1,502 https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=666490&s=&a" /> The BBRY Café. [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!] - Page 3917 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Sphs just broke $1....

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 02:25 PM
    Sooo.. let's assume again that MOBL is for sale. Would you rather have 'Airwatch' (VMware) or 'XenMobile' (Citrix) merge with MobileIron, or would you think that it jeopardizes BlackBerry's position in the market? First of, BlackBerry currently is the leader in EMM. However, that's just for the regulated industries. Good has given them a point of entry in the regular industries now, but VMware and Citrix seem to be doing a pretty good job. Heck, just compare websites. Honestly, if I were a potential customer looking for a MDM/EMM solution, BlackBerry would not be on my radar. Good probably would be, but how darn difficult can it be to make an attractive website that instead of confusing a potential customer, has them sign up for a trial instead. So, back on topic, buy or lose them to a competitor?

Posted via CB10
    Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    05-11-16 02:27 PM
    Rough day for the bio sector. The IBB and XBI were both heading down all day with a big acceleration in the afternoon. What a sector.

As for BBRY, although down, it held up well in a horrible market for the day.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, abouthsu, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    05-11-16 03:05 PM
    Sooo.. let's assume again that MOBL is for sale. Would you rather have 'Airwatch' (VMware) or 'XenMobile' (Citrix) merge with MobileIron, or would you think that it jeopardizes BlackBerry's position in the market? First of, BlackBerry currently is the leader in EMM. However, that's just for the regulated industries. Good has given them a point of entry in the regular industries now, but VMware and Citrix seem to be doing a pretty good job. Heck, just compare websites. Honestly, if I were a potential customer looking for a MDM/EMM solution, BlackBerry would not be on my radar. Good probably would be, but how darn difficult can it be to make an attractive website that instead of confusing a potential customer, has them sign up for a trial instead. So, back on topic, buy or lose them to a competitor?

Posted via CB10
    Don't think buying them really gains BlackBerry enough to justify the expense. Chen needs more diversification or boarding of their offerings. Half of the US business market is considered Small Business... many of which once relied on BlackBerry along with BES or BESX. I see many of these customers are now using Google for Business or Microsoft - Documents, Hosted Email, Cloud Storage and Mobile Device Management. You can set it up in a few minutes.... not sure why but BlackBerry seem to be ignoring that "niche". They have most of the components... just needs to be offered in a easy to access and use interface at a competitive price point.

Anyway seeing another EMM take MobileIron's customer base along with the company's experience and patents.. wouldn't be good either.
    05-11-16 03:12 PM
    Sophiris Bio Inc. Announces Closing of Public Offering of $5,000,000
    2016-05-11 04:01:00 PM ET (PR Newswire)
    Sophiris Bio Inc. (Nasdaq: SPHS) today announced that it closed its previously announced public offering of common stock and warrants at $1.40 per share for gross proceeds of $5,000,000.

Roth Capital Partners served as sole placement agent. After the placement agent fees and estimated offering expenses payable by the company, the company expects to receive net proceeds of approximately $4,600,000.

The Company intends to use the net proceeds from the offering for general corporate purposes and to service its outstanding debt owing under a secured promissory note.

The shares described above were offered by Sophiris pursuant to a registration statement previously filed with and subsequently declared effective by the Securities and Exchange Commission. A prospectus supplement relating to the offering has been filed with the SEC and is available on the SEC's website at http://www.sec.gov.

This press release shall not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy any of the securities described herein, nor shall there be any sale of these securities in any state or jurisdiction in which such offer, solicitation or sale would be unlawful prior to registration or qualification under the securities laws of any such state or jurisdiction. Copies of the final prospectus supplement and accompanying base prospectus relating to this offering may be obtained from Roth Capital Partners, 888 San Clemente Drive, Suite 400, Newport Beach, CA 92660, (800) 678-9147 or by accessing the SEC's website, www.sec.gov.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Corbu, rarsen, cjcampbell and 4 others like this.
    05-11-16 03:25 PM
    Half of the US business market is considered Small Business... many of which once relied on BlackBerry along with BES or BESX. I see many of these customers are now using Google for Business or Microsoft - Documents, Hosted Email, Cloud Storage and Mobile Device Management. You can set it up in a few minutes.... not sure why but BlackBerry seem to be ignoring that "niche".
    Because They. Won't. Pay. If a company is that small, it is highly doubtful that they're interested in any of the security or management features offered by a true EMM solution. Mobile access to email, calendar and contacts is all you need, maybe SMS and MMS

