Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    From FY2014 filing:

Redemption Right
    The Debentures will not be redeemable prior to November 13, 2016. On or after November 13, 2016, but prior to November 13, 2017, the Debentures will be redeemable at the Company’s sole option, on not more than 60 days’ and not less than 40 days’ prior written notice, in whole or in part, at a price equal to 104% of the principal amount thereof, plus accrued and unpaid interest. The percentage of principal amount at which the Debentures may be redeemed will decrease by 1% for each successive one year period thereafter to the Maturity Date.

More details:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...622931dex3.htm

Bond holders, although not 100% certain:

Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd : USD 500 million
    Mackenzie Financial Corp : USD 200 million
    Qatar Holding LLC : USD 100 million
    Brookfield Asset Management Inc. : USD 50 million
    Markel Corp : USD 100 million
    Canso Investment Counsel Ltd : USD 300 million

Now, I believe one of the bond holders has already converted their bond into shares... but I can't find who?!
    Last edited by _dimi_; 04-22-16 at 09:42 AM.
    04-22-16 09:25 AM
    This Canadian fund manager is now BlackBerry Ltd?s third-largest shareholder | Financial Post

Canso Investment Counsel Ltd. became BlackBerry Ltd.’s third-largest investor, after converting $300 million of the smartphone maker’s debt into stock.

The Canadian fund manager now holds 5.4% of BlackBerry’s common shares, according to a U.S. securities filing on Thursday.

That places Canso behind Primecap Management Co. and Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Canso participated in a $1 billion convertible-bond sale in November 2013.

Wait, how did that happen without affecting the number of shares outstanding? Or did I miss something?
    04-22-16 09:48 AM
    Considering the tech sector and overall Nasdaq action today, BBRY is really quite impressive.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, rarsen, La Emperor and 4 others like this.
    04-22-16 10:11 AM
    This Canadian fund manager is now BlackBerry Ltd?s third-largest shareholder | Financial Post

Canso Investment Counsel Ltd. became BlackBerry Ltd.’s third-largest investor, after converting $300 million of the smartphone maker’s debt into stock.

The Canadian fund manager now holds 5.4% of BlackBerry’s common shares, according to a U.S. securities filing on Thursday.

That places Canso behind Primecap Management Co. and Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Canso participated in a $1 billion convertible-bond sale in November 2013.

Wait, how did that happen without affecting the number of shares outstanding? Or did I miss something?
    that did not happen, it just was not reported correctly, they are a bond shop and do not own the shares.
    _dimi_, morganplus8, Corbu and 7 others like this.
    04-22-16 10:22 AM
    that did not happen, it just was not reported correctly, they are a bond shop and do not own the shares.
    Hey man!

Unless I am off, you sound to be in the same field as our M8 and DaShwantz. Care to elaborate on your thought, or continue on that riff that the guys' started?

This is getting good.
    3MIKE, morganplus8, 3_M4N and 1 others like this.
    04-22-16 11:34 AM
    Hey man!

Unless I am off, you sound to be in the same field as our M8 and DaShwantz. Care to elaborate on your thought, or continue on that riff that the guys' started?

This is getting good.
    Well, that so called 'conversion' was just plain mis-reported. As kadakn01 says, it never happened. And btw I'm not in the financial field, just obsessed with figuring it all out...can't speak for the other two, but I can say that they both definitely know what they're talking about.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-16 11:57 AM
    We seldom hear from Carl Wiese. This is a welcomed change, with a bit of information on the acquisition strategy:

Buying the ?next big thing? is off BlackBerry?s agenda, as company halts acquisition spending spree - Computer Business Review

C-level briefing: President of Global Sales Carl Wiese says that the company has a complete portfolio and doesn't need any more companies.

BlackBerry has always been a prolific acquirer of other companies, but over the last year it has been pouring a large amount of capital into buying up big companies.

Just over a year ago, BlackBerry bought WatchDox, a secure data sync and share company for the enterprises. AtHoc, a networked crisis communications provider was bought in July 2015.

In February, BlackBerry bought cyber security company Encription, which will form the basis of BlackBerry's new consulting practice, the Professional Cybersecurity Services.

Perhaps the most important acquisition has been the $425 million buy-out of Good Technology, a rival in the enterprise mobility management (EMM) space, which has now been completely integrated with portfolio.

