View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Indeed!

Their most requested phone for support is the BlackBerry PRIV, however, which is undergoing security certification. Apparently, what held it up was that BlackBerry didn�t want to have to certify it twice in a short time; the availability of Android Marshmallow delayed the process, which should be complete shortly. This suggests that there will likely be a rather large number of government employees moving from iPhones to BlackBerry PRIV phones by year end.
    04-21-16 03:41 PM
    Two things, (1) what a great find, and, (2) how did you pry this from Corbu?

That is one of the best stories I have heard in awhile. Nice.

Thanks
    Corbu is tough to beat for sure! LOL! I used BlackBerry's recently new friend Google.

Posted from my trusted Passport
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    04-21-16 03:48 PM
    In Corbu defense, his CPU has been running a little hot lately due to over worked and not enough down-time . We have two choice upgrade the CPU or trash it? Joking mate!

BBRY finished the day at $7.10 (requirement)

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    04-21-16 04:23 PM
    A good read!

http://mobile.itbusinessedge.com/blo...e-problem.html

Posted from my trusted Passport
    Great find, indeed.
    So, everybody reminds the recent announcement about BES12 and Azure/Sharepoint integration ? http://bizblog.blackberry.com/2016/0...in-an-instant/

If those two had swallowed their pride a bit earlier... well, let's looking forward !

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    04-21-16 04:27 PM
    A good read!
    Written by Ron Enderle? Very good sign that there's absolutely no truth to it whatsoever.
    04-21-16 04:42 PM
    Written by Ron Enderle? Very good sign that there's absolutely no truth to it whatsoever.
    Care to elaborate?

04-21-16 04:48 PM
    Elephant_C
    Can you please elaborate what you mean ?

Edit: lol, 8 seconds late
    Posted via CB10
    04-21-16 04:48 PM
    Elephant_C

Edit: lol, 8 seconds late
    Posted via CB10
    Good minds think alike. Lol

Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-21-16 04:58 PM
    Andy!!!

It is such a good find that I hope you'll allow me to post it in extenso!

As Morgan said, this is one of the best ones lately...

By the way, for the record, one of the reasons I like to quote such posts in their entirety is that way, they are easier to find/locate afterwards, if need be. I recently had to locate something that had been written/posted long ago for a friend of this thread and had I merely posted the link, I would never have been able to track it down. By training, I am also quite aware of copyright issues, etc. and keep that aspect in mind as well.

So, here :

Every once in a while, I run into something amazing. In this case, it is an effort announced at the AFCEA Defensive Cyber Operations Symposium that should ensure that BlackBerry and Microsoft dominate government and high-security enterprise mobile solutions, an effort that is not actually driven by Microsoft or BlackBerry.

This effort comes from a partnership between two other companies, and I think it showcases the fact that strategies to change both of these major companies are working and that, once again, the success of both firms is tied to partners and not just the firms’ own insular efforts.

Let me walk you through this.

The Critical Mobile Security Problem for Government

Organizations like the Department of Defense (DoD) want, and critically need, their people to be able to use mobile technology to collaborate. Literally, the fate of the free world often depends on this happening. Originally, BlackBerry dominated this effort, but other platforms have been tried as users wanted to move to trendier – platforms that accommodated their personal needs more easily. But with that movement came management and security exposures.

The DoD and similar organizations also want and need applications like Microsoft 365, SharePoint, Lync, OneDrive and Yammer, which enable collaboration and comply with security standards. But SharePoint, while technically proficient, isn’t that friendly to folks who don’t have an IT background. And collaboration, because of its risks, hasn’t been great enough to actually drive people to use the service even though the government already owns the licenses.

So agencies needed something that could provide the kind of BlackBerry-like security protections demanded by government, with full management control, and they needed a SharePoint-like product that people would actually use. They needed a partnership between BlackBerry and Microsoft, but these firms weren’t partnered.