After Microsoft licensed ActiveSync (around 2007), mobile email/PIM access became commoditized so all you needed is a cloud hosting service like Google or Microsoft.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    05-11-16 04:26 PM
    I see many of these customers are now using Google for Business or Microsoft - Documents, Hosted Email, Cloud Storage and Mobile Device Management. You can set it up in a few minutes.... not sure why but BlackBerry seem to be ignoring that "niche". They have most of the components... just needs to be offered in a easy to access and use interface at a competitive price point.
    If a company is that small, it is highly doubtful that they're interested in any of the security or management features offered by a true EMM solution
    We all set high expectations on BES Cloud, but the offering seems to be a bit confuse and late to be advertised.
    I believe they want to offer the full range of services and complete integration but still they have a nice entry price level ( under $5/month/user if I remind correctly) and it could be a winner once linked to MS Azure / O365 ... it's not only about security, convenience is also a key. And those players massively rely on MS tools and services.

--- unrelated ---
    P.S: guys, remember there's *also* http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...on-853728-new/ thread (where you'll find familiar faces !) to discuss *in deep* other sectors' stocks. Let's keep "once in a while" significant [suggestion: post there your first post and quote/link here ?]
    rarsen, CDM76 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    05-11-16 05:08 PM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I think that BlackBerry has got a strong customer base, including governments, banks, legal firms, and a few of us diehard fans. They just need to make it wider. Chen now says he needs 3 million phones sold to make handsets viable, which is doable IMO.
    Doable? .... really? Wishful thinking at best.. 600k phones last reported quarter, a decline of 14 percent from the prior quarter.... and that was as they launched their "flagship" android phone .

Assuming they "improve" on the rate of decline to 10 percent decline in phones sold per quarter.. that results in 2m phones sold over the next 12 months

... can they be profitable at 2 million phones sold? ...In fact, they should be modeling profitability at a 1.5 million sold threshold.... more realistic given the past trends..and selling mostly existing phones, as who really knows when new models will be out....

... can they be profitable at that level?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 05-11-16 at 05:27 PM.
    Intrestor and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    05-11-16 05:15 PM
    Doable? .... really? Wishful thinking at best.. 600k phones last reported quarter, a decline of 14 percent from the prior quarter.... and that was as they launched their "flagship" android phone .

Assuming they "improve" on the rate of decline to 10 percent decline in phones sold per quarter.. that results in 2m phones sold over the next 12 months

... can they be profitable at 2 million phones sold? ...In fact, they should be modeling profitability at a 1.5 million sold threshold.... more realistic given the past trends..and selling mostly existing phones, as who really knows when new models will be out....

... can they be profitable at that level?

Posted via CB10
    Here's how this plays out. They say they are still in the hardware business and they will launch the 'cheaper' (slab no PBK) phone first and it's intended for Guvs. Either they get enough traction to be profitable or they don't. If they don't they eat away at more of their purchase obligations. Not sure if it's cheaper / better for the bottom line and the stock... to bail after launching and running down some purchase obligations (but there is expense to launch) or just quit hardware now....I'm assuming the former.

Did they license Hub to Samsung to use on their Note 6 (and all future Sammy devices)? Something like Hub is rumored to launch with the Note 6. If they didn't license it to Samsung they better get their Experience Suite in the Play Store NOW because with it will be a differentiator for consumers to purchase a mid range blackberry.
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    05-11-16 07:19 PM
    Wow, that sure is the lowest number I've seen in a long time

I wonder if it's simply because more people actually are believing in the turn around and the fact that we are pretty much trading at book value, so why bother shorting.

Those damn shorts have made a mint, that's for sure. I would be happy to see them go away and let BlackBerry chip away at their plans.

Posted via CB10
    It's probably a follow-up to Chen's comments about buying back the converts, as holders unwind their hedges.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    05-11-16 08:15 PM
    05-12-16 08:11 AM
    QNX:
    In German.
    Exklusiv-Interview mit Matthias Stumpf, QNX - all-electronics.de
    Exclusive interview with Matthias Stumpf, QNX
    05-12-16 08:11 AM
    Damn...thinking about liquidating my Amaya position and buying halo..

It follow TA perfectly, went overbought, IBB started taking a down turn and now it's oversold, repeating cycle?

Posted via CB10
    05-12-16 08:56 AM
    05-12-16 10:11 AM
    Pretty bad AAPL sell-off with some of the highest volume I've seen other than during ERs. Volume is approaching the normal for the whole day. They've sunk to the $80's.
    Jahcure likes this.
    05-12-16 10:19 AM
    Pretty bad AAPL sell-off with some of the highest volume I've seen other than during ERs. Volume is approaching the normal for the whole day. They've sunk to the $80's.

