1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
  1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    04-28-16 09:14 AM
    It's all down hill from here bud lol...
    I think you're right, smartphones are quickly becoming commoditized. It will be interesting to see if Apple has a next big thing. Until then, this is a long slow ramp down, I think. Same lesson for BBRY, the tech industry moves (and moves on) very quickly.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and 3MIKE like this.
    04-28-16 09:44 AM
    IPPro The Internet | Patents news | Blackberry destroys two patents by troll under ALICE | ipprotheinternet.com

Blackberry has nixed two email patents asserted by a patent troll, after a Texas court sided with the mobile company, and deemed the patents as abstract under Alice.

Judge Barbara Lynn of the US District Court for the Northern District of Texas, held in a bench ruling on 27 April that two patents asserted by Mobile Telecommunications Technologies (MTEL) are invalid for pertaining to abstract matter.

MTEL sued Research in Motion in 2012, alleging that it infringed on five of its patents, including two patents concerning email technology through its Blackberry server.

MTEL sought an injunction against Blackberry’s “continued use” of the technologies, and pay an enhanced damages fee including its attorneys’ fees.

Under the Supreme Court’s 2014 Alice decision, patent claims that concern abstract matter are not patent-eligible.

RIM sought to prove that the patents asserted by MTEL were abstract under the Alice decision.

Judge Lynn sided with Blackberry on Wednesday.

Cases are still pending against Microsoft, Google and which MTEL accused of infringing the same patents.
    rarsen, morganplus8, CDM76 and 5 others like this.
    04-28-16 11:49 AM
    BBM for Android updated to include BBM video chat in beta | CrackBerry.com

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/04/...anada-and-u-s/
    BBM Video Comes to Android Users in Canada and U.S.

Please note we’re initially limiting availability because this is the first time we’re launching BBM Video calling, and we want to monitor performance, gather feedback, and iron out any kinks that may arise before we roll it out globally.
    Last edited by Corbu; 04-28-16 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added INSIDE Blackberry piece
    04-28-16 12:12 PM
    MOBL reporting results AH.. stay tuned

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    04-28-16 12:19 PM
    QNX love

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/02/...ld-conference/

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    04-28-16 12:25 PM
    This is fantastic news. Bbm video for android!
    I'm not sure it's cross platform yet, but great start

If they can nail the BlackBerry Hub on android, then the priv is looking like it might be my next phone, especially with all the great pricing lately.

I like the looks of a $400 unlocked priv. It's easier to do that and sell than create new mid price mid tier phones

The priv is basically still new since no one really know about it yet

Posted via CB10
    04-28-16 01:25 PM
    This is fantastic news. Bbm video for android!
    I'm not sure it's cross platform yet, but great start

If they can nail the BlackBerry Hub on android, then the priv is looking like it might be my next phone, especially with all the great pricing lately.

I like the looks of a $400 unlocked priv. It's easier to do that and sell than create new mid price mid tier phones

The priv is basically still new since no one really know about it yet

Posted via CB10
    Problem is its on sale dirt cheap in USA but still $900 in Canada.

I wish I was in a position to jump the border to pick one up. If can sell for $400 in USA then can sell for $500 CDN.

And I agree, lower price and sell them !!!! No need for new pkb device. I also think should create a version with no slide out keyboard, saving $$$, and sell it as a slab for even less.

Ah. A guy can dream

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    04-28-16 01:43 PM
    I also think should create a version with no slide out keyboard, saving $$$, and sell it as a slab for even less.
    It seems that is coming:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...l#post12407237
    3MIKE and CDM76 like this.
    04-28-16 02:05 PM
    It's amazing how one man and one stock can so heavily impact the whole market across sectors.

Carl Icahn announced today that he dumped his position in AAPL. From that moment on, you can see a cascading waterfall sell off everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, rarsen, morganplus8 and 5 others like this.
    04-28-16 02:35 PM
    It's amazing how one man and one stock can so heavily impact the whole market across sectors.

