View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Well, I guess it's chart time since it's been a pretty crazy week. Although the ER gave less than stellar stock action, and disappointing phone sales, I think this sell off has been overdone, and based on todays action, in a negative tape, BBRY seems to feel the same way. Once again, I haven't drawn any new lines, so you can see how the levels are firmly in place as it flirts with each as it makes a new leg. This is the 3 minute chart going back to Friday.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2016-04-08-5.04.43-pm.png
    Corbu, rarsen, La Emperor and 7 others like this.
    04-08-16 04:05 PM
    Let me guess, you have shares in Apple or you carry an iPhone? because the ii stands out! Morgan is a team player and that stands for something. By the way, I haven't read your post, because it seems you are eager to prove something. End of the conversation!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    No, I don't own Apple or an iPhone. I have a BlackBerry Passport. Have a nice weekend.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4086547) and techvisor like this.
    04-08-16 04:46 PM
    So, this analyst points out that BlackBerry is trying to do mobile security on platforms that they don't own. That means that since Apple and Google are constantly trying to improve the security of their respective mobile platforms, BlackBerry will always be trying to convince potential customers that they can add additional security.

It's like being in the Windows antivirus or tweaking software business. The giant company that owns the platform is constantly trying to make your product obsolete. Perhaps you believe BlackBerry has all sorts of security expertise that Google, Microsoft, and Apple do not have. Is that a sustainable competitive advantage? Where are the major antivirus companies now?

As the analyst put it, BlackBerry lacks any anchor - some kind of core technology that they can dominate a category with. One could claim that QNX is that anchor, however, we have yet to see anything revolutionary that has come of it. It seems like a technology in search of a great application. It certainly isn't in any position to exploit it compared to the much larger competitors in every area. If the market begins to realize this then the stock price will be drifting downward.
    Well, to be very simplistic and avoir a huge technical OT, let's simply say that none of their competitors (devices makers) succeed into the offering of a robust and proved security solution alone.
    Only the addition or absorption of thrid party security software makers made their device available for the 'secure' market with a securyty *layer* V.S embedded security.
    Not only did BlackBerry acquire by maths the indisputable #1 position (MDM/EMM) but also ready-to-use technical skills and apps they didn't have for others platform before the 'platform agnostic' era began.

Your analogy with AV software is not spot on either IMHO
    It's not about detecting, blocking and removing threats. It's about making them slip on the iron walls raised around anything (imagine you try to walk bear foot on a greased cylinder).
    And that's why the end to end is so important.
    However one wants to trick it: you'll NEVER be as safe than a end to end option, from the inner chip (the unique ID assigned, aka 'hardware root of trust') to the network to the back-end (BES and associated services).

No soldering on their titanium cylinder. No door.
    Like a sign : you'd better try something else because something's certain : we're not the weaker part. And at the end of the day that's what spies and hackers look for : the easiest entry point. Believe me, they won't even consider BlackBerry as a target unless all the other options are exhausted, including physical threat and blackmail.

But WS doesn't care about how long a 'mantra' like this has been proven true. They're obsessed with the number of 'new', 'revolutionary' occurrences they find in $BIL. unicorns' pitch.
    They ignore the only metric that should be considered for security : how many times have you been compromised. AFAIK, for BlackBerry in its secure setup : never.

What's BlackBerry's anchor ?
    Well if unclear, there's nothing I can do...

P.S: and yes, that's summarised to the max, despite the number of words I've thrown above !
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-08-16 at 05:25 PM.
    04-08-16 05:06 PM
    No, I don't own Apple or an iPhone. I have a BlackBerry Passport. Have a nice weekend.

Posted via CB10
    Saying anything slightly negative about BlackBerry will get you branded an Apple lover haha.

Guys we're all fans and shareholders here. We have our own money involved in this company and are allowed to be critical of it when we see it doing poorly again and again.
    04-08-16 05:15 PM
    LAST CALL.
    Stop going personal.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-08-16 05:21 PM
    Saying anything slightly negative about BlackBerry will get you branded an Apple lover haha.

Guys we're all fans and shareholders here. We have our own money involved in this company and are allowed to be critical of it when we see it doing poorly again and again.
    I need a time out SF! in regards to your posts (ziggy) as of lately! two single words comes to my mind.
    morganplus8, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    04-08-16 05:33 PM
    It's the weekend.
    Quit screens and enjoy family and friends !
    Nothing else needed, sun will rise on Monday as per usual

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    04-08-16 05:34 PM
    It's the weekend.
    Quit screens and enjoy family and friends !
    Nothing else needed, sun will rise on Monday as per usual

Posted via CB10
    I will take your wise words! Have a good weekend.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-08-16 05:40 PM
    We have our own money involved in this company and are allowed to be critical of it when we see it doing poorly again and again.
    And the comments on this are done over and over again. We don't control the agenda, Chen does. He doesn't come over to this forum for advice. If you are a long term investor, a value investor, a trader, you come here, I would think, to discuss news or information beneficial to your particular investing strategy. Ranting, even if muted, serves no purpose. I'm here for sharing information and insight and the people who populate this forum have, for the most part, been stellar in that regard.
    04-08-16 06:30 PM
    Also: Google won't allow it.