According to Barclays analyst Mark Moskowitz, supply chain murmurs indicate that the iPhone 7 won't have "any must-have form factor changes," suggesting that we'll see only a few modest refinements and perhaps some newer internal components. Thus the reason to upgrade will be lower, and as the market for high end devcies has reached a saturation point in many markets.... The whole sector is becoming afraid, suppliers and manufacturers of components are talking about large cuts from last year. And not just from Apple, only the cheap products are seeing growth in sales, but there is very little money in those. Many of these factories used those to fill in the gaps between the flagship orders. They aren't capable of supporting some of the suppliers or builders.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 05-12-16 at 02:41 PM. Reason: realized my remark was a little inflammatory
    techvisor and anon(4086547) like this.
    05-12-16 10:57 AM
    [warn]I've noticed a few links in posts with no commenting. Just a reminder there needs to be a comment included with links, make sure that happens going forward.[/warn]
    05-12-16 12:14 PM
    [WARN]Discuss the topic(s) and not other members. [/WARN]
    05-12-16 02:31 PM
    BlackBerry's Android security survey blatantly promos PRIV | CIO

Someone picked up BlackBerry's blog that Corbu posted a link too earlier today....

In other words, BlackBerry thinks Android users aren't paying as much attention to security and privacy as they should.
    He had some nice, and not so nice things to say about BlackBerry...

He also linked to a review he did on the PRIV back in December after he used it for a month.
    PRIV is the best, and most capable, BlackBerry smartphone ever. It features top-of-the-line technical specifications. I love the BlackBerry Hub. The Android experience is similar to Google's stock Android, because BlackBerry didn't try to dress it up too much, and that's a very good thing.
    So have to say he seems to be on BlackBerry's side.
    05-12-16 03:51 PM
    Bbry closed at something!

Sophiris Bio Engages Oppenheimer & Co. to Advise on Strategic Opportunities
    2016-05-12 04:01:00 PM ET (PR Newswire)
    Sophiris Bio Inc. (NASDAQ: SPHS) (the "Company" or "Sophiris"), a biopharmaceutical company developing topsalysin (PRX302) for the treatment of urological diseases, today announced that it has engaged Oppenheimer & Co. Inc. as its financial advisor to assist with evaluation of strategic alternatives to advance the development of topsalysin and enhance shareholder value, including potential partnering arrangements, financings or a strategic transaction.

"Our Phase 3 BPH clinical trial met its primary endpoint and the initial data from our Phase 2a proof of concept trial in localized prostate cancer was encouraging, both of which create attractive strategic opportunities for moving the programs and the company forward," said Randall E. Woods, President and CEO of Sophiris. "Data from all 18 patients treated with topsalysin in the Phase 2a prostate cancer study is still expected this quarter. With the totality of the topsalysin data, Oppenheimer's experience advising companies in our field will be immensely valuable as we evaluate strategic alternatives to maximize opportunities from our topsalysin programs."

The Company does not intend to make any further disclosures regarding these matters until its board of directors approves a specific action or otherwise concludes its review of strategic alternatives.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    05-12-16 04:10 PM
    05-12-16 06:49 PM
    According to this source, Primecap Management has increased its stake in BBRY:
    BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) Position Up in Latest Report from Primecap Management Co/ca/

Primecap Management Co/ca/ says it raised its stake in BlackBerry Limited by 1.8% as reported in a filing on 05/12/2016. Its stake was worth $615,632,000 a decrease of $77,826,000 as of quarter end.
    They are the largest institutional holders in BBRY.
    05-12-16 07:21 PM
    [info]
    Dear regulars and visitors,
    As you may have noticed, our long lasting thread has been renamed.
    This happened in order to adapt the title to the current situation and offer a wider scope to our discussions.

While we still encourage contributors to focus on BBRY related news, we understand that regulars may want to discuss peripheral news (i.e "markets" in general or BlackBerry to the largest extend) and add some friendly chat here and there.

So, please feel comfortable in our new caf�: sit back, relax, enjoy the place and remember it's aimed to be a friendly place where controversial arguments can be exposed and discussed in a peaceful manner. As in real life, �le taulier� (OP) will try to keep the place welcoming but derails will be handled by the stewards (mod team): general Community Rules and Guidelines still apply.

We sincerely hope all parties will be satisfied with this new approach,
    Thanks for being part of the CrackBerry heart !

