View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    04-08-16 12:55 PM
    That is on topic. BBRY should be valued by the same metrics as their peers, but they're not.
    But the consensus on this thread seems to be that MOBL is overvalued, right? So if BBRY were similarly valued, then we would agree that BBRY would also be overvalued at that point?

My original question is why people think BBRY is so cheap at $7. I don't see it being particularly cheap at all, if they continue to hang onto hardware.

But let's say they don't. We're looking at software/service rev of about $1.80 - $2.00 per share by end of FY2017, let's say. You've got $2.75 in cash. How is $7 today "dirt cheap" as someone said earlier?

I think if you can eliminate the risk around hardware, then you might say $9 or even $10, but then at that level it's not exactly cheap, is it?
    sati01 likes this.
    04-08-16 01:03 PM
    Thanks but no thanks!

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    3MIKE likes this.
    04-08-16 01:03 PM
    Can you take a moment away from constantly bashing "I Support BBRY and Buy Shares" members and post a link to Chen saying he is bringing two mid-priced phones to market this year?
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-ceo...android-phones

No comment.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    04-08-16 01:05 PM
    Why do they wants BlackBerry to get out of hardware business? What is their motivation?
    They need to keep their hardware business for embedded devices...

OT: where is Therock btw?

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    3MIKE likes this.
    04-08-16 01:07 PM
    How about you start with MOBL first then. Explain to us why they are targeted at 7. When you have chased your tail for hours/days/weeks and have become exhausted in your quest, there your answer will be.
    Well said Bacon!

What is so hard for a few "members" to understand here is the simple fact that, .... if you come to a thread where the theme is all about "investing in BBRY", you probably shouldn't insult those members who actually own the stock and then expect to find a response to a fundamental question that you can't, but should know how to answer in the first place. Recently, we had a poster sign up for CB on earnings morning and start bashing the heck out of BlackBerry and John Chen himself as if that poster has a clue what they are talking about. So don't be surprised if no one on this thread wants to engage with you!

No, we won't tell you when to buy the stock, no, we won't tell you what the valuation is, no, we won't answer your questions.

Thanks Bacon.
    cjcampbell, Corbu, _dimi_ and 12 others like this.
    04-08-16 01:07 PM
    So, this analyst points out that BlackBerry is trying to do mobile security on platforms that they don't own. That means that since Apple and Google are constantly trying to improve the security of their respective mobile platforms, BlackBerry will always be trying to convince potential customers that they can add additional security.

It's like being in the Windows antivirus or tweaking software business. The giant company that owns the platform is constantly trying to make your product obsolete. Perhaps you believe BlackBerry has all sorts of security expertise that Google, Microsoft, and Apple do not have. Is that a sustainable competitive advantage? Where are the major antivirus companies now?

As the analyst put it, BlackBerry lacks any anchor - some kind of core technology that they can dominate a category with. One could claim that QNX is that anchor, however, we have yet to see anything revolutionary that has come of it. It seems like a technology in search of a great application. It certainly isn't in any position to exploit it compared to the much larger competitors in every area. If the market begins to realize this then the stock price will be drifting downward.
    I don't think that's a fair comparison. BlackBerry isn't trying to secure their device, they're trying to secure their information. Even if Apple secures the iPhone, the transmission of information is out of their hands. Even if Google secures their device, the apps requiring access to files and folders will have access to what could be sensitive information. BlackBerry offers a very different product than a simple virus protection or device security app. It doesn't do either of those. It does information security, which is why they have customers.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, Corbu, W Hoa and 9 others like this.
    04-08-16 01:08 PM
    I bought shares a few weeks back and now plan to buy more. My new Priv works very well, so I expect that the new lower priced secure android phones will sell very well and be profitable.
    04-08-16 01:23 PM
    Well said Bacon!

