goes in one direction and the stocks go in the opposite direction, guess I have to head back to school (monkey school) and learn about investing 101. Corbu, Morgan, CJ, Rarsen, and others thanks for everything.!

Last edited by bbjdog; 05-14-16 at 02:00 PM.
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    05-14-16 01:00 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20160514_153015.jpg

Well, it came today!

EPP Open Box deal. $500 unlocked

Going to see how the transition from my PP goes

Excited!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-16 02:33 PM
    From another thread

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ss7-a...s-503894.shtml

Known exploit gives account access to supposedly encryped WhatsApp and Telegram.

Anyone know if this exploit applies to bbm protected?

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king and masterful like this.
    05-14-16 04:11 PM
    I can't see how BBM protected would be affected by this. How could someone impersonate a BBM protected user by intercepting their SMS messages?

The vulnerability here for WA is that WA uses SMS as part of its key exchange.
    rarsen and anon(4086547) like this.
    05-14-16 04:19 PM
    Ah gotcha. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-16 04:51 PM
    From another thread

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ss7-a...s-503894.shtml

Known exploit gives account access to supposedly encryped WhatsApp and Telegram.

Posted via CB10
    Phone number to phone number vs pin to pin.

"Spy agencies like the NSA and many others aren�t the only ones able to bug your calls and text messages, a new investigation shows. It turns out that anyone with the right equipment and know-how*can tap into a carrier�s phone network to access calls and text messages for without the target�s knowledge.

Anyone with access to a carrier�s phone network would be able to intercept phone calls and text messages, record them, and reroute them to their original*destinations, without the cell phone user*knowing what�s happening.

The key takeaway from the report is that you need to get access to the SS7 portals in order to actually take advantage of the bug, which might be a tough job for regular people. SS7 portals route calls between mobile operators, allowing phones to roam from one country to another."

05-14-16 06:44 PM
    Sorry but BlackBerry isn't really involved in this type of security.

Closest thing they have might be the HBox, that might one day could be expanded. But that's more of a private network that is easy to protect. When you must have allow outside access for customers and partners, that opens the door to hackers. Maybe one day BlackBerry will get into firewalls, routers, switches, Server and Desktop software....
    You're probably right, but in the one case I don't think anyone knows how the perps in Phillipines got ahold of the Bangladeshi Central Bank transfer codes from the NY Fed Reserve Bank, nor are they ever likely to let anyone know. And they might have gotten away with it a little longer if they knew how to spell properly, lol.

Definitely a reason to question overall security priorities in general, though...makes you shake your head at such astounding events.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DaSchwantz; 05-15-16 at 09:24 AM.
    05-15-16 08:26 AM
    Update on 13F holdings.

I will update this with new holdings as they get posted..............

First thanks to Corbu for the Primecap update, with the current holding, they are at nearly 15% and that is of a declining total outstanding share count due to the buybacks, offset somewhat by share issuance for executives and JC later this year.
    The funds they own it in include the odyssey aggressive growth fund and they also manage them for vanguard. BBRY appears in the top 10 holdings.

What is interesting is the debt has traded hands recently, with 65M nominal amount now owned by Manulife, as well as Canso increasing their position from 300M (original investor alongside Farifax at 500M, and Mckenzie at 200M, Qatar at 100M, and Brookfield at 50M, and Markel at 100M as well) to 368M. in effect this looks like Markel sold alongside either Brookfield and or Qatar. Only Canso reports their position. Since the debt is most likely to be paid off this year the ytc (yield to call) may still be attractive relative to current interest rates. However, BBRY ability to swap this high rate, potentially dilutive debt for longer term debt, similar to Apple's debt at a small spread to 10 to 20 year US treasuries of 44 basis points (about 2.39% currently and maturing in 2023) if needed for acquisitions will be a huge benefit as the current expense of 75M is nearly 15 cents a share.

I expect them (and confirmed with a recent call with mgmt) to retire ALL of the debt in November, and they will SWAP this with cheaper debt as the credit profile of BBRY has improved dramatically even though the share price may have not (still at same price JC took over!) and JC has said he would like to see the cash around 2.5B or so at the earnings call in late 2015. So my thoughts are to retire about 250M permanently (as this amount was the add on amount Watsa's fairfax did in 2014) and swap the remaining or about 1B for longer term cheaper debt. They believe debt on a balance sheet is a good thing, and I agree there but at a much lower borrowing cost, kind of like folks refinancing their mortgage to take advantage of low rates.While BBRY will not get the same spread as Apple, it will be much lower and not dilutive to shareholders.
    One other point is I have not seen or heard any of the analysts discussing this, and the one I contacted thought they would not buy back much of the debt as the interest cost was not that much! Another reason why I think the rest of the year could have some positive surprises, but patience is needed as it likely gets worse before getting better, hence the recent replacement of the handset exec.

In addition, their was some large funds closing out put contracts as well as a noticeable increase in call buyers, as with the lower volatility, the longer term options are quite cheap.
    Thanks for this Kadakn. Regarding a debt swap, I think you're in the right ballpark,but I think there might also be some sort of restricted share issuance negotiated at the same time for a couple hundred million in total $ value so that some of the convert holders can more easily take /maintain an equity ownership (and control) position on the company - mainly Fairfax, but possibly one or two others as well.

If so, this extra cash could essentially be used for increased share repurchases on the open market to keep overall dilution relatively neutral, and essentially put a floor under the share price, no matter how grim the picture on hardware looks. The market is actually attributing a negative sp value to hardware already, so as long as it doesn't drag down cash flows, I don't think there are any huge downside risks to the stock. It would, however, be another drag on the revenue picture which would hamper the upside in the near term.

If people are buying options right now, you should pay for time, because it's getting more affordable. Me, I've just been buying shares again...may look at the calls again shortly as we approach the fall. Analysts seem to be clueless to this whole aspect, even though Chen has already told them it's going to happen.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 09:21 AM
    Today is the 13F-filing deadline? Buffett took a 1 billion dollar stake in AAPL.. imagine what a 1 billion dollar stake would do for BBRY :-)

Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 07:01 AM
113,256 ... 39163917391839193920 ...