View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Let me take a shot at BlackBerry statement! (my own thoughts)

We will not protect anyone who uses our products wrongfully against another human being. BlackBerry believes in making this world a better place for all humanity . BlackBerry will take each request from governing bodies and evaluate the action needed. BlackBerry also will take into account each court order on a one per one basis. BlackBerry believes in protecting your information and keeping the highest security level on such a trust. But BlackBerry will not be part of any wrongdoing.

Hasn't this been what John Chen has been stating. I do not need BlackBerry to clarify any decisions made to clean up the streets.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    morganplus8, Corbu, 3MIKE and 2 others like this.
    04-17-16 10:11 AM
    I do not need BlackBerry to clarify any decisions made to clean up the streets.
    Brand protection is another matter however in my thoughts.
    CDM76, Corbu and 3MIKE like this.
    04-17-16 10:56 AM
    Let me take a shot at BlackBerry statement! (my own thoughts)

We will not protect anyone who uses our products wrongfully against another human being. BlackBerry believes in making this world a better place for all humanity . BlackBerry will take each request from governing bodies and evaluate the action needed. BlackBerry also will take into account each court order on a one per one basis. BlackBerry believes in protecting your information and keeping the highest security level on such a trust. But BlackBerry will not be part of any wrongdoing.

Hasn't this been what John Chen has been stating. I do not need BlackBerry to clarify any decisions made to clean up the streets.

Keep in mind what the most recent "news" implies. It's not whether or not BlackBerry assisted with court orders, it implied that BlackBerry simply handed over the key and they could monitor any and all communications carte blanche. So, indeed, clarification is warranted in this park matter.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-16 11:14 AM
    Brand protection is another matter however in my thoughts.
    True, but BlackBerry image according to this thread and all the news article's is tarnished. I would rather have BlackBerry fighting the good fight instead of a bad one. There is also brand protection there, do we want BlackBerry to be seen as protecting the scum. Apple took that stand and I am sure some have turned away from that product. BlackBerry has nothing to loose with enterprises because it's a different game.

04-17-16 11:19 AM
    Sorry, I want to make sure we're talking about the same matter. Are you talking about pin to pin messaging?
    What CJ said..

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and 3MIKE like this.
    04-17-16 11:24 AM
    Keep in mind what the most recent "news" implies. It's not whether or not BlackBerry assisted with court orders, it implied that BlackBerry simply handed over the key and they could monitor any and all communications carte blanche. So, indeed, clarification is warranted in this park matter.

Posted via CB10
    Unless I missed something, I did not read anything that was a quote from RCMP that said BlackBerry gave them the keys, but instead facilitated in the matter. Also RCMP was always in communication with BlackBerry when they started and ended, to me it was a open door close door situation. But that's my thoughts only.

04-17-16 11:31 AM
    Unless I missed something, I did not read anything that was a quote from RCMP that said BlackBerry gave them the keys, but instead facilitated in the matter.

It's not what you read bbjdog. It's what the rest of the world read, from many hundreds of sources of misinformation.

And not a written word from BlackBerry to correct the false narrative or to clarify what happened. It's not about good guys versus bad guys.
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    04-17-16 11:36 AM
    This is not the first such rumour. BB themselves have said that you should consider these free BBM PIN to PIN messages as "scrambled" and not actually encrypted. Isn't this why they sell BBM Protected for people who want true encryption?

So for the pin to pin stuff, does BB really want to confirm which law enforcement agencies have the single global key? If RCMP does have it (or had it), then does BB really want to clarify (confirm) this?

On the other hand, if BB wants to take the tack of "we don't want criminals abusing our services", then what do they say about BBM Protected then? Criminals can buy BBM Protected and then they do get true end to end encryption, right? So the risk is BB could say we believe in cooperating with LE unless the criminal has paid extra for BBM Protected.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 04-17-16 at 12:12 PM.
    04-17-16 11:41 AM
    Here is the RCMP hacks bs

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04..._water_cooler/

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    kadakn01 likes this.
    04-17-16 12:02 PM
    It's not what you read bbjdog. It's what the rest of the world read, from many hundreds of sources of misinformation.

And not a written word from BlackBerry to correct the false narrative or to clarify what happened. It's not about good guys versus bad guys.
    Bungaboy let's agree to disagree! But I will not add gasoline to a fire!
    Here is what should be said, BlackBerry does not respond to rumors or speculations.

app_Developer and 3MIKE like this.
    04-17-16 12:16 PM
    True, but BlackBerry image according to this thread and all the news article's is tarnished. I would rather have BlackBerry fighting the good fight instead of a bad one. There is also brand protection there, do we want BlackBerry to be seen as protecting the scum. Apple took that stand and I am sure some have turned away from that product. BlackBerry has nothing to loose with enterprises because it's a different game.

