View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Finally, I saw a 2nd PRIV in Croatia. I know it doesn't seem very positive (2 phones and I am looking at every device out there), but how the guy got does.
    Out with my buddies last night. One of them asked about my SE and I couldn't stop raving about it. Then I told my buddy to ask 'T' (won't use real names) how he likes his. Then I told him to ask 'S' how he likes his and 'S' pulled out his brand new PRIV. We asked him which device he preferred and he said Passport hands down. Why did he change to the PRIV???
    His company (a Mexican owned global company) forced him so that everyone that works for the company can have the same hardware and access to the same APPs. No, I didn't ask how many people work for the company.

My thoughts on HW:
    - I expected more than 600k but I always expect more.
    - No Verizon, No Sprint, Limited time for T-Mobile, No Japan, No ... in this last Q. I realize it was the holiday season but if the PRIV wasn't readily available from all carriers. I don't know of many who would change carriers just to get a new device.
    - I only read GREAT reviews about the PRIV. I tried it and still prefer the Passport (Silver Edition) but I realize (after many years) that I am in the minority when it comes to needing access to all APPs (I don't).
    - Breakeven on HW is now 3M/year. I don't believe that Chen is serious about exiting HW. I just think he says this to keep the media off his back while he's working at making HW profitable.
    - BlackBerry would not be coming out with a new Android device if they were even considering exiting HW.
    - I think Chen wants to be able to offer clients an end-to-end solution that includes HW.

My only thought on software is that I like Chen's comment about how he would make DTek and everything available to the consumer, with or without a blackberry device ... for a price.
    Software growth wasn't organic, but who cares. As long as it's growing and it's profitable.
    04-04-16 06:46 AM
    I just saw my 4th Priv in the wild today

Makes my Z10 look tiny
    04-04-16 07:09 AM
    Regarding the Priv, you simple cannot sell things - you can hardly sell anything - without advertising. That is a fact, full stop, period. The idea that BlackBerry couldn't/can't afford to advertise because of money is insane. If advertising $$$ didn't lead to more profits/sales than the output in advertising costs, most companies in the world would go broke. The 'save money on advertising' approach simply makes no sense and is defeated by evidence in the real world. When you add in the hidden cost that comes with no selling in terms of brand image/confidence, the no proper advertising approach appears even more foolish.

BlackBerry are stuck in a tailspin of failure and incompetence when it comes to HW, and the Priv - an Android phone for God's sake! - is yet another victim of Chen's folly and madness. The man is a grinning @&#*�. Every time he is asked about HW, he throws his hands in the air, so to speak, and says, 'Well, I'll listen to the market'. There is simply NO EVIDENCE in the modern world that that approach works, or is sensible. You have to take your wares TO the market, and SELL them. When people already think you are irrelevant, you need to be even more confident and vocal about the value of your wares.

The fact that BlackBerry have failed to sell an Android device with good specs SHOULD be a final straw for this lazy and deluded strategy, but will it? Will Chen wake up and realise that if you spend $100 million (or whatever) on advertising, you don't simply 'lose' that money, but get it back and much more in sales? Instead, the man is spending silly money on online ads that keep peppering customers who already have a BlackBerry. Almost nobody else is seeing these ads because of the way online advertising works. You see ads you have expressed some sort of interest in through your Internet searches, etc.

Chen is too frightened, and frankly lacks talent. Who Dares Wins. The man simply does not have the guts/b@lls/etc to make a strong decision, and back his offerings with proper advertising. People on this site defended his secret genius when the stock was at $11, then $10, then $9, $8, and now $7. There is no virtue in continuing to try to rationalise his poor ability while things slide and slide and slide. You've got a phone with ALL the apps, great specs, and an attractive design, and an added keyboard to boot...and the man still can't sell the darn thing. It's mad.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Klipspringers Shoes; 04-04-16 at 07:47 AM.
    04-04-16 07:35 AM
    @ klipspringers shoe, please stop degrading John Chen in your posts. Stating that John Chen is not competent is something that isn't taken lightly. Want to trash someone, go sit in the toilet and do it.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    04-04-16 07:59 AM
    Regarding the Priv, you simple cannot sell things - you can hardly sell anything - without advertising.
    Here's the thing: On Friday Chen said that they are focusing more on enterprise sales with carriers, less on retail.
    morganplus8, rarsen, 3MIKE and 5 others like this.
    Had to laugh out loud to Morgan's reply....! Does he have weak spot for figure skating like he does for Maroon5?!