The mod team

[/info]

This is one of the longest running threads in the Forums, and Forum Managent and the Mod Team recognize its value and the ongoing commitment of the OP (SF) and the regulars who have contributed so much to to it over the years. The recent changes that SF noted above were intended expand the scope of the thread from discussion of BBRY only, and to reduce what might otherwise have to be addressed as "off-topic".

That said, this thread is still part of the Forums and Mods are obligated to do our best to see that the thread flows within the Community Rules and Guidelines that we all agreed to upon joining the Forums as members. We would prefer to moderate here as little as possible, but have to step in when required.

While the regulars are the backbone of the thread, it must be accepted that this is not a private thread and other members are entitled to participate and should not be made to feel unwelcome. There will always be dissenting opinions. Differing viewpoints should always be discussed or debated without getting personal or belittling another poster. Reports about posts being "trolling" or "insulting" simply because they offer an unpopular opinion will not be well received. And if someone has an issue with a Mod's actions, that should be taken to PM, not posted within the thread. Contact the Mod directly, contact the Mod Team Leader (pkcable) or the Forums Manager (James Falconer).

Frankly, the change was expected by SF and the Mod Team to be well received by the thread participants. Can we please hold criticism until the wider scope of the thread is given a fair chance?

John/Ecm
    05-12-16 07:50 PM
    Update on 13F holdings.

I will update this with new holdings as they get posted..............

First thanks to Corbu for the Primecap update, with the current holding, they are at nearly 15% and that is of a declining total outstanding share count due to the buybacks, offset somewhat by share issuance for executives and JC later this year.
    The funds they own it in include the odyssey aggressive growth fund and they also manage them for vanguard. BBRY appears in the top 10 holdings.

What is interesting is the debt has traded hands recently, with 65M nominal amount now owned by Manulife, as well as Canso increasing their position from 300M (original investor alongside Farifax at 500M, and Mckenzie at 200M, Qatar at 100M, and Brookfield at 50M, and Markel at 100M as well) to 368M. in effect this looks like Markel sold alongside either Brookfield and or Qatar. Only Canso reports their position. Since the debt is most likely to be paid off this year the ytc (yield to call) may still be attractive relative to current interest rates. However, BBRY ability to swap this high rate, potentially dilutive debt for longer term debt, similar to Apple's debt at a small spread to 10 to 20 year US treasuries of 44 basis points (about 2.39% currently and maturing in 2023) if needed for acquisitions will be a huge benefit as the current expense of 75M is nearly 15 cents a share.

I expect them (and confirmed with a recent call with mgmt) to retire ALL of the debt in November, and they will SWAP this with cheaper debt as the credit profile of BBRY has improved dramatically even though the share price may have not (still at same price JC took over!) and JC has said he would like to see the cash around 2.5B or so at the earnings call in late 2015. So my thoughts are to retire about 250M permanently (as this amount was the add on amount Watsa's fairfax did in 2014) and swap the remaining or about 1B for longer term cheaper debt. They believe debt on a balance sheet is a good thing, and I agree there but at a much lower borrowing cost, kind of like folks refinancing their mortgage to take advantage of low rates.While BBRY will not get the same spread as Apple, it will be much lower and not dilutive to shareholders.
    One other point is I have not seen or heard any of the analysts discussing this, and the one I contacted thought they would not buy back much of the debt as the interest cost was not that much! Another reason why I think the rest of the year could have some positive surprises, but patience is needed as it likely gets worse before getting better, hence the recent replacement of the handset exec.

In addition, their was some large funds closing out put contracts as well as a noticeable increase in call buyers, as with the lower volatility, the longer term options are quite cheap.
    Last edited by kadakn01; 05-13-16 at 11:20 AM.
    05-13-16 12:42 AM
    OT regarding Security within certain banks seems to still be the Wild West, including SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication). Last February some $81 Billion was wrongly transferred by Central Bank of Bengladesh to the Philippines from the Federal Reserve of New-York. Most recently a commercial bank not identified by SWIFT, whose transfer codes to SWIFT were compromised. Isn't it surprising that Security at this level is not assured, my favorite brand could surely help. And we all would appreciate not having insurance rates increases because of errors by others.

https://www.swift.com/insights/press...ecurity-issues
    Le syst�me de paiement Swift de nouveau la cible de pirates informatiques | International
    CDM76, Corbu, Mr BBRY and 4 others like this.
    05-13-16 08:08 AM
113,256 ... 39153916391739183919 ...