View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Tech slaughter house tomorrow lol, another FB beat will save the day come Thursday

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY and Shanerredflag like this.
    04-26-16 05:02 PM
    04-26-16 06:55 PM
    Tough results for Apple today. But very much in line with their forecasts. Frankly I find it a bit amazing that a company as big as Apple can project with such accuracy one quarter at a time when so much of their revenue is tied up in one consumer item which is relatively new. Or perhaps they play with the number results more than I realize so the solve for their guidance with some levers and pulleys.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt, CDM76 and Mr BBRY like this.
    04-26-16 09:26 PM
    04-26-16 09:59 PM
    OT:

I upgraded my PRIV yesterday and i like it more and more now
    What's new? Well I'm sure you can find it everywhere on the interweb but I notice that WatchDox was installed with MM.

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    Andy_bb_king, CDM76, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    04-27-16 08:59 AM
    04-27-16 09:26 AM
    Great overview of MM on Priv. I can't understand how people like iOS ....so many more steps to accomplish simple things it's painful everytime I have to use it. I like to see the trends in Italy, Japan and China for smartphone OS new sales for the last few quarters.
    rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    04-27-16 11:08 AM
    04-27-16 12:18 PM
    BlackBerry Hires Alex Thurber as Senior Vice President for Global Device Sales

Mr. Thurber will oversee BlackBerry's in-house sales ... �My focus is to achieve BlackBerry's strategic priority in making the device business profitable,� Mr. Thurber said in an email.

Posted on my Priv
    04-27-16 01:32 PM
    BlackBerry Hires Alex Thurber as Senior Vice President for Global Device Sales - WSJ

BlackBerry Ltd. has hired a new sales executive for its global mobile-device business in its latest move to revive the struggling operation.

BlackBerry is bolstering its sales team to establish more direct relationships with corporate and other enterprise customers to help generate new business, said Alex Thurber, who is joining the Canadian technology company as senior vice president for global device sales.

Mr. Thurber will oversee BlackBerry’s in-house sales teams as well as its efforts to generate additional revenue from distributing devices through carriers and other partners.

“My focus is to achieve BlackBerry’s strategic priority in making the device business profitable,” Mr. Thurber said in an email.

The hiring reaffirms BlackBerry’s commitment to its device business even as the division shrinks. At the same time, it underscores the challenges in turning around that operation amid stiff competition from larger rivals Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co.

BlackBerry will be looking to draw on Mr. Thurber’s track record of success as head of world-wide sales at WatchGuard Technologies Inc., a private Seattle-based developer of security firewall technology. The executive said that during his tenure of just over 2� years, WatchGuard went from declining revenue to six straight quarters of year-over-year growth.

BlackBerry is largely betting on sales of higher-margin secure software and services used by government and business to manage their mobile networks to fuel its turnaround. It wants to augment that push by offering handsets that foster worker productivity while emphasizing security.

Earlier in April, BlackBerry showed that its focus is paying off as sales from software and services more than doubled in its latest quarter to $153 million from a year earlier. By contrast, its smartphone operation continued to struggle despite the November launch of the Priv, BlackBerry’s first-ever Android-powered phone. That smartphone is meant to appeal to a broader audience by incorporating the security features of BlackBerry’s older phones with the social media and entertainment apps available through the Google Play store.

Still, in its fourth quarter ended Feb. 29, handset sales disappointed. It recognized revenue on 600,000 smartphones, down from 700,000 in the third quarter, which the company blamed in part on slowing demand for high-end smartphones. BlackBerry plans to release two new, lower-priced Android phones this year.
    I hope no one will mind this is posted as such. In the interest of getting important BBRY news out there quickly. It matters.
    04-27-16 01:34 PM

Mr. Thurber will oversee BlackBerry's in-house sales ... �My focus is to achieve BlackBerry's strategic priority in making the device business profitable,� Mr. Thurber said in an email.