Carl Icahn announced today that he dumped his position in AAPL. From that moment on, you can see a cascading waterfall sell off everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    OT from the Related Technologies as some doubts on Apple seeking added market share in China and India
    Apple: Don't Count On India - Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) | Seeking Alpha.

And Carl Icahn at the end of the fourth quarter owned a nearly $5 billion stake in AAPL, loosing faith in that investment makes for a changing market share among the other brand names. Cheering for my favorite which you might of guessed is not the Apple.
    Icahn No Longer Has Apple Stake, Cites China Concerns -CNBC - NASDAQ.com
    04-28-16 02:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    No surprise he got the heck out of Apple. It is a mess, they increased spend on their share buyback, increased the dividend and reduced guidance for the next Q by a whopping $ 6.4 Billion bucks! Then they launch a phone that is over $ 300 ASP less than the phone they need to sell to support their business! Just what every investor wants to hear, crashing sales of an outdated hardware division and no clue as to how they can turn around the sinking ship. As they dump cash, the stock will sink much lower from here. Exit stage right.

BlackBerry looks good in here, we aren't part of the collapse in Apple so we just have to hang in there until AAPL hits rock bottom.
    rarsen, cjcampbell, Corbu and 9 others like this.
    04-28-16 02:48 PM
    MOBL light on revenue (about 1m from analyst estimate but 2m below thier guidance of 40M) and eps in line, trading down ah, will update this post after cc, and if any mention of BBRY, see CEO comment below

"Our first fiscal quarter saw challenges which I attribute to a tougher overall environment and company execution,� said Barry Mainz, CEO, MobileIron. "It is clear to me that MobileIron is a business that has under performed its potential. I believe there are a number of changes we can make over the next 12 months that should accelerate the business and financial performance of the company."

Comments from call........
    Barry said Microsoft not part of their solutions but apple is and he was not nice in his comments on MSFT, also feedback from his roadtrip was some positive and some negative with what they can do better.
    No visibility in back half of year, it is a difficult environment, they are cutting expenses to meet eps goals. He is not giving guidance for that reason after this next quarter. He is disappointed overall and blamed some on prior management
    Cash down 3.8M from last quarter, is targeting (from cutting expenses) neutral cash flow at end of year

Call just ended and that was some serious tension on the Q&A! the Goldman Sachs analyst called out the company for saying the pipeline is growing yet they are pulling thier guidance for the full year. Analogy was that pipeline can keep growing like they said but if the closing rate is not increasing than who cares? They answered they are seeing some larger potential deals but don't really know about closing rate because he was not here last year!
    She said (GS analyst) that if that is the case that they still think they can close deals, why not keep annual guidance and pull next quarter instead of other way around and then hung up!
    the MSFT comment I made earlier was that they said they are seeing MSFT more in competitive deals but that their offering is more broad and thus companies tend to choose them even though they are obviously way more expensive, but I would say that their guidance does not show this

my thoughts are: While they may infact have larger potential deals (a large company comes to mind where they have a free trial for past 8 months) they are offering many free trials that have been going on for many months and those companies don't feel compelled to do anything because thier employees are getting the SW for free! many of them already pay for another provider like GOOD or are getting inundated from a MSFT, etc and most are quite happy, thus thier guidance for neutral cash flow in a year, yet negative margins were maintained of - 8%. This is mostly cutting costs and nothing more as revenue for next month is flat year over year.
    I believe Chen saw all of this a while back based on his comments and choose to work more closely with MSFT rather than compete against (they still may similar to Samsung KNOX) them as well as diversify into ADHOC, etc, and reamain in HW, albeit in a limited capacity. as Gretzky says, skate to where the puck is headed, and Chen is doing just that.

Also I have a call into a the company regarding some of my thoughts and will update when/if I hear back!
    Last edited by kadakn01; 04-28-16 at 04:51 PM.
    04-28-16 03:23 PM
    Attachment 398230

Oh man, oh man, oh man, oh man...