Posted via CB10
    I'm just poking fun at some of the doomsday sayers that frequent the board during Q reporting periods and probably don't own shares in BBRY.

So I get up today and I learn that an iPhone 5S (4 inch screen) in a protective case looks radically different than an iPhone 7 (4 inch screen) in a protective case because there might be a hidden form factor. A 4 inch screen is the problem, not the form factor! How many phones are for sale out there pushing a 4 inch screen? Should BlackBerry bring back its Z10 ? Can I get that 4 inch screen in a 30 hour battery life? Do I have to buy a VR kit to read my messages? The world has moved on from 4 inch screens. How will Apple meet EPS forecasts for next year with an ASP $ 200 lower per handset? I will be there on launch day to listen to Jimmy Kimbel interview iFans in that big line up. "Oh, why did you buy the iPhone 7?" ............ "It reminds me of the iPhone 5S". Okay ......

BlackBerry is a long way from conceding HW, they can reduce costs and distribution complexity until it carries itself and they will. The real story is what's in store for Apple.
    rarsen, Corbu, _dimi_ and 8 others like this.
    @ klipspringers shoe, please stop degrading John Chen in your posts. Stating that John Chen is not competent is something that isn't taken lightly. Want to trash someone, go sit in the toilet and do it.

Just being honest. I don't think he is competent, and the HW results, I believe, support my view, and not the opposing view. But anyway, I've said my piece and am happy to leave it alone for a while. Once again, we wait another three months and see what the results tell us then. Probably the usual.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 08:08 AM
    From my TD alerts:

Alert Details
    4 earning estimates have been revised up and the consensus estimate has increased from -0.105 to -0.085 for Q2 2016.

Alert Details
    3 earning estimates have been revised up and the consensus estimate has increased from -0.38 to -0.37 for 2018

04-04-16 08:25 AM
    I am going to hold my stock but my thursday 5000 euro is now worth less than 4500 euro. I am truly The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-censored.gifscrewed because today it will drop about 3-7% again.

- later -
    **** it, it will drop below 7.20
    - later -
    Jep, it dropped 3% already

Edited - Please read

Inappropriate Language:
    Mobile Nations is a network used by people of all ages, so please keep posts, usernames, images and links family appropriate. Creative misspelling of profanity to circumvent the filters in place to block variations of profanity will not be tolerated. Moderators may delete or edit posts at their discretion, if posts are deemed inappropriate or offensive. Users will be typically be given a warning for the first violation. Continued violations will result in a ban from the forum.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-04-16 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Please mind your words (all, no distinction here)
    04-04-16 08:29 AM
    BlackBerry stock was initiated with a "sector perform" rating at RBC Capital Markets on Monday. The firm lowered its price target to $8 from $9.

On Friday, the mobile communications company reported weak revenue during the 2016 fourth quarter.

Investors should be patient as the company transitions to a software-centric model, RBC said.

Though software revenue is projected to climb, the company's software opportunity is currently priced into the stock, according to the firm.

"The decline of high-margin service access fee revenue is likely to restrain profitability for 12-24 months and we believe the shares already adequately value BlackBerry's software opportunity," RBC added. "BlackBerry has other assets, but visibility to monetization is low."
    04-04-16 08:39 AM
    maybe it goes back to 8 today lol
    Last edited by DeRedder; 04-04-16 at 11:14 AM.
    04-04-16 08:58 AM
    Update:

Alert Details
    5 earning estimates have been revised up and the consensus estimate has increased from -0.105 to -0.085 for Q2 2016.

