View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    should be in teens. cash only is like half of the capitalizations at the moment :/
    cash is burning every quarter, not like every shareholder is gonna stop selling because JC has positive margins.
    04-07-16 06:06 AM
    cash is burning every quarter, not like every shareholder is gonna stop selling because JC has positive margins.
    Cash is being used, not burned. And every quarter, cash is being added.

Posted via CB10
    yessuz, bungaboy, Corbu and 12 others like this.
    04-07-16 06:27 AM
    Reading material

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/04/...o-indonesians/

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    bungaboy, Corbu, W Hoa and 4 others like this.
    04-07-16 06:41 AM
    cash is used for acquisitions, and last 6 or 7 quarters it is positive cash flow.
    04-07-16 07:01 AM
    Cash is being used, not burned. And every quarter, cash is being added.

Posted via CB10
    what was their Eps last quarter? oh yes, a negative number. I'm not debating it's not being used but the net is negative so the company is losing value on an eps basis. it's also ridiculous to assume people would value the company's cash at its share price value when the stock market does not care about current fundamentals, especially when blackberry has said it wants to continue to make acquisitions and buy back stock
    04-07-16 07:27 AM
    [info]Ok guys,
    pardon me but I've moved the 3 last AAPL posts.
    Acting "blind" i.e not taking pros and cons consideration or who posted what.
    [/info]
    We've been derailing a lot with that here, I'd suggest those in the want/need to discuss it jump here :
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...thers-1069357/ or in our MoNA's sister site : http://forums.imore.com/ where you'll probably find more echo.

Feel free to link OP herein but let's focus on "our" stock, unless there's a DIRECT relation.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-07-16 at 08:30 AM.
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, La Emperor and 4 others like this.
    04-07-16 07:57 AM
    JC in India:
    BlackBerry keen on India revival, but patience required: CEO John Chen - The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: BlackBerry CEO John Chen has said the company has passed the "danger" phase, and is now headed towards a revival phase, which is aimed at transforming the erstwhile handset leader into a software and security company.

"We passed danger. We have a strategy, and are now putting people and infrastructure together to execute the strategy. We picked 10 countries right now, including India, to go beyond main markets such as US, Canada, UK and Germany where we have always been in," Chen told ET. "It needs patience, but we are committed."

The company's 10 new most important emerging markets include India, China, Indonesia, South Africa, Nigeria, UAE and Israel, where it would be re-doing the distribution system, and rebuilding the infrastructure. Chen said that he is personally visiting all these countries to see the business and help execute the strategy.

Chen, who is on his first visit to India since taking over as the company's CEO in late 2013, is meeting BlackBerry employees, partners, and the government. He said the company has signed two new partners for its enterprise and mobility solutions and services in the country.

"India at one time was quite a big market for us. Over the years, things have changed. I am here to meet our people, partners, and the government. Also to see the market and come with a better idea and information about how we invest back into the market," he added.

This year's focus will be on rebuilding the team in the country with hiring new enterprise?-focused talent, Chen said, adding that the India managing director Narendra Nayak had full support from the headquarters to build the team.

"India is going to be a booming economy, especially the SME small- and medium enterprises) model, which is going to be big. All of the policies of the government are aimed at lifting people and providing more opportunities, which are mainly SME based," Chen further added.

The executive said BlackBerry's hardware business is still important due to the obligations with certain governments that have opted for the company's devices and software.

He, however, added that the company's focus on hardware has shrunk to 30% now, against 100% when he took over a few years back. "It's not dead. Now, the most important thing for me is to make money from it. It is doable," he added.

According to Chen, the distribution system which is being built by BlackBerry across countries will not just help its software and services business, but also support its hardware business, which is mainly supported by carriers in various markets.

BlackBerry for the fourth quarter reported a loss of $238 million, after reporting a profit in the same period a year earlier. Overall revenue fell to $464 million from $660 million a year earlier.
    04-07-16 08:42 AM
    For those clamoring for more marketing and the dollars to support it:

Samsung Beats Estimates - Bloomberg
    No one thinks Samsung is out of business or out of the phone market or only making dinosaur phones. So they manage their marketing for product awareness particularly with the newest phones.

