702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    03-21-16 05:01 PM
    03-21-16 05:25 PM
    03-21-16 05:49 PM
    OT:
    FBI 'may be able to unlock San Bernardino iPhone' - BBC News

The FBI says it may have found a way to unlock the San Bernardino attacker's iPhone without Apple's assistance.

The US Justice Department (DOJ) has filed a request to postpone a hearing with Apple scheduled for Tuesday, citing new leads in the case.

Prosecutors said "an outside party" had demonstrated a possible way of unlocking the iPhone.

03-21-16 06:54 PM

Z10 STL100-3/10.3.2.2876
    3MIKE and bungaboy like this.
    03-21-16 07:10 PM
    So.. VRX trading below 30 USD.. Still uninvestable? :-)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/valean...205029756.html

Posted via CB10
    OT It's not 'investing' at this point, lol. Still, all they need to do is sell of Bausch and Lomb, pay off all their near term debt payments for the next few years and boom...off to the races.

Posted via CB10
    _dimi_, Mr BBRY and BanffMoose like this.
    03-21-16 07:25 PM
    Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC

James E. Faucette

March 22, 2016

BlackBerry Ltd

FQ4 "Priv-iew"

Industry View: Cautious
    Stock Rating: Equal-weight
    Price Target: $7.00

We pull forward Priv revenues on a change in revenue recognition, but timeline to device profitability and organic software revenue growth remain under question going into the earnings call.

Better availability points to device uptick but path to break even remains a question. Our checks on the Priv at carrier retail locations found a slight improvement in demand and availability over previous launches for the Classic and Passport. Our previous estimates contemplated some momentum with Priv, but we adjust our estimates slightly upwards as management indicated that associated revenues will be recognized on a sell-in basis (vs. sellthrough for many previous models). Going forward, the Priv's planned rollout at other carriers should maintain some momentum, but after early purchase activity we do not think Priv demand will be sufficient to meet the company's break even target of roughly 5mm units. Recently reported headcount reductions could have lowered the break even threshold, but we expect the company will need to launch multiple new devices before the segment could achieve standalone profitability.

Organic software run-rate a focus area. With a full quarter of contributions from acquisitions up to Good Technology, investors should gain a better sense of the organic growth from software. As highlighted in our previous estimate revision, management's cautionary comments at CES and exclusion of legacy service and support from organic revenue calculations lead us to believe that core QNX, BES12, Certicom and BBM growth remains modest. Without demonstrating sustained growth after acquiring revenue, we continue to believe the market gives too much credit for software at current valuations.

Pulling forward devices revenue on Priv launch momentum. Our 4Q16 and FY17 revenue / EPS estimates are now $569mm / ($0.13) and $1.90bn / ($0.68) from $535mm / ($0.13) and $1.93bn ($0.68) respectively. The slight downtick in FY17 revenue estimates represents a pull forward in Priv revenue after changing recognition to a sell-in basis.

Remain EW with a $7PT, but continuation of devices business warrants additional caution. Our $7 PT is 4-5x our forecast for a ~$600mm/yr software and messaging business and ~$2.50/share in net cash. Management’s plan to develop an additional Android handset and insufficient organic software revenue growth may reduce the ability to improve net cash position through cost cutting. For the time being, the flexibility of the balance sheet, the opportunity for further cost cuts in the core business and acquired assets and the ability to generate cash at reduced revenue levels outweigh poor business fundamentals for the time being.
    03-22-16 07:00 AM
    We don't need to get 5 mil.
    Based on the ASP of the Priv, BlackBerry only needs to sell 1.5 to 2.5 mil Priv's per year. Add in BB10 devices, and we should be breakeven this year at least

Z10 STL100-3/10.3.2.2876
    03-22-16 07:24 AM
    So much lipstick on this piece it's hard to read. Priv sales are pulled forward due to sell in so reducing full year estimates? Does this make sense to anyone?

Morgan might get his sub 8 entry for those calls this morning...

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    03-22-16 07:30 AM

Z10 STL100-3/10.3.2.2876
    Got to really laugh at the ending of the video someone else posted above

Passport running on 10.3.2. 2876
    03-22-16 08:19 AM
    How come AAPL is rallying on bad news?