Posted on my Priv
    Damn. You are faster than Corbu now

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-27-16 01:36 PM
  12. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar

Posted on my Priv

"establish more direct relationships with corporate and other enterprise customers to help generate new business"

"...defining new routes to market"....

As CEO Chen alluded to in last quarter.....they would try more direct strategies... to improve profitability and increase sales.

Sounds good... since selling via traditional telcos has not been so effective or successful... so, more emphasis on Direct BlackBerry to Customer...mainly enterprise customers.

... perhaps more creative volume selling by bundling their phones with their software services....

"Oh.. and Mr. Thurber, you have until September to make it happen!"...(says CEO Chen to hew hire).
    LOL... ok... says me to new hire!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 04-27-16 at 07:40 PM.
    04-27-16 01:39 PM
    Interesting as today on Android Central I read this article that said the following and I giggled a bit as it "sounded familiar":

Since its launch in 2013, Samsung Knox has become a trusted and robust mobile security platform, protecting the device at every layer from hardware through software to application. With this next evolution, all Samsung enterprise solutions and services including healthcare, automotive, finance and other segments will be built on the Samsung Knox platform.

"Samsung Knox allows us to offer our customers a better way to manage security and increase productivity," said Robert Schukai, Head of Applied Innovation, Thomson Reuters. "By partnering with Samsung, we can take advantage of a networked world by empowering people to see connections, use insights and make decisions when it counts. Samsung Knox is pushing forward our connected future."
    On the BerryFlow podcast, they had an interesting discussion last week about how Samsung had systematically replaced BlackBerry in quite a few things and it really made me think. Reading these today shows that if there is some merit to the argument, Sammy isn't done yet.
    04-27-16 02:06 PM
    04-27-16 02:26 PM
    The goal is to be even more connected to our customers. This includes being innovative with our selling models – getting new types of partners and defining new routes to market.
    I like that
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    04-27-16 02:32 PM
    04-27-16 02:57 PM
    Apple loses $35B (!!) in value, and much more sadly, the apparent suicide today. BBRY manages to avoid the fallout from all of that and is up for the day?!

That's interesting. I wonder what commitments they've made to Thurber?
    04-27-16 03:02 PM
    Some general information on the increasing need to improve Android and iOS of course. With the global market share held by Android it is indeed of great interest, those increasingly aware of the importance of the problem should be more aware of BB availability for real Android answers. And then gradually exposed to the BB10 established benefits as people will want newer options and more features. And good that people increasingly questioning Apple offerings, as a mouvement in the many suppliers of the Market is starting to be felt. It takes time as people get more interested in knowing available innovation, but interesting possibilities ahead IMHO.

Is Android still a toxic hellstew? | ZDNet
    "additionally... But the real problem is all the old hardware out there. Devices still running Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich, and Gingerbread, believe it or not, account for about a quarter of all active Android devices today. These are way beyond ever seeing an update. Sure, there are fewer and fewer as the months progress, as old devices die, and just as with Windows XP, this is a problem that's going to take a long time to disappear completely."
    04-27-16 06:13 PM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    04-27-16 06:53 PM
    Apple loses $35B (!!) in value, and much more sadly, the apparent suicide today. BBRY manages to avoid the fallout from all of that and is up for the day?!

There may still be some AAPL long / BBRY short pair trades that need unwinding...

Posted via CB10
    04-27-16 08:02 PM

It's all down hill from here bud lol...(condolences to the family of the deceased)

Posted via the device I grabbed today.
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 04-27-16 at 10:46 PM.
    04-27-16 08:50 PM
    On the bright side...the MM OS on Priv is a "YUGE" improvement... should bode well for future users.

Greened, rarsen, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    04-27-16 10:39 PM
    04-27-16 11:30 PM
    On the bright side...the MM OS on Priv is a "YUGE" improvement... should bode well for future users.