In contrast, these those statement (out of business/ phone market / old phones) are what THE CARRIER "PARTNERS" are telling potential BlackBerry customers. BlackBerry needs to remind the market that they are alive, relevant, with top shelf products. Only if they want HW to succeed, of course.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Sigewif like this.
    04-07-16 09:52 AM
    what was their Eps last quarter? oh yes, a negative number. I'm not debating it's not being used but the net is negative so the company is losing value on an eps basis. it's also ridiculous to assume people would value the company's cash at its share price value when the stock market does not care about current fundamentals, especially when blackberry has said it wants to continue to make acquisitions and buy back stock
    EPS is EPS. Cash flow is cash flow. They are not the same thing at all. What's ridiculous is that the market, media, and regular investors don't seem to know the difference. Take advantage of the situation, or not. Your choice. Me? I'm now buying more shares because they're undervalued IMO. Oh and that negative EPS is a rounding error right now, to be honest. Don't put too much stock in it (excuse the pun).

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 09:54 AM
    Hello again, 6. Thought we were finally rid of you for good.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 10:38 AM
    Hi _dimi_

No problem! We are just killing time until we get more information on BlackBerry anyway. The problem that I see with MOBL is the valuation, they want at least 2.0 times sales less cash and that is too rich. For BB, it means paying as much for MOBL as they did for Good and I believe its worth at least 20% less than that value, and sinking each quarter! The MOBL stock price is been maintained by the underwriters and they consistently target $ 7.00/shr which is ridiculous. It isn't possible to "fairly" buy a company that artificially sets its stock price. For us, we have Prem, he keeps the offers away as it is clear to everyone interested that something North of $ 15.00/shr is the starting point for BlackBerry and you have to get Prem to sell his stock or there is no deal.

If you have a chance, punch in $ 160 sales/80 MM shares for MOBL and do the same with BBRY at $ 700/Fiscal 2017 versus 515 MM shares. we are dirt cheap and a far more, well diversified, risk free environment to boot. Look at what the CEO is doing to pump up the numbers, he literally stops spending and sales costs to lower his cost per signed contract numbers each quarter. Chen has to be patient, compete with MOBL and hurt their business out in the field, and wait for cash to burn away. Once that "cash and promises" train sets sail, MOBL will be had for 1/2 the price and he knows it.
    Yes. Hurt their business first, and hard. Absolutely agreed. Cause cash burn pain until the SP gamers cry uncle. Then step in with a lowball.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 11:08 AM
    04-07-16 11:19 AM
    JC / UAE
    BlackBerry switches focus back on mid-range smartphone market | The National

BlackBerry has switched its focus back to the mid-range smartphone market after admitting that its recent flagship Android device, the BlackBerry Priv, was priced too high for enterprise customers.

The company’s chief executive, John Chen, told The National that BlackBerry plans to launch two mid-range Android handsets this year, one with a physical keyboard and one with a full touchscreen. He declined to say when the new devices would go on sale.

BlackBerry last week announced it had sold just 600,000 handsets during the three months to the end of March, well below analyst forecasts of 850,000. Mr Chen declined to say how many Privs had been sold during the period.

Mr Chen admitted that the Priv “was too high-end a product", with its target market of enterprise customers put off by the handset’s US$700 price tag.

“The fact that we came out with a high end phone [as our first Android device] was probably not as wise as it should have been," Mr Chen said during a visit to Abu Dhabi.

“A lot of enterprise customers have said to us, ‘I want to buy your phone but $700 is a little too steep for me. I’m more interested in a $400 device’."

Mr Chen insisted that BlackBerry’s secure Android handset proposition was one that appealed particularly to enterprise consumers.

“We’re the only people who really secure Android, taking the security features of BlackBerry that everyone knows us for and make it more reachable for the market."

But last week’s disappointing sales numbers have once again revived speculation that BlackBerry may finally decide to call time on its handset division and focus exclusively on its more profitable software services division, which it expects to grow by 30 per cent in the coming 12 months.