BlackBerry is stalling the 10.3.3 update because it will remove the ability to run Android applications. 10.3.4 will for sure.
    So a phone which runs both Android and BB10? Google will have John Chen executed before that happens: i.e. never
    This is nonsense. 10.3.3 is simply mainly a security update(NIAP compliance), ie no significant features added nor features removed. Why it isn't out yet I don't know anymore but the beta program didn't start until earlier this year, which is only recently.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-08-16 11:12 PM

...P.S: and yes, that's summarised to the max, despite the number of words I've thrown above !
    Posted via CB10
    I heard some 'mooing' in there, but well said man!

3MIKE, Superfly_FR and Mr BBRY like this.
    04-09-16 02:23 AM
    OT: Making history
    04-09-16 07:39 AM
    Vote!
    Poll of the week: which messenger do you use?
    Umfrage der Woche: Welchen Messenger nutzt ihr?
    3MIKE, morganplus8, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    04-09-16 10:31 AM
    Vote!
    Poll of the week: which messenger do you use?
    Umfrage der Woche: Welchen Messenger nutzt ihr?
    Surprise, surprise, you have to be a dummkopf to use iMessage in Germany. BBM is really doing well though. Good find, you can see voting in real-time on that site.
    Corbu, bungaboy, 3MIKE and 2 others like this.
    04-09-16 11:27 AM
    OT: Making history
    The future is solar power, electric cars (with Lithium batteries for now or near future) and everything powered by QNX. Would be nice to see Chen having talks with Musk.
    Just daydreaming of course!
    04-09-16 11:35 AM
    So, since the Priv sold about as well as the Passport, it indicates that Apps or lack thereof might not have been the main reason for the low numbers, which means that BB10 might be as viable as Android on BlackBerry. I think that it�s too early to kill BB10. Before they do that, they need to figure out the reason why people are not buying BlackBerry phones (besides the fans such as us). How many Privs would they have sold if it was 'Samsung Priv'? Or 'iPhone Priv.' Advertising the devises at this point might not be the best us of money, perhaps they should advertise the Brand or reBrand?

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, ZayDub, 3MIKE and 6 others like this.
    04-09-16 11:52 AM
    I think the price of the Priv is the primary thing holding it back.

Starting at $700 means it is very hard to build momentum for that product.

I'm a buyer at $250 to $300, which means waiting a few more months for the right ebay auction...

Tom
    04-09-16 12:38 PM
    Before they do that, they need to figure out the reason why people are not buying BlackBerry phones (besides the fans such as us). How many Privs would they have sold if it was 'Samsung Priv'? Or 'iPhone Priv.' Advertising the devises at this point might not be the best us of money, perhaps they should advertise the Brand or reBrand?
    Great point.

Perhaps because after years of bashing in the media (and, TBH, errors by management, etc.), the brand is generally perceived as "dead", "pass�e" or "your father's phone" by most. And most people don't want to associate with a "dead" brand, irrespective of the product. As you say, they could benefit from either rebranding or giving the brand some new luster. It would hurt neither their approach to Enterprise nor their general perception by customers. Question is: how do you do that efficiently, on a low budget? It must be possible.
    kadakn01, 3MIKE, CDM76 and 5 others like this.
    04-09-16 12:51 PM
    Those are really interesting points, current Priv salescould provide a good indicator that it is not apps which keep consumers from buying. I also disagree with Chen and BBRYs management that it was the Priv�s higher cost that kept buyers away. Though I can�t exactly agree that advertising is not the best way to spend money, at this point. Advertising works. Advertising is persuading the buyer to take their money out of their wallet, purse, credit card, bitcoin, etc.; and to give it to you in exchange for what it is they want. Consumers have to be shown what they want because they don�t even know it themselves. Fact, I was at the service center the other day getting routine maintenance on my car, well, I overheard a person telling a salesman that he was working six jobs to drive the car he wanted. That is what advertising does, and it works. Product, pricing, placement, promotion. But you can�t determine a profitable price, if you don�t have all the other stuff figured out already. I think Chen is trying to drive meaningful improvement in revenue through B2B software. I think what he wants is to have this stream of cash flow worked out before taking any risks on advertising. The consumer market is riskier than business to business. In other words, we're going to have to be patient a little bit longer before we see BlackBerry hosting SBSW concerts or building sized adverts of whatever future BB-1X device.
    Andy_bb_king, bungaboy and ZayDub like this.
    04-09-16 12:53 PM
    Great point.