What is so hard for a few "members" to understand here is the simple fact that, .... if you come to a thread where the theme is all about "investing in BBRY", you probably shouldn't insult those members who actually own the stock and then expect to find a response to a fundamental question that you can't, but should know how to answer in the first place. Recently, we had a poster sign up for CB on earnings morning and start bashing the heck out of BlackBerry and John Chen himself as if that poster has a clue what they are talking about. So don't be surprised if no one on this thread wants to engage with you!

No, we won't tell you when to buy the stock, no, we won't tell you what the valuation is, no, we won't answer your questions.

Thanks Bacon.
    And with respect, NO ONE* in this thread, despite innumerable charts and detailed, sophisticated analyses, predicted we would be sitting at $7 right now. Anyone who has a load of time on their hands can go ahead and review past posts and find plenty of predictions that we will rally from here, and rally from there, and get back to $10 no problem, etc., etc.

Let's try to be honest with ourselves and respectful and tolerant of our differing views and benefit from one another's arguments and opinions. All the best to everyone. In other news, looks like we've got some (Android) devices to look forward to...

*no one who wasn't called a troll or paid mercenary

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 01:30 PM
    Reading material

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/04/...ay-be-missing/

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    04-08-16 01:37 PM
    But the consensus on this thread seems to be that MOBL is overvalued, right? So if BBRY were similarly valued, then we would agree that BBRY would also be overvalued at that point?

My original question is why people think BBRY is so cheap at $7. I don't see it being particularly cheap at all, if they continue to hang onto hardware.

But let's say they don't. We're looking at software/service rev of about $1.80 - $2.00 per share by end of FY2017, let's say. You've got $2.75 in cash. How is $7 today "dirt cheap" as someone said earlier?

I think if you can eliminate the risk around hardware, then you might say $9 or even $10, but then at that level it's not exactly cheap, is it?
    Lot of the answers you will find in your theory, example would be without hardware they are valued more. Now take that and add the potential for hardware rebound. The market never values something at today's price, that's why we have x??

04-08-16 01:45 PM
    I took advantage of their Spring sale, and purchased a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 01:48 PM
    Earlier today I went back and reviewed Faucette's commentary for the past +year. A poor showing if you ask me. I noticed a few similarities:

- He releases his forecast pre-earnings, which is the way to go if you don't want to be held accountable.
    - He knows the business better than JC does. He estimated for many quarters that they would never get to 500 mio without mentioning the handset business
    - Now that JC has proven him wrong (time and time again) with a 30% growth forecast, he is doing channel checks for PRIV again. I thought we were done with that?

All he intends to do is distract/confuse. He must be that insecure about MOBL?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 02:00 PM
    I took advantage of their Spring sale, and purchased a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Just don't touch the Amazon app, if you don't want to give them permission to your files. When an update comes, and you press the button that says no to shared files, the notification for updates will continue to show up everyday. Hoping the update fixes this issue, or BlackBerry fixes it.

OT: Did Apple invent the computer? Did Apple invent the cell phones, did Apple invent the media player, did Apple invent encryption, did Apple invent the current electronic watch, did Apple invent the t.v, did Apple invent anytrhing?

_dimi_, bungaboy and 3MIKE like this.
    04-08-16 02:02 PM
    Thanks for the advice bbjdog

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 02:04 PM
    Thanks for the advice bbjdog

Posted via CB10
    Your welcome Dimi, I am currently suffering from that issue, just because I decided once to try out Amazon. Now I get a notification or two everyday. Cheers.

_dimi_ likes this.
    04-08-16 02:11 PM
    So, this analyst points out that BlackBerry is trying to do mobile security on platforms that they don't own. That means that since Apple and Google are constantly trying to improve the security of their respective mobile platforms, BlackBerry will always be trying to convince potential customers that they can add additional security.

It's like being in the Windows antivirus or tweaking software business. The giant company that owns the platform is constantly trying to make your product obsolete. Perhaps you believe BlackBerry has all sorts of security expertise that Google, Microsoft, and Apple do not have. Is that a sustainable competitive advantage? Where are the major antivirus companies now?