The Secret Partnership

Secret partnerships are usually formed in the bowels of the companies. For instance, Oracle refused to work with Microsoft, but customers needed integration. So a secret group formed in Oracle that worked with their counterparts in Microsoft in stealth to fix the related problems.

But in this Microsoft/BlackBerry case, the partnership was formed between B&D Consulting Inc., a huge government-focused consultant with tons of BlackBerry experience that specializes in security, unified communications, cybersecurity and artificial intelligence (AI), and harmon.ie, one of the top-rated Microsoft partners focused on humanizing Microsoft Office and all of the other tools listed above from within Outlook (check out the video).

These two firms effectively became proxies for BlackBerry and Microsoft and today announced a massive joint DoD effort to solve the problems I have described. However, the resulting solution has far broader implications.

The Microsoft Office Backstory

Office was always conceived to be more of a development platform than a final product; it just never seemed to go that way. When it came to market, it was massively cheaper than the word processing machines, calculators, automated rolodex systems and costly graphics solutions it replaced. Conceptually, it was supposed to be a foundation that partners would then use to target specific needs. Instead, it had the curse of being good enough and, even as dominant as it was, it never reached its full potential.

BlackBerry’s strength has moved from devices to management and, with the acquisition of Good Technology, moved solidly cross-platform. But, in the meantime, BlackBerry’s resources have become constrained, so it needs partners to help it carry the ball.

In this one effort, both needs have been met. I’m astonished that it appears to be happening organically and is not being directly driven by the technology providers. I think this is the first time I’ve seen this.

Support for BlackBerry PRIV and Windows Phones

I picked up some additional tidbits during the briefing. First, the partners are setting up to aggressively support Windows Phones and the BlackBerry PRIV. There is no visible demand for the Windows Phones, but there has been substantial demand for the Surface tablets, which both firms report are replacing iPads in mass numbers. This suggests that they are hedging and anticipating the possible success of the rumored Surface Phone. Their most requested phone for support is the BlackBerry PRIV, however, which is undergoing security certification. Apparently, what held it up was that BlackBerry didn’t want to have to certify it twice in a short time; the availability of Android Marshmallow delayed the process, which should be complete shortly. This suggests that there will likely be a rather large number of government employees moving from iPhones to BlackBerry PRIV phones by year end.

Wrapping Up: Encouragement Wins over Force

My grandmother told me a story when I was around seven, and it has stuck with me. It was about a fictional struggle between the wind and the sun. They made a bet about which could get a woman to take her coat off. The wind tried to force the issue. The harder it blew, the tighter the woman held her coat. The sun just gradually warmed, and eventually the woman took her coat off. The moral of the tale is that encouragement can work far better than force.

Both BlackBerry and Microsoft have been aggressively moving to enable this kind of collaboration ever since each changed leadership, and they got the result that their predecessors seemed to be trying to force far more successfully, albeit they got it through partners rather than through their own efforts. I think that’s a good lesson. Something to noodle on this week.
    And some kudos to Rob Enderle. One of the very few to consistently stand his ground and have the courage of his convictions. In a sea of likewise thinking "experts" and "analysts", it is good to see someone like that. Thank you.
    Last edited by Corbu; 04-21-16 at 05:36 PM.
    04-21-16 05:15 PM
    In Corbu defense, his CPU has been running a little hot lately due to over worked and not enough down-time . We have two choice upgrade the CPU or trash it? Joking mate!
    I would suggest the second option, mate. My CPU is so old they can't find any replacement Intel 8008s... I think I have become a museum piece...

rarsen and 3MIKE like this.
    04-21-16 05:19 PM
    Someone much wiser than me recently said "Don't feed...".

Still applicable today, unfortunately. Class simply can't be taught.
    04-21-16 05:23 PM
    I would suggest the second option, mate. My CPU is so old they can't find any replacement Intel 8008s... I think I have become a museum piece...

Don't feel bad, I'm right beside you in the museum with my Intel E8000. Good laugh mate!

