View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    04-04-16 01:39 PM
    I'll tell you one thing, though: Apple will advertise the SE, and they will sell loads of them. Whether we like them or not (and I don't own a single Apple product - not one), Apple know how to sell.

Perhaps we should just ignore Apple for the most part, anyway, and focus on BlackBerry. That's the phone (Passport) I've got in my hand, and that's the phone I'd love an upgrade for within the next year. Let's see Chen and BlackBerry make it happen, and make us all happy.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 01:43 PM
    Attachment 396196

Hamburg and Rome "leaked".. Will they see the light of day? Call me a dreamer but I believe Chen/BlackBerry still have hope to revive the handset business here.One, last(for real) try!

Posted via CB10
    Where did you find these?

Posted via CB10
    masterful likes this.
    04-04-16 01:54 PM
    Morgan, love your last post! I need a iPoo toilet. LMAO

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    04-04-16 02:02 PM
    Where did you find these?

Posted via CB10
    They are renders . . .

BBM Channel PIN C002026AA
    _dimi_ and 3MIKE like this.
    04-04-16 02:02 PM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Judging from the Bloomberg and BNN interviews. JC appears to be very/"reasonably" comfortable with his guidance for profitable HW....

I am also "curious" whether they would use cash to pay off debenturers... and whether that would be a sign of strong confidence and Bullishness...sending the SP strongly upwards...

Comments??

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 02:17 PM
    QNX aims to create the OS of automated cars

It won’t be long.

Not today, not tomorrow and not five years from now, but not long after, your car, your neighbour’s car, and just about everyone’s car will be driving itself.

“I’ve been telling people 10 to 15 years.”

That’s the prediction from Grant Courville, the senior director of product management for QNX Software Systems – an operations system software developer, and a subsidiary of BlackBerry.

It’s not a prediction to take lightly.

QNX software shipped in more than 20 million car systems last year – things like infotainment systems, telematics, digital clusters, and every OnStar system – said Courville.

“Chances are that if you have a vehicle with an infotainment system, it’s running QNX,” he said.

But QNX is aiming to branch out into a new potential market in a big way – automated driving.

QNX revealed some of the tech systems it’s been working on, which the software developer refers to as building blocks towards autonomous drive, in January at CES 2016, which is one of the largest showcases for new consumer electronics.

The big announcement was that QNX aims to create an operating system that can safely and consistently coordinate between computer algorithms and hardware like cameras, radar and other sensors to allow a road vehicle to drive autonomously. QNX is making the software that integrates those elements only, not the algorithms or tech behind it.

“From a QNX perspective, everything we do is aimed at full autonomous drive,” said Courville.

While it’s a new direction for the developer, it harkens back to QNX’s pedigree as a provider of life-critical systems in hospitals, industry and elsewhere.

“You wont’ find QNX on the desktop. We never focused on that, that wasn’t our world,” said Courville. “We focused on devices and systems where essentially they have to be ultra-reliable, so they have to work well, work predictably and work all the time.”

“We are doing nuclear reactor monitoring, we are involved in high speed rail, laser eye surgery, robotic surgery, MRI systems,” he said.

Now, software in cars is moving from being largely for entertainment purposes to being part of safety systems where, in some cases, the software will be responsible for life or death decisions.

Considering QNX’s emphasis on software built for safety and security, and its history with the auto industry, working on an OS for automated cars is natural, said Courville.

“Since the 80s we’ve been in safety critical systems and now seeing autonomous drive in safety systems becoming more at the forefront of automotive software, it speaks to our DNA, you know: what makes us different, what makes us ideal for these kinds of environments.”

AUTOMATION NOW

Courville estimates that autonomous drive will be common in cars in about 10 or 15 years, though there are some instances of it now, with the Tesla Model S including an autopilot option that uses a variety of sensors to remain in a lane, steer, maintain and adjust speed and park. The Google Car has also traveled many kilometres on its own.

But it’s widespread adoption of automated vehicles is what QNX is looking at.

“It’s well on its way,” said Courville of automated drive technology.

Some of the tech applications that QNX is working on include digital clusters that replace a car’s usual dials with a screen that can show car speeds, music selections and maps that display warning based on sensor data like cameras, lidar, radar and others.

They are also looking into heads up displays, with information like direction arrows, gas station locations, car proximity and more being identified based on GPS information and video cameras to be displayed on a vehicle’s windshield.

QNX brought demonstrations of both of those applications to CES, built into a Jeep and a Toyota Highlander.

Though a video screen in front of the car simulated the Highlander’s heads up display, the demonstration had both vehicles making real-time decisions based on a pre-recorded video of a vehicle driving down streets. These kinds of applications are seen as interim steps towards automated driving.

But, for widespread automated drive to become a reality, new technology will have to be embedded not just in cars but in traffic infrastructure as well, said Courville.

QNX also demonstrated some of the advantages of vehicle-to-vehicle communication (V2V) and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication (V2I) with a video.

The idea is that nearby cars who can communicate with each other would be able to alert drivers to oncoming vehicles in passing lanes, a vehicle that has had its breaks slammed on unexpectedly and more. The cars could even take action themselves based on that information.