You gotta like natural evolution.
    I promised (to myself) that I'll take a serious break this week.
    I like to see these logos together. Maybe they've grown up enough...
    Sounds like great times ahead !

Cheers all, had my 'can't take my eyes off of you' moment, but back in rehab' !!!

P.S /edit : on CB10, we broke the 5K pages mark AND the 100K posts one : Congratulations ya'll!
    Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen, 3MIKE and 1 others like this.
    04-28-16 03:43 PM
    MOBL light on revenue (about 1m from analyst estimate but 2m below thier guidance of 40M) and eps in line, trading down ah, will update this post after cc, and if any mention of BBRY, see CEO comment below

"Our first fiscal quarter saw challenges which I attribute to a tougher overall environment and company execution,” said Barry Mainz, CEO, MobileIron. "It is clear to me that MobileIron is a business that has under performed its potential. I believe there are a number of changes we can make over the next 12 months that should accelerate the business and financial performance of the company."

Comments from call........
    Barry said Microsoft not part of their solutions but apple is and he was not nice in his comments on MSFT, also feedback from his roadtrip was some positive and some negative with what they can do better.
    No visibility in back half of year, it is a difficult environment, they are cutting expenses to meet eps goals. He is not giving guidance for that reason after this next quarter. He is disappointed overall and blamed some on prior management
    Cash down 3.8M from last quarter, is targeting (from cutting expenses) neutral cash flow at end of year

Call just ended and that was some serious tension on the Q&A! the Goldman Sachs analyst called out the company for saying the pipeline is growing yet they are pulling thier guidance for the full year. Analogy was that pipeline can keep growing like they said but if the closing rate is not increasing than who cares? They answered they are seeing some larger potential deals but don't really know about closing rate because he was not here last year!
    She said (GS analyst) that if that is the case that they still think they can close deals, why not keep annual guidance and pull next quarter instead of other way around and then hung up!
    the MSFT comment I made earlier was that they said they are seeing MSFT more in competitive deals but that their offering is more broad and thus companies tend to choose them even though they are obviously way more expensive, but I would say that their guidance does not show this

my thoughts are: While they may infact have larger potential deals (a large company comes to mind where they have a free trial for past 8 months) they are offering many free trials that have been going on for many months and those companies don't feel compelled to do anything because thier employees are getting the SW for free! many of them already pay for another provider like GOOD or are getting inundated from a MSFT, etc and most are quite happy, thus thier guidance for neutral cash flow in a year, yet negative margins were maintained of - 8%. This is mostly cutting costs and nothing more as revenue for next month is flat year over year.
    I believe Chen saw all of this a while back based on his comments and choose to work more closely with MSFT rather than compete against (they still may similar to Samsung KNOX) them as well as diversify into ADHOC, etc, and reamain in HW, albeit in a limited capacity. as Gretzky says, skate to where the puck is headed, and Chen is doing just that.

Also I have a call into a the company regarding some of my thoughts and will update when/if I hear back!
    Great analysis! There is nothing in that Q that would inspire John Chen to have a look at it. Well done.
    rarsen, 3MIKE, OlympusMons and 5 others like this.
    04-28-16 04:56 PM
    So MOBL CEO blames prior management. And the previous CEO currently has a seat on their board? Can the last person to leave please turn the lights off... :-)

Posted via CB10
    04-28-16 05:08 PM
    I previously worked for a company and told that managers were given 3 enveloppes of instructions when they start, to open at given intervals to explain why if they are having poor results. After 6 months open the first envelope and blame the prior management team. After 12 months open the second enveloppe, explain that not sufficient time yet to fully implement structure for the employees to fully integrate major required changes to get the required results. After 24 months to open the third enveloppe, quickly start to look for another job. Maybe it will be quicker at MOBL ...
    04-28-16 05:59 PM
    I previously worked for a company and told that managers were given 3 enveloppes of instructions when they start, to open at given intervals to explain why if they are having poor results. After 6 months open the first envelope and blame the prior management team. After 12 months open the second enveloppe, explain that not sufficient time yet to fully implement structure for the employees to fully integrate major required changes to get the required results. After 24 months to open the third enveloppe, quickly start to look for another job. Maybe it will be quicker at MOBL ...
    I heard a similar story. The new CEO finds a big envelope in his desk from the prior CEO with the instructions only to open the three smaller envelopes! in an emergency starting with envelope #1 first.