Corbu, rarsen and 3MIKE like this.
    04-21-16 05:28 PM
    I am not sufficiently technically competent to determine whether this type of situation and boundless others that will inevitably happen could/would have been avoided had Tesla opted for a QNX as opposed to a Linux environment. Others here certainly are and will set me straight.

Still, when I see this, I can't refrain from hoping that Tesla had integrated some QNX technology, somehow. Seems to be it would have been a perfect combination and it would have been terrific from a marketing, visibility and "coolness" standpoint. As Morgan said earlier, it would be nice to see something tangible happen on the QNX side one of these days.

Tesla hacker installs Gentoo and can now watch movies on the Model S? 17-in display | Electrek

04-21-16 05:42 PM
    The (not) funny part is that for most, being able to do so is not a fail but an advantage, as they probably believe the car is 'safe enough to gain this kind of advantage, because... because'.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    04-21-16 05:46 PM
    As you know, my response was getting a bit long winded.
    Never. It's very on topic and provides valuable insight to the board, in my opinion. If others are bored, well then I don't know if they're ready to understand how stock price valuations are carried out or even why they're here. It takes work. If we use this board to share information and thoughts that saves us all time and effort.

My personal take on SAF is, "how the heck is it holding up so well"?
    Good question, but once you remember that the combined populations of Nigeria and Indonesia is somewhere around 450 million, it starts to make sense. BIS plans are still sometimes the cheapest way to get data coverage in many countries where legacy BlackBerry use is still common. I wish there were a better way to leverage this, but even Chen admits that there's nothing he can do about it, and he's a master of repurposing old stuff.

I tried to keep my personal feelings out of the HW debate in order to promote my Convertible Bond theory.
    Not sure exactly how a potential HW spinoff is necessarily connected to a bond repurchase, but I'll discuss a bit more and maybe you'll see where I'm coming from. First off, I think the BlackBerry Android phones are all really meant to be on Marshmallow right from the get go. The marketing that was done on Priv sort of implied more than was there, and DTEK will really only shine once it's run on Marshmallow. It also helps explain the Verizon timing. There's a history there , so they can't have convinced them to carry it just on the one phone...it's more about a being part of a security strategy for their business clients that includes BlackBerry. Another example is that article that just said BlackBerry held back on DoD Priv sales in order to have one single certification process under Marshmallow and capture the sales later, particularly now that the fleet phones are in the works.. So now that things are lined up, we see Chen go full throttle (as much as possible) to make BlackBerry HW on Android 'work', from a company perspective. But, interestingly, he's also given himself timeliness that line up in front a potential bond repurchase and not really enough time to roll out the fleet phones. I would assume that this is intentional, but instead of assuming that Watsa is going to be caught flat footed I would suggest that he's got it all lined up behind the scenes. For example, they could do a restricted share issuance to bond holders at market prices ahead of a bond repurchase, which would basically return much of the cash for the bond repurchase back to bbry. It would dilute shareholders but would also eliminate all 'debt' and would not affect cash levels or share price too much. They will also now be able to negotiate some sort of operational line of credit with the cdn banks to fill any liquidity gap that might arise from the repurchase.

Lastly, I think we have heard for far too long that, "QNX is in over 60 MM vehicles", are you not getting tired of hearing this?
    Yes agreed. Chen's attention is on the Android HW thing right now, but I worry about the QNX side. New cars are all being marketed for Apple and Google compatibility, which means they'll scoop the margins. This is a big area that needs more attention...and the auto makers themselves need to start coming together on this if they also want to claim their chunk of those margins and keep the silly 'phonification' of the dashboard at bay.

For us, the bottom is in, we really don't care what the next two Q's look like because there are bigger fish to fry here. Chen is in the drivers seat for the balance of this calendar year.
    Yes agreed. I recently converted half my ECA.TO to BB.TO

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DaSchwantz; 04-21-16 at 06:09 PM.
    04-21-16 05:48 PM
    Nite guys CU2morrow (this is my discreet tribute to a well known Artist whose unexpected and early departure made me feel like snow in April)

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, rarsen and ZayDub like this.
    04-21-16 05:51 PM
    Totally agree with you mate. But I'm truly dissatisfied [...]. I'm five taps away from deleting this app!