So is BlackBerry planning to continue with this spree of acquisitions? After all, the company has $2.6 billion in cash to deploy if it wants to.

No, according to Carl Wiese, president, global sales at BlackBerry. The company now believes it has most of the major areas covered and is now looking at a "pause" in its acquisitions strategy.

"We've done a lot, so we're much more focused around the integration piece of that," says Wiese.

The company is now looking at cases where it makes "perfect sense" to make an acquisition.

"We're not looking for some big category that we don't have," says Wiese. "We're being very selective in terms of where it plugs in. Right now, we're not looking for the next big thing."

The reason for this is that BlackBerry now feels that with these acquisitions it has a fairly comprehensive software portfolio.

The containerisation from Good Technology, for example, complements the mobile device management offerings of BlackBerry.

"We were both solving the same customer problem but solving it in very different ways," Christy Wyatt, former CEO of Good Technology, told CBR back in October. "So if you line the two technology sets up side-by-side there is actually very little overlap."
    BlackBerry also benefits from a wide range of applications, which Wiese says is a key advantage over its competitors.

"We think our application strategy is far beyond. If you look at things like BBM-protected instant message or WatchDox's enterprise file sync and share, these are our own branded apps. Then we have about 100 ISV apps."

Earlier this month, the new BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) release on iOS, Android and BlackBerry smartphones added a range of new features to enhance privacy and control.

He cites the more than 4000 applications built by customers with the SDK built on Good Dynamics.

"Put all that together with BES, choice of container, choice of applications, no one else has that top-to-bottom."

This separation of the platform from the apps also affects how the sales channels operate. Wiese says that there are two possible ways of selling BlackBerry software, either with or without the EMM platform.

The breadth of BlackBerry's software underlines a wider strategic shift at the company which has been on the cards for a while.

In its quarterly results in April, BlackBerry revealed that revenue broke down to approximately 32 percent for software and services, 29 percent for service access fees, and 39 percent for hardware and other revenue.

BlackBerry achieved non-GAAP software and services revenue of $153 million, up 106 percent for the same quarter year over year, meaning software and services revenue reached $527 million in FY 2016.

"We think, depending on who you talk to, that the [software] market is growing maybe 15 to 20 percent. It is growing, but nowhere near as quickly as we are growing," says Wiese.

Handset revenue in the Q4 2016 results was 189.9 million, a 15 percent quarter-on-quarter drop.

After BlackBerry's Q4 results, CNBC reported CEO John Chen saying that the company may move to software-only if hardware does not deliver.

Wiese clarifies the comments:

"John has made the comment that software is very important part of the turnaround strategy. He's been very clear that the device business needs to make money."

Wiese says that the company has made tremendous progress over the last year and "closed the gap significantly".

"He was very public about not making money in the last earnings call.

"That being said, he said he would make money this year. So he's very focused on turning that business to a break-even at worst and possibly making money."

What has this meant in practice? Wiese says that the launch of the Priv, a BlackBerry-secured device based on the Android platform, has been "part of" the improvement, but mostly it has been driven by cutting costs in the supply chain.

Regardless of whether a hardware turnaround is in sight, BlackBerry will focus on integrating its now fairly extensive software portfolio rather than acquiring for the time being. Time will tell how successful this strategy is.
    04-22-16 12:35 PM
    http://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/arti...=yhoo.headline

Microsoft's strategy sounds more and more familiar

Posted via CB10
    04-22-16 01:30 PM
    Doing my part increase the share price! Now a proud owner of a VZW PRIV, and showing it to everyone I can. . It seems like a quality device that could have a much wider appeal if they can get the word out.

(7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic -> PRIV)
    morganplus8, rarsen, Corbu and 8 others like this.
    04-22-16 06:20 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    http://mobile.itbusinessedge.com/blo...e-problem.html

Roll out of Priv... sorry, if already posted....

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE, morganplus8 and awindsr like this.
    04-23-16 06:36 AM
    Strictly speaking, does not concern BBRY per se but has to do with its CEO.