In a further blow to the company, Facebook and WhatsApp announced in March that they would drop support for their apps on BlackBerry’s BB10 operating system, which is on BlackBerry’s Passport, Classic and Leap devices.

Mr Chen said that while BlackBerry would continue to release updates for BB10, there were no plans to launch new devices running the operating system.

“BlackBerry lost the consumer [handset] market a while ago, and now are almost exclusively an enterprise player," said Roberta Cozza, a research director at the industry analyst Gartner.

“They really need to consider how profitable such a segment is. They could feasibly carry on in what is now a very small market segment but they have to ask themselves, ‘is this what the company should really still be focusing on?’"

Mr Chen said that BlackBerry’s handset division had shown some signs of improvement during the last quarter, with losses halving compared with the previous quarter, but said that the company would exit the segment if it could not achieve profitability.

“Since I started at the company [in November 2013] I’ve been saying I’ll make the handset business profitable.

“If I can’t make it profitable because the market won’t let me, then I’ll get out of the handset business," he said.

“I love our handset business, but we need to make money."
    04-07-16 11:22 AM
    JC / UAE
    BlackBerry signs distribution agreement to expand Middle East and North Africa fooprint - Khaleej Times

BlackBerry and Fast Telecom announced that they have signed a distribution agreement.

As part of the agreement, Fast Telecom now offers BlackBerry devices to customers across the region, including the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Lebanon, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, Egypt and Morocco.

"Today, Fast Telecom and BlackBerry have signed an agreement that will enhance the footprint of BlackBerry devices and widen the company's distribution network for mobile devices in Middle East and North Africa," said Mohammed Albarghuthi, the co-chairman of Fast Telecom.

"We are excited to partner with Fast Telecom in the Mena region, as part of our strategy to increase our market reach in the region and expand our global distribution network," said John Chen, executive chairman and chief executive officer of BlackBerry. "BlackBerry's security, privacy and productivity is unmatched and we look forward to making it available to an even wider market segment."

Building on Fast Telecom's wide distribution reach, high level service standards, vast network of trade partners and almost 20 years of distribution experience, the new partnership will bring the innovative and secure BlackBerry devices across more territories.

"PRIV by BlackBerry, the first-ever BlackBerry smartphone powered by Android, combines the best of BlackBerry's productivity, security and privacy features with the wide world of Google Play store apps, so we expect sales to be strong," added Fast Telecom.
    04-07-16 11:25 AM
    Thanks for the post. To build on this, I don't understand why they don't run android and bb10 on the same form factors, so the only difference is the software. It reduces cost and inventory risk. They can have the priv and the passport (and maybe one other model).
    I see that it's the 801...regardless it buys them and BB10 some time. I completely agree with standardizing the form factors. Again, tho, at least in the US, forget about verizon/ CDMA, go GSM unlocked and sell them off the site. I have to believe the # of people walking into a carrier store asking for a BB is low anyway. I think that "model" will go by the wayside eventually anyway. The only benefit of a carrier branded phone I can think of is the wifi calling with t-mobile and Ive got that on an unlocked BB shop classic anyway.

so 2 phones (slab, pkb) choice of os, passport- choice of os/ bb10 only, priv- choice of os/ bb android.

regardless of the 801, I am amazed at the speed of my phone. my prior, and HTC One M7, has the same chip, I think, and it was the google android that slowed it down. Im gonna go android revolution on it, just to minimize the google. It'll have a new life, but it still doesnt have a pkb and it's a rooted/ custom os.

if they abandon BB10, they may abandon a nascent, smaller market and unnecessarily cede share of that market to smaller start ups, ie Jolla, Blackphone.
    04-07-16 11:28 AM
    EPS is EPS. Cash flow is cash flow. They are not the same thing at all. What's ridiculous is that the market, media, and regular investors don't seem to know the difference. Take advantage of the situation, or not. Your choice. Me? I'm now buying more shares because they're undervalued IMO. Oh and that negative EPS is a rounding error right now, to be honest. Don't put too much stock in it (excuse the pun).

