View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Just received the BBM update with the free privacy controls.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Does it include FUD filters?
    cjcampbell, Corbu, CDM76 and 4 others like this.
    04-01-16 06:41 PM
    Another dismal earnings release. But all is not lost. It is also another cash flow positive quarter.
    Now the handsets may not be selling. But I think I see Chen's strategy with the Priv being to create a very good, very secure Android phone and not worry about the price. You won't get too many consumer purchases with that strategy. But they may yet capture enough corporate sales. Blackberry does have a story to sell with its ability to consistently push security patches on the day that Google announces the latest set of issues.
    I agree with what you're saying, somewhat.
    BlackBerry has built a top-notch phone with a secure version of Android. Unlike the Z10, it is being praised for its quality. As with the counter-argument to BB10 being a "enterprise" device, enterprise customers are consumers with families as well. It was important to get a good, solid device out and start the positive brand image again. People who receive Privs through work will show them to their friends. Maybe their friends say "wow, it's nice, but too expensive for me", but at least they give the BlackBerry brand credit again

This gives BlackBerry a good play moving forward. They already have an Android OS, and they're starting to create positivity around the brand. If they can release an affordable device now (and one they can afford to produce more inventory of), they might be able to gain new customers and improve carrier relations/distribution.

What's disappointing, is that Chen doesn't even have a device in mind for this situation. He's talking about what he's considering. There needs to be a mid-range device NOW, as it's obvious the Priv is not for everyone (price-wise)
    04-01-16 07:02 PM
    Does it include FUD filters?
    What a laugh! But sorry Bungaboy, it doesn't include FUD filter. Maybe Blaze should think about FUD filter for CB, that way MODS can get some rest. Cheers mate!

P.S. Price is worth billions.

Corbu, CDM76 and bungaboy like this.
    04-01-16 07:04 PM
    Simple one : When signing for services (BES, Good, Watchdox, ...) what's the proportion of customers requiring/asking for a fleet of BlackBerry devices ? Other way to ask : is there a bundled offer licenses+devices ? [underneath : is that where J.C took his stubborn approach against HW division ?]
    Noted. Thanks SF!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-01-16 07:08 PM
    BlackBerry CEO sets September deadline for hardware profit

High/Low lights

Mr. Chen pledged to increase software revenue by 30 per cent in the next fiscal year and to achieve that mark without needing so-called inorganic revenue through acquisitions.

plans to release a second, cheaper, BlackBerry handset powered by Android that might retail for $350. He described it as being in the mould of 2013�s Z30

�I�m willing to license my secure Android software, the virtual keyboard, Hub, Dtek [a security app]. Or to even put it on Google Play or app stores,� he said.

Mr. Chen said BlackBerry has hired 850 new people in the past year � 70 per cent in Canada � bringing global head count to 5,000, with 600 job openings he�s looking to fill
    CDM76, Corbu, morganplus8 and 9 others like this.
    04-01-16 07:23 PM
    I am so disappointed with our friend James! I was expecting him to apologize for doubting John Chen and the BlackBerry team for their hit with the 500 Million on software. Guess they have to find something else to pick on.

One more thing, Corbu, can you ask your friend if Blackberry will be having a beer party. Lol

Ok so he just makes up /keeps a $7 PT even though his EPS number is hugely changed. Wha?????

Forecast EPS loss more than cut in half. Software business much higher than forecast. Now 3.5x for the forecast software business rev.

This business is fierce he says. So why is MOBL PT so high given their business is ONE offering of cutthroat MDM?
    CDM76, Corbu, morganplus8 and 5 others like this.
    04-01-16 07:24 PM
    If it only were so easy.... having said that I am not convinced a new midrange BlackBerry Android will fare any better....

People and businesses are not buying their mobile phones...Big Players have economy of scale and Brand recognition.

I would expect more HW cost cutting and focus on selling of existing phones (only) to try to get to break even for next quarter...then evaluate...imo ... September was CEO Chen's target for decision on HW....

Anyway, (O'Leary) is advocating selling the assets period to big players who can make better use than BlackBerry, with its diminished resources, can... he has a point. .. but nothing CEO Chen doesn't already know....