However, there are even more advantages if infrastructure, like street lights, are able to communicate with vehicles as well. A street light could, for instance, let a car know how much longer there remains until a red light becomes a green light, allowing a driver or their vehicle itself to time the light. The traffic light could also show when a green light will go to a yellow, or even communicate to a city’s traffic centre if there is some problem with vehicles at a given intersection.

Trials of V2V and V2I technologies are being funded by the US Department of Transportation in New York City, Tampa Bay and parts of Wyoming, while Cadillac is rumoured to be deploying V2V technologies in its vehicles in the next few years.

TECH VS REGULATION

The technology for autonomous driving, which QNX is working to create an OS for, is on its way, and autonomous cars are going to become a common reality, said Courville. But it’s not the technology that will determine when autonomous driving becomes widespread – it’s acceptance of it that will.

How quickly government regulations change to incorporate autonomous cars and how quickly customers grow to accept and trust autonomous cars will be the determining factors, said Courville.

Various governments have signalled interested in testing autonomous vehicles and incorporating some of the interim steps towards that. The Ontario government announced that it is launching a pilot project to allow for the testing of automated vehicles on Ontario Roads, while the city of Stratford, Ont., is hoping to be the premier place to do those tests.

Over the years, the city has built city-wide Wi-Fi into its infrastructure, removing one of the cost barriers to testing V2V and V2I technology.

As the world moves towards automated cars being the norm, as Courville seems pretty sure it is, some of the interim steps will likely be transport trucks using automated drive systems on highways or specifically designated corridors, and then regular cars able to use automated drive on those specific corridors, with suburban neighbourhoods likely being one of the last places autonomous drive is accepted.

Regardless, it’s an exciting time to be working for QNX, said Courville.

“It’s awesome,” he said. “We want to dominate the software foundation of the vehicle … it’s a perfect fit for us. It’s exciting.”
    04-04-16 02:58 PM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    04-04-16 03:14 PM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    04-04-16 03:26 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    http://www.investors.com/news/techno...LLED&ven=yahoo

No surprises here... this is what Ceo Chen is facing moving forward...perceptions become reality... for business and consumer..... that's what happens when you don't meet or exceed your own guidance (handsets).....

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 03:31 PM

No surprises here... this is what Ceo Chen is facing moving forward...perceptions become reality... for business and consumer..... that's what happens when you don't meet or exceed your own guidance (handsets).....

Posted via CB10
    And when your own words act as a deterrent to potential consumers who don't fancy gambling on a phone that may lose support at any moment. Still, Chen's ego is what matters, so let him continue to hedge with uncertainty. Apologies, the less-than-positive portrayal of His Majesty just slipped out.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 03:45 PM
    And when your own words act as a deterrent to potential consumers who don't fancy gambling on a phone that may lose support at any moment. Still, Chen's ego is what matters, so let him continue to hedge with uncertainty. Apologies, the less-than-positive portrayal of His Majesty just slipped out.

Posted via CB10
    Feel free to comment, but no need to push too hard.
    (weird edit by SF)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-04-16 at 06:05 PM.
    04-04-16 03:52 PM

Posted via CB10

One week of lousy headlines buys him another 3 months' time to increase sales by 150k devices.. If you were JC, what would you do? He says they have a shot at profitability, because they are getting closer. I'm not so sure the street understands/acknowledges just how close that is!

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 03:54 PM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar

Posted via CB10
    My comments have nothing to do with CEO chen... In fact he is one of the most talented IT pros in the business...my former career in fact. Have the utmost respect for him. His challenges are unreal and no Monday Morning Quarterback could carry his shoes.... I am always amazed that people who have never run a company or had to make decisions affecting so many have "expert" opinions... LOL

... he is trying to turn round what was a bankrupt company and he's doing a pretty good job... I personally have a lot vested in this turnaround.... Not interested in personal attacks on him or others.. just interested in meaningful info, pro and con, moving forward...

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 03:56 PM
    If the 5C, 5S and 7 are successful the stock will plunge unless they sell upwards to 50% more units just to maintain last years status.

Apple is telling the retail world that they have it all wrong, that phones larger than 4 inch screens are no longer in vogue. What if they are wrong?
    I'm curious. Are you really serious when you post stuff like this, or is it just some elaborate parody? I ask because you keep referring to the iPhone SE as the iPhone 7, and you seem to be implying that Apple is positioning it as the flagship replacement for the iPhone 6s, when it is neither of these things.
    early2bed and Eumaeus like this.
    04-04-16 04:03 PM
    Judging from the Bloomberg and BNN interviews. JC appears to be very/"reasonably" comfortable with his guidance for profitable HW....

I am also "curious" whether they would use cash to pay off debenturers... and whether that would be a sign of strong confidence and Bullishness...sending the SP strongly upwards...

Comments??