Don't do it bbjdog...noise is just noise. The mods here expect more from the regulars, which I think is fine. It helps keep the groupthink at bay.

And I also would like to assert the principle that eye candy photos that include a BlackBerry product help the bbry share price, and are therefore on topic. :-)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-21-16 at 06:40 PM.
    04-21-16 05:58 PM
    +1
    Let's leave the past behind and (re)start on the Good foot.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen and 3MIKE like this.
    04-21-16 05:59 PM
    Elephant_C
    Umm, this is the same Enderle who writes glowing reviews of IE, makes up ridiculous rants against IE's competitors, proclaimed multiple times that Zune was on a trajectory to destroy the iPod (it's almost there!), had "inside sources" that swore Apple was switching to Windows (during the transition to OS X), etc.

He's thrown a lot of crazy stuff up there for many years. Sometimes he is right, I will give him that. Even a broken clock, as they say. At best, you have to admit he's extremely controversial.

Careful of the confirmation bias is all I'll say.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 04-21-16 at 06:29 PM.
    04-21-16 06:10 PM
    No I will not!
    Yelling into noise just makes you part of it. Don't waste your voice, my friend.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, CDM76 and 3MIKE like this.
    04-21-16 06:13 PM
    Don't do it bbjdog...noise is just noise. The mods here expect more from the regulars, which I think is fine. It helps keep the groupthink at bay.

And I also would like to assert the principle that eye candy photos that include a BlackBerry product help the bbry share price, and are therefore on topic. :-)

Posted via CB10
    I don't know were you got that quote from, but no harm done. Cheers mate and thanks. 24 hour rule into effect.
    04-21-16 06:26 PM
    I don't know were you got that quote from, but no harm done. Cheers mate and thanks. 24 hour rule into effect.
    Yours truly. Yes I'm quotable sometimes. And most of what I say is almost true.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, Corbu, 3MIKE and 1 others like this.
    04-21-16 06:29 PM
    Umm, this is the same Enderle who writes glowing reviews of IE, makes up ridiculous rants against IE's competitors, proclaimed multiple times that Zune was on a trajectory to destroy the iPod (it's almost there!), had "inside sources" that swore Apple was switching to Windows (during the transition to OS X), etc.

He's thrown a lot of crazy stuff up there for many years. Sometimes he is right, I will give him that. Even a broken clock, as they say. At best, you have to admit he's extremely controversial.

I do admit controversial is part of his pedigree. Still, this story seems to have legs and fits with latests announcements... so...

Posted via CB10
    04-21-16 06:44 PM

Don't know the guy or his writing, but here's what I do remember. Several years ago, some friends who make their living in IT, and Apple products in particular, gave me hard time when I got an iPad ONE as a wedding present, and wasn't all that impressed. At that time I described what I thought a tablet should be (a description that is only now showing itself in the marketplace as the MS surface), but they attacked me at the time for 'not getting it'. Now, those same guys who gave me a hard time are MS Surface fanboys.

I looked at MSFT for the first time in a long while, but it's had a run and the earnings tonight weren't so great. Still, dudes like this are often wrong for 90%, and right for a very short and very spectacular 10%. For whatever reason, he's now talking about bbry...Just saying.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE and Mr BBRY like this.
    04-21-16 06:49 PM
    +1
    Let's leave the past behind and (re)start on the Good foot.
    Oh man... SF! You opened the door wide with that one... Would have been a perfect opportunity for a relevant OT video featuring our friend JB. Fitting tribute for a day like today marked by the passing of one of your favorite artists... Since I am a good citizen, I won't post.

Get on the Good Foot!
    04-21-16 06:50 PM
113,250 ... 39023903390439053906 ...