As the analyst put it, BlackBerry lacks any anchor - some kind of core technology that they can dominate a category with. One could claim that QNX is that anchor, however, we have yet to see anything revolutionary that has come of it. It seems like a technology in search of a great application. It certainly isn't in any position to exploit it compared to the much larger competitors in every area. If the market begins to realize this then the stock price will be drifting downward.
    I don't think that's a fair comparison. BlackBerry isn't trying to secure their device, they're trying to secure their information. Even if Apple secures the iPhone, the transmission of information is out of their hands. Even if Google secures their device, the apps requiring access to files and folders will have access to what could be sensitive information. BlackBerry offers a very different product than a simple virus protection or device security app. It doesn't do either of those. It does information security, which is why they have customers.

What CJ said. BlackBerry provides a secure container. The customer places apps the customer trusts inside the container along with their data. BlackBerry then provides the end-to-end encryption so the data stays protected at rest and in transit. Doesn't really matter what the OS provider does on the outside because that data isn't being secured by BlackBerry.

People find it easy to take pot shots at BlackBerry because they don't understand BlackBerry's products or it's value proposition or they purposely choose not to educate themselves. After all, ignorance is bliss. Most of the people bullish on BlackBerry understand the company, it's products and it's value proposition.

What most of the BlackBerry bulls failed (or forgot) to realize is 1) how strong people's desire is to stay ignorant or oblivious, or in the case of certain analysts, blatantly dishonest, and 2) the sheer number of those people far outnumber the bulls.
    04-08-16 02:18 PM
    And with respect, NO ONE* in this thread, despite innumerable charts and detailed, sophisticated analyses, predicted we would be sitting at $7 right now. Anyone who has a load of time on their hands can go ahead and review past posts and find plenty of predictions that we will rally from here, and rally from there, and get back to $10 no problem, etc., etc.

Let's try to be honest with ourselves and respectful and tolerant of our differing views and benefit from one another's arguments and opinions. All the best to everyone. In other news, looks like we've got some (Android) devices to look forward to...

*no one who wasn't called a troll or paid mercenary

Posted via CB10
    Have you made me a single penny with your posts? Morgan has! For example HALO, from the single digits to the double digits. So have many of the contributors on this thread. I will repeat myself (which I don't like to, because I'm no preacher) respect is earned and not given away like candy.!

P.S. I use to have respect for BungaBoy, but lately I have come to the realization that he is a bad influence on me. LOL mate.

Last edited by bbjdog; 04-08-16 at 02:38 PM.
    04-08-16 02:27 PM
    Have you made me a single penny with your posts? Morgan has! For example HALO, from the single digits to the double digits. So have many of the contributors on this thread. I will repeat myself (which I don't like to, because I'm no preacher) respect is earned and not given away like candy.!

P.S. I use to have respect for BungaBoy, but lately I have come to the realization that he is a bad influence on me. LOL mate.

I agree on all points!

And thank goodness for Edmondsuk Oilers or the Leafs would have locked up last place in the whole league!
    04-08-16 02:41 PM
    Trip Chowdrey has been not been very accurate in his calls and his comments about BBRY don't have me concerned. See the link about his call in AAPL a few years back! http://fortune.com/2013/07/07/how-wr...le-analyst-be/

And then more recently on AAPL

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/global...152639710.html

And then on BBRY just last year shows he was wrong on BBRY then (or maybe right?). This guy confuses the heck outta me.

http://m.benzinga.com/article/529853...B9ozCUm69nhVbQ

There are so many more completely wrong calls and links, but I think the main thing is let's be patient, JC will succeed.
    Last edited by kadakn01; 04-08-16 at 02:58 PM.
    04-08-16 02:44 PM
    I agree on all points!

And thank goodness for Edmondsuk Oilers or the Leafs would have locked up last place in the whole league!
    Funny!!!!!