Z10 STL100-3/10.3.2.2876
    lech31 likes this.
    03-22-16 08:53 AM
    How come AAPL is rallying on bad news?

Z10 STL100-3/10.3.2.2876
    A new low/medium price point phone is bad news?
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    03-22-16 09:04 AM
    We don't need to get 5 mil.
    Based on the ASP of the Priv, BlackBerry only needs to sell 1.5 to 2.5 mil Priv's per year. Add in BB10 devices, and we should be breakeven this year at least
    How, exactly, does that follow? There are factors that need to be considered other than just units sold and price per unit. The manufacturing cost per unit increases with lower volume, for a start. I'd say 2.5 million phones per year is still not even close to sustainable.
    03-22-16 10:10 AM
    The FBI knew they were going to lose in court, so they're dropping the case to avoid setting a precedent they don't like.
    03-22-16 10:14 AM
    A new low/medium price point phone is bad news?
    The FBI says they don't need apples help to unlock the iPhone because they have figured out a way, blowing away the marketing cover that Apple is secure.

Z10 STL100-3/10.3.2.2876
    03-22-16 10:16 AM
    It is about time! You know what I mean.

Posted from my trusted Passport
    03-22-16 10:21 AM
    Andy? No I don't LOL.. Where is bunga?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Andy_bb_king, bungaboy and Corbu like this.
    03-22-16 10:24 AM
    It is about time! You know what I mean.

Posted from my trusted Passport
    FUD Busters . . . sleeper cell signal activated.
    Corbu, rarsen, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    03-22-16 10:56 AM
    Andy? No I don't LOL.. Where is bunga?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Magically appears. LoL
    Corbu and ZayDub like this.
    03-22-16 10:57 AM
    Usual suspects. Usual dates and timing.

Posted Via blackberry passport.
    bungaboy, Corbu, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    03-22-16 11:00 AM
    The FBI knew they were going to lose in court, so they're dropping the case to avoid setting a precedent they don't like.
    Riiiight! Would you please provide verifiable evidence for this statement?
    Corbu, masterful, Mr BBRY and 1 others like this.
    03-22-16 11:00 AM
    The FBI says they don't need apples help to unlock the iPhone because they have figured out a way, blowing away the marketing cover that Apple is secure.

Z10 STL100-3/10.3.2.2876
    That's your concern....

I just don't think most consumers really believe that the goverment couldn't do it to begin with, so I doubt the FBI suddenly dropping the hearing with Apple is going to affect sales. And I don't think investors think that either. They see a new product that will open Apple up to a new level of the smartphone market and an opportunity for Apple to increase sales and revenues.

The only way that really matters to BBRY is that Apple has been moving in on their existing customer base. But until the process of unlocking that phone is known and if it would apply to managed devices... it means very little. Their unlocking the phone may have more to do with examining the screen to see where it's worn the most, maybe they found the guys logon data on his computer?
    03-22-16 11:01 AM
    This circus act is making me sick!

Change of topic!

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/03/...erry-products/

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    rarsen, Corbu, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    03-22-16 11:06 AM
    'Twas the week before ER, when all through the thread
    Not a creature was stirring, not even a CJ;
    The options were bought by the shorts who dare,
    In hopes that the Bear Raid soon would be there;
    The Fudsters were ready all smug in their heads;
    While visions of infractions danced in their heads;
    03-22-16 11:11 AM
    If you watched the recent congressional hearings, I did, the FBI director was asked by a congressman who previously worked for a security company why the FBI didn't clone the phones memory, thereby giving them multiple attempts at failures if necessary. The FBI director did his hummana hummanas and said I have to check with my people who tell me we can't do this without Apple's help.

Would I be surprised that the company this Congressman had previously worked for then approached the FBI and told them that they could do this, having heard the testimony that they had not considered it? When I read the story about the FBI now saying they no longer need Apple's help, that's what came into my mind. Most likely the FBI isn't going to tell us how they get in.

I am not sure if this blows away the "marketing cover" or not. You need to have physical access to the phone, pull the memory modules out, clone them, then do multiple brute force attempts until in.
    03-22-16 11:39 AM
113,252 ... 38573858385938603861 ...