View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    "He noted that by exiting the hardware business, BlackBerry would become a US$1.4 billion per year enterprise software company, with a forecasted operating margin of 33 per cent and US$1.4 billion in net cash.

That is a �much better overall picture than today,� Chan told clients."

Well, as a major investor (and longtime BlackBerry user), its the middle of the road that's killing them ..

Hope there is clarity April 1st .... Either BlackBerry: 1) Demonstrates that HW can be a profitable and sustainable business offering for the firm, or 2) Sell or unwind that aspect of the business division and focus on strategic areas (Software, security, services, other IOT devices, IP monetization, etc.) where they can be a very competitive, growing and profitable technology company .. IMO ...

no one understands this better than CEO Chen ...
    And start selling experience suite once the hub in enhanced a bit...and it's working well on M.

If they exit hardware....What does that value the business at...10x 500M + 1.4B net cash = 6.4B or $12/shr?

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor and app_Developer like this.
    03-28-16 12:08 PM
    "He noted that by exiting the hardware business, BlackBerry would become a US$1.4 billion per year enterprise software company, with a forecasted operating margin of 33 per cent and US$1.4 billion in net cash.

That is a �much better overall picture than today,� Chan told clients."

Well, as an investor (and longtime BlackBerry user), its the middle of the road that's killing them ..

Hope there is clarity April 1st .... Either BlackBerry: 1) Demonstrates that HW can be a profitable and sustainable business offering for the firm, or 2) Sell or unwind that aspect of the business division and focus on strategic areas (Software, security, services, other IOT devices, IP monetization, etc.) where they can be a very competitive, growing and profitable technology company .. IMO ...

no one understands this better than CEO Chen ...
    3) demonstrate that HW (including IP) can be profitable, and of even more value to another player. Sell these assets, and use the proceeds to make an investment in SW that puts them in the forefront for the next 2 decades

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 02:29 PM
    I think everyone is over reacting about hardware. Blackberry doesn't announce a new phone until the latest one has been fully distributed. Why would the announce a mid-range Android at MWC when high-end Priv was yet to be released with Verizon?

Now that it's out everywhere, we should get some news on the next phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 03:20 PM
    3) demonstrate that HW (including IP) can be profitable, and of even more value to another player. Sell these assets, and use the proceeds to make an investment in SW that puts them in the forefront for the next 2 decades
    Or maybe split the company up so those of us who want to invest in the future can do so without carrying this ambiguous commitment to phones?
    03-28-16 03:42 PM
    03-28-16 05:06 PM
    Priv won against the Google Nexus 6P & 5X and is now in the quarter final. Click on the link and scroll down. That is the only place I could find it reported. It is on the diagram as well.
    Microsoft Lumia 950 & 950 XL vs. Alcatel Idol 4 & 4S: Smartphone Madness 2016
    bungaboy, masterful, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    03-28-16 05:07 PM
    LOL.. you can't make this stuff up!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 05:28 PM
    The FBI certainly can.
    03-28-16 06:41 PM
    The FBI certainly can.
    For what

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    03-28-16 07:47 PM
    A question from the amateur, if something is valued at zero, is it possible to use negative zero?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    03-28-16 08:31 PM
    Anecdotal but so typical of what has been happening to BlackBerry over the last few years, in our era of "anyone can call himself a journalist".

This headline:
    BlackBerry Ltd’s hardware business may soon be gone
    http://business.financialpost.com/in...y-soon-be-gone

Gives rise to those two headlines (and many more coming, probably):
    Analyst: BlackBerry Preparing To Exit Hardware Market | Androidheadlines.com
    Analyst: BlackBerry To Focus On Software Business To Remain Profitable

Please don't click them. You won't learn anything anyway.