Posted via CB10
    I don't see anyone responding to your question so I'll give my two bits worth. The bonds are available for purchase in the Fall, they yield 6% which is $ 75 MM bucks to the bottom line. I don't think that everyone that holds those bonds needs the interest/yield so BlackBerry should be able to get some of them back. I prefer this to buying common stock as it reduces interest charges for good. Chen mentioned that he would be in a position to buy those bonds and the way the stock is trading why not do it if we aren't 40% higher heading into the Fall. I don't think he'll buy anything if the bond conversation is in the money. If he could see some definitive growth in cash-flow and/or earnings, I bet he would take out a bundle of them and that would be very good for the stock as we often look at fully diluted earnings at some point and we always talk net of bonds or debt with regards to cash. Finally, he has always said he would carry the equivalent of the face value of the bonds in cash so why not do the right thing and remove the debt.
    04-04-16 04:37 PM
    I'm curious. Are you really serious when you post stuff like this, or is it just some elaborate parody? I ask because you keep referring to the iPhone SE as the iPhone 7, and you seem to be implying that Apple is positioning it as the flagship replacement for the iPhone 6s, when it is neither of these things.
    No, you are just not understanding the argument at all.
    04-04-16 04:38 PM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I don't see anyone responding to your question so I'll give my two bits worth. The bonds are available for purchase in the Fall, they yield 6% which is $ 75 MM bucks to the bottom line. I don't think that everyone that holds those bonds needs the interest/yield so BlackBerry should be able to get some of them back. I prefer this to buying common stock as it reduces interest charges for good. Chen mentioned that he would be in a position to buy those bonds and the way the stock is trading why not do it if we aren't 40% higher heading into the Fall. I don't think he'll buy anything if the bond conversation is in the money. If he could see some definitive growth in cash-flow and/or earnings, I bet he would take out a bundle of them and that would be very good for the stock as we often look at fully diluted earnings at some point and we always talk net of bonds or debt with regards to cash. Finally, he has always said he would carry the equivalent of the face value of the bonds in cash so why not do the right thing and remove the debt.
    I agree and hope he does!!.....

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, Mr BBRY and rarsen like this.
    04-04-16 05:25 PM
    Just being honest. I don't think he is competent, and the HW results, I believe, support my view, and not the opposing view. But anyway, I've said my piece and am happy to leave it alone for a while. Once again, we wait another three months and see what the results tell us then. Probably the usual.

Posted via CB10
    My understanding is that Chen has always been a software guy. But at this level (CEO) that doesn't matter. My thoughts are that Chen wants hardware but realizes that it's not vital to the company's future.

You can not pick one part or division of the company and say he is not competent. As CEO he is evaluated on the success / failure of the company as a whole.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 05:25 PM
    Chen wants hardware but realizes that it's not vital to the company's future.
    Weird.
    My understanding is near the opposite.
    As in : Chen believes that HW is vital to sustain software and will sugar-coat as much as he can until the break even is close enough to make the loss finally look as a neglecting shortfall only.
    Well, I agree with that, provided software revenues keep ramping up with a high recurring percentage.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 06:14 PM
    04-04-16 07:28 PM
    Reading material

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/03/...s-mobile-apps/

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    04-04-16 09:05 PM
    It will be painful to see this type of headline for the next little while!

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    Superfly_FR, 3MIKE and CDM76 like this.
    04-04-16 09:57 PM
    It will be painful to see this type of headline for the next little while!
    I hear you, masterful! I hate those headlines as well but posted the link as I felt there were some interesting bits of information in there.
    04-04-16 10:03 PM
    What you aren't considering here is that if a company moves their sales mix toward low end phones, and they are known for selling high-end, high margin phones, they literally have to sell many more phones to break-even while at the same time, incur much higher costs to maintain a mixed inventory. Apple will have their unit sales and revenue numbers compared to last year and the numbers are going to look horrible. You are going to see their ASP drop off a cliff and that's the bubble everyone has be warning about. If the 5C, 5S and 7 are successful the stock will plunge unless they sell upwards to 50% more units just to maintain last years status.

Apple is telling the retail world that they have it all wrong, that phones larger than 4 inch screens are no longer in vogue. What if they are wrong? This is going to end badly. Imagine what it costs to keep the lights on in all of those stores only to hand the outlets lower revenues this year. Apple needs to launch their new toilet because that's where most of their product is going to end up, way to go Tim Cook.

Attachment 396198
    You don't understand:
    The iPhone 5 was introduced in 2012, they have been making this phone for almost 4 years now. you buy the LCD for less that 10 dollars from china. The only revision to this 2012 phone was a different home button (touch ID) and to switch the A6 SoC for the A9 Soc. Even for 399 the margin on this phone is still well north of 250 dollars.
    They sold 30 million of the 4inch form factor last year. Let's say you are right and sales drop even harder than blackberry, so 15 million iPhone SEs sold this year. 15.000.000 * 250 = 3.750.000.000

3.75 bilion dollars of profit on the iPhone SE, and that is if despite the more powerful hardware and lower price compared to the 30 million same form factor phones they sold last year, drop harder than blackberry sales

Imagine what BlackBerry would do with even 1 billion of profit?

But no you are probably right, iPhone SE is the iPhone 7, apple is clueless, they are going down yes, they don't have a single new product for 2016, and yes you are super right about apple, you are truly an expert on the subject.
    04-05-16 12:24 AM
113,256 ... 38773878387938803881 ...