Perhaps because after years of bashing in the media (and, TBH, errors by management, etc.), the brand is generally perceived as "dead", "pass�e" or "your father's phone" by most. And most people don't want to associate with a "dead" brand, irrespective of the product. As you say, they could benefit from either rebranding or giving the brand some new luster. It would hurt neither their approach to Enterprise nor their general perception by customers. Question is: how do you do that efficiently, on a low budget? It must be possible.
    I guess an economical and potentially effective strategy is 'Samsung Priv'. Share the profits and get free advertising, user base, and brand recognition.
    04-09-16 01:06 PM
    I guess an economical and potentially effective strategy is 'Samsung Priv'. Share the profits and get free advertising, user base, and brand recognition.
    Have a look at Walmart:

BlackBerry Priv STV100-1 GSM Slider Android Smartphone (Unlocked) - Walmart.com

It's a five day delivery for any of these phones, the question is, "why are we offering so many phones in the first place?". They had 4 comments when the phone was first offered and they have the same four comments today. Let's move on here as this system isn't working.

I still think the HW division should be spun off to an American subsidiary with all that comes with a native location. In Canada, our publicly traded companies carry a lower P/E ratio, aren't protected by the OSC at all and are often raided by hedge funds. Let BlackBerry supply software solutions for everyone and carry a high multiple like other best of breed, leading sector companies that are growing organically at a rate 10% higher than their peers. Then world_traveler would get his money back, we would still have our foot in the door on HW and everyone would be happy. Someone else needs to take hold of the HW division and make it their own, i.e. PROFITABLE! To your point, it isn't the OS that killed HW its the lack of direction regarding how to bring a phone to market. I'll say it again, a Passport/Classic hybrid with duel sim and duel OS and I will buy spares in case the world comes to an end and they disappear. At $ 399.00 they could sell millions via online only.
    _dimi_, CDM76, bungaboy and 8 others like this.
    04-09-16 01:53 PM

I'm a buyer at $250 to $300, which means waiting a few more months for the right ebay auction...

Tom
    250-300 is unrealistic for this device. But at $500 I'm in for one ! Unfortunately if they were a $500 device, currently, BlackBerry would loose (even more) money on them.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, Corbu and rarsen like this.
    04-09-16 02:02 PM
    I'm trying to understand what people in this thread consider reasonable and why. I'd like to have a rational discussion about value of BBRY. If this isn't the right thread for that discussion, then maybe we can do this in another thread I guess

So there is about USD 2.75 there in net cash, right? So where does your other $10+ come from?
    OK.
    We got few streams here.
    - cash - which is at almost 3$ in share price.
    - hardware (tanks, but still quite reasonable at the moment) - needs evaluation
    - BBM - ok, you cannot compare it with the time when Whatsapp sold itself to Facebook for billions and billions (paying 20 USD/per user, I believe), but with 100M user base (as declared by BBRY), it should be quite significant I believe. value? maybe 500M?
    - Software (EMM/MDM). It should be not that easy to evaluate, but for comparison you could look at MobileIron. They got much smaller marketshare (BBRY + Good is the king now), their financial situation is horrible (burning cash in epic rates, where quarterly/yearly statements say "generate losses without projection into the profit (!!!)") vs BBRY's making money and cash) - but MOBL marcap is ~400 MUSD (and sliding down though), so BBRY's this business should be 1+ BnUSD at least. unless you can back-up different point of view.
    - Intellectual property portfolio. it should be hard to evaluate that - but this is HUGE asset. few Bn USD at least.

add up.
    04-09-16 02:12 PM
    250-300 is unrealistic for this device. But at $500 I'm in for one ! Unfortunately if they were a $500 device, currently, BlackBerry would loose (even more) money on them.

Posted via CB10
    Not so fast, I completely agree with you but we know that component costs drop too so it is fair to say that the cost to build a PRIV back in September is nothing like it is today. They just need to stop wasting time with carriers and go to the public directly and have the dam phones available on launch day. A $ 400 - $ 500 buck phone that I can get 4 days after it launches would have me ordering ASAP. Give it to me.
    bungaboy, KuroKei, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    04-09-16 02:15 PM

Tom
    to be honest, I will never ever pay 300+ GBP for the phone as I did with passport. Especially for Android.

you can get really good specifications Android (namely Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, Note 2) for less than HALF the price. load up all BBRY apps - and Voila! you got same android (as android is just android) but without hardware keyboard (which is the only no go to android now for me).

why to pay more?
    04-09-16 02:19 PM
113,250 ... 38883889389038913892 ...