How to best maximize shareholder value?....

from my awesome Passport

Posted via CB10
    Maybe Chen is putting on a game face that he can make hardware profitable at 3M device sales a year.....to entice anyone to buy the business.
    04-01-16 07:30 PM
    In the mould of Z30 ?????
    Sold !!!!!! I'm ready to buy two tomorrow !
    Second thought pretty sure I can justify three. And could probably sell at least another dozen friends and family on it too. Just keep it under $500 CDN.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 07:32 PM
    You guys sound like horse track announcers. The gap in revenue clearly supports high hardware net product. And they arn't releasing any information. I believe this is because of the MASSIVE layoffs they recently executed.
    04-01-16 07:47 PM
    you guys sound like horse track announcers. The gap in revenue clearly supports high hardware net product. And they arn't releasing any information. I believe this is because of the massive layoffs they recently executed.
    really? Massive? Wow! Is that like when Bernie says "YUGE"?
    04-01-16 07:57 PM
    Volume is massive but I see no one hitting the panic button (read : to sell such volumes w/o making the SP in the toilet, there must be someone buying). I'd bet we'll be back in the $8's pretty soon...

Wow! Looks to be the said SF:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20160401_160030_edit.png

Voluminous!
    CDM76, Superfly_FR and rarsen like this.
    04-01-16 07:58 PM
    Ok so he just makes up /keeps a $7 PT even though his EPS number is hugely changed. Wha?????

Forecast EPS loss more than cut in half. Software business much higher than forecast. Now 3.5x for the forecast software business rev.

This business is fierce he says. So why is MOBL PT so high given their business is ONE offering of cutthroat MDM?
    That was one of the things that caught my eye too, EPS of (0.03.) I didn't see that headline anywhere and as for James and Mobl a perfect marriage.

When he said this business is fierce, I believe he was talking about his business. Lol

No matter what he and anyone says about BlackBerry the sun will rise tomorrow and the next day.

CDM76, rarsen and La Emperor like this.
    04-01-16 08:24 PM
    Bungaboy count to ten and if that doesn't work, then grab a Moosehead and drink it. If the problem doesn't go away repeat. Lol

Corbu, morganplus8, b121 and 4 others like this.
    04-01-16 08:51 PM
    I think you're mistaking Faucette with Gus Papageorgiou of Scotiabank? Faucette has been a BlackBerry bear for a long time. Here's a quote from him in November 2012, 2.5-3 months before the Z10 was even launched:

Bloomberg News | November 7, 2012 12:28 PM ET
    RIM BB10 to be dead on arrival, analyst says, causing shares to fall | Financial Post
    My bad looks like it was Simona only I was thinking of... either way, Faucette was right back then too? Someone send him a Priv 🙄
    http://bgr.com/2012/11/29/rim-goldman-sachs-optimistic/

Although, I concede that international sales could ramp up once the Priv hits around 400-450. I'm just not sure if I can use historical data to assume numbers because of all this press about quitting the handset business that they can't get away from. A great example of this so when Facebook dropped support and all of the headlines remarked on it as the end of blackberry... no mention of Priv or their android device of course
    Last edited by mtthwmtthw; 04-01-16 at 09:27 PM.
    04-01-16 08:59 PM
    Great summary!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    04-01-16 09:02 PM
    You guys sound like horse track announcers. The gap in revenue clearly supports high hardware net product. And they arn't releasing any information. I believe this is because of the MASSIVE layoffs they recently executed.
    Welcome to BlackBerry investing. Clearly you're new, so we'll try to explain things simply, but please sit back, read and learn like the rest of us have. This helps to avoid the repetitive nonsense that we hear from the doomsday crowd after every ER.

Welcome, and we look forward to any contributions that you may have in the future that add to the conversation instead of taking it off-rails
    Corbu, morganplus8, 3MIKE and 7 others like this.
    04-01-16 09:05 PM
    Bungaboy count to ten and if that doesn't work, then grab a Moosehead and drink it. If the problem doesn't go away repeat. Lol

After today/tonight we don't need any more flatulence in here. That's what Moosehead causes. Olands Export would be better.
    Corbu, La Emperor and Mr BBRY like this.
    04-01-16 09:07 PM
    I hope my spelling leaves you physical pain.
    OK, but please don't use words with a lot of letters because English isn't my first language. Thanks.
    Corbu, 3MIKE, La Emperor and 2 others like this.
    04-01-16 09:13 PM
    After today/tonight we don't need any more flatulence in here. That's what Moosehead causes. Olands Export would be better.
    I don't want to argue with you, so just send me a case of Olands Export from Halifax and we're all good.

