View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    It's hard to know what to think of BlackBerry's hardware division.
    The easy solution for profitability would be to give up hardware, but that is short-lived and basically puts them out of any chance of being iconic again. And let's be real, iconic is where the money is.

The hard solution would be to figure out how to make it work. They have tried just about everything, and now we're all discussing (or bashing? Criticizing? ...?) a mid-range Android device. We all know the Leap was no triumph, but there is no evidence that it did poorly either. It was released when BB10 was beginning to be written off by the general public. Heck, even the incredible Passport couldn't sell, despite its praise. Pretty unfair to judge the device under its circumstances.

Comparing a mid-range Android to the Leap is apples/oranges. It's no secret that enterprises are opening up to Android. BlackBerry thought they could be a solution to enterprise by offering the Priv, but realistically, it's too expensive. It did, however, set a precedence for what enterprise-grade Android could be. A mid-range Android phone with BlackBerry features could be more attractive to enterprises looking to buy in bulk. I say it's worth a shot.

If it does come to fruition, BlackBerry truly has everything on the market (high/low BB10, high/low Android). If they can make that proposition profitable (or at least break-even), it gives them a building block to try to grow hardware sales without the financial burden.
    04-07-16 07:57 PM
    Off-topic, but really important to me.
    Who noticed that BlackBerry has changed its official logo on Facebook and Twitter?.
    Why? any idea?
    Why is it Blueberry now?
    fanBBRY likes this.
    04-07-16 08:27 PM
    Off-topic, but really important to me.
    Who noticed that BlackBerry has changed its official logo on Facebook and Twitter?.
    Why? any idea?
    Why is it Blueberry now?
    I would not know, don't use data collection sites with one exception CB and this thread.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    CDM76 and bungaboy like this.
    04-07-16 08:42 PM
    The BlackBerry Passport has the snapdragon 801. That is the only SOC that BlackBerry has drivers for.

If they want the Priv to run BB10, they would have to pay Qualcomm to make drivers for BB10 for the 808, which is what the Priv runs.

I don't know what the cost is for the drivers, but it's probably in the millions. BlackBerry is a tiny customer to Qualcomm so they have no incentive to be nice.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the post! I didn't know that. Strategically it seems to makes sense, if they can solve the logistics.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic)
    04-07-16 08:49 PM
    John Chen is doing a good job in building a viable enterprise software and services business (with multiple growth engines and revenue streams) with his enterprise software business experience. However, he cannot use his enterprise angle to sell phones. The HW business started to be in trouble because of the BYOD trend when the business end users have their say. The rumoured midrange Android phone would be the best chance to appeal to the end users again. Instead of rethinking how to push a more affordable phone to the users, the company is retreating to enterprise sales channel. I'm worried that there will not be enough orders for 3 million phones every year from governments, banks and other enterprises that still issue phones for their staff.
    04-07-16 09:09 PM
    04-07-16 09:23 PM
    Interesting!! It is indeed a Blue Berry. Wonder if its just for nothing...
    04-07-16 10:54 PM
    I won't mention the word 'advertising', but Chen's comments are telling. If BlackBerry make a mid-range phone and use the same sales strategy, it won't sell either. It's getting a bit cringe-worthy, really. You can almost hear and see the business bosses trying to let Chen down without hurting his feelings, and he's taking what they say as the truth. Of course people aren't going to buy a $700 phone they aren't sure about and haven't been sold on. Making a mid-range Android won't make any darn difference, because BlackBerry will still price it too high. It'll end up being a $400 phone that the others are essentially selling for $250-300.

Chen's comments are very discouraging. What he needs to do is sell a Priv-standard phone for less than $700. It HAS to be seen as compelling, as a bargain, for people to give it a chance. Lowering the quality is a poor idea. Make high-quality products, and price them at discount prices from Day One. Just like in a supermarket, once people have had a taste and like your product, you can start charging higher prices again.

Posted via CB10
    ^yes !!!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 01:00 AM
    Too bad this doesn't translate into sales numbers.... well of any measurable quantity anyway.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 01:02 AM
    "Xperia by Blackberry"
    "Samsung by Blackberry"

They are security 'hardened', Blackberry suite equipped versions of phones, certified for government or defence use, and of course also in high profile working places. Blackberry gets 50 dollar per phone.

Which is more than they lose per phone if they were to produce them themselves.

Something like that would help the company.

What is the lowest the stock will go next week?
    I want to buy at 6.50 but I need to know it can hit that
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-08-16 02:12 AM
    Interesting!! It is indeed a Blue Berry. Wonder if its just for nothing...
    I did a little checking around because logos are important. The blue logo was in use at the BlackBerry booth at Mobile World Congress (as seen on the video BB put out). I wonder if they have done it to freshen up their logo. It is said that blue is the favorite color of the majority of people and represents confidence and "Blue is the most commonly used color in corporate identity." So perhaps it is not completely off topic to bring it up. Credits for the quotes and info: Blue
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-08-16 02:56 AM
    Hello guys,
    if you saw your post deleted and wonder why, here you go :

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things.
    If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up
    (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules).

Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!

This info was issued a few pages back already, targeting a fraction of contributors, seems the other fraction didn't get the message properly. Let's print it uppercase : DON'T GO PERSONAL. NEVER. JAMAIS. P.S: this includes quoting.

Thanks, and have a great day !!!
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-08-16 at 05:37 AM.
    04-08-16 03:44 AM
    http://recode.net/2016/04/06/yahoo-s...cial-meltdown/

Yahoo is living the 2011 BlackBerry days..
    Corbu, rarsen, La Emperor and 4 others like this.
    04-08-16 05:57 AM
    Some classic love.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/04/...f-her-success/

Corbu, rarsen, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    04-08-16 06:18 AM
    http://recode.net/2016/04/06/yahoo-s...cial-meltdown/

Yahoo is living the 2011 BlackBerry days..
    Yahoo was Google in the days. Who would of thought...

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    04-08-16 06:27 AM
    I'm trying to understand what people in this thread consider reasonable and why. I'd like to have a rational discussion about value of BBRY. If this isn't the right thread for that discussion, then maybe we can do this in another thread I guess

So there is about USD 2.75 there in net cash, right? So where does your other $10+ come from?
    How about you start with MOBL first then. Explain to us why they are targeted at 7. When you have chased your tail for hours/days/weeks and have become exhausted in your quest, there your answer will be.
    3MIKE, morganplus8, _dimi_ and 4 others like this.
    04-08-16 11:11 AM
    How about you start with MOBL first then. Explain to us why they are targeted at 7. When you have chased your tail for hours/days/weeks and have become exhausted in your quest, there your answer will be.
    I don't understand the valuation on MOBL either.

So back on topic, what is a reasonable valuation for BBRY at this point?
    04-08-16 11:16 AM
    Hello guys,
    if you saw your post deleted and wonder why, here you go :

Thanks, and have a great day !!!

Actually SF, I was not surprised at all. I took offense, and acted on it.
    Just keeping you on your toes mate. Thanks for the cleanup.
    Superfly_FR and CDM76 like this.
    04-08-16 11:22 AM

That is on topic. BBRY should be valued by the same metrics as their peers, but they're not.
    04-08-16 11:23 AM

Eleventy-billion.

If you are really into due diligence, just go back a bunch of pages. Plenty of guys have provided numbers before and after ER's.
    morganplus8, rarsen and 3MIKE like this.
    04-08-16 11:25 AM

Ask yourself what the valuation for Good Technology was and is. Then take into account what QNX is worth, continue with SecuSmart, Athoc, Movirtu, and take into consideration what BlackBerry Enterprise was. Now add a potential for HW (no leave that out). Now take into account the silly valuation 'certain ' companies get. There lies your answer.

Mr BBRY and theRock1975 like this.
    04-08-16 11:36 AM
    That is on topic. BBRY should be valued by the same metrics as their peers, but they're not.
    Sure, but one of those factors is always going to be the markets perception of talent and potential. For example, if Jobs were magically to come back to life and take over from Cook, we would see the stock price affected, despite all the 'numbers' being the same. It's never going to be strictly about the numbers.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 and techvisor like this.
    04-08-16 11:38 AM
    BlackBerry just signed a deal with Fast Telecom:

http://www.blackberryclic.com/2016/0...distribuzione/

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, bungaboy, dusdal and 3 others like this.
    04-08-16 12:02 PM
    Even BlackBerry’s attempts to shift to Mobile Security with the acquisition of a company like Good Technology Corp NASDAQGDTC would not “cut it,” Chowdhry commented. He explained that Security is an ongoing effort, and since BlackBerry didn’t own the platform, it would always “struggle to get wide adoption.”
    So, this analyst points out that BlackBerry is trying to do mobile security on platforms that they don't own. That means that since Apple and Google are constantly trying to improve the security of their respective mobile platforms, BlackBerry will always be trying to convince potential customers that they can add additional security.

It's like being in the Windows antivirus or tweaking software business. The giant company that owns the platform is constantly trying to make your product obsolete. Perhaps you believe BlackBerry has all sorts of security expertise that Google, Microsoft, and Apple do not have. Is that a sustainable competitive advantage? Where are the major antivirus companies now?

As the analyst put it, BlackBerry lacks any anchor - some kind of core technology that they can dominate a category with. One could claim that QNX is that anchor, however, we have yet to see anything revolutionary that has come of it. It seems like a technology in search of a great application. It certainly isn't in any position to exploit it compared to the much larger competitors in every area. If the market begins to realize this then the stock price will be drifting downward.
    04-08-16 12:38 PM
    04-08-16 12:43 PM
113,256 ... 38863887388838893890 ...