As I read this I started to wonder if DoJ and FBI will continue using iPhones or maybe switch to something a little more PRIVate ? Just a curiosity.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    04-17-16 12:23 PM
    As I read this I started to wonder if DoJ and FBI will continue using iPhones or maybe switch to something a little more PRIVate ? Just a curiosity.

Posted via CB10
    I'm assuming they are using BES12, in that case it's a preference choice, so BlackBerry needs to make a good deal. Why not Priv if it gives them a complete package.

CDM76 likes this.
    04-17-16 12:47 PM
    OT: BREAKING NEWS, DOHA meeting ends without agreement..tomorrow will be rocky

Posted via CB10
    Jahcure likes this.
    04-17-16 01:03 PM
    So, if we lived in a just world, the crooks would go to jail, right?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/goldm...b_9673214.html

It's no wonder why there are vigilantes.

But it's all good. We will all have a laugh, and forget about any ruined lives. Meanwhile, people are going to jail for reefer possession.

And this stance against big money must just get Sanders the presidency. He's the best of the lot on both sides. That's not saying much.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-16 01:24 PM
    some info on BBRY investment Nanthealth (they invested around April 2014)
    10 most valuable., still no idea on how much their investment is worth, but acts like an option in the sense that the payoff could be huge, or not much

https://tech.co/most-valuable-health...artups-2016-04
    04-17-16 02:50 PM
    04-17-16 06:42 PM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20160418_092234.png

I like that CEO chen is looking at more licensing deals for their OS, or parts thereof.... Anyway, if anyone can turn this thing around, it's him....

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen, 3MIKE and 1 others like this.
    04-17-16 07:31 PM
    For you, world traveler, as I can't recall if that WSJ piece had been posted here:

April 1, 2016

WATERLOO, Ontario— BlackBerry Ltd.’s focus on mobile-device software and services paid off for the smartphone maker in its latest quarter, but an almost 30% drop in revenue underscores its struggles to revive its handset business.

The Canadian company has been working to reinvent itself as a maker of higher-margin secure software and services for governments and businesses after falling far behind Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. in the consumer smartphone market. In an attempt to win back some handset customers, BlackBerry focused its device sales on enterprise customers.

The latest results raise questions about that approach. Smartphone sales continued to fall even after the November launch of the Android-powered Priv phone, a device aimed at a broader audience by incorporating the security features of BlackBerry’s older phones alongside the greater number of social media and entertainment apps available through Google play store.

BlackBerry shares fell 7.5% to $7.48 on Friday.

The company said sales from software and services more than doubled to $153 million in its latest period, bringing their total to $527 million for the fiscal year ended Feb. 29. That surpassed the company’s $500 million target. Still, the company’s overall revenue for the quarter declined to $464 million, missing both analyst expectations and the company’s guidance.

“Software was clearly the highlight for the quarter,” BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen said on the company’s earnings call. “We are increasing both scale and gaining market share.”

BlackBerry, whose portfolio of software includes technology used to secure companies’ mobile networks and a product used for crisis communication, said more than 3,600 new and existing clients signed up for software offerings in the quarter. It expects the segment to generate 30% revenue growth in the current fiscal year.

Mr. Chen acknowledged that device sales volume fell short of expectations but said he remains confident that cost-cutting and broadening distribution of the Priv will help make the smartphone business profitable. BlackBerry also aims to license out its security-based Android operating system, or parts of it, he said.

BlackBerry said it recognized revenue on 600,000 smartphones in the quarter, down from 700,000 in the third quarter. The average selling price for the phones was $315, in line with the prior quarter.

Mr. Chen attributed the disappointing handset sales in part to slowing demand for high-end smartphones, where it competes with Apple’s iPhone 6s and Samsung’s Galaxy S6 Edge. BlackBerry said it is considering a less-expensive Android-based phone, but it will also face stiff competition in this midmarket segment, underscored by Apple’s move last month to launch a lower-price iPhone.

BlackBerry “has got to make a decision” this year on the fate of the handset business, said Ken Dulaney, analyst at Gartner Research. “There is no material benefit going with BlackBerry hardware over Samsung or Apple today, and the FBI-Apple case…taught us the security of an iPhone is pretty darn good.”

Priv sales suffered in the latest period partly because contract negotiations with Verizon Wireless held back the launch of the device by the U.S. carrier. To help bolster distribution, BlackBerry said it would expand the number of countries where the device is sold beyond the current 34. It recently launched in Japan, with Mexico coming next. The company also plans to work more closely with carriers to sell the device to enterprise customers, Mr. Chen said.