Edit: please explain what the word "flatulence" means. My English very bad.

bungaboy, Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    04-01-16 09:30 PM
    My bad looks like it was Simona only I was thinking of... either way, Faucette was right back then too? Someone send him a Priv 🙄e
    Actually Gus Papageorgiou was more bullish on BlackBerry's potential than Simona.

If all Faucette did was write an analyst report that said BB10 would fail, and then sat back and watched to see what happened, he' would have had a 50/50 chance of being right. But, Faucette was far more active in attacking BlackBerry and questioning BB10 sales, I believe as early as the Z10's first weekend of sales. Didn't his firm pay that COO of a VZW regional seller for VZW confidential BB10 sales figures and then claimed BlackBerry had more returns than actual sales? No. Faucette wasn't right. He was manipulating the market to make his prediction come true.
    04-01-16 10:21 PM
    On a positive note, we've had a lot of great posts and activity in the thread today.

I've actually felt unsettled most of the day (probably like many of us) since prioritizing the bbry conference call over the work one I was supposed to be on this morning. . I went the Hendricks route rather than Moosehead... I must say it's excellent, and was very much needed.

Since the experts on his thread have done such a great job providing insights on the information shared today, I don't have much to add about the results. Thank you all!

Just a little OT:

However, I would like to share a VZW story from today (and I think there is merit to the delayed availability from this major US carrier hurting the top line number... We are talking about only a few hundred thousand devices making the difference in the results).

Before today, I have only seen one Priv in the wild, and it was connecting in a European airport business lounge (I did a drouble take ). Ready to upgrade from my aging classic (and being out of contract), I went to a local Verizon store in a large US city today hoping to get my hands on the priv (and of course check out the S7 and other devices there).

Long story short, the rep was good at his job. He wasn't the most knowledgable, but took me seriously, was very attentive, and engaged actively and honestly about blackberry. This was among my best ever VZW customer experiences. However, he didn't think they had a display unit and when looking for one in stock for me to see, it turned out they were sold out (not a lot of units of course) but could be ordered online. I couldn't believe in a store this big (easily 50+ phones on display including the classic) that bbry didn't have one out.

When I was getting ready to leave, I asked if they had the iPhone SE in stock (my wife is thinking about going to iPhone against my pleas ). As it turned out, they had a priv on display on the other side of the store (not near the S7 or classic). . I was very relieved.

After a few minutes with it, I was pretty impressed (If not a shareholder, I might have still gone for the Galaxy ). When I got back to the office, I asked our IT team to see if he could order a priv for me . I'll keep you posted. Perhaps only 299,999 more to go.

I hope with the broader availability and more getting out there, bbry can actually realize an uptick in hardware in Q1. I, for one, am a believer the company is better with the hardware division.

Good night all! Thanks for the reading today!
    Last edited by b121; 04-02-16 at 07:15 AM.
    04-01-16 11:34 PM

Edit: please explain what the word "flatulence" means. My English very bad.

Isn't that what we call "l�cher une fuse" in French?
    FR33MAN, bungaboy and Corbu like this.
    04-02-16 12:21 AM
    Really ?
    Mr. Chen said BlackBerry has hired 850 new people in the past year – 70 per cent in Canada – bringing global head count to 5,000, with 600 job openings he’s looking to fill
    Seems you're at least 1 quarter late for re-hashing this that way, isn't it ?
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-02-16 at 03:40 AM.
    04-02-16 03:18 AM
    04-02-16 03:24 AM
    Isn't that what we call "l�cher une fuse" in French?
    Huge OT alert : learn French with Supa' series.

Disclaimer : please have your breakfast first

Well, flatulence is the same in French; generally it's used in plural, so add an ending "s" for the sake of it.
    But if you refer to the action of releasing it here's a gradient list from the most acceptable to the most - slang - rude expressions :
    "flatuler", "l�cher un vent (that's a silent one)", "p�ter / faire un pet", "l�cher une perle/perlouse", "lacher une mouise", "loufer" ...

Bonus ('coz you worth it)
    "P�ter plus haut que son cul" is argotic but not rude and barely related - finally - to flatulence.
    It means pretentious.

2X Bonus:
    If you get caught or want to signify the infamy, we have a very vivid expression : "�a pique les yeux" ["it stings my eyes"] !

Have a great weekend gang !
    FR33MAN, bungaboy, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    04-02-16 03:39 AM
113,256 ... 38723873387438753876 ...