Posted via CB10

Why a company can have positive cashflow but negative net income

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/05/060105.asp

Now from blackberry earnings,

Non-GAAP net loss for the fourth quarter was $(18) million, or $(0.03) per share. GAAP net loss for the quarter was $(238) million, or $(0.45) per basic share. Basic GAAP net loss reflects a purchase accounting impact of $23 million on GAAP revenue, a non-cash credit associated with the change in the fair value of the debentures of $40 million (the �Q4 Fiscal 2016 Debentures Fair Value Adjustment�), pre-tax charges of $192 million related to restructuring and acquisition costs, stock compensation of $17 million, and amortization of acquired intangibles.

you can bet these costs are going to keep occurring especially as they acquire new companies and lay employees off....
    04-07-16 11:59 AM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Really BlackBerry? Deja vu all over again ....

They will have same success (?) as they did with PRIV...

A "mid range" $400 device that most will dismiss and say "too expensive a phone with entry level specs.... " that can't compete and will be dismissed.

.. they need to be realistic and take the rose colored glasses off on how THEIR (new proposed Android) phones are / could be better than competitors...what is their Value Proposition?....

The (BlackBerry) brand is so tarnished they can't just match competitor's product offerings, but must provide a compelling reason to buyers... enterprise or consumer.... to buy... In large quantities their product, over competitors. They need people to switch.....

... memories of LEAP come to mind once again...

If they Can't compete to win... cut losses and move on!!...

The sooner the better, and funnel resources and energies to where they have better synergies and strategic advantages... or find buyers / partners..

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-07-16 11:59 AM
    should be in teens. cash only is like half of the capitalizations at the moment :/
    I'm trying to understand what people in this thread consider reasonable and why. I'd like to have a rational discussion about value of BBRY. If this isn't the right thread for that discussion, then maybe we can do this in another thread I guess

So there is about USD 2.75 there in net cash, right? So where does your other $10+ come from?
    04-07-16 12:13 PM
    I see that it's the 801...regardless it buys them and BB10 some time. I completely agree with standardizing the form factors. Again, tho, at least in the US, forget about verizon/ CDMA, go GSM unlocked and sell them off the site. I have to believe the # of people walking into a carrier store asking for a BB is low anyway. I think that "model" will go by the wayside eventually anyway. The only benefit of a carrier branded phone I can think of is the wifi calling with t-mobile and Ive got that on an unlocked BB shop classic anyway.

so 2 phones (slab, pkb) choice of os, passport- choice of os/ bb10 only, priv- choice of os/ bb android.

regardless of the 801, I am amazed at the speed of my phone. my prior, and HTC One M7, has the same chip, I think, and it was the google android that slowed it down. Im gonna go android revolution on it, just to minimize the google. It'll have a new life, but it still doesnt have a pkb and it's a rooted/ custom os.

if they abandon BB10, they may abandon a nascent, smaller market and unnecessarily cede share of that market to smaller start ups, ie Jolla, Blackphone.
    I couldn't agree with you more, a couple of key phones that are sold online or via Enterprise packaging. My dream phone is a cool looking Classic with duel sims and duel OS = to Android for personal and BB10 for business. Make that phone and I'm a BB fan for life. Fully 80% of their business comes from online sales but as we saw with the PRIV, it was to launch on the 6th of November, then, the 24th then who knows who got a phone!. I didn't see a real PRIV until the end of the year. Let's get a decent number of phones available next time so that everyone on the planet including Tim Cook can get the best phone out there without waiting more than 4 days.
    04-07-16 12:15 PM

A "mid range" $400 device that most will dismiss and say "too expensive a phone with entry level specs.... " that can't compete and will be dismissed.

.. they need to be realistic and take the rose colored glasses off on how THEIR (new proposed Android) phones are / could be better than competitors...what is their Value Proposition?....

The (BlackBerry) brand is so tarnished they can't just match competitor's product offerings, but must provide a compelling reason to buyers... enterprise or consumer.... to buy... In large quantities their product, over competitors. They need people to switch.....

The sooner the better, and funnel resources and energies to where they have better synergies and strategic advantages... or find buyers / partners..