“I truly believe that we are very close in being able to break even or start to make money in device[s],” Mr. Chen said.

BlackBerry closed out fiscal 2016 with a fourth-quarter net loss of $238 million, or 45 cents a share, compared with a year-earlier profit of $28 million, or 5 cents a share. Adjusted to exclude items, it lost 3 cents a share, beating analyst expectations.
    BlackBerry Revenue Drops as Handset Troubles Continue - WSJ
    04-17-16 07:53 PM
    Forgive me for quoting my own post, but here is a good example of a proper initial attempt at a reaction by BlackBerry, I believe. Limited and won't get much traction but at least, swift and to the point. We need more of this. Remaining overly discreet is not always appropriate:

04-17-16 08:58 PM
    FWIW:
    Nikkei down 3% ATM
    Oil down 4.5%
    3MIKE and bungaboy like this.
    04-17-16 09:22 PM
    FWIW:
    Nikkei down 3% ATM
    Oil down 4.5%
    The collapsed deal of OPEC?
    04-17-16 09:40 PM
    The collapsed deal of OPEC?
    Yup. Most probably. In the case of Oil. As for Nik, not sure. China only down 1.3%.
    04-17-16 09:41 PM
    BlackBerry (BBRY) CEO Chen Comments on Privacy Report; Says BES Server Not Involved

April 18, 2016 9:40 AM

BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) CEO John Chen posted the following to the company's official blog on Monday:

Protecting customer privacy is a core BlackBerry principle

When it comes to doing the right thing in difficult situations, BlackBerry�s guiding principle has been to do what is right for the citizenry, within legal and ethical boundaries. We have long been clear in our stance that tech companies as good corporate citizens should comply with reasonable lawful access requests. I have stated before that we are indeed in a dark place when companies put their reputations above the greater good.

This very belief was put to the test in an old case that recently resurfaced in the news, which speculated on and challenged BlackBerry�s corporate and ethical principles. In the end, the case resulted in a major criminal organization being dismantled. Regarding BlackBerry�s assistance, I can reaffirm that we stood by our lawful access principles. Furthermore, at no point was BlackBerry�s BES server involved. Our BES continues to be impenetrable � also without the ability for backdoor access � and is the most secure mobile platform for managing all mobile devices. That�s why we are the gold standard in government and enterprise-grade security.

For BlackBerry, there is a balance between doing what�s right, such as helping to apprehend criminals, and preventing government abuse of invading citizen�s privacy, including when we refused to give Pakistan access to our servers. We have been able to find this balance even as governments have pressured us to change our ethical grounds. Despite these pressures, our position has been unwavering and our actions are proof we commit to these principles.

Posted on my Priv
    04-18-16 09:06 AM
    JC editorial om the company blog..

Posted via CB10
    04-18-16 09:06 AM
    BlackBerry (BBRY) CEO Chen Comments on Privacy Report; Says BES Server Not Involved

April 18, 2016 9:40 AM

BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) CEO John Chen posted the following to the company's official blog on Monday:

Protecting customer privacy is a core BlackBerry principle

When it comes to doing the right thing in difficult situations, BlackBerry�s guiding principle has been to do what is right for the citizenry, within legal and ethical boundaries. We have long been clear in our stance that tech companies as good corporate citizens should comply with reasonable lawful access requests. I have stated before that we are indeed in a dark place when companies put their reputations above the greater good.

This very belief was put to the test in an old case that recently resurfaced in the news, which speculated on and challenged BlackBerry�s corporate and ethical principles. In the end, the case resulted in a major criminal organization being dismantled. Regarding BlackBerry�s assistance, I can reaffirm that we stood by our lawful access principles. Furthermore, at no point was BlackBerry�s BES server involved. Our BES continues to be impenetrable � also without the ability for backdoor access � and is the most secure mobile platform for managing all mobile devices. That�s why we are the gold standard in government and enterprise-grade security.

For BlackBerry, there is a balance between doing what�s right, such as helping to apprehend criminals, and preventing government abuse of invading citizen�s privacy, including when we refused to give Pakistan access to our servers. We have been able to find this balance even as governments have pressured us to change our ethical grounds. Despite these pressures, our position has been unwavering and our actions are proof we commit to these principles.

Posted on my Priv
    A lot better then what I wrote! That's why I leave it to the pros to take care of the matter. Cheers!

Corbu, Mr BBRY, kadakn01 and 2 others like this.
    04-18-16 09:19 AM
113,256 ... 38973898389939003901 ...