So the first Qtr results are bad and he has ameeting with the board to explain, he thinks it's time to open the 1st envelope, it says 'blame your predecessor. So he goes into the board meeting and blames the last CEO for the mess which will take another Qtr to fix. Next Qtr comes along and the results are even worse, he thinks no problem and opens letter #2, which says ' blame his management team' so he goes into the board meeting and blames the results on the management team his predecessor had hired and says he needs to hire new blood. Next Qtr comes along and things are really bad, but he thinks it's no problem as he has another envelop to get him off the hook, he opens it and it says 'write 3 letters/envelopes for your successor'.

I'd give him another 9 mts.

Passport running on 10.3.2. 2876
    rarsen, morganplus8, 3MIKE and 1 others like this.
    04-28-16 06:20 PM
    James E Faucette

Morgan Stanley

April 28, 2016

MobileIron

Taking a Step Back

MOBL's Q1 results and outlook reaffirms our caution on the space. Lower visibility in the pipeline makes us incrementally cautious on management's breakeven target.

Shaky demand outlook underscores our long-standing caution on the space. MobileIron reported Q1 billings of $38mm, notably below our original forecast of $42mm as management attributed underperformance to a combination of internal execution and a weaker than expected spending environment. While management insists that win rates are consistent and the pipeline is growing, we believe uncertain close rates speaks to the increasingly tough mobile device management market. Our checks continue to suggest many customers' mobile security or content/application management needs do not require the most sophisticated solution. We think other IT priorities and competition from large enterprise vendors with bundled features are making sales cycles longer and more difficult for pureplay MDM vendors.

Drop off in perpetual reintroduces execution risk, uncertainty in margin expansion. Q1 results also saw perpetual license sales decline 33% sequentially and 14% YoY. Management attributes some of the drop off to execution issues and has taken steps to address the internal problem. Positively, subscription revenue remained steady and the company continues to manage expenses (Q1 opex of $42mm slightly lower than our forecast of $43mm), but with the company working to fix operations and less visibility into the demand environment we think the pace of operating loss reduction could be at risk.

Adjusting estimates. We now expect 2Q16 and FY16 revenues / EPS of $37mm / ($0.16) and $160mm / ($0.44) (from $41mm / ($0.11) and $170mm / ($0.39) respectively), reflecting less visibility in the pipeline and uncertainty regarding perpetual v. subscription mix trends. The company continues to target operating loss of (8%) - (12%) by 4Q16, but given the revenue outlook we are now expecting 4Q16 operating loss of (11%).

Remain EW with $7 PT. While MobileIron remains a technology leader in our checks, we remain EW as the path forward becomes increasingly difficult given the concentrating competitive landscape. While we think valuation is limited to ~2.5x EV/16e rev given competitive concerns (which could likely be realized in a strategic scenario), we acknowledge that our $7 PT is still a significant premium to current levels. However, without a meaningful reacceleration in demand we think realizing our price target will increasingly depend on strategic optionality. Reacceleration towards management's breakeven target could make us more positive on the name, but we would also need to regain confidence in the company's execution of its pipeline.
    04-28-16 07:44 PM
    How the heck do you remain a EW of $7.00? What a baloney ...

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    04-28-16 08:20 PM
  21. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    How the heck do you remain a EW of $7.00? What a baloney ...

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    Agreed. "Wolf of Wall Street" BS... well, it's down approx 9 percent AH....

This Self motivated underwriter will say or do anything to "sell" their sick dog to the naive public. This stock should be trading around $1 lol

MobileIron simply can no longer compete in this competitive landscape and it will only get worse for them as competitors eat their "pure play" breakfast...

... reminds me of The Big Short... time to short this piece of....