A real shame we have had to tolerate such constant bullying and misinformation over the years.
    03-28-16 09:24 PM
    4 things you will love about the BlackBerry Priv and 3 things you will not -

Don’t be put off by the sales person who is trying to sell you the latest phone where he/she gets their biggest commission from. Take time to make an informed decision and try it for yourself.
    Yes.
    03-28-16 09:54 PM
    ER guesstimate:

Services 140M
    Hardware 330M on 1M devices
    Software 160M
    Other 10M

Total Rev 640M

EPS +.09

Week close SP: $9.50

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 10:12 PM
    Well to begin with, a Z30-2, Passport 2 [...]
    Posted via CB10
    So, you mean BB10 devices.

warning : all below is 100% speculation, there's no factual information herein.

I believe there might be a future in this area but won't fit what most (here) expect.
    Starter : BB10 going forward (major version) would probably lose its ART if the PRIV or any other Android device remain in the catalog.
    Second : general audience apps will more than likely miss at least for a while.
    Third : the price tag will be high, under the high grade / high security marketing justification (and the mandatory high ASP, to remain at least close to break even).

So, while I'd applause such direction (I DO believe there's a "most secure" market and the 3 points above will be negligible in this context), wonders might be ... but probably not where and in smaller proportions (earnings wise) one might think.
    Bottom line : keywords "most, unique, unmatched" have to be tracked in next E.R. We'll probably have to read between the lines (re: guess estimate) again; if PRIV met a reasonable success, only the next occurrence of an Android device will be the justice of the pace.

Again, IMHO, personal, etc.
    03-29-16 05:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    Appears like certainty now ... and apple to fight back to force FBI to reveal how they did it.
    Marketing 101 : don't pretend you can do if you can't.
    Related rule : If you failed, shut up.

[sorry google translated]
    The standoff is not over between Apple and the FBI . This is certainly a victory for announcing have managed to decipher the iPhone 5C San Bernardino . But Apple now wants to know how he did it. And the firm is ready to go to court to compel the agency to reveal that secret, according to the website Business Insider.
    Source : https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Related resource : http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-go...-iphone-2016-3
    03-29-16 05:37 AM
    Appears like certainty now ... and apple to fight back to force FBI to reveal how they did it.
    Marketing 101 : don't pretend you can do if you can't.
    Related rule : If you failed, shut up.

[sorry google translated]

Source : https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Related resource : Government withdrawing Apple iPhone case - Business Insider
    Marketing rule 101... if you don't have to pay to get your name out there, don't.

In general BlackBerry fans are a little more security aware than the average consumer out there. So while BlackBerry users might see this as negative publicity.... I bet for Apple and their marketing and PR teams this has been a windfall. Apples name all over the news at the same time as a new product launch, priceless.
    03-29-16 07:28 AM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    https://bb10qnx.de/2016/03/leak-andr...lackberry-rom/

New phones, perhaps? BlackBerry hamburg, BlackBerry rome?
    Sorry, if already posted...

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 395605
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 03-29-16 at 08:05 AM.
    rarsen, morganplus8, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    03-29-16 07:47 AM
    https://bb10qnx.de/2016/03/leak-andr...lackberry-rom/

New phones, perhaps? BlackBerry hamburg, BlackBerry rome?
    Sorry, if already posted...

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 395605
    I've read about this rumor already.. If something, it there is a bit of truth behind it, it means hw is going nowehere-> Priv is selling as expected (not saying "well",just: as expected).
    P.s. Venice->Italian city-> became Priv
    Vienna->Austrian city-> became nothing (atm)
    Rome->Italia city-> will become.. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    03-29-16 08:10 AM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BlackBerry CEO: 'I think we're close' to making money on phones. January 2016

April 1.... ?

Hope he stuns investors with a big beat.... and reports profitability in all divisions... short ratios so high on this stock... CEO chen can make it pop big time if he can deliver....seems a lot are betting he can't...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 03-29-16 at 10:54 AM.
    Corbu, rarsen, La Emperor and 8 others like this.
    03-29-16 08:11 AM
    03-29-16 08:23 AM
    On the Radar asset tracking solution to be presented later this week:
    Internet of Things ? MATS ? BlackBerry IoT - Global
    BlackBerry to unveil Radar asset tracker at Mid-America Trucking Show - Cantech Letter

Further signaling its move into the mobile asset tracking Internet of Things market, BlackBerry will be unveiling a new product called Radar at the 2016 Mid-America Trucking Show (MATS), taking place at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville, Kentucky, from March 31 to April 2, 2016.