I predicted they would be the Cinderella team and I was right! First from the bottom. Lol

When they should lose a game, they win instead. What a hopeless dream. Lol

bungaboy likes this.
    04-08-16 02:58 PM
    @kadakn01, JC will succeed on the software side. Question remains: will his team finally gets their game plan right on the HW side so they can have volume and profit from the Android line to sustain the continuation of BB10 line?
    04-08-16 03:19 PM

I'm up over 200% on BB since 2013 (before fees). I bought at about $6 when everyone thought the sky was falling, and then bought a bunch more at about $8 a number of months later. I sold everything at a little over $12 some time the following year. Since then, I've bought and sold a couple more times, buying at about $10 and selling at a little over $13 and finally at $12.50 or so. Obviously, you can doubt that or think I'm lying, but I thought I'd respond.

At present, I own zero shares, but have cash sitting there in my account, waiting for a green light. For me, it just isn't visible at the moment. I know very little about reading charts and personally don't believe in them anyway, so I am not going to claim to be an expert on reading the subtle complications of the 'market'. I feel I've been able to learn more by looking in shops and paying attention to what people are typing on during the morning commute. One of my simple investing observations is that people in groups tend to 'oversteer', and so I've tended to buy when I felt that momentum had pushed a price too high or low based on human emotion to be maintained. I'm sure I've also just been a bit lucky.

I don't know anything about HALO, but judging by comments in here, it seems quite a few people have not laughed themselves to the bank on BB or BBRY just yet. You don't have to take my advice at all...and that shouldn't be hard because I don't give it. Personally, I will seriously considering buying a large number of shares if the SP dips below $5.75 after the next ER, or if these upcoming 'mid-range' devices look like good products, priced attractively in relation to their specs. I suspect they will most likely be good products not priced attractively in relation to their specs. We will see.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    04-08-16 03:36 PM
    What is BB10 adoption at right now, less than 0.5% of the market? Wouldn't it be considered a bad business strategy to continue a failed product?

It would be giant waste of capital. HW has to move forward with Android and stop trying to revive the past.

We'll see where these rumoured new android devices take us. At the end of that road, if things aren't any different, I doubt BlackBerry HW would be around for much longer.

A decision has to be made. I would rather see BlackBerry survive as a profitable SW company rather than a struggling SW+HW company.
    04-08-16 03:40 PM
    I'm up over 200% on BB since 2013 (before fees). I bought at about $6 when everyone thought the sky was falling, and then bought a bunch more at about $8 a number of months later. I sold everything at a little over $12 some time the following year. Since then, I've bought and sold a couple more times, buying at about $10 and selling at a little over $13 and finally at $12.50 or so. Obviously, you can doubt that or think I'm lying, but I thought I'd respond.

At present, I own zero shares, but have cash sitting there in my account, waiting for a green light. For me, it just isn't visible at the moment. I know very little about reading charts and personally don't believe in them anyway, so I am not going to claim to be an expert on reading the subtle complications of the 'market'. I feel I've been able to learn more by looking in shops and paying attention to what people are typing on during the morning commute. One of my simple investing observations is that people in groups tend to 'oversteer', and so I've tended to buy when I felt that momentum had pushed a price too high or low based on human emotion to be maintained. I'm sure I've also just been a bit lucky.

I don't know anything about HALO, but judging by comments in here, it seems quite a few people have not laughed themselves to the bank on BB or BBRY just yet. You don't have to take my advice at all...and that shouldn't be hard because I don't give it. Personally, I will seriously considering buying a large number of shares if the SP dips below $5.75 after the next ER, or if these upcoming 'mid-range' devices look like good products, priced attractively in relation to their specs. I suspect they will most likely be good products not priced attractively in relation to their specs. We will see.

Posted via CB10
    Let me guess, you have shares in Apple or you carry an iPhone? because the ii stands out! Morgan is a team player and that stands for something. By the way, I haven't read your post, because it seems you are eager to prove something. End of the conversation!

Last edited by bbjdog; 04-08-16 at 04:04 PM.
    rarsen, La Emperor, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    04-08-16 03:50 PM
113,256 ... 38873888388938903891 ...