Posted via CB10
    You are getting emotional about a reporters' collection of thoughts and they may have nothing to do with what Chen is planning for HW. Today, anyone can "report" whatever they think is the case, it doesn't make it real by any stretch of the imagination. It is a piecing of several bits of information and he is concluding things that might have nothing to do with BlackBerry. Time again, practically on a weekly basis now, we see BlackBerry correcting the media who are pumping out nonsense just to get clicks. Relax!
    04-07-16 12:27 PM
    Sorry about your personal dream Morgan (it was my dream as well) but BlackBerry fired an enormous amount of BB10 engineers. There will never be another BB10 phone is my guess, unless it's based around the Snapdragon 801. Like how the classic was based around the Z10 if I'm not mistaken..

We have hit 6.95. I cancelled my 6.75 order, will buy at 6.50 now. I don't care if that's next week :-)
    bungaboy and 3MIKE like this.
    04-07-16 01:00 PM
    Why a company can have positive cashflow but negative net income

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/05/060105.asp

Now from blackberry earnings,

Non-GAAP net loss for the fourth quarter was $(18) million, or $(0.03) per share. GAAP net loss for the quarter was $(238) million, or $(0.45) per basic share. Basic GAAP net loss reflects a purchase accounting impact of $23 million on GAAP revenue, a non-cash credit associated with the change in the fair value of the debentures of $40 million (the �Q4 Fiscal 2016 Debentures Fair Value Adjustment�), pre-tax charges of $192 million related to restructuring and acquisition costs, stock compensation of $17 million, and amortization of acquired intangibles.

you can bet these costs are going to keep occurring especially as they acquire new companies and lay employees off....
    Yes and how exactly do these earnings losses constitute 'cash burn'? Answer? They don't. The cash used in the acquisitions has already been accounted for elsewhere, yet they have still shown 8 consecutive quarters of positive cash flow. There's a reason why publicly traded companies must issue an earnings statement AND a cash flow statement AND a balance sheet. You can bend one or two but never all three, unless you're a criminal of course.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 01:03 PM
    Also: Google won't allow it.

BlackBerry is stalling the 10.3.3 update because it will remove the ability to run Android applications. 10.3.4 will for sure.
    So a phone which runs both Android and BB10? Google will have John Chen executed before that happens: i.e. never
    04-07-16 01:03 PM
    I couldn't agree with you more, a couple of key phones that are sold online or via Enterprise packaging. My dream phone is a cool looking Classic with duel sims and duel OS = to Android for personal and BB10 for business. Make that phone and I'm a BB fan for life. Fully 80% of their business comes from online sales but as we saw with the PRIV, it was to launch on the 6th of November, then, the 24th then who knows who got a phone!. I didn't see a real PRIV until the end of the year. Let's get a decent number of phones available next time so that everyone on the planet including Tim Cook can get the best phone out there without waiting more than 4 days.
    I would buy one too! I am having a hard time looking for a replacement for my Passport (cracked screen). Top choice right now is another Passport, but kinda suck to have to use the same phone for so many years. Come on, Chen, we want BB10!
    04-07-16 01:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    I won't mention the word 'advertising', but Chen's comments are telling. If BlackBerry make a mid-range phone and use the same sales strategy, it won't sell either. It's getting a bit cringe-worthy, really. You can almost hear and see the business bosses trying to let Chen down without hurting his feelings, and he's taking what they say as the truth. Of course people aren't going to buy a $700 phone they aren't sure about and haven't been sold on. Making a mid-range Android won't make any darn difference, because BlackBerry will still price it too high. It'll end up being a $400 phone that the others are essentially selling for $250-300.

Chen's comments are very discouraging. What he needs to do is sell a Priv-standard phone for less than $700. It HAS to be seen as compelling, as a bargain, for people to give it a chance. Lowering the quality is a poor idea. Make high-quality products, and price them at discount prices from Day One. Just like in a supermarket, once people have had a taste and like your product, you can start charging higher prices again.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-07-16 01:24 PM
113,252 ... 38843885388638873888 ...