Alert Details
    4 earning estimates have been revised up and the consensus estimate has increased from -0.38 to -0.333 for 2018

Seems to me more bullish going forward then bear.

rarsen, morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    04-04-16 09:30 AM
    OT:
    Nice start of the day for HALO and ACAD...
    04-04-16 09:34 AM
    I'm just poking fun at some of the doomsday sayers that frequent the board during Q reporting periods and probably don't own shares in BBRY.

So I get up today and I learn that an iPhone 5S (4 inch screen) in a protective case looks radically different than an iPhone 7 (4 inch screen) in a protective case because there might be a hidden form factor. A 4 inch screen is the problem, not the form factor! How many phones are for sale out there pushing a 4 inch screen? Should BlackBerry bring back its Z10 ? Can I get that 4 inch screen in a 30 hour battery life? Do I have to buy a VR kit to read my messages? The world has moved on from 4 inch screens. How will Apple meet EPS forecasts for next year with an ASP $ 200 lower per handset? I will be there on launch day to listen to Jimmy Kimbel interview iFans in that big line up. "Oh, why did you buy the iPhone 7?" ............ "It reminds me of the iPhone 5S". Okay ......

BlackBerry is a long way from conceding HW, they can reduce costs and distribution complexity until it carries itself and they will. The real story is what's in store for Apple.
    http://gizmodo.com/iphone-se-review-...full+(Gizmodo)

Posted Via blackberry passport.
    "And as soon as he was gone, Tim Cook took all the ideas Jobs rejected and made them reality. So we got the fart in the wind that is the Apple Watch"
    04-04-16 09:43 AM
    04-04-16 09:54 AM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Does BlackBerry buyback continue now ? Thought I read somewhere that they could 48 hours after EC....

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 11:19 AM
    04-04-16 12:07 PM
    you guys fail to understand that Apple sold + 30 million 4 inch phones in the last quarter.
    Let that sink in: +30 million phones

Those phones were compromised of 5C and 5S models: so 2012 and 2013 hardware.

They introduced a cheaper model, which has the same internal specs as their 2015 hardware.

If blackberry sold 3 million phones, stock would be above $9 I can tell you that
    Eumaeus likes this.
    04-04-16 12:17 PM
    you guys fail to understand that Apple sold + 30 million 4 inch phones in the last quarter.

They introduced a cheaper model, which has the same internal specs as their 2015 hardware.

If blackberry sold 3 million phones, stock would be above $9 I can tell you that
    The house of Cards looks all pretty, but one fart and it will come crashing.

Cheers!

Last edited by bbjdog; 04-04-16 at 12:46 PM.
    04-04-16 12:33 PM
    News out that BlackBerry paid 8 million for cybersecurity business. That's the UK company.

04-04-16 12:37 PM

You're not a BlackBerry investor anymore, are you? Thought you sold for a 500 euro loss..

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 12:41 PM

What you aren't considering here is that if a company moves their sales mix toward low end phones, and they are known for selling high-end, high margin phones, they literally have to sell many more phones to break-even while at the same time, incur much higher costs to maintain a mixed inventory. Apple will have their unit sales and revenue numbers compared to last year and the numbers are going to look horrible. You are going to see their ASP drop off a cliff and that's the bubble everyone has be warning about. If the 5C, 5S and 7 are successful the stock will plunge unless they sell upwards to 50% more units just to maintain last years status.

Apple is telling the retail world that they have it all wrong, that phones larger than 4 inch screens are no longer in vogue. What if they are wrong? This is going to end badly. Imagine what it costs to keep the lights on in all of those stores only to hand the outlets lower revenues this year. Apple needs to launch their new toilet because that's where most of their product is going to end up, way to go Tim Cook.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-ipootoilet-520x554.jpg
    04-04-16 01:19 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-1459791765509_979818.jpeg

Hamburg and Rome "leaked".. Will they see the light of day? Call me a dreamer but I believe Chen/BlackBerry still have hope to revive the handset business here.One, last(for real) try!

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 01:20 PM
    04-04-16 01:22 PM

That sort of realism is not welcome. Please revise your statement as follows: 'Apple are clueless and on the brink of total collapse'. Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    Eumaeus likes this.
    04-04-16 01:31 PM
113,256 ... 38763877387838793880 ...