New Chen Professorship Supports Research in Sustainability and Energy - Caltech Giving

Well done, sir.
    04-23-16 07:41 AM
    04-23-16 08:31 AM
    spiller[/B];12399209]After last earnings I'm going to start trading BBRY vs the long hold I've had on it. Now it should get back to 8 in a hurry Unless there is news, which I don't see except buyout rumours, I see it as pretty flat in the 7.20-8.40 range for a while. [requirement]..
    Ha! Ha! Ha! You got me laughing, and remembering this post while at the lake yesterday! The "requirement" out of the way, you let those small "g" Germans have it. I do agree with your range for the stock over the next while though, we are about to see the 50-dma cut up through the 200-dma on Monday I believe, it isn't going to happen in an exciting why but it has been 13 months and plenty of failed attempts to get it there and it is bullish for TA types. This week, the DOW Jones made its move in the same manor and now all of those bears and sell side analysts are suddenly turning bullish here 1,000's of points higher on the DOW.

BBRY is also making its move, as CJ pointed out, we had great relative strength on both Thursday, to a lesser extent, and Friday, closing higher while the inventor of the mobile phone, AAPL continues to drop ahead of earnings. I like what I see as we are only 14 days under the major averages and can make that up and pull them along in a positive way this time while trending sideways in the $ 8.20/shr area. My plan is to write a monstrous amount of Calls on my block of stock when we achieve $ 8.25/shr just to kill time while we head for the Fall. The Calls will expire just before the next Q though. Best of luck trading BBRY.
    04-23-16 09:34 AM
    [WARN]Personal Attacks or Insults to Members
    Constructive discussions, debates, and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to criticize or insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If you are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic, you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.[/WARN]

Case is closed, move forward please.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-23-16 12:15 PM
    Just wanted to give a shout out to the many moderators that make all this possible. We know what you do takes almost all your free time and you your patience is tested by the minute. You're the few that allow the many to voice their opinion, even though the many don't realize what that entails. Thank you from the heart ladies and gentlemen.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, 3MIKE, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    04-23-16 02:06 PM
    Hey Morgan. Lots going on overseas but I'm still around as much as possible. To my pleasant surprise, the Priv is seen over here more than I've seen previous devices. The Frankfurt Blackberry store seems always busy and the professional crowd seem to be drawn to the new Priv. The DoD is just releasing the BES12 and we're ordering this device like never before. Hard to say what Blackberry will do with hardware, but the software will always have a home here, but you've always known my opinion on this. Hope everyone has a safe and pleasant weekend! Lenny.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-16 02:16 PM
    Hey Morgan. Lots going on overseas but I'm still around as much as possible. To my pleasant surprise, the Priv is seen over here more than I've seen previous devices. The Frankfurt Blackberry store seems always busy and the professional crowd seem to be drawn to the new Priv. The DoD is just releasing the BES12 and we're ordering this device like never before. Hard to say what Blackberry will do with hardware, but the software will always have a home here, but you've always known my opinion on this. Hope everyone has a safe and pleasant weekend! Lenny.

Posted via CB10
    Hey Lenny !!!

Glad you made it back to the thread! I was thinking of you when we linked to this article, what are your thoughts on this?

http://mobile.itbusinessedge.com/blo...e-problem.html

World Traveler - posted it again 7 messages back from here, it's worth a re-read on its own but its even better when someone like you can comment on it!

Germany is nice this time of year, are you jumping a train and heading anywhere special?
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, cjcampbell and 2 others like this.
    04-23-16 07:19 PM
    Super glad to see you back Lenny and thanks for the update re BES DoD: great news!
    Also, Ben, sorry for your muted return... but glad also to see tou there: where have you been ?
    Do we have the dream team back ?

Will be partially in e-rehab next week, only exception will probably be here.
    Have a great weekend guys !

edit (the day after) : And as we seem to be back ol'style; here's a footprint of last trading day.
    Whatever I read, expect or fear, I must say I'm still pretty much impressed when I look in the mirror.
    We knew this won't be a fishing party but still, BBRY is still alive and (hopefully) soon to kick !