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 04-29-16 at 07:04 AM.
    rarsen likes this.
    04-29-16 05:25 AM
    New BlackBerry Executive Alex Thurber Committed To Maintaining Focus On Channel - Page: 1 | CRN

BlackBerry has named security veteran Alex Thurber as its new senior vice president of Global Device Sales.

Thurber, who started at BlackBerry in April, told CRN that he hopes to help the company become more connected with its customers by attracting new types of partners and maintaining its focus on the channel.

"Our goal is to become even more connected to our customers," he said. "This includes being innovative with our selling models -- getting new types of partners and defining new routes to market. We want to ensure customers understand our road map and how we are developing new technologies and products to provide high levels of productivity without compromising security and privacy."

Before BlackBerry, Thurber worked as vice president of worldwide sales at WatchGuard Technologies, which provides integrated network security firewall products and services to SMBs.

Thurber has also worked as senior vice president for worldwide channels in commercial and SMB sales at McAfee, as well as in global channels strategy for Cisco Systems, where he helped implement sales strategies for security, mobility and emerging technologies, as well as develop new global business models.

"As a company, we are expanding our sales team to establish more relationships with corporate and other enterprise consumers to help generate new business while still maintaining our focus on the channel as our primary route to market," Thurber said. "The success of the device business is reliant not only on the quality and innovation behind the devices themselves, but also in our distribution model."

Rick Jordan, director of Sales and Strategic Alliances at Tenet Computer Group, a Toronto-based BlackBerry partner, applauded the Waterloo, Ontario-based company's new executive appointment.

"I think this is a win from a partner perspective. [Thurber] understands the channel and I think this will solidify BlackBerry's connection with their partners," said Jordan. "Watchguard has had tremendous success, and Cisco's obviously a powerhouse company. I think this comes down to BlackBerry’s direction -- when you're channel friendly and understand the channel, it will only help."

BlackBerry’s hiring of Thurber comes as the mobile company sharpens its focus on security software, services and Android smartphones tailored for the enterprise market.

In February, the company revealed it was cutting about 200 employees, including including Gary Klassen, creator of BlackBerry Messenger (BBM), a cross-platform instant messaging application.
    04-29-16 07:26 AM
    Agreed. "Wolf of Wall Street" BS... well, it's down approx 9 percent AH....

This Self motivated underwriter will say or do anything to "sell" their sick dog to the naive public. This stock should be trading around $1 lol

MobileIron simply can no longer compete in this competitive landscape and it will only get worse for them as competitors eat their "pure play" breakfast...

... reminds me of The Big Short... time to short this piece of....

Posted via CB10
    I thought about shorting but thought the ER wouldn't be as bad and Faucette would continue to prop them up -- which he still is with the $7 PT but you can see he is saving face by writing the obvious. Where is the 'bear','neutral',and 'bull' case? The bull case is $7. It ain't happening. The bear case is these guys can't make money and their business will start bleeding to other competitors....just as some BBRY clients left when Gartner told them to look at other offerings cause BBRY was going down. At least that story is done.

Anyways, I was going to short apple day of earning with $100 puts at $0.51, and MOBL but thought I'd have a chance for next ER. Alas...

It's time for Samsung or Apple to take a serious BO look at BBRY. More so APPL as their OS kernel won't keep up and the device will become less and less competitive plus add on the 'cool' factor will start fading as more people try and like premium Android devices better. Even MSFT as Win10 phones just won't get traction and they could buy up secure Android and sell a lot more than BBRY can because of the negative public perception. There must be $15 offers on the table that the board is not making public as they stay the course....but shouldn't they have to make that public to the shareholders for a say?
    04-29-16 08:30 AM
    Time for bbry to take out mobl now? Market cap at $270MM.

(7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic -> PRIV)
    04-29-16 10:32 AM
    Time for bbry to take out mobl now? Market cap at $270MM.
    Let them die a slow death.
    04-29-16 10:53 AM
113,250 ... 39073908390939103911 ...