BlackBerry Radar is billed as “a turnkey solution for managing containers, trailers, and inventory with dramatically improved efficiency.”

At the Mid-America Trucking Show, BlackBerry promises to showcase Radar as “a new perspective on transport logistics” that can help truck fleet managers to run their business “with a completely integrated, comprehensive trailer management service, including a self-powered device, connectivity, and cloud-based apps”

Last November, Sandeep Chennakeshu, President of BlackBerry Technology Solutions, hinted at BlackBerry’s next major play in the Internet of Things market, a 200 mm weatherproof high-value asset tracking box with an IP67 certification and a five-year battery life.

BlackBerry Technology Solutions was created in 2014 to encompass BlackBerry’s existing IoT platform, Project Ion, along with QNX Software Systems, Certicom cryptography applications, Paratek RF antenna tuning, along with BlackBerry’s extensive portfolio platform, which consists of over 44,000 patents valued between $2 billion and $3 billion.

“It is 100 per cent our design and concept,” said Chennakeshu, speaking to New Delhi’s Indian Express. “We have patented it and will start proof of concept trials in November… I am very proud of my guys. This has never been done before, not with power of its own. When we started, the idea was to build it cheap. And I should be able to install it in less than 10 minutes.”

Citing the size of the trucking market, at 177 million trucks, Chennakeshu also implied that the asset tracking technology could be used for pretty much anything, whether “very expensive cars” or “children or police cars”.

Cormark analyst Richard Tse, referring to a presentation he saw at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, told Cantech Letter, “Based on a presentation by BlackBerry’s President of BlackBerry Technology Solutions, Sandeep Chennakeshu, it appears there’s more movement on this initiative that was originally presented in a similar forum at last year’s CES. While it’s still early, it appears BlackBerry has been able to sign on a number of large trials with potential transportation/logistics customers for its end-to-end proprietary tracking solution that would work globally.”

BlackBerry Radar promises real-time and detailed information about containers and trailers for truck fleet managers, improving asset visibility on mobile assets and reducing operational costs.

BlackBerry will be set up in the Trucking Show’s North Hall, booth #16228.
    03-29-16 08:39 AM
    03-29-16 10:19 AM
    More Priv love!

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/03/...m-in-practice/

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    03-29-16 10:33 AM
    OT: What can a hacker realistically do to my car and should I be worried?

What can a hacker realistically do to my car and should I be worried? - The Globe and Mail

" . . . Dongle dangers

Even if car companies do fix the problem, there are aftermarket devices - like telematics devices that monitor driving and send the info to parents or insurance companies - that plug into the diagnostics port and can easily give hackers access to your car�s key system.

�You�ve now attached some device to a critical part of your car that typically has a cellular connection,� Smith said.

The best way to keep your car safe from hackers?

Make sure your dealer is installing software updates. And keep checking the manufacturer�s website for warnings of security issues.

�Don�t plug in foreign dongles and don�t drive with them,� Smith said. �Otherwise, it�s consumer beware.�
    03-29-16 11:01 AM
    So, you mean BB10 devices.
    Not necessarily. I mean an updated newer version with same form factor. Built device loyalty. Switching device names all the time doesn't build that name recognition we had with Bold. IPhone has device recognition because every damn phone they make has that name. How would you feel if you were a case maker and constantly changing the design or an app developer constantly having to change the screen size/resolution ? I'd hate making cases and designing apps for those devices so I may just not bother.

I don't care if it's Z30-2 or Priv 2. Just keep a damn name and form factor and update it a couple of times. Build some device recognition and device loyalty.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-16 11:12 AM
113,250 ... 38613862386338643865 ...