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png

P.S: M+8 : see what I did here, they're playing golf; won't post more charts but the weekend !
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-24-16 at 04:08 AM.
    Corbu, morganplus8 and CDM76 like this.
    04-24-16 01:54 AM
    Weekend information from the Related Technologies file, Solar Impulse 2 plane using QNX lands in California:

Solar-Powered Plane Returns to the Skies With QNX Onboard | Inside BlackBerry
    Solar Impulse 2 lands in California after Pacific leg - CNN.com
    On Q: Behind the controls of the Solar Impulse
    "QNX Software Systems is the official realtime OS partner for the Solar Impulse team. The plane uses the QNX Neutrino OS for several control and data communication functions."
    04-24-16 06:33 AM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    04-25-16 05:49 AM
    Reconfirmation with some clarification:

BlackBerry CEO Chen on Giving Canada Access to Consumer Accounts | Re/code
    "He did stress that companies that install their own BlackBerry Enterprise Server systems hold their own keys and BlackBerry doesn’t have access to any back doors to offer governments or anyone else. Our BES continues to be impenetrable — also without the ability for back door access — and is the most secure mobile platform for managing all mobile devices,” Chen said. “That’s why we are the gold standard in government and enterprise-grade security. And of course it comes as Apple has been loudly fighting a number of U.S. government demands that it help break into encrypted data stored on iPhones.”
    04-25-16 06:59 AM
    Read this today and seemed to me to be something BlackBerry was perfect to do:

Just last month, DARPA launched a project dubbed "Improv," inviting hackers to transform simple household appliances into deadly weapons.
    Now, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is finding someone in the private sector to develop a hacker-proof "secure messaging and transaction platform" for the U.S. military.
    Darpa wants researchers to create a secure messaging and transaction platform that should be accessible via the web browser or standalone native application.
    The secure messaging app should "separate the message creation, from the transfer (transport) and reception of the message using a decentralized messaging backbone to allow anyone anywhere the ability to send a secure message or conduct other transactions across multiple channels traceable in a decentralized ledger," agency's notice explains.
    In simple words, DARPA aims to create a secure messaging service that not only implements the standard encryption and security mechanisms used by other secure messaging apps like Signal, Ricochet, and Whatsapp but also communicates via a secure decentralized protocol like Blockchain to prevent cyber attacks and surveillance.
    The secure messaging app will be developed in three phases:
    First Phase: Create a model for an existing decentralized blockchain-like platform and experiment with encryption protocols and hardware options.
    Second Phase: Develop and test the "working prototype."
    Third Phase: commercialize and full-scale implementation of the platform.
    Also Read: The Best Way to Send and Receive End-to-End Encrypted Emails.
    During the first round, the DARPA will award $150,000 per year to the successful applicants. The phase one candidates can then be eligible for a second round award of up to $1 Million for two years.
    During the final and third phase, the selected candidates can then pursue commercialization and full-scale implementation of their platform, without receiving any fund from the federal government.
    The solicitation will officially open on May 23, 2016 and will close on June 22, 2016.
    ?DARPA Wants To Build Ultra Secure Messaging App for US Military
    Corbu, La Emperor, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    04-25-16 10:43 AM
    I thought BlackBerry Messenger protected is available in the market...

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    04-25-16 11:19 AM
    Read this today and seemed to me to be something BlackBerry was perfect to do:

?DARPA Wants To Build Ultra Secure Messaging App for US Military
    "using a decentralized messaging backbone" means they didn't want BlackBerry's BBM.

"award $150,000 per year to the successful applicants. The phase one candidates can then be eligible for a second round award of up to $1 Million for two years." means they wan't it done for almost nothing. But then the reward would be at then end when you could start reaping the benifts...

Does sound like something that AtHoc would fit nicely with. But almost sounds like DARPA wants to compete with where AtHoc might be heading anyway.
    04-25-16 11:27 AM
    I'm back in (in a modest way) at $7.15 today. I'm convinced that Chen won't invest a lot of money on these two new Android phones. That's a good thing, IMO, and will allow the more interesting parts of the business to drive somewhere in the range of $10-12 per share a year from now.

I realize most predictions of better days for BBRY have fallen flat on their face, but nevertheless there is mine. I like the mix of software products, with my only reservation there being the potential of increasing price pressure on BES. Still, there is $10 of value somewhere in that mix I think, especially after they drop hardware.

I've made and lost a lot of money on BlackBerry over the past couple of decades. We'll see how it goes this time.
    04-25-16 12:48 PM
113,256 ... 39043905390639073908 ...