Hey! Long-time no read!! 👋
    masterful, Corbu, Mr BBRY and 3 others like this.
    04-28-16 06:50 AM
    On the situation of the smartphone industry, which concerns BBRY, obviously:
    In Smartphone Market, the Squeeze Is On - WSJ

Earnings reports this week may toll the bell for a decadelong bonanza

SEOUL—Earnings reports this week may toll the bell for the decadelong smartphone bonanza.

Samsung Electronics Co., the world’s biggest smartphone maker by shipments, reported strong mobile-profit gains Thursday—but goosed the results by pushing up the release of a new flagship model. Also Thursday, crosstown rival LG Electronics Inc. reported the third straight quarterly loss for its mobile division. Even Apple Inc., the world’s most profitable smartphone maker by a wide margin, earlier this week reported an earnings drop from a year earlier and its first revenue decline in 13 years as iPhone sales turned sluggish.

LG is counting on its new flagship G5 smartphone, which went on sale earlier this month, to drive market share and earnings gains, but makers are running into a new reality: For the first time, the global market is shrinking, according to research firm Strategy Analytics, which puts first-quarter smartphone shipments at 335 million, down 3% from a year earlier. Calculations by another firm, IDC, show growth, but barely—0.2%.

Saturation in developed economies and rising competition in emerging markets like India, Indonesia and Latin America is squeezing out weaker players and pressuring the profits of those that remain.

The pain has spread to component makers. Sony Corp.’s device unit, whose products include image sensors for smartphones, on Thursday posted an operating loss of �28.6 billion ($264 million) for the year ended March, after a year-earlier profit of �89 billion. The company now regards the smartphone business as “a low-growth industry,” Chief Financial Officer Kenichiro Yoshida said.

“We have overestimated demand,” he said.

While the Samsung mobile unit’s first-quarter operating profit was up 42% from a year earlier—the biggest jump since the second quarter of 2013—and its margin rose to 14% from 11%, analysts seemed unmoved. In the medium term, Samsung will struggle to keep up its earnings growth, said Shelley Jang, Seoul-based director of credit-rating company Fitch Ratings.

“Smartphones are now commoditized,” she said in a note to clients. “Everyone has one, even in developing countries.” Samsung’s smartphone recovery “is likely to be short-lived,” she added, pointing to “ever-increasing competition and narrowing product differentiation as lower-cost competitors’ handsets improve.”

Investors were similarly skeptical, pushing Samsung shares down 2.7%, its biggest one-day decline in nearly a month.

Samsung pushed up the release of its well-received flagship Galaxy S7 smartphone, boosting its first-quarter impact. Last year’s release of the Galaxy S6 came nearly a month later.

Carrier partners promoted the Galaxy S7 aggressively—particularly the curved-screen variant the Galaxy S7 Edge, which was “sold out almost immediately upon arrival” in the U.S., China and the Middle East, according to Lee Kyeong-tae, Samsung’s vice president of mobile communications.

More-sobering results could come as soon as the next quarter or two for Samsung as the market becomes crowded with more rival products and it lacks a new flagship phone to drive excitement. And the South Korean won, whose weakness benefited Samsung’s first-quarter export earnings, is expected to continue strengthening.

Unlike in recent quarters, Samsung won’t get a reprieve from its semiconductor business; fears of an industrywide glut of memory chips and cooling demand sent it to its first year-over-year decline in more than three years. The chip business’s contribution to the company’s bottom line fell to its lowest level in nearly two years.

Overall, net profit for the first quarter was up 14% from a year earlier to 5.3 trillion won ($4.6 billion), after a drop of 40% the quarter before. The mobile division’s operating profit was 3.9 trillion won.

The chip unit’s operating profit was off 10% to 2.6 trillion won, with margins squeezed to 24%. At their peak, the unit’s margins ran as high as 30%.

In a separate statement Thursday, Samsung said that it would start the third phase of a previously announced 11.3 trillion won share-buyback program. Over three months starting Friday, the company will purchase and cancel 2 trillion won worth of shares.
    04-28-16 09:09 AM
113,256 ... 39063907390839093910 ...